Not going to try to catch this falling knife. Will start buying again when it stabilizes or starts to rise a little. If I miss a big jump up, so be it. My dry powders gonna ride this one out. Best of luck to all.
There's reason to be optimistic with recent discoveries in GOM, tighter handling of capital expenditures and liquidation of lower performing assets. Buttttt.... Will the plane shot down over Ukraine and Israel going into the Gaza Strip kick off an overdue correction? Total and BP both down more than 21/2% today. Took caution today and sold, but open to getting back in with any sizeable pull back. Good luck to those hanging in there.
As Guru indicated those were the years my friend. I don't believe they'll repeat again (at least not in my lifetime). I started investing (SPDIF & Shell Provident Fund) in '78 and continued to contribute until '92 at which time I had amassed 2 times my annual salary by splitting (& holding) my (and the companies) contributions between Shell/RDSa and the US Equity fund. In '92 I stopped my personal contributions (relying on the companies 10% contribution) and got out of the buy and hold mentality and started buying pull-backs and selling what I thought were peaks. I took a company package and retired in '05 at 53 and now have over 25 times my retiring salary in the Provident fund. I can only guess where I'd be if I had continued to contribute and held off retiring until the Shell norm of 58-60. With a few more 10% years, the little lady and I should be able to maintain our current lifestyle (which is annually spending more than my retirement salary). Bottom line, there's more than one way to skin a cat. We're very thankful and realize how very fortunate we've been. GLTA and keep up the great posts. And for you younger investors - Figure out what method you're comfortable with, contribute as much as you can, as soon as you can, as long as you can.
Joining those on the sidelines today. Grateful for current run-up (+ yesterday's dividend payment) and will wait for reversal to jump back in. They say "Out in May and STAY AWAY" but that wasn't last year's case and hopefully won't be this year either. GL
Been in for awhile and needed this little run-up to make up for last Wed/Thur pullback. Looking forward to tomorrow's Dividend Payment. GLTA
I sold yesterday (Tues) at the close of market and recovered all (plus a little) that was lost in Monday's pull-back. I was curious if any believe there's good reason to be in RD on the day (Thurs, 3/13) the new CEO Ben van Beurden is scheduled to give his asset sale (liquidation) strategy presentation.
I joined you and jumped out at the close today Ray. Very happy with our better than 5% gain on this run-up. As you say probably got out early, but heading south tomorrow morning to visit some of my snow-bird friends at the London Bridge (Lake Havasu) and won't be monitoring the market for 10 or so days. GLTA (especially those still in).
Very GOOD week (just about paid for this year's 401k systematic withdrawals). Took Shasta's (Russian roulette) advice and didn't buy Monday of last week, but have been in since close last Wednesday and will continue to hold until trend shows some sign of reversal. Maybe Ray's 71.50 target???
I put 5 toes in at close of market on Wed. So far so good. Not saying your low volume comment is wrong, but it could also be viewed as a lot of folks not selling. Personally, I think it's both. It's truly a gamble these days. I may take the little bump and run...... Or stay a little longer for the dividend. Hanging close to the trigger...
I'm thinking (like you Guru) that no matter what's in the announcement tomorrow the price should not go up. If the earnings are better than what was in the new CEO's pre announcement warning the price should be penalized for misleading shareholders. If the announcement is as bad as previously stated the price shouldn't profit (maybe flat line), and if the announcement is worse than stated in the warning the stock price should be hit. I'm staying in the hurry up and wait mode (100% Thrift in 401k). JMHO & GLTA. But, then again, logic doesn't always prevail, does it?
Massive profit warning on Thursday and a little drop. Today there's a nice bump (so far). I'm thinking, with the profit warning, there should've been a 10% (or so) drop?? My questions for the board are: Will RD beat expectations If at the earning announcement they declare earnings greater than the recently projected profit warning of $2.9 billion? And, was RD so depressed prior to the massive profit warning that they lose very little ground with such a warning?
I also jumped ship / sold and am very happy with this run. Would probably take a large pull-back to tempt me to buy before announcement date (Thurs - 30Jan). So, I'll wait for a large pull-back or guidance from my financial advisors (you guys) before re-entry ---- GLTA..
Currently in at 50%, and plan to play the ups and downs until Fri (24-Jan) at which time I'll most likely be out until the announcement (last couple have been really bad). After announcement will play the ups and downs until ex-div day where I'll be in 100%. Too bad but Shell's first to announce this quarter so we won't get any help from the other major oil co's announcements (which all come later). GLTA
I also got out too early Wednesday before last at $67.44, but did something I usually don't do and got back in after 3 straight up days last Friday at $69.55. Can't catch it all, but still in and looking / hoping for more upside. It's been very interesting to say the least. Good Luck and a happy / prosperous year to you all.
20% that's ironic. I made a minor misstep getting out yesterday protecting my 20% gain for this year. I agree there's some good money to be made next year. Question is: When will I jump back in? GLTA