jbird--Hope you're right. I got very lucky last week. Had sold some Apr $41 calls back when I got in around $38. Bought the calls back for .25 on Friday and plan to hold through earnings. Hard to predict where we will be in a month or a year, but given the continued growth of this sector backing us up, I think holding through earnings (which I'm not usually crazy about) makes sense for FEYE.
fab--New to investing in airlines, but lower fuel prices and my belief our recent oil rally is about done resulted in taking a partial position. Could you or someone here explain why the upcoming fare discount? All the flights I am on seem to always be full, so why the need for a discount?
If you're conservative you probably wouldn't be here, but if you lean that direction, you can sell the Jul $70 calls for $7.00, making you around 20% from here. Downside of course it that the stock goes to the moon and your shares get called away. Still worth considering for part of your position, as expectations are very high and it may be tough to significantly exceed them.
CHKP up nicely after earnings, FTNT up over $3 afterhours. The entire sector looks strong. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cybersecurity-rally-seen-q1-results-230900743.html
FTNT up over $3 A/H. Nice article re rally in cybersecurity makes tomorrow very likely to move higher. I expect at least $45 before earnings, and possibly even high $40's by then. Not a good time to be short. Here's the link.
Not one person on this board believes you were short $630,000 worth of stock. To acquire that kind of money, you have to achieve some level of success (usually). Successful people don't go around calling total strangers idiots on message boards.
I like to make some $$$ whenever a volatile stock gets a decent move and have been kicking myself for selling the Apr $41 calls a few weeks ago, after buying FEYE for $38. Was able to buy calls back for very little this morning, and hope to see another spike and chance to sell calls out of the money for a nice premium.
Any upgrade is welcome news to us longs, but JMP has far less credibility than JPM. I have always suspected that the similarity of the name JMP to JPM was no accident.
amohr--Thanks for the rec on VDSI. Started a small position under $23, happily added more yesterday, and loving this move today. Did you take profit on your synthetic FEYE calls? Amazing how quickly things can turn around in this market. Which is why I usually take a quick profit when it is 10% or more. Plan on holding VDSI awhile since it is not pricey like FEYE and CYBR. Half my CYBR is probably being called away tomorrow (bought at $51 and sold Apr $55 calls for $3.30). If we get a run into earnings, I'll sell the May $70 calls on my remaining shares.
But as we all know, price targets don't mean much. Not unusual at all to see them significantly exceeded. Of course, the opposite is also sometimes true. If CYBR can continue the same growth rate, it goes higher. If not, it falls. I felt I had to own at least some given the future growth of this sector, but am too uncertain to commit to any large stake. We will know soon enough.
Sticking with last week's guess of $41.50. Those wanting to buy in may get a better entry this week. Longer term I think we are headed higher, but this is, after all, FEYE and we won't go straight up.
tiger--We have all been there. Greed is a killer. Whenever I get a quick move and have a profit, I sell 1/2 to 1/3 of my holdings. If the stock pulls back, I can buy it much cheaper and have money left over. If the stock runs higher, I'm still happy to see my remaining stock going higher. As we know, most stocks sell off sharply when they spike, and DGLY has a history of this. I'm holding a small position at least until earnings to see if they can deliver on growth.
Lottery tickets are a terrible metaphor for investing. With lottery tickets winning is pure luck and chances of a significant win are terrible. With investing, provided the company products and/or sector are in demand and the entry point is not too high, chances of making money are much higher. The most immediate question is the price of the stock today. Given the sharp spike the past couple days, where will profit taking begin? Demand will be there, but that story will take time to unfold, and we have to weigh how well DGLY can compete with TASR.
You changed your mind about FEYE? I'm surprised. Aren't you concerned the company will disappoint and you will get put a bunch of overvalued shares? Are you primarily going with the sentiment and momentum?
tiger--Hope you're right. I'll be out before then, but hope it continues soaring. Taking a $2 hit the next day after I bought in makes me nervous about staying around very long. I think someone uses this stock as their personal piggy bank and I don't want to be on the wrong side when decide to switch and go the other way. Having said that, it is a terrific stock to trade.
Looks like you're feeling better! If you bought on the pullback, consider selling some. That way if the stock pulls back you can feel good that you made a nice profit on this bounce. If the stock continues soaring, worst thing is that you make great money on remaining holdings. It is not unusual to see huge volume one day followed by normal to even lower volume the next. If that happens we will see some profit taking. Good luck to you and other longs.