I gotta agree. I was in for the NRF spin when the existing shareholders received shares in the new company without any payment, and the purchase prices and cost basis were adjusted accordingly. It was a tax-free transaction. Compare that to PSEC. I have been very disappointed by this deal, and, unfortunately, I'm out .... too much risk. Maybe it will work out, but I don't think the average investor can even understand it.
Happy to hear about your pants. One reason to do a reverse split when your stock is below $5 is because a lot of institutions and funds can't buy stock below $5 as that's in their by-laws.
I don't understand. You say that the cash would have to stay in the company, but the shareholders get nothing. Who owns the company, and therefore the cash? "The shareholders have to be compensated" is the same thing as what you are saying. You CANNOT sell the assets of the company with the owners of the company getting nothing. Period. If the money goes into the company, the shareholders are still getting it.
In Dec. 2013, I had a lot of NRF. They announced a spin, and the two companies are now worth an average of about $22 plus dividends. If PSEC handles this correctly - and I do think they are sharp marketeers - the effect is likely to be at least a double and maybe a triple.
No, I don't think management has to ask the shareholders as long as this is considered to be in the normal course of business. I am saying that the shareholders own all of the assets of PSEC. If PSEC spins off part, the shareholders have to be compensated with stock.
I posted a comment to your post with a link to the registration statement for the first company to be spun: Prospect Yield Corp. I said that your post [and mine] were pulled by Yahoo because they don't allow URL's. The opening paragraph provides a mechanism for allowing your investment in PSEC between the several companies. Maybe you can post some of it .... it's your find.
Good find. Yahoo won't allow a URL in these posts. It's your story, and you deserve the credit ... maybe you can find a way to do it, or copy part of it and post it, etc.
Good find, Pet2401.
The talk about buying shares is just a way to allocate the investment you have already made between the three companies. Let's say that there was one additional company to keep it simple. If you paid $100 for your PSEC stock, and they spun off 40% into a new company, then you get to use $40 of your investment to purchase the new company, and your PSEC stock is now worth $60 'cause it has less assets. That's the general idea.
Look dude ...
The shareholders OWN the company, all of its assets, and all of its liabilities. It isn't up to management to decide whether or not the shareholders get anything ... where did anyone get that idea. Management could sell additional shares if they need more capital, but that is really no different than a SPO.
If there is a delay, it's probably because the stock price is too low for a SPO to be accretive. I don't know what the BV would be on the assets spun so I'm not sure. If that is the case, then they might have to re-structure the whole deal, or even just wait ....
Yes, they have essentially already announced $0.16. Earnings for RSO and other interest sensitive stocks have gone down because interest rates have flattened. Ergo, long rates need to go up, and I think this has begun to happen slowly. By the end of next year, we could be back at $0.20 and $6.50 a share. If so, it would be a huge win from here.
I suppose that could be true, but I think they've addressed it in another presentation as well. Do I recall correctly? Two mentions would imply more than just an off-the-wall thought.
And let us not forget that the world is hungry for yield right now. I think that once RSO's operation is perceived the way you describe it, we won't have to wait for everything to have been accomplished. Trust will come back, and the yield will go down. A $1.00 divy and a 10% yield, and I make a small fortune .... not only possible, but likely over the next couple of years IMHO.
I agree with you except that I believe we'll see better earnings sooner. Thoughts:
RSO had AFFO of $0.17 in the 4th quarter. I can't think of anything in the 1st quarter that would result in that number going down.
They stated in the CC that they lost $0.04 in the 4th quarter due to unexpected interest rate changes that messed up their hedging in the RMBS unit. I believe that was a big surprise for everyone, but the 1st quarter has behaved much better overall. Maybe we get another $0.04 this quarter.
They consummated another major CLO in February which should be very helpful. Plus, whatever else they have done.
It would be very easy to see an AFFO number north of $0.20 this quarter I like the interest rates climbing a little, just not too fast. I think the divy is back to $0.20 by the second half of the year, and, if everything behaves, we could see $0.25 by the second half of next year. A $1.00 divy = an $8.00 stock ... or, if you're Fred Kane, a $9.00 stock.
What I am in at makes no difference [nor does it to anyone]. What you paid is what you paid; the question is: If I sell it now, and reinvest elsewhere, what kind of income can I get with the proceeds?
" ... lower monthly dividends and issue special dividends ... "
I believe this is a good approach when volatility is high. You make good points, Hockey. This stock has a future in new hands, and I like the measured, responsible approach I heard today.