I am surprised that he offered to sign a contract vowing that he would not take control of the company's board if he were given those seats.
I suspect it was a short term contract, only lasting for a few years. If it was longer term, then CBRL really has no rational reason to not give him at least one board seat if not both.
With "control" off the table, who really doesnt think that Biglari & Cooley would help the CBRL board ?
It will be interesting to see it play out. They are spending $5 million a year to "fight" 2 potential directors who could add value.
I suspect he might end up with 35-40% of the votes for the dividend. Maybe even more.
I think its high time for CBRL to compromise. Perhaps an $8 dividend and 1 board seat.
Hopefully the proxy advisory firms will agree and spur the CBRL board of non-shareholders to action.
(none of the board has bought shares on the open market)
Unless he is talking behind closed doors.
And he made a boatload of money buying CBRL shares went they were cheap.
Without him, the shares would not be $80, let alone $105 right now.
Originally, I was hoping to defer my gains until 2014 so I could delay the taxes.
Upon further reflection, Its best for me to take all my gains possible in 2013. While the initial tax bite will be stiff, it should keep my income in future years low enough to get kickbacks on my insurance some years.
So, I had placed a sell order at $13.25 a week or so ago and today it filled.
I bought on 11/18/08 at $3.56 so this is a nice gain for me. Many stocks did better of course but hindsight is 20/20.
With a CFO change, I guess it could be anticipated. Stock was down yesterday so maybe someone got wind of it early and interpreted it negatively.
Generally, a delayed report is negative. But the CFO change might mitigate that.
So we should get a better idea of how things are going monday or tuesday.
I hope for positive results which might indicate they are making progress.
However, I do not expect this CEO to overpromise. If anything, he will under-promise.
Conference call might be the same time as RCKYs and I have a much larger position in RCKY so I might not be able to listen to TUESs call live.
Both TUES & RCKY were multi-baggers for me.
I bought TUES as low as 51 cents and RCKY as low as $2.26.
RCKY could see the mid to upper $20s with a good report.
This sucker could breakout to the mid $20s with a good report/expectations on the 23rd.
And possibly even toward $30 as funds flow into RCKY for window dressing.
Cross your fingerrs for a good report. It could get seriously fun over the rest of the year.
On the other hand, if the report disapoints, we could go back to $16-17.
It can go a lot higher. Depends on earnings.
Can go lower too, if they disappoint.
Im wagering on higher but Ive been wrong before.
I doubt they will sell in CBRL stores. And I doubt they will even get shelf space at Walmart.
You're right that they would have to charge a premium price to pay the CBRL for the rights.
CBRL is unlikely to ever make material money off the deal but maybe people seeing it in stores will help keep CBRL in their mind when it comes to dining out. Almost like a billboard that doesnt cost them anything upfront.
I certainly wouldnt buy their lunch meat unless maybe if it was a buy one get one free at Publix.
But, Im sure that John Morrell Food Group knows more about supermarket marketing than I do.
They must think they can make money off it too or they wouldnt be doing it.
Bottom line is CBRL has nothing to lose and a little extra licensing revenue and possibly a little more restaurant visits from people who saw the product in the stores and subconsciously decided to eat there more than they otherwise might.
It would be next to impossible to track any potential increased restaurant sales from it though.