But dividend was raised.
Executives got bonuses for the layoffs.
Wall Street celebrates Stock repurchases.
HP got to write off another $500 million of restructure cost.
And you wonder why good jobs are harder to find as the market hits all time high. And those with significant stock assets, that means the rich, are getting richer while the middle class becomes lower class.
Mark Hanna: The name of the game, moving the money from the client's pocket to your pocket.
Jordan Belfort: But if you can make your clients money at the same time it's advantageous to everyone, correct?
Mark Hanna: No.
Bill and Dave are turning in their graves:
July 16, 1970
From: Bill Hewlett
To: See Distribution
SUBJECT: Evaluations & Terminations
An increasing number of cases are coming to my attention in which employees are being terminated with little or no warning that their performance has been unsatisfactory. In some cases, evaluations have been glowing up to the time that an individual is released.
There just is no excuse for this. It is not humane. It is not HP-like. It is not justified. I would like you to be guided by the four following points:
(1) The individual affected had had advanced warning through written evaluations and has been advised constructively on how he/she should improve.
(2) Wherever practical, assure the employee is given an opportunity for other placement where he/she might make a greater contribution. Employee placement is a function of supervisors and Personnel and not a function of the employee to be turned loose to find his own job someplace in HP.
(3) If termination is the only alternative, Personnel must be fully advised and believe the case is satisfactorily documented, and the decision has the approval of the genera manager concerned.
(4) Before any adverse action is taken, it should be well thought out. We must recognize that each of our people represents an individual with problems, families, etc.
Signed: Bill H.
Bankers and hedge funds do not care about anything else but more buyback and more layoffs to goose up share eps.
Again, workers should storm Meg's office to demand where the layoffs will come from, domestic and foreign %. Too often, they fire in the west and hire more in the far east.
Those analysts were wined and dined by IR and given gifts for their upgrades ... there is no down side for those analysts. What are you going to do? Meanwhile, they get to invitations to HP sponsored powwows with perks from free products to hot tickets.
H-P also announces it's increasing the size of its job cuts by 11K-16K positions. The company, which had ~317K employees last year, has already announced plans to shed 34K jobs.
Why would Meg allow the massaged EA to show less than 0.5% revenue miss? Bet it is her signal for up coming quarters.
Hewlett-Packard Earnings Just Came Out For Some Reason at Business Insider Thu 3:35pm
Are you starting a new topic now? If yes, the topic had been addressed before. Pass the Nat Gas Bill of 2011 and the Infrastructure job bills pushed annually by the administration. NPR showed a clip a few days ago that we have been soliciting in China for capital to rebuild our crumbling roads, bridges, water, sewage, pipelines etc. Shame on the do-nuthin Congress.
Did you check out the data or simply ignore the facts? And I mentioned not only Reagan, but Clinton and Bush. Next time, read the whole message, just a few lines in all !!!
1. Let someone else deal with the toxins from refining the tar. China is learning its lessons on pollution as we did in the 60's and 70's. Tar is better than coal and the Russian Nat Gas is better. Also, they are pushing solar, wind and nuclear as fast they can/dare.
2. There is heavy crude and there is tar, not at all on the same harm scale.
3. The Chinese has already owned a pieces of the Alberta tar. Keystone pipeline has no provision that Chinese can't buy more shares. Besides we have no capacity to refine the added tar (refineries had over-capacity and some closed down), nor domestic need for more refined crude. Refined Keystone tar would be exported anywhere.
I thank you again to refresh my memory. Over the history of Initial Jobless Claim reports, it was very rare to see weekly data below 300k. During Reagan's reign, there were only a dozen or so weeks below 300k on a much smaller population, all during his final year as president. Ditto during Clinton's 8 years. Dubya actually had a long string of weeks below 300K but surprising all during 2006 and most of 2007, right before the Great Recession began.
Let me know if you have trouble finding the data.
Canadian regulators are currently considering four major pipeline projects: Two of them would move the crude to the west coast of Canada, where it would have easy access to Asian markets; the other two propose piping oil all the way east across southern Canada to refiners in Ontario and Quebec, which are stuck taking more expensive imported oil.
Together these projects dwarf KXL, both in price and in how much oil they could move. If approved, the $5.4 billion KXL would have a capacity of about 800,000 barrels a day. The four pipelines under consideration carry a collective price tag of about $25 billion and could move almost 3 million barrels of crude per day. So is Keystone in danger of becoming irrelevant?
“The market is definitely moving on with or without it,” says Meredith Annex, an oil and gas analyst with Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF). “The demand for the heavy oil from Alberta will still be there even if Keystone XL doesn’t ultimately get built.” It’s just that instead of going to U.S. refiners on the Gulf Coast, the oil will go to such places as China and Eastern Canada.
Thanks to oil and gas resources. It didn't do so well in the 80's and 90's before China began to import oil for its factories and when oil prices were stagnant.
Understand that TX HS graduation rate is now in the best 5 among all states. Now, a better measure would be their SAT scores.
Yahoo's date is today after hours but wrong. From hp's web site:
Q2 2014 HP Earnings Conference Call
Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:00pm PT / 5:00pm ET
Bet they voted for pro-life and against gay marriagse:
Dozens charged in New York-area child porn case
By Tom Hays
Posted: 05/21/2014 06:38:58 AM PDT0 Comments
NEW YORK -- A police officer, a paramedic, a rabbi, a nurse and a Boy Scout leader were among at least 70 people arrested in the New York City area in recent weeks as part of a sweeping investigation into the anonymous trading of child porn over the Internet.