Good morning! Here's the news:
- Microsoft is investing $300 million in Barnes & Noble . It will spin out the "Nook" e-reader business from Barnes & Noble along with its College business.
- There's a new dating app called Skout that raised $22 million. It's getting a lot of buzz in Silicon Valley right now. Here's a walk-through of the app.
- A few startups are trying to become Instagram for videos, and their user numbers have been growing quickly. SocialCam just raised a round from a lot of investors and jumped from 12 to 20 million downloads in one week.
- Rovio's Angry Birds Space hit the 50 million download mark in record time. It only took 35 days. By comparison, it took Draw Something 50 days to hit the same milestone.
- Instagram has also been downloaded 50 million times and it is adding 5 million users per week. When it joined Facebook last month it had 35 million downloads.
- The infamous Winklevoss twins are now investing in early stage startups.
- It looks like Digg's tech team is getting acquired -- or acqui-hired -- by The Washington Post. The business isn't being bought, however.
- Here's a ridiculous fact: More people have mobile phones than electricity or drinking water.
More From Business Insider
- Ron Paul Went To Battle Against Paul Krugman—Here's What You Missed
- UPDATE: Just One Hour Until The Historic Faceoff Between Ron Paul And Paul Krugman
- Discovery Channel Crashes A Boeing 727 On Purpose