2012 Holiday Contest
Official Rules No Purchase Necessary to Enter or Win
Open Only to Legal United States Residents
Void in Puerto Rico, Rhode Island and Where Prohibited by Law
PRIZE: Subject to the provisions of these Official Rules, during the Promotion Period (as defined below) of the "Bankrate.com 2012 Holiday Contest" (this "Promotion"), Bankrate, Inc. ("Bankrate") will award two (2) prizes: (1) a grand prize of $500 (the "Grand Prize") and (2) a second place prize of $250 (the "Second Prize" and, together with the Grand Prize, the "Prizes"). THE TOTAL MAXIMUM VALUE OF THE PRIZES WILL BE $750.
ENTRY PERIOD: This Promotion begins at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time on November 28, 2012 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on December 7, 2012 (the "Promotion Period").
HOW TO ENTER: Subject to the "Conditions of Entry" below, you may enter this Promotion on the Internet using any of the five (5) methods of Internet entry described below or by regular mail. All entries must be received by Bankrate by the last business day of the Promotion Period. During the Promotion Period, each entrant may enter the Promotion up to one (1) time per day.
Enter on the Internet:
Enter this Promotion by taking any of the following actions, as further specified in the Bankrate.com blog post regarding the Promotion, located at http://www.bankrate.com/financing/seasons-tweetings-win-holiday-cash/ (the "Blog Post"):
- Pin an original tip describing your favorite way to save money during the holiday season (a "Frugal Tip") on any of your boards at Pinterest.com (Pinterest.com and Pinterest, Inc. are sometimes referred to in these Official Rules as "Pinterest"), tagging "@Bankrate" and "#frugfabholiday". If you enter the Promotion using this method, you will be eligible to win the Grand Prize and you will receive twenty-five (25) entries for a chance to win the Second Prize.
- Use the tweet box in the Blog Post to tweet the name of someone you know who has mad holiday savings skills. Include the tags "@Bankrate" and "#frugfabholiday" in your tweet. You will receive ten (10) entries for a chance to win the Second Prize if you enter the Promotion using this method. If you enter the Promotion using this method, you will be eligible to win the Second Prize but not the Grand Prize.
- Use the "tweet" button on the Blog Post's share bar to tweet the Blog Post. You will receive five (5) entries for a chance to win the Second Prize if you enter the Promotion using this method. If you enter the Promotion using this method, you will be eligible to win the Second Prize but not the Grand Prize.
- Use the "pin it" button on the Blog Post's share bar (which can be accessed by clicking on "more" on the Blog Post's share bar) to pin the Blog Post to any of your Pinterest boards. You will receive five (5) entries for a chance to win the Second Prize if you enter the Promotion using this method. If you enter the Promotion using this method, you will be eligible to win the Second Prize but not the Grand Prize.
- Comment on the Blog Post with your Frugal Tip. If you enter the Promotion using this method, you will be eligible to win the Grand Prize and you will receive ten (10) entries in the Promotion.
Note that when you take the required actions in connection with the entry methods described in Sections 1(a) through 1(d) above, a unique URL will be generated. In order to enter the Promotion using one of these four (4) methods, you must sign-in to the Rafflecopter widget located on the Blog Post and then enter this unique URL into the Rafflecopter widget.
If you need Internet access, visit your local library, or you can obtain free Internet access through a provider such as NetZero. If you need an email account, free email services are available, such as at gmail.com and hotmail.com.
Enter by mail:
You may also enter this Promotion by mail by doing the following: on a postcard, legibly handprint or type your name, complete street address, city, state, zip code, daytime telephone number, age, email address and your Frugal Tip and mail the postcard to: Bankrate.com 2012 Holiday Contest, 11760 U.S. Highway 1, North Palm Beach, Florida 33408. If you enter the Promotion using this method and handprint your Frugal Tip, you will be eligible to win the Grand Prize and you will receive twenty-five (25) entries for a chance to win the Second Prize. If you enter the Promotion using this method but fail to handprint a Frugal Tip on your postcard, you will be eligible to win the Second Prize but not the Grand Prize. Entries become the property of Bankrate and will not be returned. Illegible and incomplete entries are void. Bankrate is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated, postage due, misdirected entries or entries not received.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY: No purchase is necessary to enter this Promotion. This Promotion is open only to natural persons who (i) are legal United States residents (except for residents of Puerto Rico, Rhode Island or any other jurisdiction in which such natural person entering this Promotion would be prohibited by law), (ii) are eighteen (18) years of age or older or have reached the age of majority required by their state or territory of residence to be reached in order to enter a sweepstakes, if such age of majority is greater than eighteen (18) years of age and (iii) have agreed to these Official Rules. Employees and/or agents of Bankrate (and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates and/or divisions) and of agents of Bankrate (and/or its affiliates, subsidiaries and/or divisions) and their respective affiliates, parent organizations, subsidiaries, divisions, trade partners, advertising and promotion agencies and associated marketing firms and other vendors and the respective immediate families of such employees, including household members, are not eligible to participate in this Promotion. Bankrate reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of each Winner.
Any use of robotic, mechanical, automatic, programmed or like methods of participation will void each entry made by such methods. Bankrate will not verify receipt of entries. Bankrate is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, illegible or damaged mailed entries. Any attempted form of entry into this Promotion other than as described in these Official Rules, and any incomplete entry, is void. Entries that are in violation of these Official Rules will be disqualified. Should Bankrate suspect or determine actual or attempted (i) fraud, tampering, impairment or disruption of the administration, security, fairness or proper play of this Promotion or (ii) violation of these Official Rules, Bankrate reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to void any and all entries of an entrant, or suspend or prohibit the participation of any person, who Bankrate determines, in its sole discretion, is responsible or otherwise involved with such acts.
ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible entries received.
CONSENT TO PUBLICITY AND USE: Except where prohibited, each entrant, by acceptance of a Prize, grants to Bankrate and its subsidiaries, affiliates and assigns the absolute and worldwide right, license and permission and consent to use, in any manner or media whatsoever, such entrant's name, voice, photograph (including on Web pages maintained by Bankrate and/or any of its subsidiaries and/or affiliates), biographical information (including, without limitation, hometown and state), email address and/or likeness for any promotional and/or publicity purposes.
SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF THE WINNER: Subject to these Official Rules, at or following the end of the Promotion Period, two (2) winners of the Promotion (each, a "Winner") will be selected, as follows:
- Grand Prize. On or around December 11, 2012, a judge or a panel of judges, selected by Bankrate in its sole discretion, will select one (1) Frugal Tip from among all of the Frugal Tips submitted during the Promotion Period. The Winner of the Grand Prize will be the one (1) entrant who, as determined by the judge(s) in his, her or their sole discretion, submits the most useful and/or creative Frugal Tip during the Promotion Period. For the avoidance of doubt, if an entrant does not submit a Frugal Tip, either because he or she uses a method of entry summarized in Section 1(b), 1(c) or 1(d) under "How to Enter" above or because he or she enters by mail in accordance with Section 2 under "How to Enter" above and does not include a Frugal Tip in his or her entry, then that entrant will not be eligible to win the Grand Prize.
- Second Prize. The one (1) Winner of the Second Prize will be selected among entrants who have entered into the Promotion in accordance with the above "How to Enter" section of these Official Rules. For the avoidance of doubt, each entrant will receive multiple entries in the Promotion, as further set forth in the "How to Enter" section of these Official Rules.
Neither Winner will be required to be present at the time that Winner is selected.
On or around the tenth (10th) business day following the selection of each Winner, each Winner will be notified by email. Each Winner must claim his or her Prize within ten (10) business days after the date of Bankrate's first notification attempt, which shall be the first date notification is sent to that Winner by email. Each Winner must claim his or her Prize in the manner indicated in Bankrate's notification of that Winner. For the avoidance of doubt, each Winner must continue to comply with these Official Rules.
If a Winner fails to claim his or her Prize within such ten (10) business day period of time, is found to be ineligible, fails to comply with these Official Rules or fails to meet the requirements hereof, that Winner will be disqualified and an alternative Winner will be selected at random from among the remaining non-winning entrants.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE WINNER: Each Winner will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Liability for Participation, Publicity and Use (an "Affidavit") as a part of determining that Winner's eligibility to win a Prize and prior to, and as a condition of, that Winner's acceptance and use of a Prize. If a Winner's Affidavit and all other documents required by Bankrate are not, in Bankrate's sole discretion, completed as specified or are not received by Bankrate within ten (10) business days of notification or, after Bankrate's receipt of the Affidavit from that Winner, that Winner is found to be an ineligible entrant, that Winner's entry will be disqualified and an alternate Winner will be selected at random from the remaining non-winning entrants. Bankrate will issue each Winner's Prize to that Winner within eight (8) weeks of Bankrate's receipt of the Affidavit and such other documents from that Winner.
TO RECEIVE WINNERS' NAMES OR OFFICIAL RULES: To request the names of the Winners or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope (residents of Washington state and Vermont need not include postage) to: Bankrate, Inc., Bankrate.com 2012 Holiday Contest, 11760 U.S. Highway 1, North Palm Beach, Florida 33408. Please specify whether you are requesting the names of the Winners or a copy of the Official Rules. Requests for the names of the Winners must be received by Bankrate at the address above from the tenth (10th) business day following the end of the Promotion Period through the twentieth (20th) business day following the end of the Promotion Period. Requests for a copy of these Official Rules received more than ninety (90) days after the end of the Promotion Period will not be honored.
SPONSOR: Bankrate is the sponsor of this Promotion.
- NEITHER PINTEREST NOR TWITTER IS A SPONSOR: This Promotion is in no way sponsored by, endorsed by, administered by or associated with Pinterest or Twitter, Inc. (" Twitter").
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Florida law governs this Promotion. Void where prohibited. Bankrate reserves the right to cancel or modify this Promotion if fraud, misconduct or technical failures, or any other factor beyond Bankrate's reasonable control impairs the integrity of this Promotion, as determined by Bankrate, in its sole discretion, or if a computer virus, bug or other technical problem corrupts the administration or security of this Promotion as determined by Bankrate, in its sole discretion. In the event that Bankrate cancels or modifies this Promotion, Bankrate will post to the Blog Post notice that this Promotion has been canceled or modified. In such event, Bankrate reserves the right to award the Prizes at random from among any eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment or in any other method selected by Bankrate, in its sole discretion. Bankrate reserves the right in, its sole discretion, to change the dates of the Promotion Period, with or without notice, in the event of technical failure, or for any other reason. EACH WINNER IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY BANKRATE. BANKRATE'S DECISION IS FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THIS PROMOTION. AN ENTRANT IS NOT A WINNER UNLESS AND UNTIL THAT ENTRANT'S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND ENTRANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE. Any attempt by any person to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of this Promotion may be a violation of criminal and/or civil laws. Bankrate's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of Bankrate's ability to enforce its rights. Any taxes due on a Prize will be the sole responsibility of the Winner of that Prize. Each Prize is non-transferable, except in accordance with the laws of descent and distribution. Neither Bankrate nor any subsidiary or affiliate of Bankrate will enter into correspondence, including email, regarding this Promotion. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of these Official Rules. In the event that any provision of these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained within these Official Rules.
- Expenses not specifically stated as part of a Prize and all expenses not specifically identified as being included in a Prize, are the sole responsibility of the Winner of that Prize. All taxes, fees and surcharges related to a Prize, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Winner of that Prize. No Prize shall be used in connection with any other promotion or offer.
DISPUTES: Each entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the Federal or Florida state courts of record in Palm Beach County, Florida, (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Promotion, but in no event shall such costs include attorneys' fees and (iii) under no circumstances will an entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and, by entering the Promotion, entrant waives all rights to claim, punitive, indirect, special, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages (other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses described in subsection (ii), above) and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules and/or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Bankrate in connection with this Promotion shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Florida, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Florida or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Florida. All Florida state and local laws and regulations apply.
INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE: Each e ntrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold Bankrate, Pinterest, Twitter and their subsidiaries, affiliates and divisions and their respective representatives, attorneys, assigns, agents and licensees and their respective affiliates, equity holders, officers, directors, managers, agents, co-branders, associated marketing firms, advertisers and sponsors or other partners and any of their employees (each of Bankrate, Pinterest and Twitter, a "Released and Indemnified Party," and collectively, including Bankrate, Pinterest and Twitter, the " Released and Indemnified Parties"), harmless from and against any and all rights, demands, losses, liabilities, damages, claims, causes of action, actions and suits of any kind whatsoever (no matter whether at law or equity), fees, costs and attorneys' fees (including appellate level) whatsoever (each, a "Claim," collectively, "Claims"), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Released and Indemnified Parties arising out of or in connection, directly or indirectly, with the entrant's entry in this Promotion, participation in this Promotion, this Promotion, a Prize and/or use or misuse of a Prize.
By entering this Promotion, each entrant agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless each Released and Indemnified Party from and against any injury, loss, claim, cause of action or damages arising out of or in connection with, indirectly or directly: (i) entry or participation in this Promotion and (ii) acceptance, use, or misuse of a Prize.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Bankrate is not responsible for: (i) electronic, human, United States Postal Service, equipment, programming or other error, omission, interruption, defect or delay which may occur in the administration of this Promotion or the processing of any entry, any Prize, in these Official Rules or in any other materials related to this Promotion, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to, the malfunctioning of any electronic equipment, computer, Internet, Web site, network, hardware or software, a computer virus, bug or other technical problem, (iii) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or this Promotion, (iv) any entrant's conduct in connection with this Promotion, (v) any printing, typographical or technical errors in any materials associated with this Promotion or any Prize, (vi) incorrect, inaccurate, late, lost, stolen, illegible, incomplete or misdirected entries or entries received through impermissible or illegitimate channels or (vii) any death, injury or damage to persons or property, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from an entrant's entry or participation in this Promotion or use or misuse of any Prize.
More From Bankrate.com