And some of the findings were quite notable:
- The population of people over 60 years of age will reach 1 billion within the decade
- 80 percent of world’s older people will live in developing countries by 2050
- The over 60 population will be larger than the under 15 population in 2050
In 1994, UNFPA highlighted longer life expectancy as one of its goals. While the organization is happy with the progress, they also noted that societies face new challenges today:
While the trend of ageing societies is a cause for celebration, it also presents huge challenges as it requires completely new approaches to health care, retirement, living arrangements and intergenerational relations.
People everywhere must age with dignity and security.
More From Business Insider
- Scott Brown Slams Elizabeth Warren In A Testy Debate Exchange: 'I'm Not A Student In Your Classroom'
- Jack Dorsey Gives Everyone He Hires The Same Red Book
- Here's The Attack Ad That Is Killing Mitt Romney In Ohio
- Society & Culture
- United Nations Population Fund