It all starts with a good intention. Lose weight. Get financially fit. Quit smoking. You want to make a change. But sadly, just 8 percent of people keep New Year’s resolutions, according to Forbes. In 2014, make a commitment to your goals. Beat the odds by using one of these apps to make achieving your New Year’s resolution an easier endeavor.
1. MyFitnessPal. One of the most common resolutions every year is weight loss. Whether you’re looking to lose 5 pounds or 100 pounds, MyFitnessPal can help you get there. The application allows you to track what you eat each day through its database of more than 3 million food items. You can even add your own recipes to see how many calories are in each serving. As you eat throughout the day, all you have to do is input the data into the app. It will calculate how many calories you’ve consumed and how many more you can consume that day to reach your desired weight loss goal. Through MyFitnessPal you can even share your accomplishments with a network of friends if you choose.
2. Green Genie. If you’re trying to be more green in 2014, Green Genie might be the perfect app for you. The app serves as a guide to a sustainable lifestyle. By using the app, you will have access to more than 100 projects and tips revolving around the environment. And each one will tell you about the environmental benefits and how much money it could save you. Green Genie also gives you a breakdown of certified green products and includes a feature called the “plastic directory” which explains each type of plastic and its recyclability.
3. Manilla. Simplify and organize your life in 2014 with Manilla, a service that lets you manage all of your bills and accounts in one place online. With just one password, you can manage all of your household accounts, including finances, brokerage accounts, credit cards, utilities, daily deals, healthcare accounts, travel and rewards programs, subscriptions and more. And, to help you avoid late fees and keep track of your expenses, the free service sends automatic bill pay reminders via text or email and offers free, unlimited online document storage. Plus, Manilla just introduced a new feature called Bill Share, which allows you to easily collaborate on bills and accounts with family and friends. You can learn more about the new feature here.
4. Quit Smoking. Want to quit smoking this year? There’s an app for that. Quit Smoking is an app designed to help wean you from your smoking dependency. You begin by entering your gender and smoking history. Then every time you feel the urge to light a cigarette, you hit the big red button within the app. It will gather the data to help you determine your urges and stress level, so you better understand what’s triggering your dependency. As you’ve made progress toward your goal to give up cigarettes, Quit Smoking will show your results in an easy-to-read graph.
5. Gas Buddy. Everyone likes to save a little money and if your goal is to keep a little bit more in your bank account this year, Gas Buddy can help. From your daily commute to trips to the store the gas you pump into your car’s tank can be expensive. In fact, the average American spends $2,000 on gasoline each year. Gas Buddy can help you find the cheapest gas station near your location so you can minimize your gas expenses each month. The app has 22 million users that report gas prices and keep its information up to date.
Rose Haywood is an Internet tech writer, social media junkie and freelance marketing consultant. She hails proudly from Asheville, NC but resides for the time being right outside of Atlanta, GA. Feel free to reach out to her directly via twitter.
More from Manilla.com:
- Manilla New Year’s Toolkit: A Guide to the New You
- Simplify Everyone’s Lives with Manilla’s New Bill Share
- 5 Ways to Make Your Health and Fitness Goals a Reality