5 Hassle-Free Tax Prep Software Tools

Sarah Kaufman
March 14, 2013

If you feel comfortable filing your taxes using trusted online software and you don’t feel like paying hundreds of dollars to have an accountant do the work for you, then consider using one of these hassle-free tax prep software tools.

[More from Manilla.com: Did Someone Say Free? Tax Services in 2013]

Many of the tools are free to use if you made less than a certain amount of money last year (the amount depends on the tool — you can find more information in the descriptions below). Even if you made more than that amount, you can still use the software to get a free federal return and pay a small fee for a state return. 

Check out one (or all) of these free tax prep tools so that you get back the refund you deserve without shelling out a ton of cash.

1. H&R Block

If you made less than $57,000 last year and you’re under the age of 52, then you qualify for H&R Block’s Free File software. The software is easy to use and guides you each step of the way. H&R Block accepts returns from any state.

[More from Manilla.com: 5 Smart Ways to Use Your Tax Refund]

2. TurboTax

The TurboTax Freedom Edition requires that users’ adjusted gross income is $31,000 or less OR $57,000 or less and a member of the military. TurboTax allows people from any state (even those with foreign addresses) to file using the software, and it even allows for free extensions.

3. TaxACT

To use TaxACT, you had to have made $51,000 or less last year and be between the ages of 18 and 57. Like TurboTax, TaxACT allows people from any state to file and allows for free extensions.

[More from Manilla.com: What Would You Give Up to Make Tax Time Easier?]

4. TaxSlayer

You can use TaxSlayer if you made $30,000 or less and live in any state or be a U.S. citizen with a foreign address. One of the great benefits of TaxSlayer is that it provides its service in Spanish, as well.

5. FileYourTaxes.com

FileYourTaxes.com requires that your adjusted gross income last year be between $9,000 and $57,000. You must be between the ages of 16 and 69 and live in any state, or be a U.S. citizen with a foreign address. Like the other services, FileYourTaxes.com

More from Manilla.com: