APAmanda Berry and two others escaped from an Ohio basem ent where they were held for over ten years.
The story is truly incredible, in part because they defied grisly odds for abducted, un-recovered children.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's recovery rate is 97.7 percent, up from 62 percent in 1996. But almost all of those recoveries happen right away.
Here are five stats that show just how much this case defies the odds.
- 94% of recovered children are found within the first 72 hours. Berry and the others were missing for 10 years.
- Once a murder investigation has begun, the name of the suspect is known to the police within the first week in 74% of cases.
- In a given year, there are only 115 children who are victims of "stereotypical" kidnapping in a given year, meaning they were abducted by strangers. For perspective, 2,185 children are reported missing every day.
- Only 57% of children come home alive after being abducted by strangers.
- 4% are never found. 40% are killed.
More From Business Insider
- Jodi Arias Launches Shameless Fundraiser For 'Other Survivors Of Domestic Violence'
- America's Prison Guards Are The 'Ugly Stepchildren' Of The Criminal Justice System
- Here's The Slot Machine Glitch That Got A Man Arrested In Las Vegas
- Crime & Justice
- Society & Culture