NEW YORK, Nov. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Best practices for writing and formatting press releases that resonate with today's digital audiences challenge many of the conventional approaches to framing, writing and pitching an organization's news. Key messages need to be highlighted and conveyed to specific audiences, and content needs to play on mobile devices, social networks and organization web sites. Today on the Beyond PR blog, you'll find key tactics and real-world examples of press release tactics that work in today's news environment. Read the full blog post here: Master Digital Press Releases & Get More Coverage
Included are these seven key tactics:
- Consider creating multiple messages tailored to different audiences and verticals. Build press releases around different news hooks, offer details and the backstory on a related blog post and highlight key personalities with an embedded video, for example.
- Always use unique and trackable URLs that direct readers to relevant and related content. URL shorteners like Bit.ly are easy tool to use. Your organization's marketing team may be able to create unique URLs to specific landing pages that can be easily tracked in your brand's marketing automation program or web site analytics software, too.
- Include a "click to tweet" link near the top of the press release to encourage audiences to share key messages.
- Keep headlines to 100 characters or fewer. This is also good advice for subject lines when sending out release as a pitch.
- Write for mobile readers first. Craft mobile-ready copy. Think in terms of short sentences and graphs, punchy quotes, and use micro content principles. (Example: The main facts/5Ws could be listed as bullets so they're easily scanned on mobile devices.)
- Always include a call to action, inviting readers to download the app or white paper the release is promoting, register for the event or take other specific action.
- Make all content portable. When possible, generate your press release content so it can be "broken apart" into pieces of mini content. (Example: Are pull quotes pithy enough to be tweeted or shared? Can your graphic be shared with a cutline that provides the key facts? Can your video stand alone?)
PR Newswire (www.prnewswire.com) is the premier global provider of multimedia platforms that enable marketers, corporate communicators, sustainability officers, public affairs and investor relations officers to leverage content to engage with all their key audiences. Having pioneered the commercial news distribution industry 59 years ago, PR Newswire today provides end-to-end solutions to produce, optimize and target content -- from rich media to online video to multimedia -- and then distribute content and measure results across traditional, digital, mobile and social channels. Combining the world's largest multi-channel, multi-cultural content distribution and optimization network with comprehensive workflow tools and platforms, PR Newswire enables the world's enterprises to engage opportunity everywhere it exists. PR Newswire serves tens of thousands of clients from offices in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and the Asia-Pacific region, and is a UBM plc company.
Manager, Marketing Communications , PR Newswire
- Consumer Discretionary
- Singapore International News