This article, written by Lisa Kaplan, was originally published on Citi’s Women & Co.
The frozen, leafless landscape out your window won’t last forever — it just seems that way.
Spring is just around the corner — so here are a few ways to lift your spirits, jumpstart the season, and get ready for the warm, sunny days ahead.
1. Change light bulbs. Boost winter light in your home by making sure all your light bulbs work. New LED bulbs let you pick the kind of light you want — warm, cool, daylight — and they save energy, too. Also open blinds and drapes to let daylight stream into rooms.
2. Start seeds. Get a jump on spring planting by starting flower and vegetable seeds inside. Recycle egg cartons as starting containers. Put seeds in a sunny window, or buy plant lights for dependable light. Greens and herbs will grow quickly, so you can snip them for salads before spring arrives.
3. Put fresh flowers around the house. Place a few tulips, daisies, and daffodils in each room to remind you that spring truly is on the way. Buy flowering plants and transplant them into your garden when the weather grows warmer.
Get a jump on spring planting by starting vegetable seeds inside.
4. Plan a vacation. Grab the brochures, surf the web, and start arranging a spring or summer trip. Not sure about dates yet? Don’t worry — some credit cards offer benefits that provide protections if you need to cancel a trip or have to cut your vacation short. For example, if you need to cancel a trip or if a trip is interrupted for a covered reason, eligible Citi ® cardmembers may be reimbursed up to $1,500 for covered, non-refundable trip charges when a trip is booked with an eligible Citi card. Learn more here.
5. Give your kitchen a mini-facelift. You don’t have to spend a lot to give your kitchen a fresh-as-spring feel. Change cabinet knobs and pulls, hang bright towels, or add a floral rug. Change your dish soap to a summery floral or lemon scent to brighten up your sink.
6. Check your winter bucket list. The cold weather won’t last forever, so make sure that you checked off everything on your winter-fun wish list—ski, ice skate, slide down a snowy hill on a sled or tube.
7. Get a makeover. A new hair and makeup style can help raise your spirits instantly. Apply temporary color to see what it’s like to be a redhead, glue on false eyelashes for glamorous fun, or apply teeth whitening strips to brighten your smile. If you look good, you’ll feel good, too.
More from Manilla.com: