SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwire -08/02/11)- Amarantus BioSciences, Inc. (OTC.BB: AMBS), a biotechnology company developing MANF, a first-in-class, disease-modifying therapeutic protein that addresses an underlying form of cell death known as apoptosis, today presented a summary of the peer-reviewed findings reported to date in prominent scientific journals that provide a compelling scientific rationale for the further development of the Company's Parkinson's program. The publications, appearing in seven different scientific journals, indicate that MANF's molecular properties make it an attractive development candidate for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. This announcement follows data reported last week, in which Amarantus reproduced key pre-clinical data that provides a sound scientific rationale to focus the MANF Parkinson's development program on the protocols required to gain regulatory approval to initiate human clinical studies.
"The scientific community is generally quite conservative when it comes to the evaluation of new drug candidates for the treatment of poorly-served conditions such as Parkinson's disease," said Martin D. Cleary, Chief Executive Officer of Amarantus. "The breadth of data published over the last 8 years in these leading scientific journals represents significant external scientific validation of MANF's potential and gives the Company a solid foundation to further invest in its Parkinson's program to confirm MANF's ability to slow or reverse the progression of this devastating disease."
MANF is a novel protein that was discovered from Amarantus' PhenoGuard Protein Discovery Engine, which uses the Company's proprietary cell lines to discover neurotrophic factors with activity against specific neurodegenerative diseases. Neurotrophic factors are proteins that protect neurons from various insults and are promising drug candidates for Parkinson's and other neurodegenerative diseases. The data reported below identifies a unique mechanism of action for MANF among neurotrophic factors:
- In research reported in 2010 in The Journal of Biological Chemistry [286:2675-2680] researchers concluded that MANF has a unique mechanism to rescue neurons dying by apoptosis;
- In a review published in 2010 in Developmental Neurobiology, [70:360-371], researchers reviewed the breadth of published data and concluded that MANF is a potential therapeutic protein for the treatment of Parkinson's disease;
- In research reported in 2009 The Journal of Neuroscience, [29(30):9651-9659], MANF demonstrated neurorestorative properties in a rodent model of Parkinson's, MANF was also readily distributed throughout the striatum and demonstrated significant therapeutic potential for the treatment of Parkinson's disease;
- In research reported in 2009 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, [106:2429-2434], researchers concluded that MANF is essential for the maintenance of dopamine positive neurites and dopamine levels in Drosophila. Further, the knockout of MANF in Drosophila leads to degeneration of axonal bundles in the nervous system;
- In a review published in 2007 in Science, [411:pe60], researchers reported that MANF was part of a new class of neurotrophic factors that may present advantages versus previously studied neurotrophic factors for Parkinson's disease;
- In research reported in 2006 in NeuroReport, [17:293-297], researchers concluded that MANF increases the release of the neurotransmitter GABA from pre-synaptic nerve terminals in the substantia nigra, which in turn may dampen the excitotoxic action of excessive glutamate that has been associated with dopaminergic cell death;
- In research reported in 2003 in Journal of Molecular Neuroscience [20: 173-188], researchers announced the discovery of MANF and reported that MANF protects the dopaminergic neurons that degenerate in Parkinson's disease in vitro.
"Combined with the results reported last week, these scientific publications provide significant independent validation for Amarantus' lead candidate MANF's potential to address the apoptotic neuronal death associated with Parkinson's disease," said John W. Commissiong, Chief Scientific Officer of Amarantus and discover of MANF. "The results published to date indicate that there are potentially several other CNS-related medical conditions where MANF could play a vital role due to its novel mechanism of action for rescuing apoptotic neurons. We fully intend to develop additional strategies to maximize the value of the extensive intellectual property portfolio the Company owns covering MANF to treat nervous system disorders."
About Amarantus BioSciences, Inc.
Amarantus BioSciences, Inc. is engaged in the research and development of first-in-class disease-modifying treatments that address the underlying cause of cell death, known as apoptosis, associated with a wide range of diseases. The Company's most advanced product candidate, MANF, is a therapeutic protein indicated for the treatment of Parkinson's disease and Myocardial Infarction. Currently incubating at the Parkinson's Institute in Sunnyvale, CA, Amarantus BioSciences is the recipient of a research grant from The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. See www.Amarantus.com.
Forward Looking Safe-Harbor Statement:
The information provided herein may include forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, and Section 21E of the Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements are largely based on our current expectations and projections about future events and financial trends affecting the financial condition of our business. Such forward-looking statements include, in particular, statements about our plans, strategies, business prospects, and the ongoing and future development of disease modifying treatments. These forward-looking statements may be identified by the use of terms and phrases such as "anticipates", "believes", "can", "could", "estimates", "expects", "forecasts", "intends", "may", "plans", "projects", "targets", "will", and similar expressions or variations of these terms and similar phrases. Additionally, statements concerning future matters such as planned research and development and the regulatory approval, marketing, and sale of planned future and other statements regarding matters that are not historical are forward-looking statements. Management cautions that these forward-looking statements relate to future events or our future financial performance and are subject to business, economic, and other risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that may cause actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements of our business or our industry to be materially different from those expressed or implied by any forward-looking statements.
These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected, including without limitation, the following: (a) the risk that our product candidate MANF, which is still under clinical development, may not obtain regulatory approval or be successfully commercialized; (b) the risk that extensive regulatory requirements may limit the scope of future sales or impede successful product commercialization even if we obtain regulatory approval for our product candidate; (c) the risk that we may be unable to arrange for the successful manufacture and commercial supply of our planned product; (d) the risk that MANF, if approved and brought to market, may not be accepted by the medical community; (e) the risk that we may not be successful in undertaking the steps currently planned in order to increase our liquidity and capital resources, resulting in inadequate funding for our planned research and development activities; and (f) other risks and uncertainties described in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Neither management nor any other person assumes responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements in this press release are made as of the date hereof, based on information available to us as of the date hereof, and subsequent facts or circumstances may contradict, obviate, undermine, or otherwise fail to support or substantiate such statements. We caution you not to rely on these statements without also considering the risks and uncertainties associated with these statements and our business that are addressed in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission that are available on the SEC's web site located at www.sec.gov. Certain information included in this press release may supersede or supplement forward-looking statements in our other Exchange Act reports filed with the SEC. We assume no obligation to update any forward-looking statement to conform such statements to actual results or to changes in our expectations, except as required by applicable law or regulation.