Here are the hottest stocks of the week from May 31st to June 3rd.
Fresh Off the Press: Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s newest Feature Trades of the Month!
1) Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL): Shares are higher almost 3% today to $347.37 per share. Over 12 million shares have traded hands today. Investors seem to be liking the ‘Sell Nokia, Buy Apple’ trade on the negative sentiment arising out of Nokia analysts and the continued positive growth momentum of the iPhone, iPads, ipod, iMac, Macbooks, and everything else with the Apple brand on such a diversified product pipeline. Apple Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers and related personal computing and mobile communication devices along with a variety of related software, services, peripherals, and networking solutions. The Company sells its products worldwide through its online stores, its retail stores, its direct sales force, third-party wholesalers, and resellers. Competitors to Watch: Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG), Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ), Dell (NASDAQ:DELL), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Adobe (NASDAQ:ADBE), IBM (NYSE:IBM), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), Super Micro (NASDAQ:SMCI), Verizon (NYSE:VZ) and Research In Motion Limited (NASDAQ:RIMM).
2) Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK): Shares are lower 14.33% to $7.03 per share today. Over 150 million shares have traded hands. Today, the company’s outlook was reduced. Well, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to seek Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhones as the everywhere ‘must have’ cool gadget. Nokia’s feeling the Apple heat right now and needs a must turnaround strategy before its too late. Nokia Corporation is a player in the mobile industry. The Company makes a range of mobile devices with services and software that enable people to experience music, navigation, video, television, imaging, games, business mobility and more. Nokia also provides equipment, solutions and services for communications networks.
3) American International Group (NYSE:AIG): Shares are lower 1.52% to $28.45 per share today. Over 19.5 million shares have traded hands. AIG’s stock is the worst-performer among the S&P 500 group in 2011. The company still appears to carry a grey cloud over its building since the famed bailout of the 2008 heyday. American International Group, Inc. is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries provides a varied range of insurance and insurance-related activities in the United States and abroad. The Company’s main activities include both general insurance and life insurance & retirement services operations as well as financial services and asset management. Competitors to Watch: Hartford Financial Services (NYSE:HIG), HCC Insurance Hldgs., Inc. (NYSE:HCC), American Financial Group (NYSE:AFG), ACE Limited (NYSE:ACE), The Chubb Corporation (NYSE:CB), The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE:TRV), White Mountains Insurance Group, Ltd. (NYSE:WTM), CNA Financial Corporation (NYSE:CNA), and Loews Corporation (NYSE:L)
4) Southern Copper Corporation (NYSE:SCCO): Shares are lower 6.39% to $34.14 per share today. Over 2.84 million shares have traded hands today. In which direction will the commodities markets move next? Southern Copper Corporation conducts mining operations in Peru and Mexico. The Company owns and operates open pit mines and metallurgical complexes that produce copper, molybdenum, zinc, and precious metals.
1) Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:OREX): Shares of Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. closed higher today. Orexigen Therapeutics Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company. The Company is focused on the development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products for the treatment of the central nervous system, or CNS, disorders with an initial focus on obesity.
2) Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, Inc. (NASDAQ:JOSB): Shares of Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, Inc. closed lower today. Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, Inc. manufactures classic men’s clothing. The Company sells its clothing through conventional retail stores and catalog direct marketing located throughout the United States.
3) Sealed Air Corp. (NYSE:SEE): Shares of Sealed Air Corp. closed lower today. Sealed Air Corporation manufactures a wide range of packaging and performance-based materials and equipment systems. The Company’s products serve an array of food, industrial, medical, and consumer applications.
4) Dollar General Corp. (NYSE:DG): Shares of Dollar General Corp. closed lower today. Dollar General Corp. operates a chain of discount retail stores located primarily in the southern, southwestern, midwestern and eastern United States. The Company offer a broad selection of merchandise, including consumable products such as food, paper and cleaning products, health and beauty products and pet supplies, and non-consumable products such as seasonal merchandise.
5) Daktronics, Inc. (NASDAQ:DAKT): Shares of Daktronics, Inc. closed higher today. Daktronics, Inc. supplies electronic scoreboards, computer programmable display systems, and large video displays for sport, business, and government applications. The Company designs, manufactures, installs, and services integrated systems that display real-time data, graphics, animation, and video.
6) Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation (NYSE:PVH): Shares of Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation closed higher today. Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation designs, sources, manufactures, and markets men’s, women’s, and children’s apparel and footwear. The Company markets its products at a wholesale level through department store chains and directly to consumers through retail stores.
7) RADA Electronic Ind. Ltd. (NASDAQ:RADA): Shares of RADA Electronic Ind. Ltd. closed higher today. RADA Electronic Industries Limited develops, produces, and markets automatic test equipment and avionics systems. The Company sells its systems to the civil and military aircraft industries.
8) Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK): Shares of Nokia Corporation closed lower today. Nokia Corporation is a player in the mobile industry. The Company makes a range of mobile devices with services and software that enable people to experience music, navigation, video, television, imaging, games, business mobility and more. Nokia also provides equipment, solutions and services for communications networks.
9) Thompson Creek Metals Company, Inc. (NYSE:TC): Shares of Thompson Creek Metals Company, Inc. closed lower today. Thompson Creek Metals Company, Inc. mines and processes molybdenum. The Company operates mines, mills, and metallurgical roasting facilities in Canada and the United States.
10) Esterline Technologies Corporation (NYSE:ESL): Shares of Esterline Technologies Corporation closed lower today. Esterline Technologies Corporation is worldwide supplier to the aerospace and defense industry. The Company’s core products include technology interface systems for commercial and military aircraft, jet engine sensors and electrical power distribution equipment, high temperature resistant materials, combustible ordinance and electronic warfare countermeasure products.
1) Corinthian Colleges, Inc. (NASDAQ:COCO): Shares of Corinthian Colleges, Inc. closed higher today. Corinthian Colleges, Inc. is a private, for-profit post-secondary education company operating in the United States. The Company currently operates colleges in various states. Corinthian offers a variety of degrees and diploma programs in the healthcare, electronics, and business fields. See Why These For-Profit Education Stocks are Shooting the Moon Now>>
2) Apollo Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:APOL): Shares of Apollo Group, Inc. closed higher today. Apollo Group, Inc. provides higher education programs for working adults. The Company provides educational programs and services at the high school, undergraduate, and graduate levels online and on-campus through subsidiaries.
3) Hill International Inc. (NYSE:HIL): Shares of Hill International Inc. closed higher today. Hill International Inc. is a construction consulting firm. The Company provides program management, project management, construction management and construction claims services.
4) ITT Educational Services, Inc. (NYSE:ESI): Shares of ITT Educational Services, Inc. closed higher today. ITT Educational Services, Inc. provides technology-oriented postsecondary degree programs in the United States. The Company’s institutes offer associate, bachelor, and master degree programs, as well as non-degree diploma programs. See Why These For-Profit Education Stocks are Shooting the Moon Now>>
5) Career Education Corp. (NASDAQ:CECO): Shares of Career Education Corp. closed higher today. Career Education Corporation provides private, for-profit postsecondary education in the United States and Canada. The Company’s schools offer a variety of bachelor’s degree, associate degree, and non-degree programs, with a core curricula of information technologies, visual communication and design technologies, business studies, and culinary arts.
6) Joy Global Inc. (NASDAQ:JOYG): Shares of Joy Global Inc. closed higher today. Joy Global Inc. manufactures and markets underground mining equipment and surface mining equipment. The Company’s equipment is used for the extraction of ores and minerals.
7) Exide Technologies (NASDAQ:XIDE): Shares of Exide Technologies closed lower today. Exide Technologies produces and recycles lead-acid batteries. The Company’s global transportation and industrial energy groups provide a range of stored electrical energy products and services for industrial and transportation applications.
8) Strayer Education, Inc. (NASDAQ:STRA): Shares of Strayer Education, Inc. closed higher today. Strayer Education, Inc. is the holding company of Strayer University, an institution of higher learning. Strayer University offers working adults undergraduate and graduate degree programs in business administration, accounting, information technology, education and public administration. Strayer offers courses in the eastern United States and through the Internet. See Why These For-Profit Education Stocks are Shooting the Moon Now>>
9) General Maritime Corp (NYSE:GMR): Shares of General Maritime Corp closed higher today. General Maritime Corporation provides sea borne crude oil transportation services within the Atlantic Basin. The Company’s tankers operate primarily between ports in the Caribbean, South and Central America, the United States, Western Africa, and the North Sea.
10) Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:OWW): Shares of Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. closed higher today. Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. offers travel services over the Internet. The Company’s website offers air, hotel, vacation package, car rental, cruise, travel insurance, ground transportation, event ticket, and tour bookings.
1) Altria Group (NYSE:MO): Shares are higher .51% to $27.71 per share this morning. Over 9 million shares have traded hands relative to the daily average of 10.72 million shares. Investors are fleeing to safer dividend-paying stocks. Altria pays a 5.4% annual dividend to shareholders. With capital appreciation of the stock and a strong dividend, investors see this heavyweight company as more attractive to bonds right now. Altria recently hit a 52-week high this week at $28.13 per share. Altria Group, Inc. is a holding company. The Company, through subsidiaries, manufactures and sells cigarettes and other tobacco products, including cigars and pipe tobacco. Altria holds an interest in a brewery company. Competitors to Watch: Lorillard, Inc. (NYSE:LO), Philip Morris International Inc. (NYSE:PM), Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE:RAI), British American Tobacco (AMEX:BTI), and Vector Group Ltd. (NYSE:VGR).
2) Arch Coal Inc. (NYSE:ACI): Shares are lower .33% to $17.34 per share today. Over 13 million shares have traded hands relative to the 4.96 million daily average. The company announced it will sell 48 million shares to the public at $27 per share, in a $1.3 billion public offering. Arch Coal, Inc. mines, processes, and markets low sulfur coal from surface, underground, and auger mines located in the western United States and in the central Appalachian region. The Company markets its coal primarily to electric utilities. Competitors to Watch: CONSOL Energy Inc. (NYSE:CNX), Massey Energy Co. (NYSE:MEE), Peabody Energy Corp. (NYSE:BTU), BHP Billiton Ltd. (NYSE:BHP), Patriot Coal (NYSE:PCX), James River Coal (NASDAQ:JRCC), International Coal (NYSE:ICO), Alliance Holdings (NASDAQ:AHGP), Walter Energy (NYSE:WLT), Oxford Resource (NYSE:OXF). Here’s how you can play the hot Commodities markets>>
3) iShares Silver Trust (NYSE:SLV): Shares are lower .45% to $35.14 per share today. Over 7.5 million shares have traded hands so far today. Gold appears to have one up on Silver today as the safety valve for fearful investors, following a disappointing unemployment report. iShares Silver Trust is a trust formed to invest in silver. The assets of the trust consist primarily of silver held by the custodian on behalf of the trust. The objective of the trust is for the shares to reflect the price of silver owned by the trust, less the trust’s expenses and liabilities. Competitor to Watch: Gold (NYSE:GLD). Investing in Precious Metals: Are Coin Sales Flying Like An Eagle?>>
Fresh Off the Press: Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s newest Feature Trades of the Month!