Following is information on companies whose earnings beat expectations in the third quarter of 2011.
- Concho Resources Inc. : The company reported earnings per share of $1.14 against expectations of $1.07 for a surprise of 6.54%. About the company: Concho Resources Inc. acquires, develops and explores for oil and natural gas properties in the Permian Basin area of Southeast New Mexico and West Texas.
- Consolidated Graphics, Inc. : The company reported earnings per share of $0.74 against expectations of $0.61 for a surprise of 21.31%. About the company: Consolidated Graphics, Inc. provides printing services in the United States. The Company’s printing businesses provide traditional printing services, complemented at certain locations by electronic communication and fulfillment services. Consolidated serves corporations, mutual fund companies, advertising agencies, graphic design firms, catalog retailers, and direct mail distributors.
- Corrections Corporation of America : The company reported earnings per share of $0.37 against expectations of $0.36 for a surprise of 2.78%. About the company: Corrections Corporation of America provides detention and corrections services to governmental agencies. The Company owns correctional and detention facilities in the United States and the United Kingdom. Services include design, construction, ownership, renovation, and management of new or existing jails and prisons, as well as long distance inmate transportation services.
- Cousins Properties Incorporated : The company reported earnings per share of $0.14 against expectations of $0.11 for a surprise of 27.27%. About the company: Cousins Properties, Inc. is a real estate investment trust that derives its revenues from the acquisition, financing, development, management and leasing of commercial properties. These retail and office properties are concentrated in the Southern United States.
- Covance Inc. : The company reported earnings per share of $0.71 against expectations of $0.70 for a surprise of 1.43%. About the company: Covance Inc. is a contract research organization providing a wide range of integrated product development services on a worldwide basis. The Company’s customers include the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries. Covance also provides health economics and outcomes services, as well as laboratory testing services.
- Cross Country Healthcare, Inc. : The company reported earnings per share of $0.06 against expectations of $0.04 for a surprise of 50.00%. About the company: Cross Country Healthcare, Inc. provides healthcare staffing services in the United States. The Company provides travel nurse and allied health staffing, per diem nurse staffing, and clinical research trials staffing. Cross Country’s other staffing services include the placement of allied healthcare professionals, such as radiology technicians and rehabilitation therapists.
- Devon Energy Corporation : The company reported earnings per share of $1.54 against expectations of $1.46 for a surprise of 5.48%. About the company: Devon Energy Corporation is an independent energy company that is involved primarily in oil and gas exploration, development and production, the transportation of oil, gas, and NGLs and the processing of natural gas. The Company also has marketing and midstream operations primarily in North America that include gas, crude oil and NGLs.
- Dresser-Rand Group Inc. : The company reported earnings per share of $0.51 against expectations of $0.44 for a surprise of 15.91%. About the company: Dresser-Rand Group, Inc. manufactures equipment for the oil and natural gas industries. The Company manufactures oil and gas production, high-pressure field injection, pipeline, refinery, natural gas processing, and petrochemical production equipment.
- EZchip Semiconductor Limited : The company reported earnings per share of $0.35 against expectations of $0.32 for a surprise of 9.37%. About the company: EZchip Semiconductor Ltd. is a fabless semiconductor company that develops Ethernet network processors.
- Ecotality, Inc. : The company reported earnings per share of ($0.14) against expectations of ($0.25) for a surprise of 44.00%. About the company: ECOatlity Inc. innovates electric vehicle charging solutions. The Company is working on the U.S. Department of Energy’s EV Project to build out charge systems. ECOtatlity Inc uses its clean technologies to address global energy challenges.
(Note: Earnings data are sourced from Yahoo! Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls