iShares MSCI Hong Kong Index (NYSEArca:EWH): Option volume 3,724 percent above average. More than 79,000 September 19 puts were sold for $1.70 and an equal number of September 19 calls were bought for $0.20 as an existing bearish position was closed. EWH fell 2.97 percent to $17.30.
Interactive Brokers Group (NasdaqGS:IBKR): Option volume 2,068 percent above average. Investors sold about 5,800 September 16 puts, taking profits as the shares decline. Almost 9,000 January 13.21 puts were purchased against open interest later in the session. IBKR fell 1.97 percent to $14.43.
Mindray Medical international (NYSE:MR): Option volume 1,811 percent above average. Investors bought and sold the August 25 puts. MR rose 3.14 percent to $25.29.
Talisman Energy (NYSE:TLM): Option volume 1658 percent above average. There was heavy buying in the October 19 calls, the January 25 calls and the October 24 calls. TLM fell 0.93 percent to $17.02.
Gannet (NYSE:GCI): Option volume 1,398 percent above average. Investors sold the October 10 puts and the October 13 puts. GCI fell 4.59 percent to $10.80.
Rounding out the rest of the top 10 are:
- Fusion-io (NYSE:FIO): Option volume 1,388 percent above average.
- Alon USA (NYSE:ALJ): Option volume 1,378 percent above average.
- Quiksilver (NYSE:ZQK): Option volume 1,342 percent above average.
- Jarden (NYSE:JAH): Option volume 1,269 percent above average.
- Varian Semiconductor (NasdaqGS:VSEA): Option volume 1,249 percent above average.