Angelina Jolie stunt double had phone hacked, UK court hears

Reuters

* Friend of Hollywood actress targeted by UK paper

* Duchess of Cambridge on list in hacker's notes

* Associates of Beatle Paul McCartney, ex-wife hacked

* Politicians, royal and rival reporters targeted

By Michael Holden

LONDON, Nov 12 (Reuters) - A stunt double for Angelina Joliehad her phone hacked by a private eye working for a RupertMurdoch British tabloid to gain information about the actress'srelationship with Brad Pitt, a trial of two former editors heardon Tuesday.

Eunice Huthart, who was also a good friend of the actress,was targeted by the News of the World in 2005 and 2006 whenthere was huge media interest in the Hollywood stars'relationship, prosecutors told the Old Bailey court.

In other evidence, the court heard that the name of KateMiddleton, now the wife of Queen Elizabeth's grandson PrinceWilliam, appeared on a list entitled "Target Evaluation"discovered in the house of a man who has admitted carrying outphone-hacking for the newspaper.

Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, former News of the Worldeditors, who also have close links to Prime Minister DavidCameron, are on trial accused of conspiracy to hack phones andother charges. Six others are also on trial and they all denyallegations against them.

The phone-hacking accusations sent shockwaves through theBritish establishment, led to a public inquiry into the conductof the press, raised questions about police investigations andforced Murdoch to close the News of the World, Britain'sbest-selling newspaper.

The jury of nine women and three men heard on Tuesday thatan entry in a notebook belonging to private detective GlennMulcaire, who has admitted illegally tapping voicemails onmobile phones for the tabloid, contained details of Huthart'smobile phone and her voicemail PIN number.

MULCAIRE ARREST

The entry was dated July 2005. Huthart was in Los Angeleswhere Jolie and Pitt were filming "Mr and Mrs Smith" and mediaspeculation about their relationship was intense.

In June, Huthart launched the first legal action in theUnited States against Murdoch's News Corp over phone-hackingwhich her lawsuit said had occurred in 2004 and 2005.

Prosecutors said it was accepted that Mulcaire had hackedher phone four times in early 2006 around the time Joliepublicly announced she was pregnant with Pitt's child.

Numerous stories appeared in the News of the World duringthis period, when Coulson was the paper's editor and prosecutorshave previously argued he must have been aware where suchinformation came from, an accusation he rejects.

The court was also shown an entry in Mulcaire's notebookwith a handwritten list of 18 names including Middleton, now theDuchess of Cambridge, and London mayor Boris Johnson.

The discovery was made when Mulcaire was first arrested bydetectives in 2006, but no further reference to whether theduchess was actually targeted was made.

Among a host of other people the court was told had beenhacked was Lord Freddie Windsor, son of the queen's cousin and adistant heir to the throne. Windsor's phone was repeatedlyhacked by Mulcaire and by someone using a News of the Worldphone in April and May 2006, prosecutors said.

The court also heard that Mulcaire had hacked phones of thepublicist and personal assistant of Beatle Paul McCartney, alongwith the sister of his ex-wife Heather Mills.

Other victims included the lover of former British DeputyPrime Minister John Prescott and ex-minister Tessa Jowell, whoselawyer husband was accused by Italian authorities of corruptioncharges linked to ex-Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

Phone records showed Jowell's phone was repeatedly hackedbetween March and July 2006, the court heard.

The jury heard it was not only politicians and celebritieswho were targeted but the phones of two journalists from a rivalpaper were also hacked on numerous occasions while they wereworking on a story about Prescott's affair.

View Comments (1)