Ashland Redeems Senior Notes

Zacks

Specialty chemicals maker Ashland Inc. (ASH) has declared the redemption of the remaining 12% of its outstanding 9.125% Senior Notes due 2017 on June 1, 2013. With this, Ashland has completed the redemption of all of its remaining outstanding 9.125% Senior Notes .

In July last year, Ashland had offered a cash tender for any and its entire outstanding $650 million aggregate principal amount of the Senior Notes due 2017. At that time, roughly 88% or $572 million aggregate principal amount of the outstanding Senior Notes were tendered. The remaining 12% or around $78 million aggregate principal amount of outstanding Notes are now been redeemed.

The Senior Notes holders were paid $1,045.63 per $1,000.00 aggregate principal amount of the Notes along with accrued and unpaid interest up to, but not including, the redemption date.

Ashland makes nickel and cobalt-based alloys in sheet coil and plate forms. Its Consumer Markets segment markets Valvoline, world’s first lubricating oil. It also operates the Valvoline Instant Oil Change, the nation’s second-largest franchised quick-lube chain. Ashland offers specialty chemicals to more than 100 countries.

Last month, Ashland reported second-quarter fiscal 2013 (ended Mar 31, 2013) adjusted earnings (excluding one-time items) from continuing operations of $1.78 per share, outshining the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.56 a share.

Profits from continuing operations, as reported, fell roughly 39% year over year to $55 million or 68 cents a share. Revenues fell 5% year over year to $1,974 million, missing the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $2,057 million. Ashland was challenged by weakness prevailing in a number of key regions, namely Europe. It witnessed lower sales across each of its business segments in the quarter on lower demand.
 
Ashland currently carries a short-term Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).

Other companies in the chemical industry that are worth considering include Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd. (SHECY), Celanese Corporation (CE) and Methanex Corp. (MEOH). All of them retain a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy)
 

Read the Full Research Report on ASH

Read the Full Research Report on SHECY

Read the Full Research Report on MEOH

Read the Full Research Report on CE

Zacks Investment Research



More From Zacks.com
View Comments (0)