AMSTERDAM and SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AVG Technologies N.V. (AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security, privacy and optimization to 172 million active users, today announced senior security evangelist, Tony Anscombe, has authored and released a book, One Parent to Another. The book is a hands-on practical guide and discussion of the challenges parents of all ages are facing in today's digital world, based on Anscombe's experiences as a father and as an expert with over 20 years in the security industry.
In One Parent to Another, Anscombe looks at the impact of technology on family life and the challenges it presents to parents and children alike. Some of the important topics he addresses in the book include:
- What we actually mean when we use the term 'connected devices' as it's not simply about the computer, the laptop, the tablet and the smartphone any more
- Connecting to the Internet safely by using the tools available to everyone to provide basic security and privacy
- Technology etiquette and behavior for the whole family: over-sharing, cyberbullying and leading by example
- Tools for parents to get up to speed on the latest technology, parental controls options and tips to help keep your child safe online
AVG research* has shown that it's increasingly common for an infant to have a 'digital birth' before they are physically born, with 23 per cent of mothers sharing sonogram pictures on social networks like Facebook, and 81 per cent of children under two currently have some kind of digital dossier or footprint. This 'sharenting' behavior, where parents willingly share pictures and information about their children, is one side of the story; on the other side, 69 per cent of people in different AVG survey felt technology would only become more intrusive in the future.
"The book was born from conversations I have had with friends who have children and are concerned about them spending time on the internet, what they might encounter there and the devices they are using. Technology is a great enabler if used responsibly, but parents can feel it's a struggle to keep up to speed with the pace of its development and that the etiquette for using it is often defined after the fact," said Tony Anscombe, Senior Security Evangelist, AVG Technologies.
"I am a dad and I am also lucky to work for a company that provides products and services that help people to protect themselves and their families online. Yet even I find the culture shift driven by technology adoption and user behavior hard to keep up with, and my book sets out to help other parents just like me make sure they understand the basic privacy and protection options they can easily put in place."
- Download One Parent to Another here: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/one-parent-to-another
- Follow Tony Anscombe at his blog: http://blogs.avg.com/author/tony-anscombe/ and on Twitter @tonyatavg
- Watch Tony talking about the book and discussing the major themes with other parents at http://www.youtube.com/user/officialAVG
- Download our other free eBooks:
- An Online Safety Guide for Parents by Tony Anscombe: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/guide-for-parents
- Parent's Guide to Early Years Online by Judith Bitterli: (http://blogs.avg.com/author/judith-bitterli/): http://www.avg.com/ebooks/digital-early-years#.UnKkLWVFDIU
*The research was conducted by Research Now among 2200 mothers with young (under two) children during the week of 27 September. Mothers in the EU5 (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain), Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand and Japan were polled.
About AVG Technologies (AVG)
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to‐use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 172 million active users as of September 30, 2013 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software.
Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AVGfree
- Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/AVG
- Join our LinkedIn community at www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
- Arts & Entertainment