VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - Mar 31, 2014) - Bard on the Beach celebrates its 25th anniversary season in Vanier Park with two of Shakespeare's best loved productions. Tickets for Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival go on sale April 1, 2014 in advance of Vancouver's signature summer theatre festival, which returns to its seaside home in Vanier Park from June 11 to September 20, 2014.
"We are very excited to celebrate our 25 years of bringing Shakespeare to life in Vancouver," said Bard Artistic Director Christopher Gaze. "To salute that legacy, we are revisiting two productions that our audiences truly loved. It is our birthday gift to Vancouver as we and the rest of the world celebrate the 450th anniversary year of Shakespeare's birth. I'm proud and confident that it will be a landmark season."
For the 25th year anniversary, Bard on the Beach is bringing back two audience favourites to the BMO Mainstage with the re-imagining of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, directed by Dean Paul Gibson (Bard Associate Artistic Director) and THE TEMPEST, directed by Meg Roe. On the Douglas Campbell Studio Stage, Bard will present a bold, physical adaptation of Shakespeare's CYMBELINE, performed by a six-actor ensemble and directed by Anita Rochon (Chop Theatre). Alternating with Cymbeline is EQUIVOCATION, written by playwright Bill Cain and directed by the Belfry Theatre (Victoria, BC) Artistic Director Michael Shamata (a co-production with the Belfry).
There is also an exciting lineup of 25th anniversary special events, which are additional opportunities to come back to Bard on the Beach for the hundreds of thousands of people, both artists and patrons, who have created the Festival's exceptional history together.
Play Run dates and Special Events for 2014 are:
- A Midsummer Night's Dream - June 11 to September 20 (BMO Mainstage) - Opening Night June 21
- The Tempest - June 12 to September 18 (BMO Mainstage) - Opening Night June 27
- Equivocation - July 2 to September 19 (Studio Stage) - Opening Night July 10
- Cymbeline - July 4 to September 17 (Studio Stage) - Opening Night July 13
- Gazing Back: Reflecting on 25 Years at Bard - July 14 & 28, August 11, September 9 & 12 at 7:30 pm - Join Christopher Gaze as he recalls highlights, hiccups and some well-kept secrets from Bard's fascinating 25-year history. Each show includes special guests.
- Bard Explored: Lecture Series - Saturdays at 11:30 am and Mondays at 7:30 pm (2 lectures per play; see the website for topics)
- Chor Leoni: Manely #1's - June 23, 30 @ 3 & 8pm - Pop hits, Broadway show-tunes and more in a musical celebration of the number 1.
- EnChor Choir: In the Gloaming - July 7 @ 7:30pm - A musical salute to summer campfire singalongs, suitable for the whole family.
- Bard-B-Q & Fireworks - July 26 & 30, August 2 @ 4:30pm - Play plus salmon barbecue, post-dinner entertainment & fireworks viewing.
- Celebrating Red & White - August 16 @ 5pm - BC VQA wine tasting between matinee and evening play performances.
- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra: Mozart @ Bard - July 21 @ 7:30pm - Gordon Gerrard conducts the VSO on the BMO Mainstage.
- Shakespeare's Opera (Opera & Arias) - August 25, September 1@ 2 & 7:30pm - The UBC Opera Ensemble & members of the Vancouver Opera Orchestra present a programme of Shakespeare-inspired opera favourites by Berlioz, Bellini, Gounod, Verdi and more.
- Bard, Beer & Pretzels - September 8 @ 5pm - A sampling of toast-worthy ales in the Bard Village, paired with artisan baked pretzels.
- Fight Night: Academie Duello -September 8 @ 7:30pm - A thrilling night of swords & words, featuring three top fight choreographers.
- Will Shakespeare's ImprovMusical - September 1, 8, 9, 15 & 16 @ 7:30pm - A completely-improvised musical theatre presentation based on the plots and language of William Shakespeare. A 2012 Vancouver Fringe Festival hit.
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada's largest professional Shakespeare company. The annual summer festival is located in Kitsilano's seaside Vanier Park, adjacent to Vancouver's downtown core. The productions are staged in modern open-ended tents on the waterfront against a stunning backdrop of mountains, sea and sky. Play performances run Tuesdays through Sundays with (NEW in 2014) all evening performances starting at 7:30 pm. Matinees are presented on selected weekends and weekdays.
Play ticket prices (adults) include all fees & taxes and are $47 (evenings) and $33 to $35 (previews, matinees and long weekend evenings) with a $27 Global BC Youth Rate (6-25 years, all play performances). Early Bird regular adult tickets are priced at $43 to May 30. Prices for special events, groups and multi-play ticket package discounts can be found on the Bard website. All tickets go on sale April 1. Early booking is recommended for best seat selection (all seats are reserved) and because many performances sell out in advance.
The performance schedule and full site and event information can be found on the Bard website at www.bardonthebeach.org. For more information and tickets, call the Bard Box Office at 604-739-0559, (toll free) 1-877-739-0559 or order online through the Bard website.
Bard on the Beach gratefully acknowledges its major corporate sponsors: 2014 Season Sponsor Goldcorp and annual sponsors RE/MAX, Polygon, BlueShore Financial, Lonetree Cider, BMO, Starbucks, RBC and Emelle's Catering, plus other valued corporate supporters. Media sponsors are The Vancouver Sun, Global BC TV and CKNW AM980. Bard also thanks the City of Vancouver Cultural Services Department, the Vancouver Foundation, the BC Arts Council, the Province of BC and the Canada Council for the Arts for their continuing support.
2014 advance photography is now available on the Bard website.
Please contact Cynnamon Schreinert for password access or interviews.
Tel: 604-802-2733; Email: email@example.com
- Performing Arts
Publicist and Media Relations Consultant