APIf you want to build a Facebook-like site where people can play games and share content, here's how to do it.
Here's a quick summary:
- Facebook's front-end is primarily delivered through PHP, a popular scripting language for Web development. It runs on a compiling system similar or equal to HipHop for PHP.
- Facebook relies on dozens of data centers and thousands of servers to handle things like its user database, Graph Search queries, and photo and video uploads.
- Facebook designs a lot of its own hardware so the site can be as efficient and cost-effective as possible. It uses "load balancers to make sure that machines which are free take on more load." Facebook physically maintains all of those machines.
- A lot of internal tools are written in Python or Bash.
- Lots of back-end tools are written in C, C ++, Java, or Perl.
More From Business Insider
- Who Wields Real Influence On Social Media?
- Here's Why Facebook Wants To Spend $1 Billion On Waze, According To Industry Sources Who Are Smarter Than We Are
- It Looks Like The Facebook Android App Can Control Your Camera And Take Pictures Without Telling You
- Social & Online Media
- Arts & Entertainment