Oct 11 (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index looked set toopen little changed on Friday as talks continued in Washingtonto end a fiscal stalemate that has shut down the U.S. governmentfor days.
Potash Corp of Saskatchewan Inc was expected to beactive after the world's biggest fertilizer producer estimatedquarterly profit would be below analysts' expectations as itscustomers delayed purchases due to near-term market uncertainty.[ID: nL1N0I02MC]
* JPMorgan Chase & Co reported a loss in the third quarteras the biggest U.S. bank by assets recorded additional expensesfor lawsuits and government investigations.
* President Barack Obama and Republican leaders appearedready to end a political crisis that has shuttered much of theU.S. government and pushed the country dangerously close todefault after meeting at the White House on Thursday.
* Shares in Britain's Royal Mail rocketed to a near 40percent premium above their issue price in stock market debut,fuelling a debate about whether they had been priced too low inorder to guarantee a successful privatization.
* India's second-largest software services exporter, postedquarterly profit that missed analyst estimates on a chargerelated to visa use in the United States, but raised the lowerend of its fiscal full-year revenue guidance.
* Canada stock futures traded up 0.07 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were uparound 0.07 percent to 0.16 percent
* European shares, were up
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 287.1551;fell 0.27 percent
* Gold futures : $1,288.4; fell 0.63 percent
* US crude : $101.78; fell 1.19 percent
* Brent crude : $111.61; fell 0.17 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,158; rose 0.18 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* Agrium Inc : Activist hedge fund Jana Partners LLCtrimmed its holding in Agrium and said it was pleased with thefertilizer company's recent capital return and change in CEO.
* TransCanada Corp : The U.S. government shutdown ismaking it harder for the State Department to review thecompany's Keystone XL pipeline permit process, a StateDepartment official said on Thursday, which could delayPresident Barack Obama's decision on the project. [ID:nL1N0I02FC]
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadiancompanies reported by Reuters.
* Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd : Canaccord Genuitycuts target price to C$131 from C$138 on reduced mid-term growthexpectations
* CanElson Drilling Inc : National Bank Financialresumes coverage with outperform; target price C$8, says thecompany is queued up for substantial fleet growth
* Conifex Timber Inc : National Bank Financial startscoverage with outperform; target C$10.50, says proceeds fromdebt financing will support growth
* Contrans Group Inc : BMO cuts to rating marketperform from outperform, says the trucking industry conditionsin Canada remain challenging
* DragonWave Inc : Canaccord Genuity cuts targetprice of its U.S. listed shares to $1.75 from$2.10 after itssecond-quarter results missed estimates
ON THE CALENDAR
* Major Canadian economic data includes employment change,unemployment rate and participation rate
* Major U.S. events and data includes Reuters/UMich consumersentiment
- Stocks & Offerings
- President Barack Obama