Oct 23 (Reuters) - Canadian stock index futures pointed to alower open on Wednesday, ahead of the Bank of Canada's interestrate decision, as concerns about the prospect of tighter Chinesemonetary policy weighed on investor sentiment.
* The European Central Bank promised on Wednesday to put topeuro zone banks through rigorous tests next year, staking itscredibility on a review that aims to build confidence in thesector.
* Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd, Canada's No. 2 railoperator, reported a 45 percent jump in third-quarter profit asfreight revenue rose and operating costs fell.
* Encana Corp reported its second straight quarterly profitas its oil and natural gas liquids volumes nearly doubled.
* Canadian National Railway Co, the focus of fresh scrutinyafter one of its trains derailed and caught fire last weekend,reported a market-beating third-quarter profit and recordrevenue on Tuesday, as it announced a two-for-one stock splitand share buyback plan.
* GlaxoSmithKline's drug sales in China tumbled 61 percentin the third quarter, hit by a bribery scandal that has damagedits ability to market medicines in the country.
* Canada stock futures traded down 0.34 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were downaround 0.48 percent to 0.63 percent
* European shares, were down
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 283.8318;fell 0.51 percent
* Gold futures : $1,342.5; was unchanged 0 percent
* US crude : $96.86; fell 1.46 percent
* Brent crude : $109.63; fell 0.31 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,224; fell 1.47 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* Celestica Inc : The contract electronicsmanufacturer's third-quarter net profit rose 31 percent, helpedby higher demand from telecom companies for its networkingequipment. Net income rose to $57.4 million, or 31 cents pershare in the third quarter ended Sept. 30, from $43.7 million,or 21 cents per share, a year earlier. Analysts on average hadexpected earnings of 21 cents per share.
* Empire Co Ltd : The operator of Canadian grocerychain Sobeys said on Tuesday that Canada's competition watchdogapproved its acquisition of substantially all of Safeway Inc'sassets in Canada.
* Goldcorp : The company has secured the environmentalpermit it needs to progress with its copper and gold El Morroproject in the north of Chile, the miner said on Tuesday.
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadiancompanies reported by Reuters.
* Methanex Corp : Raymond James raises target priceof U.S.-listed shares to $63 from $58 after the company agreedto sell a 10 percent interest in EMethanex to Arab PetroleumInvestments Corporation and on continued price momentum acrossglobal methanol markets
* Novadaq Technologies Inc : JMP Securities raisestarget price to $20 from $15 U.S.-listed shares following thecompany's third-quarter results
ON THE CALENDAR
* Major Canadian economic data includes the Bank of Canadarate decision
* Major U.S. events and data includes import & export pricesand employment index
- Investment & Company Information
- Bank of Canada
- Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd
- European Central Bank