- Must-know facts about the silver rally Market Realist - 8 hours ago
While the metal has had a respectable run over the past month, silver is still playing catch-up after losses earlier this year.
- Why investors should closely watch natural gas inventory figures Market Realist - 9 hours ago
Natural gas prices directly affect earnings for gas-weighted producers such as Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK), EQT Corporation (EQT), Southwestern Energy Company (SWN), and Range Resources Corporation ...
- Should you jump on the silver bandwagon? Market Realist - 12 hours ago
After rising nearly 12% from its June lows, silver has been garnering some attention lately, leaving many investors wondering whether they should raise their allocations to the precious metal.
- Can the U.S. Double Its Crude Exports in a Year? @ BusinessWeek - 12 hours ago
The Department of Commerce has determined that Pioneer Natural Resources and Enterprise Products Partners could start exporting condensate, an ultralight type of crude
- Why you should stick with energy stocks: Geopolitical risk Market Realist - 12 hours ago
Oil prices should be declining. Russ explains why they’re on the rise instead, how this has helped energy stocks in 2014 and why investors should still consider an overweight to the global energy sector....
- Why a drop in US crude inventories boosted oil prices Market Realist - 13 hours ago
The decline in supplies is attributed to a sustained demand from refineries. Demand from refineries are running at record levels, near 16.8 million barrels per day, for the last couple of weeks.
- Shale gas speed-up likely to make slow progress @ Financial Times - 13 hours ago
The plan for the next big expansion in fracking licences announced on Monday is the latest step in the government's campaign to unlock a potential bonanza of shale gas sitting under the UK. However, industry ...
- Ryanair: aerial refuelling @ Financial Times - 14 hours ago
The airline that liked to say no has been replaced with a friendly hello. Ryanair pleasantly surprised the market on Monday with better-than-expected first-quarter earnings. Even better, it raised by 6 ...
- Coffee jumps on Brazilian harvest worries @ Financial Times - 15 hours ago
Coffee prices firmed to a two-month high on continued uncertainty about the size of the crop in Brazil, the world's largest producer of the commodity. After hitting a two-year high of $2.19 a pound in ...
- Must-know: Why crude inventories are an important indicator Market Realist - 17 hours ago
The markets monitor crude inventory figures because inventory data can indicate supply and demand trends. If an increase in crude inventories is more than expected, it's bearish for crude oil prices.
- Must-know: The future for Peabody Energy Market Realist - 17 hours ago
Peabody Energy (BTU) operates only thermal coal mines in the U.S.
- Why natural gas production is rising despite less rig targeting Market Realist - 17 hours ago
Natural gas prices throughout 2014 are up significantly from last year. But, natural gas prices are still lower than historical levels.
- Will a management change shift Cliffs Natural Resources’ goals? Market Realist - 17 hours ago
New management plans to change its strategic course and improve operating and financial discipline following the company's $9 billion acquisition spree over the last decade.
- Brent Near $108 With Tension In Israel In Focus Benzinga - 18 hours ago
Brent crude oil declined on Monday as tension in Gaza cooled off following a difficult to achieve humanitarian agreement between Hamas and Israeli forces. The commodity traded at $107.96 at 6:15 GMT, ...
- The 10 Most Oil-Rich States 24/7 Wall St. - 20 hours ago
The U.S. energy industry is booming. As new technologies make oil easier and more affordable to extract, the United States is poised to become the world’s leading oil producer as soon as 2015, according ...
- Russia ordered to pay $50B over oil company @ USA TODAY - 21 hours ago
Former CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky built Yukos into Russia's largest oil company.
- Water scarcity and rising energy costs threaten mining industry @ Financial Times - Sun, Jul 27, 2014 6:03 PM EDT
Access to water has become one of the most significant business risks for miners, says a report that also highlights the threat to the sector from rising energy costs in some resource-rich areas. EY, the ...
- States with the highest gas prices @ USA TODAY - Sun, Jul 27, 2014 2:17 PM EDT
Gas runs an average of $4.35 a gallon in the Aloha State.
- Miners: the hole truth @ Financial Times - Sun, Jul 27, 2014 11:57 AM EDT
In 1530, Charles V was the last Holy Roman Emperor to be crowned by a pope. He paid for it with the Royal Fifth: a levy upon precious metals from his American empire which took 20 per cent. Payments like ...
- #PreMarket Prep Guest List For The Week Of July 28, 2014 Benzinga - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 4:14 PM EDT
It will be another great week of old and new faces on Benzinga’s #PreMarket Prep broadcast, sponsored by OptionsHouse. There will be another book giveaway! But you have to tune in at 8:00 a.m. EST Monday-Friday ...
- Lead jumps to highest in eight months @ Financial Times - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 12:36 PM EDT
Lead ballooned to an eight-month high on Friday as the recent rally in base metals prices showed no sign of ending. The price of the soft metal, used mainly in the manufacture of automobile and motorcycle ...
- [$$] Refiners Should Boost Returns @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 11:12 AM EDT
Credit Suisse As crude prices have rallied in the seasonally tight summer period, refiner earnings risks have risen. It's getting closer for shareholders to get on the offense also: As we've been flagging, select names are getting closer to the value support of their nonrefining business (Marathon Petroleum (MPC) and …
- Brent Steady Between Over-Supply And Geopolitical Tension Benzinga - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
Brent crude oil remained near $107 as rising global supplies helped mitigate worries about geopolitical tensions. The commodity traded at $107.28 at 7:15 GMT despite ongoing conflicts in the Middle East ...
- Why higher sales came as a surprise for Peabody Energy Market Realist - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
The U.S. operations recorded 6.2% growth in revenues from $970.9 million to $1.03 billion.
- Why coal stocks may not benefit from the improving economy Market Realist - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
The unemployment rate has fallen to 6.1% in June—the closest it has been to the Fed's target in the past five years.
- Danone profits hit by high milk prices and strong euro @ Financial Times - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 7:15 AM EDT
Danone, the French dairy producer, reported a 20 per cent fall in first-half operating profit as the group battled high milk prices, a strong euro and the fallout from a product recall in Asia. The world's ...
- Statoil cuts output to swerve low prices as earnings disappoint @ Financial Times - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 5:52 AM EDT
Statoil deliberately cut back on gas production in the second quarter due to low prices as the Norwegian state-controlled oil company delivered disappointing earnings. Adjusted operating profit in the ...
- Anglo American's Mark Cutifani promises sales of underperformers @ Financial Times - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 4:42 AM EDT
Anglo American promised further sales of underperforming businesses as Mark Cutifani said the miner's turnround was on course in spite of lower commodity prices and a long strike in South Africa's platinum ...
- Why falling labor productivity will increase coal producers’ cost Market Realist - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
Coal is usually extracted in two ways—through surface mining and through underground mining.
- Must-know: US Steel Corp. key points for investors Market Realist - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
The growth in the U.S. oil and gas industry along with the shale boom, should have been a godsend opportunity for the domestic steel industry.
- Must-know: An overview of Peabody Energy Market Realist - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 3:47 PM EDT
The company also has operations in Australia where it produces both thermal and metallurgical coal.
- Must-know: The trend and outlook on coal prices Market Realist - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
With largest coal reserves in the world, U.S. producers (KOL) manufacture excess coal.
- Iron ore miners ramp up output to offset price weakness @ Financial Times - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 12:35 PM EDT
Iron ore is under renewed pressure with the price of the key steelmaking ingredient falling for a sixth-straight session. Benchmark Australian iron ore, with 62 per cent iron content, slipped 70 cents ...
- China Stabilizes: EM Gold Miners Drop @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 12:18 PM EDT
Gold futures for December delivery fell 1% to 1,291 an ounce today to a five-week low, after China posted surprise July flash PMI data and U.S. jobless claims fell to the lowest since February 2006 last ...
- Must-know: Why coal stocks haven’t kept pace with markets Market Realist - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
Arch Coal (ACI) has lost 30% since the start of the year.
- Cost-cutting Caterpillar raises forecast @ Financial Times - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 8:52 AM EDT
Caterpillar, the world's largest maker of heavy machinery, raised its earnings forecast and reported second-quarter profits that beat expectations after cutting costs in the face of a long-running slump ...
- Russia and Ukraine at odds over gas deal @ Financial Times - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 6:38 AM EDT
While markets have been focused on the latest geopolitical flashpoint involving Russia and Ukraine - the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 - an unresolved dispute between the two countries over ...
- China equities lead Asia-Pacific gains @ Financial Times - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 1:15 AM EDT
Thursday 06:15 BST. Chinese equities led Asia-Pacific bourses higher on hopes that the manufacturing sector in the world's second-largest economy is expanding at a quickening pace. HSBC's "flash" ...
- Newcrest warns of up to A$2.5bn writedown @ Financial Times - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 12:59 AM EDT
Newcrest Mining expects to write down the value of its assets by up to A$2.5bn (US$2.4bn), less than a year after reporting a record loss caused by huge impairments linked to falling gold prices. Australia's ...
- Why China’s crude steel production hits record levels Market Realist - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
Global crude steel production increased at an annual 2.2% rate in May to 141 million tons as output in China hit new record levels.
- S&P 500 at record high as earnings please @ Financial Times - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 4:10 PM EDT
Wednesday 21:00 BST. A further fading of geopolitical concerns and some well-received earnings reports from Apple and Microsoft late on Tuesday helped pave the way for US stocks to reach fresh record highs. ...
- Why coal imports drop as China resorts to renewable resources Market Realist - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
Meanwhile, total generation capacity stood at 1,251.22 gigawatts (or GW)—a 9.4% YoY increase.
- Kazakhmys copper mining group details demerger plans @ Financial Times - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 11:02 AM EDT
Kazakhmys has firmed up plans to split most of its mines into a company headed by its largest shareholder. The spin-off will break up a miner that was a member of London's FTSE 100 index until last year ...
- Why China’s coal imports increase during the first half of 2014 Market Realist - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
For the first half of 2014, China's coal imports stood at 159.87 million metric tons—an increase of 0.9% from the same period last year.
- Why midstream and oilfield service companies need fracking Market Realist - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
These companies offer several services, including transporting, storing, and processing natural gas and crude oil.
- Obama Take Heed: Aussies Repeal ‘Economy Killer’ Carbon Tax The Fiscal Times - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 5:45 AM EDT
Those very outcomes were by anticipated by U.S. legislators from both sides of the aisle when they refused to endorse President Obama’s early push for a cap-and-trade program.. A fall-out he now risks in implementing new carbon regulations proposed by the EPA earlier this year. By demanding that power plants chop carbon …
- Japanese trading houses look to sell Australia coal assets @ Financial Times - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 4:25 AM EDT
Two Japanese trading houses are trying to sell their stakes in a big Australian coal project, in a further sign of a sector-wide shake-up being driven by low commodity prices, high costs and a strong Australian ...
- BHP mines record level of iron ore @ Financial Times - Tue, Jul 22, 2014 10:15 PM EDT
BHP Billiton mined a record amount of iron ore in the 12 months to July, beating its own forecasts, and said production would expand further in 2015 as the company squeezes extra capacity out of its existing ...
- Must-know: Why natural gas prices slumped sharply to ~$3.95 Market Realist - Tue, Jul 22, 2014 6:46 PM EDT
Natural gas futures prices fell sharply last week to settle at ~$3.95/Btu. This decline was primarily due to a larger than expected increase in natural gas stockpiles.
- Must-know: Why upstream players like ExxonMobil rely on fracking Market Realist - Tue, Jul 22, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
For upstream companies, fracking has turned prospects that were previously considered non-viable into profitable opportunities.