- Natural gas prices rally, wholesale electricity prices should rise Market Realist - 15 hours ago
Natural gas is the second-largest source of electricity generation in the United States, after coal. In 2013, 27% of electricity derived from natural gas.
- WTI crude oil crashes on a strong dollar and an inventory buildup Market Realist - 16 hours ago
West Texas Intermediate (or WTI) crude oil for April 2015 futures contracts closed at $48.17 per barrel after testing the lows of February 4 and 5.
- Goldcorp acquires Probe Mines to boost reserve base Market Realist - 19 hours ago
Goldcorp (GG) is acquiring Probe Mines from Aginco Eagle Mines (AEM). The total consideration for the Probe acquisition is 526 million Canadian dollars.
- Electricity generation drops below 5-year average Market Realist - 19 hours ago
Over 90% of the coal produced in the US is used for electricity generation. The utilities segment is coal’s largest end user.
- Peru Gold Miner Jumps 5% On 4Q Results @ Barrons.com - 20 hours ago
Shares of Peru's largest mining company are up 5.4% today after it reported fourth quarter results. Compania de Minas Buenaventura (BVN) said strong gold production at the Yanacocha mine helped results ...
- Analyzing the latest increase in heating oil prices Market Realist - 20 hours ago
As of February 16, residential heating oil prices averaged ~$3.03 per gallon. The prices were ~$0.12 per gallon higher than last week.
- How Low Crude Prices Affect Nations, States and Companies @ 24/7 Wall St. - 21 hours ago
When oilprices fall, a company may have trouble making interest payments, the cost of capital rises and sources of cash may dry up. The same can be said of sovereign governments and state governments.
- Brent crude hits $60: Why coal investors should care Market Realist - 23 hours ago
Brent crude prices recovered to $59.76 for the week ending February 20, up from $56.83 for the week ending February 13.
- Key update on propane inventories – prices are lower and steadier Market Realist - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 10:05 AM EST
In the week ending February 13, US propane inventories decreased by 3.5 MMbbls to 61.5 MMbbls. They were ~130% than the same period last year.
- Finally Stable? Oil Set For First Monthly Gain Since June 2014 Benzinga - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 9:26 AM EST
The United States Oil Fund LP (NYSE: USO ) is set for its first monthly gain since last June – an eight-month slide that has seen the oil proxy fall by more than 53 percent. In February, USO has added ...
- Wunderlich Securities Sees Compelling Value For Whiting Petroleum Benzinga - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 9:24 AM EST
In a report published Friday, Wunderlich Securities analyst Jason A. Wangler reiterated a Buy rating and $60.00 price target on Whiting Petroleum Corp. (NYSE: WLL ). In the report, Wunderlich Securities ...
- Natural gas prices decline on bearish inventory data Market Realist - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 9:15 AM EST
April futures contracts for natural gas prices settled at $2.697 per MMBtu (million British thermal units) on Thursday, February 26.
- Oil Takes the S&P for a Ride MrTopStep.com - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 8:40 AM EST
With the S&P going up so much this month and making good of all the negatives, crude oil has has been off the short list lately. After the CME Group’s crude oil futures (CLJ15:NYM) rallied from their $44.37 ...
- Port Hedland’s iron ore exports are on the rise Market Realist - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 8:05 AM EST
Shipments through Port Hedland represented 55% of Australia’s iron ore exports last year, and more than 80% of cargoes go to China.
- Sinopec Is The Best Of China's Big Oil Plays @ Barrons.com - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 12:01 AM EST
It’s time to look at China’s big oil companies now that Brent crude oil prices have bounced off their lows and appear to have stabilized above $50 a barrel. An alphabet-inspired debate on oil prices is taking place among analysts, with some offering the prospect of a V or U-shaped recovery and others suggesting an L-shaped …
- Rio Tinto and Glencore push ahead with cost-cutting @ Financial Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 11:57 PM EST
Rio Tinto and Glencore have both moved to implement new cost-cutting measures, as a slump in commodity prices forces the world's biggest miners to restructure their businesses. Glencore said it would cut ...
- USDA slashes China corn import forecast @ Financial Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 6:55 PM EST
The perils of forecasting the Chinese agricultural market came to the fore earlier this month when the US Department of Agriculture slashed its predictions for Chinese corn imports. Last year, the USDA ...
- Goldcorp in a nugget Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 5:06 PM EST
Goldcorp is based in Canada. The senior producer mainly sells gold on the London spot market. It also produces silver, copper, lead, and zinc.
- Does a lower rig count bode well for coal prices? Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 5:06 PM EST
The natural gas rig count reflects producer sentiment. If producers expect cooler winters, the rig count will likely increase.
- Will WTI crude oil hit $46 per barrel? Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 5:06 PM EST
Crude oil prices are trading close to key trend line support levels of symmetrical pattern. The inventory report on February 25 will fuel crude oil prices.
- Lower Oil Prices Have Been A Boon For The Indian Economy Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 5:05 PM EST
Lower oil prices could lead to a better current account position for the Indian economy.
- EIA forecasts that natural gas consumption will increase in 2015 Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 4:05 PM EST
The EIA forecasted that total natural gas consumption will average 74.3 Bcf/d in 2015 and 75.2 Bcf/d in 2016—compared to an estimated 73.3 Bcf/d in 2014.
- Copper hits highest level since China fund attack @ Financial Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:33 PM EST
Copper has risen to its highest level since Chinese funds attacked the metal six weeks ago. Last month, aggressive selling of futures contracts by the funds, first on the London Metal Exchange and then ...
- Rise in natural gas prices supports coal prices Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:06 PM EST
Rising natural gas prices are good, but a sustained increase over a few weeks is needed before we can expect to see coal prices rise sustainably.
- WTI crude oil declines nearly 9% in last six trading sessions Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:06 PM EST
WTI crude oil settled at $49.28 per barrel after testing the lows of February 23. It was the sixth down day in the last ten trading sessions.
- Lower Commodity Prices Hurt Commodity Exporting-Economies Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:06 PM EST
Lower commodity prices could hurt the growth of certain economies.
- Goldcorp: Gold producer misses estimates, looks forward to 2015 Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 12:13 PM EST
Fiscal 2014 results for Goldcorp were a slight miss. Production is expected to increase by approximately 20% in 2015.
- Increasing natural gas production makes producers cringe Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 12:05 PM EST
The EIA's January STEO (Short-Term Energy Outlook) projects total dry natural gas production to grow by ~3.8% to 72.80 billion cubic feet, or Bcf, in 2015.
- EIA predicts production increase despite capex cut and fewer rigs Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 12:05 PM EST
The EIA believes that as oil prices start rising in the second half of 2015, drilling activity and production will likely increase again.
- Stocks drift as investors gauge economic data @ Los Angeles Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 11:55 AM EST
U.S. financial markets drifted in morning trading Thursday, with energy stocks among the biggest decliners as crude oil prices fell. Investors were weighing new economic data on unemployment benefit claims, ...
- A Bottom for Coal Stocks? @ Barrons.com - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 10:49 AM EST
JPMorgan's John Bridges and team thinks the signs are encouraging for coal--good news for companies like Peabody Energy (BTU), Cloud Peak (CLD), Alliance Resource Partners (ARLP), and (FELP) if it's true. This fits with our belief that the greater financial challenges faced by the coal miners’ arch enemy (namely the oil …
- Vale misses profit forecasts as ore price fall compounds problems @ Financial Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 10:12 AM EST
Plunging iron ore prices, write-offs on fertiliser operations and a disputed project in Guinea combined to force mining group Vale to miss its profit forecasts for the past year. The Brazilian company, ...
- Iridian exits Occidental Petroleum Corp. Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 9:05 AM EST
Occidental Petroleum announced the sale of its interest in the BridgeTex pipeline, generating $1.15 billion in proceeds.
- BHP highlights shale productivity gains @ Financial Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 3:26 AM EST
When BHP Billiton added to its US shale four years ago with the $15bn acquisition of Petrohawk it was quick to draw comparison with the traditional offshore oil and gas business. Unlike deepwater exploration, ...
- Repsol weathers crude price plunge @ Financial Times - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 3:02 AM EST
Repsol, the Spanish energy group, weathered the plunge in international crude prices to report a surge in fourth-quarter profits, boosted by a strong performance from its refining business. Adjusted net ...
- Japan equities continue strong run @ Financial Times - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 11:56 PM EST
Thursday 04.40 GMT. Japan's benchmark stock average hit another 15-year high, while Australian stocks suffered a bout of profit-taking. Global equities have been a tear on signs that sluggish growth and ...
- Why cold weather forecasts support natural gas prices Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 6:05 PM EST
The weather is the major driver of natural gas prices. So, investors can get an idea of how prices will likely move in the short term.
- Why natural gas liquids production keeps rising Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 6:04 PM EST
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the production of hydrocarbon gas liquids at natural gas liquids plants is expected to increase.
- Crude oil down ahead of inventory data Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 5:06 PM EST
The next EIA inventory report is due on February 25, 2015. The market expects an increase of 4 million barrels in the US crude oil inventory.
- The Strengthening US Dollar Has Affected Oil Prices Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 3:05 PM EST
Weak global demand and a strengthening dollar have affected oil prices.
- Tracking thermal coal indicators makes good investment sense Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 2:55 PM EST
Currently, the thermal coal industry is experiencing heightened volatility. As a result, it makes even more sense for us to cover the short-term indicators.
- Natural gas price trends higher on severe winter Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 2:10 PM EST
Natural gas prices for the March contract closed at $2.902 per MMBtu on Tuesday. This is the seventh up day in the last ten trading sessions.
- Natural gas inventories surpassed the 5-year average Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 2:05 PM EST
After a net withdrawal of 111 Bcf last week, natural gas inventories as of February 13 were ~46% higher than the levels last year.
- Natural gas settles lower and trades at key support level Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 1:05 PM EST
The next key support is at $2.71 MMBtu. Natural gas prices have hit this level four times in February 2015.
- Crude Oil Price Slips as Supplies Continue to Surge @ 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 11:10 AM EST
The latest EIA weekly petroleum status report showed the seventh consecutive week of a higher total crude inventories than at any time in at least 80 years.
- EIA’s natural gas inventory report is crucial for energy investors Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 9:07 AM EST
The EIA reports natural gas inventory figures every week. Natural gas is an important fuel worldwide. Its uses span from power generation to plastics.
- Running the S&P 500 Buy Stops and New All-Time Highs MrTopStep.com - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 8:45 AM EST
In the old days, traders in the CME Group’s S&P 500 pit and the NYSE would always cheer new contract highs, but after the credit crisis blew most people’s retirement accounts, fewer people are trading. The big banks and brokerage firms do not want to admit it, but the downturn has not bottomed. Wall Street and LaSalle …
- Natural gas prices fall after hitting 1-month high Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 8:18 AM EST
The recent spike in natural gas prices was led by extended colder weather, fueling consensus on a short-term increase in demand.
- Car sale catalyst fails to drive up platinum @ Financial Times - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 8:02 AM EST
If platinum is a precious metal, someone forgot to tell investors. In spite of rising car sales in Europe the metal, which is used in catalytic converters, has fallen to its lowest level since 2009. Over ...
- Gulf Keystone in talks about a possible sale of the company @ Financial Times - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 7:27 AM EST
Shares in Gulf Keystone Petroleum jumped 70 per cent on Wednesday after the financially-stretched oil explorer with assets in Kurdistan confirmed it was in talks with unnamed parties that could lead to ...