- European stocks rise after German outlook brightens @ Financial Times - 15 minutes ago
Monday 09:15GMT. Europe's equities markets are moving higher, building on a muted start to trade after German confidence data unexpectedly rose. The forward-looking Ifo business confidence indicator for ...
- BHP Billiton to extend capital expenditure cuts @ Financial Times - 4 hours ago
BHP Billiton has outlined further cuts to capital expenditure and a shake-up of its senior management, as the Anglo-Australian miner moves to lower its costs amid weak commodity prices. The world's biggest ...
- OPEC's clout on line as decisive meeting looms @ USA TODAY - 12 hours ago
OPEC could halt world oil prices' slide if its members agree to production cuts Nov. 27.
- Carbon capture to struggle for economic viability @ Financial Times - 16 hours ago
A technology at the heart of efforts to avoid risky global warming will struggle to be economically viable in many places, the company spearheading its use in the power industry has revealed. SaskPower, ...
- Anglo American behind $100m platinum fund @ Financial Times - 17 hours ago
Anglo American is investing $100m in companies that use platinum and associated metals to try to spark more demand for commodities that are crucial to the financial health of the mining group. The plans ...
- Infographic: Meet the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) members @ USA TODAY - 17 hours ago
Meet the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
- EPA Delays Renewable Fuels Decision @ 24/7 Wall St. - 20 hours ago
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Friday announced that it would not issue a final standard for the percentage of renewable fuels use in 2014. The standard was due in November 2013 and ...
- Stand-off threatens to stymie LNG development in Australia @ Financial Times - Sun, Nov 23, 2014 4:28 AM EST
For more than a decade, China's rapacious demand for natural resources boosted Australia's economy. But with the prices of its two biggest exports - iron ore and coal - in free fall and mining investment ...
- F-150 Mileage Ratings Good, Not Great @ 24/7 Wall St. - Sat, Nov 22, 2014 9:15 AM EST
Ford has announced the EPA estimated fuel economy ratings for its 2015 aluminum body F-150 pickup with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine.
- A must-know analysis of EIA’s latest natural gas inventory report Market Realist - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 4:02 PM EST
The US added 2,789 bcf of natural gas to storage in the 2014 injection season. This is significantly higher than the 2,131 bcf injection last year.
- Why crude oil stayed strong despite bearish EIA inventory data Market Realist - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 2:29 PM EST
Analysts were expecting a crude inventory draw of ~1 million barrels, but inventories instead increased by 2.6 MMbbls.
- Why investors should watch natural gas inventories Market Realist - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:01 PM EST
Natural gas consumption in the US is very seasonal. Consumption is highest in the winter when heating demands are at their highest.
- The Fast Lane: The fast show @ Financial Times - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:51 AM EST
I am planning a totally new concept. The Fast Lane Video Diary (FLVD) would see me travelling with a film crew. We will drive a bit more traffic to FT.com but also prove to all the non-believers that: ...
- Crude slide sparks oil-related debt fears @ Financial Times - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 11:21 AM EST
On Energy Road, halfway between the West Texas towns of Midland and Odessa, the nodding oil wells that dot the surrounding fields have been complemented with a gleaming multimillion-dollar performing arts ...
- Why investors should watch crude inventory data Market Realist - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 10:28 AM EST
Crude oil inventory levels change based on demand and supply trends. Demand is primarily from refineries that process this crude into refined products.
- 4 Gold Stocks That Can Easily Survive Lower Gold Prices @ 24/7 Wall St. - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:30 AM EST
Attendees at the RBC's recent gold miners conference had little confidence in a rally in the precious metal's price in the short or medium term.
- Why Walter Energy reduced inventory in 3Q14 Market Realist - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Walter Energy's 3Q14 production was lower than in 3Q13, as the company curtailed production owing to difficult industry conditions.
- Why oil prices could rise on Middle East instability Market Realist - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Oil is currently trading a little low given the current supply situation and inventory levels. Prices aren't high enough to discount potential large events related to a Middle East crisis.
- Brent Makes Moderate Gains Ahead Of OPEC Meeting Benzinga - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:34 AM EST
Brent crude oil made its way higher on Friday after data out on Thursday showed that the U.S. economy was continuing to stabilize. The commodity traded at $79.55 at 6:50 GMT as investors kept an eye on ...
- Asia stocks dulled by weak economic reports Associated Press - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 10:47 PM EST
- Banks defend their commodities activity @ USA TODAY - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:41 PM EST
A Senate report and hearing Thursday is examining banks' ownership of major commodities.
- Winners of China's New Energy Goals @ Barrons.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:19 PM EST
The State Council has announced the PRC Energy Development Strategy Action Plan (2014-20), approved by it on 7 June 2014, on its web site. The key philosophies are to control national energy consumption ...
- Commodity ambitions spread a wide net @ Financial Times - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 5:41 PM EST
Sir, The impact of the commodity trading ambitions of the banks (November 20) goes further than you might think. In 2011 I asked the chief executive of a US liquefied natural gas export project how he ...
- Oil Tankers: Ahoy, China! @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 5:20 PM EST
China stocks up on oil while it's cheap, and tanker companies are profiting
- Why the rising crude tanker orderbook means a positive outlook Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 4:00 PM EST
In order to assess the industry’s future fundamental outlook, managers use the oil tanker orderbook as an important yardstick. It consists of the number of ships that have been ordered and the number of ...
- Why petroleum was driven by US onshore liquid volumes Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 4:00 PM EST
BHP's petroleum and potash business includes conventional and unconventional oil and gas operations. The operations are located in six countries around the world.
- Must-know: A key overview of Walter Energy Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 3:49 PM EST
Walter Energy's US operations include underground and surface mines, coke plants, and natural gas operations.
- Three Aluminum Picks Boosted by Chinese Demand @ Barrons.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 3:33 PM EST
Morgan Stanley Our recent China trip gives us greater confidence in our bullish view on the U.S. aluminum sector as China’s supply growth should slow but demand remains strong. Top picks, all rated at ...
- Serco hurt by cash call concerns @ Financial Times - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 2:24 PM EST
Serco's unusual move to pre-announce a cash call looks to be backfiring. Serco warned last week it intends to launch a fully underwritten £550m equity issue in March, when it completes a strategic review. ...
- Why investors should understand Alcoa’s business model Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 1:37 PM EST
Alcoa is an integrated player in the aluminum value chain. This means its operations extend from bauxite refining to aluminum fabrication.
- Technip's ?1.5bn bid for French energy surveyor CGG rejected @ Financial Times - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Technip, Europe's biggest oil and gas services group by market capitalisation, has made a ?1.47bn cash bid for French seismic surveyor CGG, but the offer was rebuffed on Thursday. The offer comes amid ...
- China releases first formal estimate of strategic oil reserves @ Financial Times - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 12:34 PM EST
China has for the first time offered a formal estimate for a portion of its strategic petroleum reserves, following pledges of greater transparency of its oil stockpile size. Xi Jinping, China's top leader, ...
- October Inflation Zero; Weekly Jobless Claims Unchanged Benzinga - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 11:05 AM EST
Inflation was unchanged in October, while unemployment hit its lowest level since early 2001. Tea leaves from stock-index futures in light of the reports were mixed at around 10 a.m., with the Dow Jones ...
- Finding Low Risk Trades In Volatile Crude Market MrTopStep.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Last week saw crude oil (CLF15:NYM) make a fresh multi-month low as it traded below $74, finding a low at $73.25; this, in turn, resulted in a rally in the crude market which failed just below the $76.50 ...
- Why newbuild tanker prices indicate a relatively slow October Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 8:00 AM EST
A tanker takes almost two or three-plus years to build, and each costs more than ~$60 million. Unlike shipping rates in the spot market, newbuild prices are less volatile and aren’t subject to seasonality....
- Why BHP held a capital markets day Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 8:00 AM EST
BHP Billiton (BHP) held a capital markets day in London on October 27. The presentation mainly focused on BHP's iron ore and petroleum businesses.
- Barrick Gold aims to reduce debt, improve liquidity Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Barrick Gold (ABX) is undertaking various cost-cutting efforts with an aim to reduce its debt burden and improve its liquidity in the current low-commodity price environment.
- Why profits decreased in ArcelorMittal’s mining segment Market Realist - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 8:00 AM EST
MT has a dual approach to pricing iron ore for internal shipments. It prices some shipments based on market prices. The rest of the shipments are priced based on production costs.
- Morgan Stanley: Alacer Gold Corp. Low-Price Producer In Battered Field Benzinga - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:53 AM EST
Alacer Gold Corp. (OTC: ALIAF ) is among the lowest cost producers in a field that's been battered by a long-term drop in prices, an analyst said recently. The company operates a single gold mine in Turkey ...
- OPEC Could Cut Next Week Benzinga - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:46 AM EST
Brent crude oil was steady above $78 on Thursday as markets prepared for a busy day of economic releases. The commodity traded at $78.06 at 7:45 GMT as investors kept their focus on OPEC’s upcoming meeting ...
- VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016 @ USA TODAY - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 6:31 AM EST
Volkswagen says all-wheel-drive SportWagen coming to U.S. in 2016; meantime SportWagen gets standard diesel
- Senate probes banks' commodity activities @ USA TODAY - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 6:19 PM EST
The report spotlights commodity activity by Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Morgan Stanley
- Environmentalists: Brazil's greenhouse gases rise Associated Press - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 5:22 PM EST
- Why last week’s natural gas rig count dampened producers’ hope Market Realist - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Natural gas rig counts have been on a downward trend for about three years. However, the gas-targeted rig count seems to be stabilizing.
- Favor Wanes Ahead of Swiss Gold Vote @ Barrons.com - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Don't hold your breath for voters in Switzerland to reverse slumping gold prices. On Nov. 30, the Swiss will vote on a referendum to decide whether the Swiss National Bank's mandate should be changed to ...
- Energy groups face 'existential' climate threat, says ex-BP chief @ Financial Times - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 3:00 PM EST
Energy and mining companies are ignoring the "existential threat" from climate change and must change the way they operate, the former head of BP warns. The intervention by Lord Browne, one of ...
- Why BHP Billiton is important for investors Market Realist - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 2:01 PM EST
BHP is one of the world's largest major commodity producers. It operates through 100 locations in 25 countries. BHP was created when BHP and Billiton merged in June 2001.
- Continental Grain warns on margins in US chicken business @ Financial Times - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 1:30 PM EST
Plump profit margins in the US chicken business may be about the fly the coop, a top food and agriculture investor warned as he hinted at listing shares in a poultry producer he controls. Chicken farmers ...
- Why the oil rig count reversed despite the fall in crude price Market Realist - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 1:19 PM EST
The oil rig count is slowly responding to falling oil prices in the US. By the end of last week, West Texas Intermediate's (or WTI) oil price fell ~28% from its high in June.
- US crude oil imports dip on surging domestic production Market Realist - Wed, Nov 19, 2014 11:27 AM EST
Falling US imports affect the crude tanker industry in a negative way. Fewer shipments to the country indicate less shipping demand, all else being equal.