- First Person: Tips for Buying Physical Metals Yahoo! Contributor Network - Wed, May 29, 2013 5:30 PM EDT
Not knowing exactly what you're doing when investing hard-earned money can be somewhat intimidating. This means that it can pay off in both peace of mind and good financial decision-making to research investment options before jumping in head-first.
- Rosneft’s bid for Itera is a key step in Russia’s internal rebalancing of power Quartz - Wed, May 29, 2013 10:07 AM EDT
The $3 billion bid by Russian state oil giant Rosneft for the 49% it doesn’t already own of gas producer Itera seems, on the face of it, to be overpriced. A 49% stake in Itera’s natural gas assets is worth ...
- Coffee is at its cheapest in three years (but your latte isn’t) Quartz - Fri, May 24, 2013 5:05 PM EDT
Coffee futures on IntercontinentalExchange, the commodities trading market, for arabica beans (not the cheaper, nastier robusta) traded below $1.30 per pound today for the first time since March 5, 2010. ...
- Europe's Oil Market Gets Its Own Price Benchmarks Scandal @ BusinessWeek - Thu, May 23, 2013 6:59 PM EDT
EU regulators are investigating to determine whether oil companies colluded to manipulate price benchmarks
- First Person: Tricks and Traps of Buying Silver Yahoo! Contributor Network - Thu, May 23, 2013 6:11 PM EDT
Even with silver being a volatile metal at times, I'm still a fan. I'll admit however, there are certainly some potential pitfalls to buying the shiny stuff. In fact, if you're not careful, you can take quite a hit on investing in silver due to simple ignorance regarding its purchase. This is why I make sure that when I'm …
- Reluctant Consumers: Australia's Next Headwind? CNBC - Wed, May 22, 2013 1:27 AM EDT
On top of a slowdown in Australia's lucrative mining sector, consumer sentiment in the country appears to have deteriorated sharply, posing a challenge to the central bank which cut interest rates to a ...
- Since China wants oil from Myanmar, it is compromising with protestors Quartz - Tue, May 21, 2013 3:13 PM EDT
China has big plans for mountainous Yunnan province, in the southwest of the country. They include a building boom, a new road and a petroleum industry centered on oil and chemical refineries. The raw ...
- Petaquilla continues to advance Lomero-Poyatos gold project Zacks Small Cap Research - Mon, May 20, 2013 7:15 AM EDT
By Steven Ralston, CFA Last week, Petaquilla Minerals (Toronto:PTQ: TO) and (OTC BB:PTQMF) announced the latest step in the advancement of the Lomero-Poyatos gold project in Spain, specifically that the ...
- No Love for Precious Metals - Silver Gets Slammed CNBC - Mon, May 20, 2013 1:49 AM EDT
- American LNG exports get the go-ahead Quartz - Fri, May 17, 2013 7:07 PM EDT
Corporate America loves the US’s shale gas boom—but when it comes to exporting the stuff, companies are divided. Fossil-fuel producers like ExxonMobil are all in favor of building liquefied natural gas ...
- Gold falls as Fed comments lift dollar Reuters - Fri, May 17, 2013 7:58 AM EDT
* Dollar lifted by Fed official's comments on QE * Gold prices set to end the week down nearly 5 pct * Palladium, platinum outperform after Platinum Week (Updates prices) By Jan Harvey LONDON, May 17 (Reuters) ...
- First Person: 4 Sites I Use for Metals Investment Information Yahoo! Contributor Network - Thu, May 16, 2013 5:46 PM EDT
I think metals are a great form of investment. They are tangible assets, are often non-sustainable, and can be great hedges against inflation and economic uncertainty. Therefore, I've been making a push lately to learn more about metals and metal investment. In the process, I've come across a few websites that have been …
- BP’s Tony Hayward gets his life back—as chairman of Glencore Xstrata Quartz - Thu, May 16, 2013 8:06 AM EDT
Tony Hayward’s appointment as interim chairman of Glencore Xstrata, the world’s fourth-largest mining company, completes his rehabilitation—the 56-year-old oilman, ousted and humiliated as head of BP three ...
- Colt Resources – Major Accomplishments in 2012 Zacks Small Cap Research - Fri, May 3, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
By Steven Ralston, CFA Earlier this week, Colt Resources (TSXV:GTP.V) filed the financial statements and Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) for the year ending December 31, 2012. These documents ...
- Colt Resources reports fourth quarter and year-end results Zacks Small Cap Research - Thu, May 2, 2013 7:00 AM EDT
By Steven Ralston, CFA This week, Colt Resources (TSXV:GTP.V) reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ending December 31, 2012. For the quarter, the company reported a loss for the ...
- April’s rush leaves Hong Kong jewelry stores bare for Golden Week Quartz - Wed, May 1, 2013 3:43 AM EDT
Golden Week came early this year in Hong Kong. The Labour Day holiday during the week of May 1 has traditionally been one of three national holidays when mainland Chinese tourists flock to the tax-free ...
- One of the US’s greenest banks is also the biggest financier of the coal industry Quartz - Tue, Apr 30, 2013 3:26 PM EDT
While US banks like to trumpet their investments in renewable energy they don’t talk so much about financing environmental pariahs like the coal industry. Bank of America, for instance, has committed to ...
- The Company Bringing Natural Gas to Truckers YCharts - Tue, Apr 30, 2013 9:46 AM EDT
The domestic abundance and competitive pricing of natural gas is pushing the industrial transport industry to consider it as a more cost effective fuel source. In early March BNSF, the railroad wholly ...
- Putin and Abe play ‘Let’s Make a Deal’ on natural gas Quartz - Mon, Apr 29, 2013 6:14 AM EDT
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is in Russia today for a sit-down with his counterpart, Vladimir Putin. Near the top of the agenda: Japan’s insatiable appetite for natural gas, which Russia has in ...
- 3 Reasons Why Gold Won't Fall Through the Floor CNBC - Mon, Apr 29, 2013 4:05 AM EDT
Large swings in the price of gold over the past two weeks have cast major doubts over the fate of the precious metal, however one bank suggests the worst may be over for bullion this year.
- Cheaper Power Bills? You Have NatGas to Thank CNBC - Sat, Apr 27, 2013 4:27 PM EDT
If you've noticed your utility bills falling, it may not be a figment of your imagination. Surging natural gas production in the U.S. has had one benefit already: curbing or even cutting power costs.
- When the US government says your next car will run on biofuel, don’t take it too seriously Quartz - Fri, Apr 26, 2013 2:49 PM EDT
We still may not be driving flying cars in 2040—will we ever?—but it’s likely our rides will powered by natural gas. That’s just one of the predictions in the US government’s yearly exercise in soothsaying ...
- Cheaper Gasoline Prices Are in Your Future CNBC - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 8:34 AM EDT
A surprise drop in gasoline supplies sent oil and gasoline futures higher Wednesday, but the trend for pump prices should continue to be lower for now.
- From Rout to Rush - Gold Stages Quiet Rally CNBC - Thu, Apr 25, 2013 2:32 AM EDT
Gold is clawing its way back up amid signs that demand for the precious metal is soaring a week after a massive sell-off sent prices to their lowest level in more than two years.
- Should I Buy Gold? DailyWorth - Wed, Apr 24, 2013 8:00 PM EDT
For years, and especially in 2008, all that glittered was gold...until now.
- Natural Gas Surges to Fresh 2013 High CNBC - Thu, Apr 18, 2013 12:26 PM EDT
Natural gas futures surged nearly 3 percent on bullish data on supplies to reach an intraday high of $4.335 per million BTUs, the highest price for a front month contract since July 2011.
- The Scary Number for Gold Investors: $1200 CNBC - Mon, Apr 15, 2013 5:19 AM EDT
Many gold producers will struggle to stay afloat if the gold price slumps below $1,200 analysts have told CNBC, potentially putting the gold mining industry at severe risk beyond 2017, according to Goldman ...
- US, China Data Set Negative Tone for Oil Prices CNBC - Mon, Apr 15, 2013 2:46 AM EDT
Easing growth in China and pessimism about the U.S. recovery after a surprise 0.4 percent contraction in retail sales last month are likely to push oil prices lower, according to CNBC's latest survey.
- Analysis: Thrifty truckers wary of pricey natural gas vehicles Reuters - Fri, Mar 22, 2013 4:16 AM EDT
- Can Natural Gas Replace Regular Gasoline? CNBC - Sat, Mar 9, 2013 6:53 PM EST
Natural gas is abundant, clean and far cheaper than diesel fuel. That has the U.S. transportation and auto industries looking for ways to kick their dependence on dirtier fossil fuels.
- Why US Gas Exports Will Shake Up Global Market CNBC - Thu, Mar 7, 2013 10:59 AM EST
Despite objections, the U.S. is heading down the road to export natural gas, and that could ultimately help shake up world energy markets. Selling some of the U.S.'s natural gas bounty abroad would bolster ...
- Venezuela - the Next Risk for Oil Markets CNBC - Tue, Mar 5, 2013 2:04 AM EST
The prospect of snap elections in Venezuela - which may be triggered if President Hugo Chavez steps down due to his worsening health - may create volatility in global oil markets though any upward price ...
- Oil Prices Vulnerable Ahead of US Jobs Report CNBC - Mon, Mar 4, 2013 3:19 AM EST
Benchmark oil prices may be vulnerable to further selling pressure with some predicting U.S. crude futures may drop below $90 a barrel this week though a positive jobs report on Friday may help contain ...
- Brent Crude at $80? It Could Happen by Year-End CNBC - Fri, Feb 15, 2013 2:09 AM EST
The days of lofty oil prices are numbered and the price of Brent Crude oil is set to fall 30 percent to $80 per barrel by the end of the year, according to Robert Levitt, CEO and founder of U.S. wealth ...
- Shell CEO: No Recovery for Natural Gas in 2013 CNBC - Thu, Jan 31, 2013 5:07 AM EST
Shell CEO Peter Voser told CNBC he doesn't expect a major recovery in natural gas prices in the U.S., after the Nymex-traded futures contract rebounded 24 percent from a year ago to $3.23 per million British ...
- Triple-Digits Oil in Sight as Economy Heals CNBC - Tue, Jan 29, 2013 1:26 AM EST
U.S. benchmark crude oil prices are expected to resume their march towards triple digits as stock markets respond to improved economic data in the U.S. and China, according to CNBC's latest oil market ...
- US Crude May Test $100 After Algeria Attack CNBC - Mon, Jan 21, 2013 1:47 AM EST
U.S. crude futures may test $100 a barrel this week - possibly breaching triple digits - after an attack against a gas facility in OPEC member Algeria on Wednesday escalated into an international hostage ...
- Algeria Attack 'Wake-Up' Call for Oil Markets CNBC - Thu, Jan 17, 2013 9:50 AM EST
Global oil markets, under pressure from increased North American production, are facing the return of a familiar upside risk - the threat of supply disruption from North Africa after an attack on an Algerian ...
- Biggest Tax Relief for West? Falling Oil Prices CNBC - Wed, Dec 19, 2012 6:40 AM EST
Oil prices could fall by more than $10 per barrel in 2013, according to a number of analysts, who say the decline could provide a big boost for economic growth in the West.
- Oil Market Going Through 'Violent' Change: IEA CNBC - Wed, Dec 12, 2012 7:01 AM EST
The oil market may appear calm but the International Energy Agency (IEA) has warned that recent data show the market is actually undergoing violent structural changes.
- A Gold Trade on an 11-Year Win Streak CNBC - Mon, Nov 19, 2012 11:58 AM EST
Rich Ilczyszyn, CEO and founder of iiTrader and a "Futures Now" trader, talks turkey about a seasonal gold trade that is on an 11-year win streak.
- Why Stocks May Keep Falling: 'The Sugar High Will End' CNBC - Fri, Nov 9, 2012 9:07 AM EST
"The market has been propped up by these sugar highs," says one pro. "QE half-trillion a year is not sustainable" and "Obama is going to raise revenue and cut entitlements. The ...
- Sandy Helps Push Gasoline Prices Lower CNBC - Tue, Oct 30, 2012 3:52 PM EDT
Gasoline prices are likely to keep falling, after Super Storm Sandy shut down highways and air travel across the East Coast.
- Why Are Gasoline Prices Suddenly Falling? CNBC - Thu, Oct 18, 2012 8:33 AM EDT
A dramatic spiral for gasoline prices in some key battleground states comes just three weeks before the U.S. presidential elections.
- Gasoline Prices Set to Rise Through Election Day CNBC - Fri, Oct 5, 2012 2:49 PM EDT
"It will only take another refinery issue and a bit more of geopolitical noise to have the first U.S. election at a US average gasoline price of $4 a gallon," says one energy analyst.
- Lower Oil Prices Could Be a Surprise in October CNBC - Thu, Sep 20, 2012 12:09 PM EDT
Absent a Mideast crisis, oil prices have likely seen their 2012 highs, and Brent could easily slide to $100 or below before the end of the year.
- Boone Pickens: US Doesn't Need OPEC Oil CNBC - Mon, Sep 10, 2012 4:54 PM EDT
The U.S. has the natural resources to one day stop importing OPEC crude oil, Boone Pickens, founder of BP Capital, told CNBC's "Street Signs" on Monday.
- Four Myths About the Gold Standard CNBC - Tue, Sep 4, 2012 10:51 AM EDT
For the first time since the age of Reagan, the Republican Party is considering the gold standard.
- Trump: 'Greedy' OPEC Could Decide Election CNBC - Tue, Aug 28, 2012 11:05 AM EDT
Real estate developer Donald Trump blames President Obama for the rising price of oil, warning, "this country can never, ever recover" if oil prices continue to go up.
- Can Australia's Economy Survive Mining Scare? CNBC - Thu, Aug 23, 2012 2:54 AM EDT
Australia's Resources and Energy Minister declared the resources boom over on Thursday, pointing to tough times ahead for the country's economy, which has been powered by the mining sector for over a decade ...