- Why Commodity Prices Could Stay Low Market Realist - Thu, Sep 17, 2015 3:36 PM EDT
As the dollar is likely to get stronger, commodity prices could stay subdued, negatively affecting commodity-exporting economies like Brazil.
- Where Commodity Metal Prices Are Headed 24/7 Wall St. - Thu, Sep 17, 2015 1:05 PM EDT
On the EconoMonitor blog, two researchers from the IMF have posted a brief account of the commodity price downturn in both base metals and oil.
- US Electricity Generation Rises in Week Ended September 4 Market Realist - Thu, Sep 17, 2015 12:07 PM EDT
Electricity generation in the US increased to 86.8 million MWh for the week ended September 4, a 4% increase from the previous week’s 83.5 million MWh.
- Higher US Natural Gas Consumption Supports Prices Market Realist - Thu, Sep 17, 2015 10:06 AM EDT
In the week ended September 2, total US natural gas consumption increased 0.9% week-over-week.
- Crude Oil Prices Drop—How Does This Impact Coal? Market Realist - Thu, Sep 17, 2015 9:07 AM EDT
WTI crude oil prices closed at $44.63 per barrel during the week ended September 11, down 3.1% from the closing price of $46.05 during the week ended September 4.
- Natural Gas Rig Count Is Flat despite Falling Natural Gas Prices Market Realist - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 3:05 PM EDT
Last week, Baker Hughes published the active US oil and gas rig count report on September 4, 2015. The natural gas rig count didn't change.
- Has Crude Oil Finally Made A Long-Term Bottom? Benzinga - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 1:42 PM EDT
Joel Elconin is the co-host of Benzinga's #PreMarket Prep , a daily trading idea radio show. October Crude Oil futures were trading sharply higher by $2.16 at $46.76 in Wednesday's session. Off the initial ...
- Another Bidder in the Picture for Patriot Coal Assets 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 1:25 PM EDT
The twice-delayed auction for the assets of bankrupt Patriot Coal has attracted another potential bidder, according to the company’s attorney,
- Natural Gas Inventory Report Brings Some Good News for Coal Market Realist - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 12:52 PM EDT
The EIA's natural gas inventory report for the week ended September 4 shows an inventory of 3,261 billion cubic feet compared to 3,193 Bcf a week earlier.
- What’s the Impact of Global Factors on Crude Oil Prices? Market Realist - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 11:24 AM EDT
Crude oil prices have fallen almost 50% since last year due to an imbalance in the market. Apathetic economic growth in China and Europe is restraining the global appetite for crude oil, which is in abundant ...
- Crude Oil Production Outpaces Consumption Growth Market Realist - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 11:24 AM EDT
In its August STEO report, the EIA forecast that falling crude oil production in the United States in response to lower oil prices will help moderate oil inventory builds in the coming months.
- Who Wins If America's Oil Export Ban Is Squashed? Benzinga - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 9:23 AM EDT
House Republicans plan on voting in the next couple of weeks on a bill that would lift the ban on U.S. oil exports. It’s unclear if the bill will gain enough support from congressional Democrats to pass. ...
- Crude Oil Prices Are Trading in a Downward Trending Range Market Realist - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 8:01 AM EDT
October WTI crude oil futures rose for the first time after falling for two consecutive days. Slowing US crude oil production is driving crude oil prices.
- Will the API and EIA Data Support Crude Oil Prices? Market Realist - Wed, Sep 16, 2015 8:00 AM EDT
The API (American Petroleum Institute) published its weekly crude oil, gasoline, and distillates stocks report on September 15, 2015.
- Natural Gas Inventory Will Be above the 5-Year Average Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 4:49 PM EDT
The EIA expects that the natural gas inventory could hit 3,840 Bcf by the end of October 2015. It's 43 Bcf more than the five-year average.
- Warmer Weather Estimates Benefit Natural Gas Prices Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 4:49 PM EDT
October natural gas futures contracts trading in NYMEX rose by 2.41% on September 14. The rising demand due to warm weather estimates supported natural gas prices.
- How the Weakness in WTI Crude Oil Spread to Oil Rig Counts Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 4:48 PM EDT
On September 11, Baker Hughes disclosed the US rig count at noon. WTI (West Texas Intermediate) crude oil increased 0.20% to ~$45.03 following the disclosure.
- Crude Oil, Natural Gas Rig Counts Down in Week Ended September 11 Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 4:46 PM EDT
In the week ended September 11, 2015, the US rig count decreased by ten crude oil rigs, while the natural gas rig count decreased by six.
- US Natural Gas Rig Count and Natural Gas Prices Diverge Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 4:20 PM EDT
On September 11, Baker Hughes published its weekly gas and oil rig count report. The US natural gas rig count fell by six for the week ending September 11.
- Natural Gas Prices Are Almost Flat Due to Warm Weather Estimates Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 4:20 PM EDT
Natural gas futures contracts for October delivery rose by 0.37% on September 11. Natural gas prices rose for the second day due to the warm weather forecast.
- US Propane Inventories and Prices Rise in Week Ended September 4 Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 1:35 PM EDT
In the week ended September 4, US propane inventories rose 0.2 MMbbls to 96.6 MMbbls. These levels are 20.5 MMbbls greater, or 27% higher, than they were in the corresponding period last year.
- Natural Gas Rises Last Week: UNG Up, but XOP Stays Flat Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 1:34 PM EDT
The United States Natural Gas ETF (UNG) tracks prompt natural gas futures. UNG shares rose 0.88% between September 4 and September 10.
- EIA Report Supports Natural Gas Prices Last Week Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 1:34 PM EDT
Natural gas prices rose 1.05% from Friday, September 4, to Thursday, September 10. Prices closed at $2.683 per MMBtu on September 10, up from $2.655 per MMBtu on September 4.
- US Natural Gas Inventories Up Less Than Expected, Prices Rise Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 1:34 PM EDT
On September 10, the EIA published its Natural Gas Weekly Update for the week ended September 4. US natural gas inventories in storage increased 68 Bcf, causing inventories to rise to 3,261 Bcf.
- UPDATE: Oil Export Ban to Get A Vote This Week @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 12:35 PM EDT
The majority leader of the U.S. House of Representatives is expected to announce in a speech Tuesday in Houston that the full House will vote on legislation lifting the 40-year old ban on exports of U.S. ...
- After Optimistic Employment Data, Bullions Take Downward Turn Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 11:28 AM EDT
Generally, there is an inverse relationship between employment data and gold bullion prices. As a result, the positive outlook for employment data has had a negative impact on gold and other precious metals....
- Will Ethanol Prices Recover in September? @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 11:15 AM EDT
The U.S. Department of Agriculture indicated that the corn crop for this year faces some hurdles, and that has pushed up the spot price for a gallon of ethanol.
- Key for Investors: Understanding the Consequences a Rate Hike Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 9:44 AM EDT
A higher rate likely signifies a stronger economy backed by a stronger US dollar. As a result, the higher rates and a strong US dollar will make gold lose its sheen.
- Crude Oil Prices Fall Due to Weak Demand Cues Market Realist - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 8:52 AM EDT
NYMEX-traded WTI crude oil futures contracts for October delivery fell by 1.41% on September 14. The speculation of slowing demand put pressure on crude oil prices.
- Traders Shy Away From Metals In Commodities Slump Benzinga - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 7:28 AM EDT
With China facing an economic slowdown and many questioning whether or not the nation's government data presents a reliable picture of just how bad the situation is, metal prices have fallen to multi-year ...
- BHP’s Focus: From Capital-Intensive to Productivity-Driven Growth Market Realist - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 8:07 PM EDT
BHP Billiton generated a free cash flow (or FCF) of $6.3 billion in fiscal 2015. A productivity gain of $4.1 billion was one of the main drivers behind FCF generation.
- WTI and Brent Crude Oil Prices Fell Last Week Market Realist - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 2:58 PM EDT
Crude oil prices affect energy MLPs differently. While upstream companies are affected directly by fluctuations in crude oil prices, the impact on midstream MLPs is more indirect.
- Crude Oil Inventories Were Up in the Week Ended September 4 Market Realist - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 2:57 PM EDT
US crude oil inventories rose 0.6% in the week ended September 4 compared to the previous week.
- Yahoo shares slump after executive exit @ USA TODAY - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 12:49 PM EDT
The news dropped at a critical point for Mayer, who has yet to reignite growth of Yahoo's advertising business and was recently dealt a setback by the Internal Revenue Service in her quest to spin off ...
- Is Kinder Morgan Undervalued? @ 24/7 Wall St. - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 11:15 AM EDT
Kinder Morgan is performing about where the company projected it to be, and it’s not really that much worse than a year ago, even though commodity prices are way down.
- OPEC Forecasts Lower US Production 24/7 Wall St. - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 10:20 AM EDT
OPEC released its September Oil Market Report Monday morning, and the cartel raised its forecast of 2015 global demand growth to nearly 1.5 million barrels a day.
- Will Crude Oil Prices Hit $20 per Barrel? Market Realist - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 7:54 AM EDT
The pessimistic sentiments of oversupply concerns could drag crude oil prices lower. The next support is seen at $38 per barrel. Prices hit this mark in August 2015.
- Will US Crude Oil Production Fall For the Sixth Straight Week? Market Realist - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 7:54 AM EDT
US crude oil production fell for the fifth consecutive week for the week ending September 4, 2015. It fell by 83,000 bpd for the week ending September 4, 2015.
- 10 States Burning the Most Coal @ 24/7 Wall St. - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 6:07 AM EDT
President Barack Obama released in August the final version of his climate policy and energy use program, the Clean Power Plan. The plan, if it passes, will allow the EPA to set carbon emissions targets ...
- What If the Fed Votes in Favor of Delaying the Liftoff? Market Realist - Sun, Sep 13, 2015 10:28 PM EDT
Bloomberg suggests that the Fed will likely delay moving rates from September to later this year. The expectations for a rate hike fell sharply in August.
- Arch Coal Runs out of Steam as September Starts Market Realist - Sat, Sep 12, 2015 8:07 PM EDT
Arch Coal (ACI), which had seen a rally since mid-August on positive sentiments due to a debt exchange deal, plunged 34.1% as J.P. Morgan published a bearish outlook on coal prices.
- The Lesser-Known Way To Play Metal 3D Printing Benzinga - Sat, Sep 12, 2015 1:35 PM EDT
Shares of Materialise NV (ADR) (NASDAQ: MTLS ) have lost more than 30 percent from a year ago. Weston Twigg of Pacific Crest maintained an Overweight rating and $11 price target on Materialise. Materialise ...
- Gas prices could stay low for a while @ USA TODAY - Sat, Sep 12, 2015 10:32 AM EDT
The rapid rise in consumption is obviously linked to low prices at the pump.
- Oil could plunge to $20 in doomsday scenario, Goldman says @ USA TODAY - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 3:41 PM EDT
Report jolts the energy markets as investors deal with depth of price decline.
- Bartiromo: Analyst paints bleak global economic picture @ USA TODAY - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 3:39 PM EDT
Bartiromo: Analyst paints dreadful global economic picture ahead of Fed meeting.
- Coal Leads Natural Gas in Market Share Gains—Barely Market Realist - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 2:42 PM EDT
Coal and natural gas gained market share during June 2015. Coal continued to be the most widely used fuel for electricity—but only by a narrow margin.
- US Natural Gas Production Still Higher in 2015 than in 2014 Market Realist - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 2:40 PM EDT
Year-over-year natural gas production in the US is steadily rising, which pressures natural gas prices. Subdued natural gas prices are negative for coal.
- What’s Happening with US Refinery Inputs? Market Realist - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 12:24 PM EDT
The EIA (U.S. Energy Information Administration) reported that US crude oil refinery inputs averaged 16.11 MMbpd (million barrels per day) during the week ending September 4.
- What Supported WTI Crude Oil despite Bearish Inventories? Market Realist - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 12:23 PM EDT
Lower production, meaning lower supply, should be bullish for WTI (West Texas Intermediate) crude oil prices.
- US Crude Oil Inventories Up, but So Were WTI Crude Oil Prices Market Realist - Fri, Sep 11, 2015 12:23 PM EDT
The EIA reported a rise of 2.6 MMbbls (million barrels) in crude oil inventories for the week ending September 4.