- Asia Stocks Resume Risk-On Mode @ CNBC - 33 minutes ago
Confidence returned to Asian stock markets on Wednesday as fears eased over prospects of the Federal Reserve paring down its stimulus program and as investors await the Bank of Japan's (BOJ) monetary policy ...
- Can Bernanke Rein in Those Dollar Bulls? @ CNBC - 1 hour 1 minute ago
The U.S. dollar has been on a roll since talk of the Federal Reserve unwinding its aggressive monetary stimulus program gathered pace about a fortnight ago. Now, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke could give the ...
- [$$] Austerity and Stimulus—Two Misfires @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
Austerity and Stimulus—Two Misfires
- [$$] Italy Considers Job 'Handoffs' to Young @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
Italy Considers Job 'Handoffs' to Young
- [$$] Italy Looks at Job Shares for Young @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
Italy Looks at Job Shares for Young
- [$$] Ireland: No Favors Offered To Firms @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 7 minutes ago
Ireland: No Favors Offered To Firms
- Japan's central bank says economy picking up AP - 1 hour 27 minutes ago
Japan's central bank says the world's third-biggest economy is "picking up" as demand recovers in other countries and remains resilient at home. The Bank of Japan ended a policy meeting on Wednesday ...
- Bank of Japan’s May 22 Statement on Monetary Policy: Full Text @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
The following is a reformatted version of the full text of the statement released today by the Bank of Japan in Tokyo.
- BOJ keeps policy on hold; Kiuchi proposes looser price target timeframe @ Reuters - 1 hour 45 minutes ago
TOKYO, May 22 (Reuters) - The Bank of Japan on Wednesday decided to keep monetary policy on hold, but one board member tried unsuccessfully to loosen the central bank's commitment to achieving its 2 percent ...
- The UK government collides with the changing global consensus on austerity Quartz - 2 hours 3 minutes ago
The international austerity soap opera rolls on in the United Kingdom today (May 22), where the International Monetary Fund will critique (paywall) the government’s economic plans as growth-hindering. ...
- BOJ Affirms Easing Plan After Biggest Jump in Yields in 5 Years @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 4 minutes ago
The Bank of Japan affirmed a plan to double the monetary base over two years after a jump in bond yields highlighted risks associated with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s campaign to revive the economy.
- Bank of Japan Keeps Monetary Policy Unchanged @ CNBC - 2 hours 6 minutes ago
The Bank of Japan left its monetary policy unchanged on Wednesday, in line with market expectations, and/but xxxxx
- French Tax Soars Over 100% @ Forbes - 2 hours 24 minutes ago
Flag of France (Photo credit: Wikipedia) Over 8,000 French households paid taxes topping 100% of their incomes, according to French Finance Ministry data. Taxes on Some Wealthy French Top 100% of Income. You may scratch your head in disbelief. How is that possible? Stateside, you might guess it was the alternative minimum …
- Gold Rallied for Years on 'Misunderstanding' @ CNBC - 2 hours 55 minutes ago
According to this expert the rally in gold seen over several years was based on a misunderstanding, which is only now getting cleared.
- China's May lending seen to reach 900 bln yuan-paper @ Reuters - 4 hours ago
SHANGHAI, May 22 (Reuters) - China's four major banks issued new loans of 233 billion yuan ($37.98 billion) by May 21st, 21st Century Business Herald reported on Wednesday, citing industry sources, adding ...
- Japan exports disappoint, full benefits of weak yen yet to show Reuters - 4 hours ago
- [$$] Ireland: No Tax Favors For Firms @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Ireland: No Tax Favors For Firms
- Japan's trade deficit hits $8.6B due to weaker yen AP - 4 hours ago
Japan's trade deficit widened to a larger-than-expected 879.9 billion yen ($8.6 billion) in April as its weakening currency accentuated surging import costs. Exports rose 3.8 percent from the same month ...
- U.S. House panel approves spending cuts, assumes more to come @ Reuters - 4 hours ago
* $967 billion spending cap approved, lowest in a decade * Republicans shifting limited funds toward defense, security By David Lawder WASHINGTON, May 21 (Reuters) - The Appropriations Committee of the ...
- 2 Holes in the Goldbug Thesis @ Motley Fool - 4 hours ago
Gold and silver prices are down 25% and 30% year-to-date, respectively. What's going wrong?
- Japan's trade deficit hits $8.6 billion in April AP - 4 hours ago
Japan reports its trade deficit widened to a larger-than-expected 879.9 billion yen ($8.6 billion) in April as its weakening currency accentuated surging import costs. The preliminary figures reported ...
- Japan Exports Miss Estimates Even After Yen Slides to 4-Year Low @ Bloomberg - 4 hours ago
Japan’s exports missed estimates in April and the trade deficit swelled, highlighting weakness in global demand that may weigh on efforts to revive the world’s third-biggest economy.
- Ireland rejects blame for Apple's low tax rate Reuters - 4 hours ago
- Avoid These 3 Eurozone ETFs This Summer Zacks - 5 hours ago
Weak growth suggests that these three European ETFs might be ones to avoid over the next few months.
- Does France have right plan to revive its economy? AP - 5 hours ago
- A Keynesian Victory, but Austerity Stands Firm @ New York Times - 6 hours ago
Fiscal stimulus appears to have won the intellectual argument among economists, but governments and voters still favor austerity.
- Spain's former PM Aznar suggests may challenge Rajoy @ Reuters - 7 hours ago
MADRID, May 21 (Reuters) - Spain's former Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar suggested on Tuesday he may seek to make a political comeback by mounting a challenge to his party mate and political heir Prime ...
- EU Seeks Energy Integration as U.S. Shale Gas Widens Price Gap @ Bloomberg - 7 hours ago
European Union leaders are set to urge faster integration of the bloc’s power and natural-gas markets to lower energy prices as the U.S. shale-gas revolution widens the EU’s cost gap with its largest trading ...
- Senate votes to make small cut to food stamps AP - 7 hours ago
The Senate voted Tuesday to keep a $400 million annual cut — or roughly a half of 1 percent — to the food stamp program as part of a major five-year farm bill. Food stamps now cost almost $80 billion annually ...
- Massachusetts to sell $1.1 bln new and refunding GOs @ Reuters - 7 hours ago
May 21 (Reuters) - Massachusetts will sell $1.1 billion of new and refunding general obligation bonds on June 4, according to the state's website. On Tuesday, Moody's Investors Service assigned an Aa1 ...
- Economic Expectations Continue To Clash With Reality @ Seeking Alpha - 7 hours ago
Economic Expectations Continue To Clash With Reality
- COLUMN - What Hollande can learn from Queen of Hearts @ Reuters - 7 hours ago
By Gary Regenstreif NEW YORK, May 21 (Reuters) - French President Francois Hollande's predicament is, oddly enough, akin to one Alice faced in Lewis Carroll's 19th century classic. A year after taking ...
- Business Highlights AP - 7 hours ago
___ JPMorgan's Dimon survives shareholder referendum Jamie Dimon, the CEO and chairman of JPMorgan Chase, easily survived a vote Tuesday that would have called on him to give up his role as chairman of ...
- Apple CEO makes no apology for company's tax strategy Reuters - 7 hours ago
- Rising Asset Prices Sharpen U.S. Policy Challenge @ Seeking Alpha - 8 hours ago
Rising Asset Prices Sharpen U.S. Policy Challenge
- New Egypt tax law: cuts for poor, business hikes AP - 8 hours ago
- Apple Tax Mess: Ireland Says It’s No Holy Grail @ Wall St. Cheat Sheet - 8 hours ago
Ireland is refusing to take blame for tax laws the government says are completely transparent, following a Senate hearing in which Apple was accused of keeping cash in subsidiaries located in Ireland to ...
- The Ménage À Trois Keeping This Market Alive @ Forbes - 8 hours ago
This Central Bank fueled rally can't go on for much longer, can it?
- REUTERS SUMMIT-Brazil offers better terms for infrastructure investors @ Reuters - 8 hours ago
(For other news from Reuters Latin America Investment Summit, click here ) * Infrastructure tsar says railways, bullet train to get better deal * $39 billion a year investment needed to end infrastructure ...
- Forecast sees New England economy growing modestly AP - 9 hours ago
Modest economic growth is expected in New England over the next three years with the region as a whole returning to pre-recession employment levels by 2015. That's according to a new economic forecast ...
- [$$] How to Cut a Job in Italy? Wait, and Wait Some More @ The Wall Street Journal - 9 hours ago
How to Cut a Job in Italy? Wait, and Wait Some More
- [$$] N.J. Panel Advances Open-Space Bill @ The Wall Street Journal - 9 hours ago
N.J. Panel Advances Open-Space Bill
- Why IRS scandal is good for tax cheats @ MarketWatch - 9 hours ago
The last time the IRS was under this much scrutiny, audits fell by 50%.
- Eni, 7 other companies call for revived EU energy policy @ Reuters - 9 hours ago
MILAN, May 21 (Reuters) - Italy's oil major Eni and seven other leading European energy companies issued a joint statement on Tuesday to ask European Union leaders to revive a common energy policy in order ...
- Since China wants oil from Myanmar, it is compromising with protestors Quartz - 10 hours ago
China has big plans for mountainous Yunnan province, in the southwest of the country. They include a building boom, a new road and a petroleum industry centered on oil and chemical refineries. The raw ...
- [video] In Baltimore, Obama Makes Pitch to Middle Class @ MarketWatch - 10 hours ago
Barack Obama visited a Baltimore factory to send a message about the need for middle class job creation.
- Scotland says better off without Britain, but with the pound @ Reuters - 11 hours ago
* Scottish nationalists say split would boost growth * British pound and EU membership key to economic success By William James LONDON, May 21 (Reuters) - Ending Britain's 306-year rule would allow Scotland ...
- Conn. considers raising tax on digital products AP - 11 hours ago
Connecticut residents may soon have to pay more to download an app, e-book or iTunes song. Some Democratic state lawmakers are proposing to raise the 1 percent tax on such products to match the state's ...
- NJ budget analyst revises revenue forecast AP - 11 hours ago
The New Jersey Legislature's budget analyst now says Gov. Chris Christie's revenue estimates are off by about $700 million. David Rosen revised his revenue forecast for the next 13 months based on a Treasury ...
- Wyo. jobless rate falls to 4.8 percent in April AP - 11 hours ago
Wyoming's unemployment rate fell slightly in April to 4.8 percent. The jobless rate was 4.9 percent in March. The Wyoming Department of Workforce Services says the state's unemployment rate remained significantly ...