- China April housing inflation quickens to two year high Reuters - 59 minutes ago
By Xiaoyi Shao and Michael Martina BEIJING (Reuters) - China's housing inflation accelerated to its fastest pace in April in two years, driven by a jump in prices in Beijing and Shanghai, complicating ...
- Glance: Europe's Key Institutions AP - 2 hours 19 minutes ago
Following the chaotic bailout of Cyprus, top European Union officials are saying it's time to rethink how the region manages its crisis — and who should be involved. Here is a look at the key institutions ...
- Top officials call to overhaul euro institutions AP - 2 hours 21 minutes ago
- [$$] Gold's Selloff Deepens as U.S. Picture Improves @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Gold's Selloff Deepens as U.S. Picture Improves
- [$$] Abe Seeks to Get Japanese Businesses to Spend @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Abe Seeks to Get Japanese Businesses to Spend
- [$$] Italy Takes First Steps in Reviving Economy @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Italy Takes First Steps in Reviving Economy
- [$$] Turkey Must Balance Success With Excess @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Turkey Must Balance Success With Excess
- [$$] The Low-Price Boost for Stocks @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The Low-Price Boost for Stocks
- [$$] Argentina Peso Rises; Intervention Is Cited @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Argentina Peso Rises; Intervention Is Cited
- [$$] Rising Wages Pose Dilemma for China @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Rising Wages Pose Dilemma for China
- [$$] No Debt-Limit Showdown Before Labor Day @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
No Debt-Limit Showdown Before Labor Day
- Government launches investigation into two Serco, G4S contracts Reuters - 8 hours ago
LONDON (Reuters) - The government said on Friday it had hired a team of auditors to investigate whether it was overcharged on two contracts with outsourcing firms Serco and G4S. The Ministry of Justice ...
- Indicators Offer Signs of Growth for Future @ New York Times - 9 hours ago
The Conference Board said that its index of leading indicators increased 0.6 percent last month after declining 0.2 percent in March.
- [video] Is the Deficit Being Cut Too Fast? @ CNBC - 9 hours ago
Arthur Laffer, chairman, Laffer Associates, discusses the falling deficit and why some people are saying the deficit is being cut too fast.
- Hedge funds back to selling gold after propping market a month ago Reuters - 9 hours ago
By Barani Krishnan NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hedge funds and other big speculators in commodities have started selling gold in a big way, trade data showed on Friday, just a month after they had supported the ...
- Hedge funds selling gold after propping market a month ago Reuters - 10 hours ago
- The Fed, QE, The Economy, And Goldilocks 2.0 @ Seeking Alpha - 10 hours ago
The Fed, QE, The Economy, And Goldilocks 2.0
- Falling yen to make Japan's goods more affordable AP - 10 hours ago
- Unemployment rates drop in most states, Illinois climbs Reuters - 11 hours ago
- Business Highlights AP - 11 hours ago
___ A year after IPO, Facebook aims to be ad colossus It was supposed to be our IPO, the people's public offering. Facebook, the brainchild of a young CEO who sauntered into Wall Street meetings in a hoodie, ...
- Analyst pegs revenue $3.2B higher than Gov. Brown AP - 11 hours ago
The state's independent budget analyst said Friday that California will take in $3.2 billion more in tax revenue than Gov. Jerry Brown estimated, providing Democratic lawmakers an argument to funnel more ...
- Obama budget cuts deficit $1.1 trillion over decade - CBO Reuters - 11 hours ago
- The biggest mistake 60-year-old men make about the economy Quartz - 11 hours ago
I checked, and re-checked, and triple-checked, and I can confirm that it’s not 1979 anymore. Now, that shouldn’t be too surprising—I’m not writing this on an Apple II, after all—but it is to a generation ...
- Obama Exaggerated Spending And Deficit Cuts In His Budget Investor's Business Daily - 11 hours ago
All Business Briefs
- CBO: Obama budget cuts deficits $1.1T by 2023 AP - 11 hours ago
President Barack Obama's budget would trim projected federal deficits by $1.1 trillion over the coming decade, using nearly $6 in higher revenues for every $1 in reduced spending to achieve it, Congress' ...
- Budget Office Says Obama Plan Would Cut Deficit by $1 Trillion @ New York Times - 11 hours ago
The plan includes limiting the deductions and exclusions high-income families can claim, increasing taxes on tobacco products and adopting a new minimum tax on income over $1 million.
- California budget watchdog says governor's outlook too dim @ Reuters - 11 hours ago
By Jim Christie SAN FRANCISCO, May 17 (Reuters) - California's budget watchdog criticized Governor Jerry Brown's outlook for the state's revenues as "too pessimistic" in a report on Friday, saying ...
- Puerto Rico to cut govt bank loan portfolio to bolster finances @ Reuters - 12 hours ago
SAN JUAN, May 17 (Reuters) - Puerto Rico plans to cut by as much as a third the $9.1 billion loan portfolio at its Government Development Bank as a way to bolster finances of the key lender to local governments ...
- Audit questions use of Michigan petroleum tax AP - 12 hours ago
Millions of dollars from a petroleum tax have been diverted to plug holes in the state budget and pay interest on debt, Michigan's auditor general said Friday. Money in the refined petroleum fund is supposed ...
- The great debt ceiling countdown begins anew at midnight Quartz - 13 hours ago
Mark your calendars: After tomorrow (May 18), the US Treasury can’t borrow any more money to fund already-authorized spending until Congress increases the debt limit. And you may remember that when the ...
- A Recovery For The Rest Of Us @ Seeking Alpha - 13 hours ago
A Recovery For The Rest Of Us
- Kansas unemployment rate drops slightly in April AP - 13 hours ago
A new report says the Kansas unemployment rate dipped to 5.5 percent last month while the number of people filing initial claims for jobless benefits also fell. But Friday's full report from the Department ...
- Obama budget would cut deficit by $1.1 trillion over decade: CBO Reuters - 13 hours ago
- What to Pair Against the Weak Australian Dollar @ CNBC - 13 hours ago
The Australian currency has been falling sharply and selling the Aussie dollar for the appreciating Mexican peso is becoming an increasingly popular trade, said an analyst.
- TREASURIES-Prices fall on improved consumer sentiment @ Reuters - 13 hours ago
* Early May U.S. consumer sentiment highest in almost six years * April leading indicators point to growth * Treasuries could stay range bound in coming sessions By Ellen Freilich NEW YORK, May 17 (Reuters) ...
- California governor 'too pessimistic' on state's revenue-report @ Reuters - 14 hours ago
SAN FRANCISCO, May 17 (Reuters) - California Governor Jerry Brown's cautious view of the economy and the state's revenue in the revised state budget plan he unveiled earlier this week seems "too pessimistic," ...
- Pa. unemployment rate drops slightly in April AP - 14 hours ago
Pennsylvania's unemployment rate declined slightly last month, but remains above the national rate. The state Department of Labor & Industry said Friday the April rate of 7.6 percent compared to 7.9 percent ...
- Lew tells Congress of steps to avoid debt default AP - 14 hours ago
Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew told Congress on Friday that the administration will begin taking steps next week to avoid a default on the nation's debt until Congress votes to raise the government's borrowing ...
- RI unemployment rate now 6th highest in US AP - 14 hours ago
Rhode Island's 8.8 percent unemployment rate is the sixth-highest in the country. The U.S. Department of Labor released jobless rates for all 50 states on Friday, and Rhode Island's was number six. Nevada ...
- Obama budget would cut US deficit by $1.1 trillion over decade-CBO @ Reuters - 14 hours ago
WASHINGTON, May 17 (Reuters) - Near-term U.S. deficits under President Barack Obama's 2014 budget plan would be higher than those forecast by the Congressional Budget Office this week but would be $1.1 ...
- This Is the Biggest Mistake 60-Year Old Men Make About the Economy The Atlantic - 14 hours ago
(Reuters) I checked, and re-checked, and triple-checked, and I can confirm that it's not 1979 anymore. Now, that shouldn't be too surprising -- I'm not writing this on an Apple II, after all -- but it ...
- The Last Of The 2008 Doomsday Scenarios Is Fading Away! @ Forbes - 14 hours ago
The gloom and doom theorists swarmed out of the woodwork during the 2008 financial meltdown in reaction to government actions taken to prevent the ‘great recession’ from morphing into the next great depression. The blame fell on both political parties. The Bush administration began the bailout efforts in March, 2008 and …
- Obama: 'Our focus cannot drift' from jobs, economy AP - 14 hours ago
- Forget Earnings. Washington Dysfunction May Be Behind Dow's Rise US News - 14 hours ago
Gridlock has ruled in Washington for much of the past few years, and stock markets have posted big gains. Coincidence? Neither the threat of a fiscal cliff nor sequestration cuts has halted the seemingly ...
- Dell Survey: Red Tape Hurting SMBs @ Fox Business - 15 hours ago
In an effort to take a pulse of U.S. small businesses and entrepreneurs at the local level, over the last year Dell conducted a nine-city small business Think Tank tour. Here are the findings.
- Turkey’s economy comes of age with a prized investment-grade rating Quartz - 15 hours ago
Moody’s Ratings agency upgraded Turkey’s long-term credit rating to Baa3 for the first time today, giving the country an investment-grade rating at two out of the three major credit ratings agencies. In ...
- California unemployment rate drops to 9 percent AP - 15 hours ago
California's unemployment rate has fallen to its lowest level in 4 1/2 years as the state experienced one of the sharpest drops in joblessness nationwide, the state Employment Development Department reported ...
- Iowa jobless rate drops to 4.7 percent in April AP - 15 hours ago
Iowa Workforce Development says the state's unemployment rate dropped to 4.7 percent in April, the lowest rate since December 2008. The department reported Friday that the figure is two-tenths of a point ...
- Embattled Scott trumpets drop in Fla. jobless rate AP - 15 hours ago
Florida Gov. Rick Scott — who has made his handling of the state's economy the main thrust of his re-election campaign — got more to boast about on Friday. The state's unemployment rate dropped to 7.2 ...
- Italian Cabinet passes first economic measures AP - 15 hours ago
Italy's new cross-party government has adopted its first measures to help the economy. They include suspending a tax on primary residences and allocating funds to extend a short-term layoff scheme. The ...