- Small Caps Plunge; Russell 2000 falls 1.7% @ Barrons.com - 4 hours ago
Blue Chips and big-cap stock indices aren't the only ones getting their heads handed to them today. Small cap stocks are getting trounced. In fact, the benchmark Russell 2000 index has fallen 20 points, ...
- Robo-Buffett Funds on the Cheap @ Morningstar - Wed, Jul 30, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
State Street's newly launched MSCI Quality Mix exchange-traded funds offer good value.
- Must-know facts about the silver rally Market Realist - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 6:35 PM EDT
While the metal has had a respectable run over the past month, silver is still playing catch-up after losses earlier this year.
- Should you jump on the silver bandwagon? Market Realist - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 2:34 PM EDT
After rising nearly 12% from its June lows, silver has been garnering some attention lately, leaving many investors wondering whether they should raise their allocations to the precious metal.
- [$$] When Passive Beats Active @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jul 26, 2014 2:24 AM EDT
The investor who took this column's advice in January of opting for the simplest passive ETFs instead of the stockpicker is ahead of most fund managers for 2014, despite paying a fraction of the cost. "With so little variation, it's just plain difficult to make good picks," Leeson says.
- The 4 Stocks That Tanked the Market 24/7 Wall St. - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
July 25, 2014: Markets opened lower on Friday as the markets come to grips with some weak earnings forecast for the current quarter. Only the basic materials sector managed to avoid a downturn. The report ...
- The 4 Stocks That Lifted the Market @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Jul 22, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
July 22, 2014: Markets opened higher on Tuesday as geopolitical tensions appeared to have lessened somewhat and earnings reports were on the strong side. The consumer price index report showed that inflation ...
- Selloff Protection Has its Own Tradeoffs @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jul 21, 2014 8:50 AM EDT
This week's Barron's ETF Focus reviews a few different exchange-traded fund strategies built to weather a selloff, or even profit from one. It often does better than that in a selloff.
- Despite Selloff - Gold is Holding Support ... for Now iSPYETF - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 1:11 PM EDT
Various media outlets listed many 'convincing' reasons to buy gold (a few examples of recent media blunders are listed in the article), but the gold market did exactly the opposite.
- Smart Money is Leaving Gold Just as the 'Herd' is Jumping in iSPYETF - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 11:54 PM EDT
From June 2 to July 10 gold prices surged 8.7%. Commercial traders were the first to get in on this rally and the first to get out. While commercials pulled out, the 'herd' (or dumb money) piled in. Could ...
- The 12% Yield That Isn't: Deutsche's Brazil Fund @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 2:18 PM EDT
Since DBBR is technically "short" the real through its forward contracts, this all amounted to some hefty gains in those contracts, most of which were distributed. The unhedged iShares MSCI Brazil Capped ETF (EWZ) yields a little more than 3%, according to Morningstar.
- Must-know: The last cheap asset class Market Realist - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 12:49 PM EDT
Last week, U.S. equity market volatility, as measured by the VIX Index, hit 10.34, the lowest level since early 2007 and roughly half the long-term average.
- How Well Do You Know Your Indexes? @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
We offer a quick guide to what's included in some of the most widely tracked benchmarks.
- Gold miner rally ‘foreshadows a trend’ for the metal’ MarketWatch - Fri, Jul 11, 2014 5:30 AM EDT
The outperformance of gold-mining stocks over gold this year points to some price gains ahead for the metal, but don’t expect a big rally.
- Funds Drop on Portugal, History Repeats As Farce @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jul 10, 2014 9:01 AM EDT
This morning's example is Portugal, where regulators halted trading in shares of lender Banco Espirito Santo after a delay in the parent company's short-term debt payments. It's the oddly resonant echo of 2011's European debt crisis, and hopefully the farce. Telltale signs of trader nerves are the sharp premarket trading …
- March Redux? Once-Hot ETFs Lead Tuesday Selloff @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 10:36 AM EDT
One is perennially bullish Raymond James strategist Jeffrey Saut, who's quoted by Steven Russolillo of the Wall Street Journal predicting a market hiccup: Less than a week after the Dow Jones Industrial Average surpassed 17000 for the first time, Jeffrey Saut, chief market strategist at Raymond James, said the rally is …
- Gold Producers Move Back to Hedging --- But Are They Right? @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 9:02 AM EDT
The chatter overseas while U.S. investors were barbecuing: The world's gold producers are eager to offload more exposure to gold's price swings, moving to net-hedging status for the first time in three years. Last week, Thomson Reuters' GFMS precious metals and mining research manager William Tankard said "net hedging …
- Gold: Is Good News Bad News? @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jul 3, 2014 12:51 PM EDT
The decline in gold prices today following the release of a better-than-expected jobs report comes as no great surprise. So it stands to reason news that U.S. employers added jobs at a robust clip in June and the unemployment rate fell to 6.1%, would waylay the recent rally in gold prices. Gold for August delivery, the …
- Gold Hits 3-Month High; Does The Rally Have Legs? @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 11:36 AM EDT
Gold continues to shine with prices hitting a three-month high earlier today. The dust up in Iraq and turmoil in in Ukraine has resuscitated market for the precious metal, fueling back-to-back quarterly gains. Today, gold for August delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was adding $6.40, or …
- S&P Dow Jones on VIX: Futures Index 'Fair,' Demands 'Sophistication'; Whaley 'Mistaken' @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jun 27, 2014 11:57 AM EDT
An S&P Dow Jones Indices spokesman sends the below in response to criticism by Vanderbilt's Robert Whaley, credited as the creator of the "fear index." Whaley had harsh words this week for the investment products and index offshoots which sprung from the index with which he is associated: The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures …
- This Fixed-Income ETF Has Its Trade-Offs @ Morningstar - Fri, Jun 27, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
This high-yield bond index fund attempts to avoid some of the pitfalls of market-cap weighting, but it may introduce a new problem.
- Making Contrarian Investing Work @ Morningstar - Wed, Jun 25, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Performance tends to persist in the short run, but betting on long-term losers can be a winning strategy.
- Faber: Why Market-Cap Weighting Falls Short @ Morningstar - Tue, Jun 24, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Cambria founder Mebane Faber talks to Morningstar's Sam Lee about his fund's global value strategies and what he is buying in his personal portfolio.
- Here's Why 'Smart Beta' Has Jumped the Shark @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jun 23, 2014 9:29 AM EDT
Not the investment strategies bearing the name, which range from low-volatility investing to currency hedging and run the gamut from innovative to wacky. This weekend's Barron's ETF Focus column quotes JPM's ETF chief, Bob Deutsch, as calling the term "vague." BlackRock's (BLK) iShares, the industry giant, doesn't use …
- Why 2014's Biggest Gold Rally May be Bearish for S&P 500 iSPYETF - Fri, Jun 20, 2014 7:36 PM EDT
Gold just saw its biggest one-day gain of the year. At the same time the S&P 500 climbed to yet another 1-year high. Since 2009, this constellation happened three times, and led to short-term S&P 500 weakness ...
- Buzz on the Street: What Traders Are Saying About Gold, the S&P 500, and the Federal Reserve @ Minyanville - Fri, Jun 20, 2014 2:03 PM EDT
A look back at the happenings on Wall Street this week, as seen by Minyanville's contributors.
- The 4 Stocks That Dominated the Market 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Jun 17, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
June 17, 2014: Markets opened lower on Tuesday after a weakish report on single-family housing starts and a bigger increase in the consumer price index than economists had been expecting. Shortly before ...
- 3 Ways Not All Index Funds Are the Same @ Morningstar - Tue, Jun 17, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Price, process, and index variations all come into play.
- The Inner Workings of a Quant Contrarian Strategy @ Morningstar - Tue, Jun 10, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Finance professor Wesley Gray discusses his upcoming actively managed value ETF.
- Why the IMF is concerned when high-yield bonds reach record highs Market Realist - Mon, Jun 9, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
With interest rates at all-time lows, investors have flocked to the junk bond market in search of yield, pushing prices close to record highs over the past year.
- Fund Flows: What's Hot, Not @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jun 6, 2014 4:44 PM EDT
Emerging market debt funds attracted $2.2 billion in investments in the latest week, the largest figure since January 2013. While that marks the 10th week of inflows as investors search for yield, it's ...
- After Worst Month of 2014, Gold Heads for Sixth Straight Loss @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jun 2, 2014 1:32 PM EDT
Fund managers' net-long positions fell by 24% in the week ended May 27, Friday regulatory data showed, and short holdings jumped 72 percent, Debarati Roy and Nicholas Larkin of Bloomberg News report.
- [$$] The Trouble With Market Clichés @ Barrons.com - Sat, May 31, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
These may not be the times that try men's souls, but they are certainly trying options traders' patience. As the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average flirt with all-time highs, we are suffering through ...
- Not All Risk Is Rewarded @ Morningstar - Fri, May 30, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
This fund targets the riskiest stocks in the S&P 500 Index, but it probably won't offer better long-term returns.
- Options Strategies for the Goldilocks Market @ Minyanville - Thu, May 29, 2014 11:28 AM EDT
These game plans can generate profits during a slow summer.
- A New Frontier for This ETF @ Morningstar - Wed, May 21, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Changes in country allocations will reshape this popular frontier-market offering from iShares.
- [$$] Telecom Stocks: Strong Sector in a Shaky Market @ Barrons.com - Mon, May 19, 2014 4:51 PM EDT
Telecommunication service providers are such a sector, and many of the stocks offer a nice fat dividend yield. Given low interest rates and the weak environment for stocks, that's a double winner.
- VIX Tricks: Morningstar Pans the 'VEQTOR' Index @ Barrons.com - Fri, May 16, 2014 2:43 PM EDT
Morningstar's Samuel Lee is no fan of the S&P 500 Dynamic VEQTOR Index, which is best described as an attempt at have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too investing. The index is built to own the stock market in good times but vie for protection against financial-crisis-magnitude selloffs, too. The method, a complex market-timing …
- International and domestic corporate bond funds: The returns Market Realist - Fri, May 16, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
In this part of the series, we will discuss and compare funds investing primarily in debt issued by domestic and overseas corporates.
- Cheer Up! A Portfolio Pep Talk For Investors Benzinga - Fri, May 16, 2014 10:20 AM EDT
To say that this is a tough market may be the understatement of the year. Lots of areas are getting beaten to a pulp daily, the economy has sputtered, the masses have been fooled by the direction of interest ...
- A Strategy With Literally Fantastic Returns @ Morningstar - Fri, May 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Don't buy it.
- [$$] Traders Bet on Bounce in Small Company Stocks @ Barrons.com - Thu, May 15, 2014 1:52 PM EDT
The iShares Russell 2000 exchange-traded fund (IWM) recently traded below long-term technical support levels, which is about as bearish as it ever gets. Investors are buying bullish calls on shares of the iShares Russell 2000 ETF even though traditional financial valuations paint a rotten picture. The accumulation of …
- New Index Money for Qatar, UAE Should Top $1.5B: HSBC @ Barrons.com - Tue, May 13, 2014 11:31 AM EDT
Answer: The ones getting a big promotion this month from index-maker MSCI (MSCI). United Arab Emirates and Qatar are ahead by 41% and 24%, respectively, during 2014, with even sharper gains over the last year: 89% and 43%. The pair are due for inclusion in the widely followed MSCI Emerging Markets Index at the end of the …
- How Smart is 'Smart Beta'? @ Barrons.com - Mon, May 12, 2014 9:20 AM EDT
The just-published Barron's ETF Roundtable covers the movement toward -- what, exactly? Judge for yourself via my cherry-picking of the cautions, warnings, and caveats offered by our participants, Chris Brightman, chief investment officer at Research Affiliates; Luciano Siracusano, chief investment strategist and head …
- Discipline at the Core @ Morningstar - Wed, May 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A look at three funds that attempt to harness the underlying drivers of stock returns.
- [$$] King Coal, Burning Bright, May Reclaim Throne @ Barrons.com - Mon, May 5, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
Some coal stocks still look quite shaky while strength in others is not readily apparent to investors focusing solely on the Market Vectors coal ETF (KOL). Santa, I'll gladly take a lump of coal this year! Getting Technical Mailbag: Send your questions on technical analysis to us at email@example.com.
- Are Emerging Markets Finally Becoming Safer To Invest In? @ 24/7 Wall St. - Sat, May 3, 2014 9:34 AM EDT
Emerging markets have not been performing the way they have in many past bull markets. Most investor interest and direction from Wall Street strategists decided earlier this year that the U.S. and developed ...
- Corporate Bonds Inching Towards Bull Trap Territory iSPYETF - Tue, Apr 29, 2014 8:04 PM EDT
2014 has been the year of bull traps, here's another trap under construction: Corporate bonds, represented by the iShares iBOXX $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond ETF, paint a fairly clear technical picture....
- What Have They Done to My Index Fund? @ Morningstar - Tue, Apr 29, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Float-adjusted, spliced, and composite indexing methods aren't always straightforward.
- Yield Sucker Bet @ Morningstar - Fri, Apr 25, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A look at the biggest exchange-traded fund of closed-end funds.