- Assets in SPDR Gold Trust Drop; Gold Futures Rise @ Barrons.com - 5 hours ago
Holdings in the market’s biggest gold-linked ETF reported their biggest drop yesterday in 12 months as investor5s reduced assets despite the rise in the precious metal, according to Bloomberg. The newswire reports that the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) saw assets shrink 1.2% to 751.96 metric tons yesterday, the lowest level since …
- Gold Goes Up As U.S. Dollar Falls Down @ Barrons.com - Mon, Oct 20, 2014 11:23 AM EDT
Gold futures rose as the U.S. Last week’s stock market turmoil was a boon for gold prices. Gold and stocks tend to move in opposite directions as the precious metal is seen as a store of value and a hedge against economic turbulence, while equities tend to benefit from U.S.
- Hedge fund favorites take a dive in a Wall Street sell-off Market Realist - Fri, Oct 17, 2014 12:06 PM EDT
News reports have noted that popular stocks held by hedge fund managers are retreating at double the pace of other stocks.
- Gold Falls as Stocks, Oil Rebound @ Barrons.com - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 2:28 PM EDT
As equities and crude oil prices rebounded from an early morning rout, gold and other precious metals fell Thursday. Gold for December delivery, the most actively traded contract, ended the day at $1,241.30 ...
- Pick the Best Index Fund for You @ Kiplinger - Thu, Oct 16, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
Smart-beta funds, which are emerging as alternatives to traditional stock-index funds, are worth a look.
- Volatility Index Spikes Yet Again @ Barrons.com - Wed, Oct 15, 2014 12:38 PM EDT
Is the volatility spike over or just the beginning? That’s a good question with the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) hitting a new two year high. At 26.95, the Wall Street’s fear gauge surged more than 20% ...
- Emerging Markets Today @ Barrons.com - Tue, Oct 14, 2014 10:10 AM EDT
It's a mixed day for emerging markets with U.S. Trading underway. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index is up o.58%. The India S&P BSE Sensex Index rose 0.33%. But Russia's Micex Index fell one point, and Brazil's ...
- Why analyzing high-yield debt returns and investor flows matters Market Realist - Fri, Oct 10, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
Yields on corporate debt securities are based on a spread over Treasury securities of similar maturities. The option-adjusted spread for high-yield debt securities fell by 11 basis points over the week ...
- Got Bonds? If Not, You're Poorer for It @ Barrons.com - Tue, Oct 7, 2014 5:59 PM EDT
Remember at the beginning of 2014, when the 10-year Treasury note was at 3% and all the forecasts said the benchmark yield had nowhere to go but up? Well, the forecast of 3% turned out to be right--for ...
- Why the Fed’s Dudley and Evans advise patience in lifting rates Market Realist - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 10:31 AM EDT
After the 2008 financial crisis and Great Recession, U.S. monetary policy has been designed to boost economic growth and create jobs. The Fed has kept the federal funds rate at near-zero levels since December ...
- Emerging Market Must Reads @ Barrons.com - Thu, Sep 25, 2014 7:27 PM EDT
A few headlines to ponder in the emerging market world: Brazil: The Brazilian real fell with the latest poll showing Brazil Pres. Dilma Rousseff lost her lead over former Environment Minister Marina Silva ...
- Long Treasuries Lead in "Risk-Off" Lurch @ Barrons.com - Thu, Sep 25, 2014 4:46 PM EDT
Amidst the rout in risk assets Thursday, long-term Treasury bonds and their proxies soared as growing global economic and geopolitical uncertainties made them attractive ports in the market maelstrom. ...
- Stocks: A High Quality-vs.-Low Quality Snapshot @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Sep 25, 2014 3:50 PM EDT
Quality counts for stock picks—but not always in the way you'd think
- PIMCO exchange-traded fund faces SEC investigation @ USA TODAY - Wed, Sep 24, 2014 9:10 AM EDT
Feds looking into whether fund inflated returns.
- Didn't buy into the Alibaba IPO? You may own it anyway. Consumer Reports - Tue, Sep 23, 2014 4:45 PM EDT
It’s huge initial public offering over, the market has appraised Alibaba, assigning it a market capitalization of more than $230 billion at the end of its first day of trading. For now, the all-e...
- Gold, Silver Climb As Airstrikes Bombard Extremists In Syria @ Barrons.com - Tue, Sep 23, 2014 3:22 PM EDT
It was another day of gains for gold Tuesday, as geopolitical worries and weaker dollar helped the metal further distance itself from eight-month lows reached last week. Gold for December delivery climbed ...
- Emerging Markets Must Reads @ Barrons.com - Mon, Sep 22, 2014 5:16 PM EDT
Some headlines to ponder for emerging market investors. The iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (EEM) fell 1.5% Monday. FTSE dropped Argentina from its frontier index into an uncategorized grouping. That ...
- Overview: High-yield bond markets since the Great Recession Market Realist - Mon, Sep 22, 2014 4:32 PM EDT
High-yield, or junk-rated, bonds have higher yields than investment-grade bonds—like U.S. Treasuries and high-quality corporate debt. They're issued by borrowers with higher credit risk—for example, with ...
- [$$] Why Alibaba Isn't in Your Fund @ Barrons.com - Sat, Sep 20, 2014 4:03 AM EDT
Just about everyone knows that Alibaba Group, China's largest e-commerce provider, started trading on the New York Stock Exchange last Friday, having raised $21.8 billion in the world's largest initial ...
- Emerging Markets Week In Review @ Barrons.com - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 6:21 PM EDT
There was a lot of anxiety among emerging market investors headed into Thursday's Federal Reserve pronouncement on interest rates, and it hadn't subsided Friday. With prospects for rates rising higher ...
- Strong Dollar, Scottish Vote Lead To Three Weeks Of Losses For Gold @ Barrons.com - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 3:19 PM EDT
Gold for December delivery fell 0.8% to $1,216.60 an ounce, another eight-month low on Friday, touching levels not seen since late 2013. A strong dollar kept pressure on gold, as has been in the case in recent weeks, but as The Wall Street Journal's Ira Iosebashvili writes, the Scottish vote against independence was also …
- Gold Inches Higher, But Still Looks Dim @ Barrons.com - Mon, Sep 15, 2014 10:00 AM EDT
As my colleague Mary De Wet wrote in this weekend's edition of Barron's , there's not much glitter to gold these day. According to De Wet, gold can't even count on help from Asia. China and India, the world's top consumers of the metal, have scaled back their purchases this year. The World Gold Council, an industry …
- Asia Week Review: Alibaba Bump, Apple Slump, Stronger Dollar @ Barrons.com - Fri, Sep 12, 2014 5:35 AM EDT
China: Asia ex-Japan fell this week. China led the loss after Premier Li Keqiang mentioned that growth in money supply slowed in August. The Hong Kong Hang Seng Index fell 2.6%. The Hang Seng China Enterprises ...
- Silver Loses Its Polish @ Barrons.com - Thu, Sep 11, 2014 1:16 PM EDT
It hasn't been a good day for precious metals. We already reported that gold is on its way to its fourth straight day of declines thanks to a strong U.S. dollar and falling demand for a safe haven. But ...
- Evening Roundup: U.S. Stocks Rise; Coffee Prices Fall; Northern Trust Bets Big on Equities @ Barrons.com - Wed, Sep 10, 2014 4:39 PM EDT
U.S. stock rose Wednesday after two days of losses, with the S&P 500 closing below 2,000. The DJIA gained 54.8 points, or 0.3% to close at 17,068.71. The S&P 500 index added 7.2 points, or 0.3%, to end ...
- The 4 Stocks That Lifted the Market 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Sep 10, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
September 10, 2014: Markets opened higher on Wednesday, but no thanks to the energy sector. Crude prices were hammered by reports from OPEC and the U.S. EIA today. Tomorrow’s report on natural gas inventories ...
- Time to Go Global With Real-Estate Investing? @ Barrons.com - Wed, Sep 3, 2014 6:32 PM EDT
Interested in buying up real estate on a global scale? Thanks to mutual funds and exchange-traded funds, even common investors can invest in real estate with the geographical diversity once reserved for tycoons.
- Must-know: The Fed’s view of financial markets Market Realist - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
The New York Fed conducts the Survey of Primary Dealers before each FOMC meeting. Median dealer expectations in July put the first rate hike in 3Q15—unchanged from June's survey. Corporate profitability ...
- The 4 Stocks That Pushed the DJIA and S&P 500 to New Highs 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
August 26, 2014: Markets opened higher on Tuesday following a huge jump in durable goods orders, a better-than-expected report on consumer confidence, and a slowdown in home price increases. The DJIA hit ...
- A.M. Roundup: Gold Prices Linger While Copper Rebounds; How to Deal With An Orphan 401 (K) @ Barrons.com - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 10:03 AM EDT
U.S. stock indices opened higher, with the Dow rising 95 points, or 0.56% to 17,096. The S&P 500 gained 10.8 points, or 0.54% to 1,999 and the Nasdaq Composite rose 26.76 points, or 0.6% to 4,565.31. In ...
- Why You Shouldn't Put All Your Money in Index Funds @ Kiplinger - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 10:30 AM EDT
Stock index funds are performing superbly as the bull charges ahead. But don't look for them to protect you when the market stumbles.
- Is the Aggregate Index Too Heavy in Treasuries? @ Morningstar - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Record Treasury issuances during the past decade have made the index more conservative than most intermediate-term bond funds.
- I'll Beat the Market Yet @ Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 19, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
The aim of my venture into individual stocks is to prevail when the market plunges or languishes for years.
- An Unconventional Risk-Management Tool @ Morningstar - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Trend-following may help reduce volatility and losses during market downturns.
- Will Investing In Water Be The Next Big Thing? Benzinga - Fri, Aug 8, 2014 3:53 PM EDT
Drought conditions through much of the southwest, and California in particular, have reignited the concept of commoditizing water resources as an investment opportunity. The need for capital and infrastructure ...
- Fund Investing: Hire a Great Manager, or Go for Low Costs? @ Barrons.com - Mon, Aug 4, 2014 9:55 AM EDT
This is the lesson I read in colleague Lewis Braham's excellent story in Barron's over the weekend. Braham looks at how certain actively managed Vanguard Group funds have succeeded in the difficult task of beating the index over time. Consider, for instance, the actively managed Vanguard Health Care fund (VGHCX). ... Vanguard's …
- Argentina proves power of diversification @ USA TODAY - Sat, Aug 2, 2014 8:03 AM EDT
What to watch: When you're investing in exchange-traded funds, specialization leads to extinction.
- Diversification for the Sake of Diversification @ Morningstar - Fri, Aug 1, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Vanguard's Total International Bond exchange-traded fund is a poor investment today.
- Small Caps Plunge; Russell 2000 falls 1.7% @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 2:20 PM EDT
Blue Chips and big-cap stock indices aren't the only ones getting their heads handed to them today. Small cap stocks are getting trounced. In fact, the benchmark Russell 2000 index has fallen 20 points, ...
- Robo-Buffett Funds on the Cheap @ Morningstar - Wed, Jul 30, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
State Street's newly launched MSCI Quality Mix exchange-traded funds offer good value.
- Must-know facts about the silver rally Market Realist - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 6:35 PM EDT
While the metal has had a respectable run over the past month, silver is still playing catch-up after losses earlier this year.
- Should you jump on the silver bandwagon? Market Realist - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 2:34 PM EDT
After rising nearly 12% from its June lows, silver has been garnering some attention lately, leaving many investors wondering whether they should raise their allocations to the precious metal.
- [$$] When Passive Beats Active @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jul 26, 2014 2:24 AM EDT
The investor who took this column's advice in January of opting for the simplest passive ETFs instead of the stockpicker is ahead of most fund managers for 2014, despite paying a fraction of the cost. "With so little variation, it's just plain difficult to make good picks," Leeson says.
- The 4 Stocks That Tanked the Market 24/7 Wall St. - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
July 25, 2014: Markets opened lower on Friday as the markets come to grips with some weak earnings forecast for the current quarter. Only the basic materials sector managed to avoid a downturn. The report ...
- Despite Selloff - Gold is Holding Support ... for Now iSPYETF - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 1:11 PM EDT
Various media outlets listed many 'convincing' reasons to buy gold (a few examples of recent media blunders are listed in the article), but the gold market did exactly the opposite.
- Smart Money is Leaving Gold Just as the 'Herd' is Jumping in iSPYETF - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 11:54 PM EDT
From June 2 to July 10 gold prices surged 8.7%. Commercial traders were the first to get in on this rally and the first to get out. While commercials pulled out, the 'herd' (or dumb money) piled in. Could ...
- Must-know: The last cheap asset class Market Realist - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 12:49 PM EDT
Last week, U.S. equity market volatility, as measured by the VIX Index, hit 10.34, the lowest level since early 2007 and roughly half the long-term average.
- How Well Do You Know Your Indexes? @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
We offer a quick guide to what's included in some of the most widely tracked benchmarks.
- This Fixed-Income ETF Has Its Trade-Offs @ Morningstar - Fri, Jun 27, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
This high-yield bond index fund attempts to avoid some of the pitfalls of market-cap weighting, but it may introduce a new problem.
- Making Contrarian Investing Work @ Morningstar - Wed, Jun 25, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Performance tends to persist in the short run, but betting on long-term losers can be a winning strategy.