- Why It Is Now Dangerous to Be Long US Equities @ Minyanville - 6 hours ago
Exhaustion signals are adding up.
- Good News for Gold Miners: Country Risk Improving @ Barrons.com - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 11:23 AM EST
One of the biggest risks to gold miners like Newmont Mining (NEM), Goldcorp (GG) and Barrick Gold (ABX)--besides the lower price of gold--has been that the country's that house their mines will make life difficult for them. In fact, it's one of the big reasons that Newmont has had a tough time this year--Indonesia wants …
- A good weekly outflow: Must-know loan market outlook Market Realist - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 12:00 PM EST
SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (SPY) and Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF (BND) prices were down by 10bps and 2bps, respectively.
- 4 Bond Portfolios for More Income, Less Risk @ Kiplinger - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Choose the right well-diversified collection of bond funds for you.
- What to watch: White-hot gold mining funds @ USA TODAY - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:48 PM EST
Two months into 2014, one mutual fund is up more than 100%. But beware chasing these gains.
- Michael Gayed: Is Gold Pausing or Rolling Over? @ Minyanville - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 1:40 PM EST
The commodity has been on fire, but is the flame about to go out?
- Why low inflation is keeping the bear market in check Market Realist - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 4:44 PM EST
This article examines the dynamic of real interest rates in the USA and the implications for fixed income investors.
- Must know: Choosing or avoiding ETFs based on their performance Market Realist - Tue, Feb 25, 2014 8:00 AM EST
For a period of five years, HYG tops the list (13.44%), while for ten years, TLT again moves ahead (6.15%).
- Natural Gas Falls 11% At Close @ Barrons.com - Mon, Feb 24, 2014 3:12 PM EST
It's a cold day in New York City. So what gives with natural gas futures? The harsh winter and artic cold in the Midwest and Northeast have fueled a steep price climb over the last few months. Monday morning, ...
- EM Power Ranking: India and Indonesia Favored This Year @ Barrons.com - Mon, Feb 24, 2014 7:41 AM EST
I start each week highlighting previous week's best and worst performing emerging-markets single country exchange-traded funds, using the most heavily traded for each nation. Not only did the pace of foreign ...
- Can Gold Futures Hold Onto Gains? @ Barrons.com - Fri, Feb 21, 2014 11:34 AM EST
Will gold futures manage to deliver another weekly gain? Prices for gold futures for April delivery climbed Friday, rising 0.23% to $1,320.90 an ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, with violence in the Ukraine fueling some safe-haven support for the metal. It didn't do much to help Newmont …
- Demand shocks: Why high yield bond funds flows moved up Market Realist - Fri, Feb 21, 2014 9:16 AM EST
Know why the high yield bond market rebounded after two weeks of consecutive outflows.
- Are the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Really in a Period of Disconnection? @ Minyanville - Wed, Feb 19, 2014 10:33 AM EST
The sensation of a disconnect is nothing more than an illusion. Here's why.
- Natural Gas Surges Again --- But How Much Higher? @ Barrons.com - Wed, Feb 19, 2014 10:09 AM EST
Another day, another violent move in the price of natural gas, with the commodity's most actively traded futures contract surging 7% Wednesday morning. A much-anticipated inventory report tomorrow is expected to show another large reduction in the country's natural-gas stockpile, which is one key reason for the heavy interest …
- Gold Bugs Chart Dilemma: Breakout or Fake Out? 24/7 Wall St. - Mon, Feb 17, 2014 8:45 AM EST
Gold is back. After challenging $1,200 per ounce in December, gold bugs have become bullish again and the shiny yellow metal is back above $1,300 per ounce. Now a key technical milestone has been hit that ...
- Not Again --- Will Emerging Markets Take Down Gold? @ Barrons.com - Thu, Feb 13, 2014 12:34 PM EST
The gold market's 2013 bugaboo was exchange-traded funds. The argument surfaces this morning at Goldman Sachs, where commodity strategists led by Jeffrey Currie warn weak emerging-market demand could be an issue for gold, soybeans, iron ore and platinum, but not oil: Combining all our results, the relatively small leverage …
- [$$] More Support for Gold: Charts Take Bullish Turn @ Barrons.com - Wed, Feb 12, 2014 6:00 PM EST
Although there are still plenty of doubters, the charts of gold and gold mining stocks look rather good. And for the first time since December 2012, the Market Vectors Gold Miners exchange-traded fund (GDX) traded above its 200-day moving average (see Chart 1). And while gold itself, as represented by the SPDR Gold shares …
- Ashmore: 5 Conditions For EM Turnaround, We Are Almost There @ Barrons.com - Tue, Feb 11, 2014 12:34 PM EST
Emerging markets specialist Ashmore Investment Management listed five conditions required for the sour sentiments towards emerging markets to turn around. First, the technicals. According to Ashmore, the ...
- Bonds as the Ballast @ Morningstar - Fri, Feb 7, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Despite their relatively low expected returns, bonds still provide diversification and stability.
- Fearful? These Volatility ETN Traders Aren't @ Barrons.com - Wed, Feb 5, 2014 10:55 AM EST
Mr. Market may be worried about stock valuations, the Federal Reserve, instability in emerging markets, and so forth. Nick Taborek and Callie Bost of Bloomberg News have the story on VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short-Term ETN (XIV), which has slumped nearly 25% in the new year, including 4% on Wednesday. This one …
- On ETF Rebalancing Day, Is Somebody Frontrunning Your Trade? @ Barrons.com - Mon, Feb 3, 2014 9:09 AM EST
Chris Dieterich of the Wall Street Journal has a timely story on what happens when portfolio managers are too predictable with their monthly rebalancing. The story focuses on Good Harbor Financial, an ETF portfolio manager known for its high-performing tactical investing strategies. The firm manages or advises on $11 …
- [$$] In Picking Mutual Funds, R.I.P. Can Be as Crucial as P/E @ Barrons.com - Sat, Feb 1, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Smart mutual-fund investors look to a manager's track record, investment strategy, and the attractiveness of the fund's portfolio before buying. Fund-watcher Morningstar tracks 7,461 mutual funds, and its count since 1994 of obsolete funds—those merged away or liquidated—is 7,183. "Survivorship bias," as this quirk is …
- Avoiding Madoff --- or Just a Troubled ETF Manager @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 28, 2014 4:48 PM EST
The panel slides from moderator Katherine Earhart, director of BlackRock's (BLK) iShares Connect program, laundry-listed key questions: Does the manager have a consistent process? Does the manager have ETF knowledge and expertise? What is the manager's client communications process? Melanie Hardin, executive vice president …
- Bad Time for Emerging Markets: 2014 ETF Outlook @ 24/7 Wall St. - Fri, Jan 24, 2014 2:37 PM EST
When Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan said to avoid emerging markets in 2014, many investors and market participants thought that the firms were merely sticking to a 2013 trend for too long. Now that call ...
- Michael Gayed: Great Rotation Back to Bonds? @ Minyanville - Tue, Jan 21, 2014 10:07 AM EST
Bonds continue to look like they may have bottomed, and could cause a rotation out of stocks.
- [$$] The Best Funds for Emerging Markets @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jan 18, 2014 12:01 AM EST
That's particularly problematic, given that the entire category has fewer than 200 funds (198, to be exact, according to Morningstar), and 83 of them don't even have a three-year track record. If that's your preferred route, the broadest emerging-markets index ETF is the $38 billion iShares MSCI Emerging Markets (EEM), …
- [$$] Where to Find Yield @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jan 11, 2014 12:01 AM EST
After 30 years of falling interest rates, income investors finally have something to get excited about. The rate rise was also felt in the stock market as several income-oriented sectors, including utilities, real-estate investment trusts, and telecom stocks had mediocre-to-poor returns. The result is that investors can …
- Bob Doll: Gold, Commodities to Fall Again in 2014 @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 7, 2014 9:02 AM EST
To Bob Doll, the question isn't why gold fell so hard during 2013. The former BlackRock (BLK) chief strategist's "ten predictions" for 2014 includes a call for gold to fall again, along with other commodities. The lack of a major systemic calamity that might boost the metal's price, the stubborn absence of inflation, …
- [$$] Charts Offer Nuggets Of Good News for Gold @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 7, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Traders are taught early to follow the trend, and the trend on gold and silver continues to be ugly. First, the sordid recent history: The declines in gold and the SPDR gold trust (GLD) exchange-traded fund have been grueling. For gold futures, the equivalent level is $1,180.
- Precious Metals Sloping Up for 2014 @ Minyanville - Mon, Jan 6, 2014 11:40 AM EST
Last year was a difficult one for precious metals, but thanks to the process of contango, future prices are moving upwards.
- Gold: The 128-Year Chart Suggesting Long-Lasting Pain @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jan 2, 2014 10:53 AM EST
The quality that drew so many investors to gold the last decade -- its ability to march to a different beat than stocks -- may be the biggest danger to the metal's price. History suggests that if stocks continue to rise, gold will fall behind, since its price tends to fare best, in the words of Citigroup strategists, "when …
- Want to Buy a Volatility Hedge? First Check Out These Numbers @ Barrons.com - Thu, Dec 26, 2013 3:23 PM EST
If you're thinking of buying an exchange-traded fund which benefits from market volatility, you need to see some numbers first. Vance Harwood at Six Figure Investing ran a back-test to 2004 of six popular ETF and ETN strategies which track the volatility-futures market in Chicago. Two of the strategies ended up worthless. …
- Egyptian Stocks Are Soaring. Is Egypt Back In Play? @ Barrons.com - Tue, Dec 24, 2013 8:29 AM EST
The Market Vectors Egypt Index ETF (EGPT) is up 9% this year, outperforming the iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index ETF (EEM) by 15%. Egypt's current account turned positive during the third quarter, the first surplus since 2008. So is Egypt back in play? Egypt's current account turned positive only because of the $4 …
- How Did Facebook End Up in the S&P 500? @ Morningstar - Tue, Dec 17, 2013 7:00 AM EST
We dive into the process for adding companies and booting them from the iconic index.
- Iamgold: Dividend Suspension + Falling Gold = Big Plunge @ Barrons.com - Thu, Dec 12, 2013 9:55 AM EST
Shares of Iamgold have plunged 8.1% to $3.53 this morning at 9:48 a.m., easily outpacing the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) 3.2% decline, Barrick Gold's (ABX) 2.6% drop and Newmont Mining's (NEM) 2.8% fall. Clearly something more is afoot than the drop in the price of gold--the SPDR Gold Trust ETF (GLD) has dropped …
- Market Vectors: A New Aggregate EM Bond ETF, "No Assemblies Required" @ Barrons.com - Wed, Dec 11, 2013 11:05 AM EST
Market Vectors just launched a new aggregate EM bond ETF (EMAG) that is converted from their LatAm Aggregate Bond ETF (BONO). In co-fund manager Fran Rodilosso's words, this ETF is "no assemblies ...
- Is Your Multi-Asset ETF Ready for 2014? @ Minyanville - Tue, Dec 10, 2013 11:58 AM EST
Choose the ETF that's right for your investing style.
- Morning Read: Trouble in ETF Strategist-Land @ Barrons.com - Tue, Dec 10, 2013 10:00 AM EST
In the news: There's controversy in ETF managed portfolios, which are the niche where a growing number of financial advisers outsource their portfolios to separate-accounts ETF strategies. The worry: Some of these strategies sound too good to be true. The Securities & Exchange Commission is probing one of the most successful …
- Here's Who Shouldn't Buy the Low Volatility ETF @ Barrons.com - Mon, Dec 9, 2013 6:55 PM EST
I'm just finished moderating the panel "The Low Volatility Anomaly" at the IMN Global Indexing & ETFs conference in Scottsdale, Ariz. During the panel, an S&P Dow Jones Indices executive had an interesting comment about who shouldn't buy into so-called low-volatility ETFs -- meaning funds which give investors access to …
- Morning Read: BlackRock, Vanguard In Bond-Fund Moves @ Barrons.com - Mon, Dec 9, 2013 10:14 AM EST
Charging 0.18%, the ETF will hold investment-grade fixed- and floating-rate debt securities with maturities of three years or less -- and the range of options will be wide. The ETF's mandate allows U.S. and non-U.S. government bonds, agency securities, mortgage-backed securities, ABS, structured or privately issued securities, …
- EM Power Rankings: EM Growth Picked Up But Equities Fell On Taper Talk @ Barrons.com - Mon, Dec 9, 2013 7:45 AM EST
I start each week highlighting previous week's best and worst performing emerging-markets single country exchange-traded funds, using the most heavily traded for each nation. Frontier markets are not included–yet. ...
- An ETF to Match the Market Kiplinger - Tue, Dec 3, 2013 12:00 AM EST
Vanguard Total Stock Market owns almost every publicly traded U.S. company worth at least $10 million.
- 3 ETFs to Buy With the Market on Its Highs @ Minyanville - Tue, Nov 26, 2013 12:42 PM EST
All three of these ETFs focus on areas of the market that have the potential for further capital gains but with lower volatility than comparable options.
- Searching for Income in a Low Interest Rate Environment @ Minyanville - Tue, Nov 12, 2013 12:06 PM EST
One strategy? Look to emerging markets debt, which is still risky, but could offer higher yield.
- ETF investors are making a hugely bullish bet CNBC - Fri, Oct 18, 2013 11:53 AM EDT
- Ride the Bull Market With This ETF Filled With Brokerage Stocks Kiplinger - Tue, Oct 8, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
These stocks are less sensitive to interest-rate swings than most financials.
- Bond exodus accelerates as yields creep near 3% CNBC - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:33 AM EDT
- An ETF to Prosper From Japan's Recovery Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 2, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Keen on Japanese stocks? This fund offsets the currency risk.
- Bond Fund Outflows Hit Record Level CNBC - Mon, Jun 24, 2013 5:47 AM EDT
- Gold's Neglected Cousin to Face Supply Squeeze CNBC - Mon, Jun 17, 2013 5:21 AM EDT