- 'Robo investing' on the fruit and nut fringe @ Financial Times - 5 hours ago
When Jack Bogle tells me he thinks exchange traded funds are "the greatest marketing innovation of the 21st century", he does not mean it as a compliment. Vanguard, the fund management company ...
- Best And Worst ETFs Of The Week Amid Earnings Deluge Benzinga - 17 hours ago
The earnings calendar was chocked full of surprises this week, as both positive and negative announcements were made from a wide array of large-cap stocks. Companies such as Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: ...
- Gap in China's Wall of Bonds @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jan 31, 2015 3:22 AM EST
China’s bond market often seems like a giant snow globe with a beautiful skyline inside that investors can never touch. China’s growth has been phenomenal, but foreign investors have been largely trapped outside, looking in. In 2014, China increased the number of foreign institutions allowed to trade mainland-listed securities. …
- SPY rallies in the afternoon and closes higher at 2,021 Market Realist - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 5:06 PM EST
The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) mirrors the price movement of the S&P 500, so it also gained ~0.93% and closed at 202.01 levels
- Gold Logs Biggest Monthly Gain In Years, India, Russia Demand Up; Oil Pops @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 2:51 PM EST
Precious metals were staging a comeback after Thursday’s dramatic selloff, with gold rising nearly 2% on Friday. Gold settled up 1.9%, to $$1,278.50 an ounce, helped by lower-than-expected U.S. GDP growth. Gold is up 6.8% in January, the biggest monthly gain since July 2013. Among ETFs, the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD, the iShares …
- How Alibaba's Earnings Are Hitting These 3 ETFs Benzinga - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 2:03 PM EST
After its $25 billion IPO and an epic first two months of trading, Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE: BABA ) has finally come down to earth following sub-par third-quarter earnings. The selling has sent ...
- Taking Stock in Russia? Nyet @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 10:44 AM EST
From Russia with love? Not much affection for U.S.-listed shares of Russian stocks today after the Central Bank of Russia unexpectedly cut its main interest rate to 15% from 17% as fears of recession mount ...
- The 6 Best Passive Large-Cap ETFs @ Morningstar - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Passive large-cap funds won the performance battle in 2014.
- Overbought? The gold rally fuels the GDX and GDXJ ETFs Market Realist - Thu, Jan 29, 2015 4:06 PM EST
The GLD ETF or gold price movements directly affect the margins of the GDX and GDXJ ETFs.
- ETF Spotlight: Dividend Aristocrat Index Benzinga - Thu, Jan 29, 2015 2:58 PM EST
The concept of dividend growth is one that investors are becoming more attuned to in this low interest rate environment. With bond yields trading near multi-year lows, an alternative solution for income ...
- Precious Metals, Commodities Sink On Fed Worries, Strong Dollar @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jan 29, 2015 1:32 PM EST
More hawkish interpretations the Federal Reserve’s statement Wednesday is hurting gold, but the precious metal isn’t alone, with peers and other commodities getting slammed in trading today. Gold fell ...
- Global markets react to 60 billion euro quantitative easing package Market Realist - Thu, Jan 29, 2015 1:05 PM EST
Global markets have reacted positively to the euro quantitative easing announcement.
- Gold trades higher on a weak dollar ahead of the FOMC Market Realist - Thu, Jan 29, 2015 12:06 PM EST
Gold prices rallied from the week’s low of $1,276.20 per ounce to the day’s high of $1,295.60 per ounce on January 27, 2015.
- The GDX and GDXJ ETFs gain on large fund flows Market Realist - Thu, Jan 29, 2015 12:06 PM EST
The GLD ETF or gold price movement directly affects the profitability of the GDX and GDXJ ETFs.
- US market ETFs in pharmaceutical industry Market Realist - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 8:05 PM EST
This article discusses the major pharmaceutical ETFs in the US markets.
- The GLD ETF trades lower on Greece’s Syriza party win Market Realist - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 5:55 PM EST
On January 26 , 2015, gold and its ETFs like the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) started to decline, hitting a one-week low. The GLD ETF was trading at $123.98.
- Microsoft leads a 30-point drop in the S&P 500 Market Realist - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 5:40 PM EST
The SPY ETF tracking the S&P 500 started declining during mid-day trades on January 27 on the consensus of a disappointing outlook for big companies.
- 2 New ETFs Tracking Zacks Benzinga - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 5:18 PM EST
Two new ETFs hit the market January 20 that aim to capture proprietary investment strategy of research giant Zacks . The two ETFs will be managed by ETF Securities and will cover U.S. equities; one being ...
- Currency Trends Dictate International ETF Stock Exposure Benzinga - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 4:41 PM EST
The investment community has been fixated on the strength of the U.S. dollar versus rival foreign currencies, such as the euro and yen . The widespread quantitative easing efforts and falling bond yields ...
- The SPY ETF trades higher after Greece’s Syriza party win Market Realist - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 1:55 PM EST
The SPY ETF reacted positively to the news, rising 1.44 points to 205.3—an increase of ~0.7% from the day’s low.
- 'Apple Effect' in Full Force After Earnings Beat @ Barrons.com - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 9:23 AM EST
The "Apple Effect" on the market's largest index funds will be in full force on Wednesday. Apple is the most highly valued stock on the American market by capitalization and in turn gets heavy representation in index-tracking funds that sort stocks by size. Apple's (AAPL) blowout quarterly earnings report is sending shares …
- 3 Agriculture ETFs Seeking To Breakout Benzinga - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 7:15 AM EST
The agricultural business sector of the market has been slow to keep pace with the pronounced growth in the major indices over the last year. The flagging prices of agricultural commodities such as corn, ...
- Deflation In Developed Markets Is Good For Emerging Markets @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 27, 2015 10:08 PM EST
Investors should not underestimate the risk of deflation, warned Bank of America Merrill Lynch. "76% of developed markets today have inflation below 1%, which has happened just once before, briefly ...
- Emerging Markets Face Crisis, Short Turkey, Venezuela, Russia? @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 27, 2015 4:56 PM EST
Emerging markets may face a crisis this year for a host of reasons, with the isolated threat of sovereign debt default potentially dragging down the whole group. On a dismal day in the U.S. market, with ...
- Hedging Market Selloffs With ETFs Benzinga - Tue, Jan 27, 2015 2:46 PM EST
The stock market continues to trade within a narrow range in 2015 with big moves on a daily basis. The S&P 500 failed to break above resistance at a double top at 2064 late last week, and has started this ...
- Technical analysis update – GDX and GDXJ Market Realist - Tue, Jan 27, 2015 12:34 PM EST
GDX consists of publicly-traded global companies. The companies are primarily involved in gold mining. It has assets worth $7.2 billion.
- Why gold rallied after the ECB announced its stimulus program Market Realist - Tue, Jan 27, 2015 8:34 AM EST
Gold and its ETFs—like the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD)—had already climbed. However, gold rallied due to the ECB's massive stimulus program.
- Motley Fool: Vanguard's best ETFs @ USA TODAY - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 3:30 PM EST
Vanguard offers more than 50 ETFs.
- The SPDR S&P 500 surged after the ECB meeting Market Realist - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 2:34 PM EST
The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) was trading higher during the morning trades on January 22, 2015. It traded higher because the ECB announced the massive stimulus package.
- ETFs Moving On Greek Election Benzinga - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 2:11 PM EST
The Greek vote is in and the results were not a surprise; Syriza won the majority of votes and will take over the country. The news initially sent stocks around the globe lower; however, by the time the ...
- Real Estate, Greece And Technology ETFs To Watch This Week Benzinga - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 7:17 AM EST
Last week, the markets regained some semblance of momentum as the widely-anticipated quantitative easing plan from the European Central Bank was unveiled. This news pushed the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE: SPY ...
- The Best And Worst ETFs Of The Week Amid European Quantitative Easing Benzinga - Sat, Jan 24, 2015 10:47 AM EST
The implementation of unprecedented quantitative easing efforts in Europe was officially introduced this week. In an effort to combat deflation, the European Central Bank will begin purchasing 60 billion ...
- Why Two Big ETFs Are Shrinking @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jan 24, 2015 12:19 AM EST
Amid the hoopla about record-high inflows into exchange-traded funds last year, two of the industry’s oldest and best-known funds are shedding assets -- and fast. PowerShares QQQ (QQQ), the ETF market’s bell cow for technology stocks for nearly 16 years, suffered the largest withdrawal from any ETF last year, as $11.6 …
- IMF expects economic growth to slow a bit, again Market Realist - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 3:19 PM EST
The International Monetary Fund expects the world’s economic growth to rise by 3.5% in 2015 and 3.7% in 2016, a pace it describes as “moderate.”
- New Equity Income ETF With A Twist Benzinga - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 3:18 PM EST
A Boston-based FFMC LLC, advisors to the QuantShares ETFs , have created a new ETF with two appealing characteristics: high dividend income and capital appreciation. The QuantShares Hedged Dividend Income ...
- Hedged European ETFs Lead Rally Benzinga - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 2:51 PM EST
The move by the European Central Bank this week was not a major surprise. However, the magnitude of the new qualitative easing plan did come in above many experts’ predictions. The higher-than-expected ...
- How Phillips 66 Partners stock performed in 2014 Market Realist - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 12:06 PM EST
Phillips 66 Partners is spared from commodity price exposure because it generates revenues from tariffs or fees, not from the commodity it transports.
- Emerging Market Yields Attractive As Euro Slides, Europe QE Unfolds @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 11:06 AM EST
Asset purchases in Europe announced Thursday are likely to benefit emerging market bonds as investors seek out higher yields in the developing world. So say Morgan Stanley's Andrew Sheets, Phanikiran Naraparaju ...
- Gold and Silver Rally as Central Banks Open Spigot @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 8:55 AM EST
Gold and silver have been storming higher in the new year as central banks continue to pump money into the global financial system. The European Central Bank on Thursday introduced a €60 billion monthly bond-buying program, while last week, the Swiss National Bank shocked global currency and stock markets by ending its …
- A Low-Tech Index Offering Exposure to the High-Tech Sector @ Morningstar - Fri, Jan 23, 2015 7:00 AM EST
The case for the tech-heavy, large and liquid PowerShares QQQ ETF remains a strong one.
- Asia Today: ECB Delivers A "Convincing" QE, China's Manufacturing Rises @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 9:15 PM EST
The European Central Bank exceeded expectations. The ECB will start buying euro-denominated investment-grade Euro sovereign bonds at 60 billion Euro per month pace, starting March, till at least next September, ...
- ETF Market Vital Signs, Jan. 22: ECB Seals the Deal @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 6:29 PM EST
At long last, the European Central Bank delivered a monthly bond-buying program aimed at stimulating economic growth and fueling higher prices on the Continent. Stocks jumped and the euro tumbled. Daily ...
- European ETFs Offer Muted Reaction To ECB Quantitative Easing Benzinga - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 4:54 PM EST
The announcement Thursday by the European Central Bank that it would fight deflation with a U.S.-style quantitative easing program was met with a lukewarm response throughout the international marketplace. ...
- Will the iShares Silver Trust ETF continue its recent rally? Market Realist - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 4:49 PM EST
The rally had pushed silver ETFs such as the iShares Silver Trust ETF (SLV), the ProShares Ultra Silver (AGQ), and the Silver Trust ETF (SIVR) higher.
- An easier way to understand the pharma industry Market Realist - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 2:06 PM EST
The global pharmaceutical industry was worth an estimated $1 trillion in 2014. In 2013, global pharmaceutical markets generated revenues of $980.1 billion.
- Currency Strategy On Bumpy Road For Emerging Bonds, Stocks @ Barrons.com - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 1:02 PM EST
In light of foreign selling pressure on emerging market equities in December and into January, and some resilience in bonds, Société Générale offers some currency trades today. Benoit Anne, SocGen's head ...
- Must-know: Will the SPDR Gold Shares ETF hit $133.10? Market Realist - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 12:49 PM EST
The recent rally of gold and silver has reflected in ETFs like the SPDR Gold Shares ETF (GLD) and the iShares Silver Trust ETF (SLV).
- ETFs with holdings in Best Buy Market Realist - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 12:33 PM EST
Best Buy is a part of consumer discretionary ETFs and several broad-market ETFs, such as the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY), as well.
- Investment opportunities in the US telecom industry Market Realist - Thu, Jan 22, 2015 8:13 AM EST
Investors that like the US telecom industry's fundamentals—for example, stable cash flows and high dividend yield—may invest in telecom ETFs.
- ETF Market Vital Signs, Jan. 21: A Day in Central Banks: Europe on Track, Cunucks Deliver Surprise C … @ Barrons.com - Wed, Jan 21, 2015 6:32 PM EST
Stocks in the U.S. finished higher on the eve of the European Central Bank's policy meeting. The ECB's executive board used the media to signal a bond-buying program to the tune of about €50 billion per month, which didn't ultimately fuel much of a pop in stock on the other side of the Atlantic. The question is whether …