- First Take: Back to the future — Nasdaq 5000 circa 2015 @ USA TODAY - 5 hours ago
The tech-packed index tops 5000 for the first time since the dot-com crash in 2000.
- Back to the Future: Dow Industrials, S&P 500 Hit New Highs, Nasdaq Clears 5,000 @ Barrons.com - 5 hours ago
It's back to the future as the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 hit new all-time highs today--and soon the Nasdaq Composite may be joining them, as the tech-heavy index closed above 5,000 for the first time since the dot-com boom. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 155.93 points, or 0.9%, to 18288.63--a …
- Apparel Retailers Break Out: How to Pocket Gains @ Barrons.com - 7 hours ago
The breakout event was driven by Gap Inc. (GPS), which jumped Friday after the company announced a new $1 billion share buyback program, which follows its previous $500 million program announced last October. They may not have formed official breakouts but many, such as L Brands (LB) have been in solid bull trends for …
- 3 Ageless Lessons for Nasdaq 5000 ETFguide - 7 hours ago
Back to the future! The Nasdaq Composite Index (NasdaqGIDS:^IXIC) just crossed 5,000. Other stock market yardsticks like the Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSEARCA:DIA) and S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:VOO) sit atop ...
- Buying ETFs on Margin Versus Leveraged ETFs @ Investopedia - 7 hours ago
Leveraged ETFs and investing in an ETF on margin both have their advantages and disadvantages.
- How To Mitigate Mistakes Made Due To Behavioral Biases Market Realist - 11 hours ago
Mitigate mistakes made due to behavioral biases by thinking long-term and using ETFs as a tool to diversify your portfolio.
- Yahoo Has Been A Disappointment Since Alibaba Spinoff - Will Things Change For The Bulls? Benzinga - 11 hours ago
Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO ) shares have been a disappointment for the bulls ever since peaking out in mid-November 2014. Since then, shares have traded lower by more than 15 percent while the NASDAQ has ...
- Strategies for Investing in the World's Fastest-Growing Economies US News - 11 hours ago
Let's say you've decided your portfolio would benefit from some type of international diversification. After all, with roughly half the world's market capitalization residing outside the U.S., there must be opportunity somewhere. Many people instinctively look for stocks, bonds, mutual funds or exchange-traded funds that …
- Why Warren Buffett is giving bad advice to disciplined investors @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
Surprisingly, Buffett’s annual investor letter had some bad advice for disciplined investors. We have seen this same advice from Buffett several times before and decided to pen this article.
- Real Estate Notes: A Smart Investment Alternative US News - 14 hours ago
After three decades of working in different areas of the real estate business, including owning a number of rental properties, the three T's of landlording, tenants, toilets and trash, were wearing thin on Don DeMarco. The Silver Spring, Maryland-based real estate entrepreneur has seen a lot, making a lot of money and …
- Six Reasons Why VCs Reject Good Startups Entrepreneur - 22 hours ago
- Top Reasons Forex Traders Fail @ Investopedia - Sun, Mar 1, 2015 11:00 AM EST
This market can be treacherous for unprepared investors. Find out how to avoid the mistakes that keep FX traders from succeeding.
- Larger Stock Buybacks Are A Signal Of Increasing Stock Market Efficiency @ Forbes - Sun, Mar 1, 2015 9:32 AM EST
You don't have to go far these days to find someone shouting that corporations buying back their own stock is a sign with all that's wrong with the financialisation of our society. Instead of just enriching shareholders companies ought to be expanding their businesses by investing the money internally. This
- Stocks Over Bonds @ Barrons.com - Sat, Feb 28, 2015 12:01 AM EST
Enter the $820 million Pimco Dividend and Income Builder fund (PQIZX). Despite the considerable experience his firm has in fixed-income investing, manager Brad Kinkelaar runs a fund (with three other managers, including the firm’s new chief investment officer, Dan Ivascyn) that’s heavily skewed toward stocks—its target …
- 10 Ways To Avoid Losing Money In Forex @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 9:00 PM EST
When approached as a business, forex trading can be profitable and rewarding. Find out what you need to do to avoid big losses as a beginner.
- Why The Disposition Effect Is Risky In The Long Term Market Realist - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 6:05 PM EST
The disposition effect is risky in the long term. This behavior is especially prevalent among risk-averse investors.
- What investments have been the poorest historical performers? @ Investopedia - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 4:33 PM EST
Learn about low performance investments and how they are used by investors. Find out which investments lose funds and how to protect investment value.
- Revenue Growth Is the Key for Bed Bath & Beyond GuruFocus.com - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 3:12 PM EST
In this article, let's take a look at Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (BBBY), a $13.9 billion market cap company, operating more than 1,500 stores in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico.
- Ametek Offers Good Opportunities for Growth GuruFocus.com - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 3:02 PM EST
In this article, let's take a look at Ametek Inc. (AME), a $12.84 billion market cap company, which is a leading global niche-market manufacturer of electronic instruments and electro-mechanical devices....
- 8 Questions That Will Help Set the Right Expectations With Investors Entrepreneur - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 11:30 AM EST
- The Dip In Stock Ownership Is Due To A Change In Perception Market Realist - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 10:06 AM EST
The number of Americans investing in stocks (SPY)(IVV) is decreasing. Conservatism toward stocks has caused a dip in stock ownership.
- How early retirees can build an income bridge Bankrate.com - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 5:00 AM EST
If throughout your career you maximized savings into your tax-advantaged retirement accounts and diligently socked money into after-tax savings, you may be able to retire early -- well before you're old enough to collect Social Security or pensions. Now the challenge is how to manage money in early retirement: specifically, …
- A New Way To Manage Risk When Trading FX DailyFX - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 10:00 PM EST
A New Way To Manage Risk When Trading FX
- Is it possible to be perfectly hedged against risk? @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 5:11 PM EST
Learn what it means to mitigate the market risk of a portfolio through hedging and to what extent hedging can reduce downside potential.
- 10 Forex Misconceptions @ Investopedia - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 5:00 PM EST
The currency markets are full of myths that can harm a trader's chances at success.
- Why Avoiding The Stock Market Could Cost You Market Realist - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 3:41 PM EST
Do you avoid the stock market? Shun diversification? Trade inefficiently? We examine three common bad behaviors among investors and provide tips.
- Abner Herrman's Top Three Holdings GuruFocus.com - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 3:00 PM EST
In recent days hedge funds have been filing their form 13-F, which is a quarterly report of equity holdings by filed institutional investment managers with at least $100 million in equity assets under ...
- Worried about a stock market crash? Read this CNNMoney.com - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:38 PM EST
Many investors still can't shake the memory of the stock market crash of 2008. Fearing a repeat, they've stayed on the sidelines by keeping their money in cash. They missed out on the great bull run of ...
- Lattice Strategies Enters ETF Space With Three Funds ETF Trends - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:30 PM EST
Lattice Strategies, the San Francisco-based money manager with an emphasis on risk-focused research and investment strategy design, made its foray into the exchange traded funds business today with three ...
- 3 Tax-Efficient 'Bucket' Portfolios for Retirees @ Morningstar - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Our model portfolios are designed to facilitate in-retirement cash flows--and to limit Uncle Sam's take.
- Get Your Rally Caps On! @ Barrons.com - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 5:19 PM EST
One and all, big and small: The stock market is at new highs and in the absence of a crushing increase in interest rates by the Federal Reserve, there is little in the way to stop it. More stocks are going up each day than down.
- India Equity Valuations Rich But Profit Growth Promising, William Blair Says @ Barrons.com - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 4:16 PM EST
As India's government unveils its budget this weekend, investors will be asking, did I miss it? Indian equities continue to outperform other emerging markets. The S&P BSE Sensex Index turned in a flat performance Wednesday, but is just 2.3% below its record close of 29,681.77 reached on Jan. 29. The iShares MSCI India …
- The Return To 1999 For Nasdaq Stocks @ Forbes - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 3:42 PM EST
In March 2000 when the Nasdaq traded at its all-time highs, the index traded at well over 100 times earnings, and the 10-year yield was 6.66%. As an investor, you could exit a market with record high valuations and get a risk free, nearly 7% return on your money in Treasuries. Today, the Nasdaq has a price/earnings multiple …
- GE: A Cheap Bet Shares Will Rally on Earnings @ Barrons.com - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 1:53 PM EST
General Electric, which is as widely held as it is mistrusted, is doing something rarely seen in recent years: trading strongly into earnings. With first-quarter earnings scheduled for April 17, investors are buying bullish calls in anticipation shares rally on the news. General Electric (GE) earnings are rarely treated …
- How To Become A Successful Forex Trader @ Investopedia - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 1:00 PM EST
Discover a framework that will help you build your own profitable forex trading strategy.
- Why Corporate Bonds Could Perform Well Market Realist - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 11:06 AM EST
A tailwind for both Treasuries as well as investment-grade corporate bonds (LQD) is the hike in interest rates that could take place later this year.
- Retirement Savers, Don’t Count on Washington to Protect You @ Money - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 10:40 AM EST
Regulations that would protect the interests of retirement savers are finally gaining traction in Washington. But don't pop the champagne corks just yet.
- 10 Investing Apps to Supercharge Your Portfolio US News - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 10:23 AM EST
Remarkably, it now only takes a tap or two to locate valuable investment information or move your money from one asset to another. "Investing is an inherently fast-paced, on-the-go industry, rendering it an especially good fit for mobile technology," says Raul Moreno, co-founder and CEO of iBillionaire, an app and website …
- Speculating Is a Dumb Way to Invest US News - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 9:16 AM EST
It's understandable that most investors do not achieve market returns which are theirs for the taking. A cautionary note: Although I am going to use the returns of the Standard & Poor's 500 index in the examples that follow, that index is not a proxy for the U.S. stock market.
- These 4 Swing Trades Could Place You in the Money @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 7:30 PM EST
Take advantage of moves both higher and lower with swing trades based on trend channels.
- The proven way to retire rich CNNMoney.com - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 6:01 PM EST
Looking for more money for your retirement? Who isn't? This study reveals that there is one sure-fire way to get it. The study Last year, the National Bureau of Economic Research with professors from the ...
- Tapping Retirement Funds Early – Without A Penalty @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 5:48 PM EST
The IRS offers several ways to skirt the 10% penalty on early retirement distributions.
- Ten Worst Mistakes Beginner Investors Make @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 5:01 PM EST
Here are the ten worst mistakes beginning investors make.
- Reversing a Declining Pattern in Earnings Per Share GuruFocus.com - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 4:49 PM EST
In this article, let's take a look at CR Bard Inc. (BCR), a $13.07 billion market cap company, which is a diversified maker of therapeutic and diagnostic medical devices has exposure to the vascular, urology, ...
- Stern Advice - Don't wait for Washington to protect retirement investors Reuters - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 4:09 PM EST
After years of talk about how to protect retirement savers, the White House has gotten behind a Labor Department proposal that would require financial advisers to put clients' interests ahead of their own. Consumer champion Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who says she is not running for president, is doing wall-to-wall media …
- Q&A: How Many ETFs Do You Need for a Well-Rounded Portfolio? ETFguide - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 1:46 PM EST
Q. How many ETFs do I need to own to have a balanced and diversified portfolio? – C.L. in Plano, TX A. One of the common investing fallacies is that the number of holdings within your investment portfolio should increase ...
- Does your portfolio need alternative investments? Consumer Reports - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 1:15 PM EST
Alternative investments are a little like alternative music: Ask 10 people what they are and you’ll get 10 different answers. Simply put, alternative investments are anything that aren’t mainstre...
- How To Minimize ETF Fees @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 1:01 PM EST
ETFs offer broad exposure to a variety of styles, sectors, regions and more. But the fees can be a bit steep. Here are ways to minimize them.
- What is the difference between investing and trading? @ Investopedia - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 1:00 PM EST
Investing and trading are two very different methods of attempting to profit in the financial markets. The goal of investing is to gradually build wealth over an extended period of time through the buying ...
- Invesco’s Mortgage REIT Turns Winner in Fannie-Freddie Debt Bet @ Bloomberg - Tue, Feb 24, 2015 12:52 PM EST
While the REIT was sitting on $15 million of paper losses at the end of last year after it bought more as prices slumped, a reversal this year has left the firm with gains on its purchases as well as “attractive” income from coupon payments, according to Chief Executive Officer Richard King.