- What gives the best results, an index fund or an ETF? @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 11:00 AM EDT
Investing in ETFs or index funds is a matter of personal choice, but market logic advocates ETFs for rebalancing funds and index funds for long-term goals.
- What are common mutual funds an investor should consider for investing in banks? @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 11:00 AM EDT
Discover some of the mutual funds that are most popular with analysts and investor for investing in the banking industry and the financial sector.
- How Much Cash Is Too Much Cash for Your Portfolio? US News - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 9:27 AM EDT
The debate reignited earlier this month when Charles Schwab launched Intelligent Portfolios, an algorithm-based platform that builds and rebalances portfolios automatically, similar to the asset-management services of robo-advisors. Charles Schwab's treatment of cash in the platform raised eyebrows immediately, attracting …
- India Continues to Be a Bright Spot Among Emerging-Markets Countries @ Morningstar - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 7:00 AM EDT
We take a close look at the fund options.
- The Must-Know Risks of Fixed Income Investing Market Realist - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 7:06 PM EDT
There are no free lunches. The risks involved in fixed income investing are two-fold.
- Why should an investor include an allocation to the drugs sector in their portfolio? @ Investopedia - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 4:11 PM EDT
Learn why investors should consider allocating assets to the drug sector as part of a diversified investment portfolio and strategy.
- Why Corporate Bonds Correlate to Stocks Market Realist - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 3:07 PM EDT
Corporate bonds, especially high yield corporate bonds, correlate to equities and hence, so they don't provide great diversification benefits.
- Roth Hopping: Maximize Returns Within Roth Accounts, Minimize Taxes Benzinga - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 12:20 PM EDT
"Roth Hopping," a relatively new and rarely employed strategy, is one that can be of great value to investors with both a Roth IRA and taxable account and who purchase individual stocks. Roth ...
- Where You Can Find Value Within Fixed Income Market Realist - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 11:06 AM EDT
The relative value within fixed income lies in corporate bonds with solid balance sheets.
- Is Silicon Valley Actually Too Big to Fail? Depends On Who You Ask @ TheStreet.com - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 6:00 AM EDT
Logic suggests that a company with hundreds of millions in the bank can't fail, but there's no guarantee.
- What does Long Position Mean? @ Investopedia - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 2:00 AM EDT
In the investing world, a long position refers to having a positive investment balance in a stock, bond, commodity, etc. This is done by simply buying and owning the investment. For example, a person who ...
- First Eagle is Long in National Oilwell GuruFocus.com - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 7:16 PM EDT
In this article, let's take a look at National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV), a $20.36 billion market cap company, which is a company that designs and manufactures drill rig equipment, provides down hole tools ...
- Equity Sub-Asset Class Basics for Retail Investors Market Realist - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 4:07 PM EDT
Financial engineers are constantly introducing the market to new sub-asset classes, often confusing retail investors in the process.
- There's a good reason why retirement funds are putting big bucks into tech 'unicorns' Business Insider - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 3:18 PM EDT
Yesterday, the New York Times published some...
- 5 Things My Dad Taught Me About Investing US News - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 11:11 AM EDT
- Why You Should Hold On to Tech Stocks Market Realist - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 11:05 AM EDT
Mature tech stocks are looking good. Recent earnings and strong forecasts prove there's some more headroom left.
- Portfolio Analysis: A $381,601 Portfolio Weighed Down by Cost US News - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 9:23 AM EDT
What kind of investment results would we get if we just tackled the things we can control? This week's portfolio report card is for Z.K., a 55-year-old real estate broker in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Z.K.'s combined portfolios consist of two individual retirement accounts and a SEP IRA valued at $381,601. One of his traditional …
- 7 Bad Investing Habits That Are Holding You Back US News - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 9:00 AM EDT
"My clients who are on track to meet their financial goals are the ones who have good savings habits," says Lauren Lindsay, director of financial planning at Personal Financial Advisors in Covington, Louisiana. Jerry Chafkin, chief investment officer at AssetMark in Concord, California, likens investor behavior to that …
- Getting a start on saving for retirement @ USA TODAY - Sun, Mar 22, 2015 6:30 AM EDT
Setting aside a small amount each month allows you to take advantage of compounding.
- Debunking The Option-Trading Myth Of Zero Sum Benzinga - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 8:54 PM EDT
There's an urban myth in options trading that's probably as old as the CBOE itself: It's often said that options trading is a zero-sum game. In other words, if someone wins, someone else has to lose, right? ...
- Retirement Account Risks: Small, Timely Tweaks Help @ Investor's Business Daily - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 7:34 PM EDT
Special Report: Retirement Planning 2015 Saving, building a diversified portfolio and staying the course are the keys to successful retirement planning. But to maximize returns, smart, active investors ...
- What Should Be The “Right Amount” of Cash Allocation? Market Realist - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 6:05 PM EDT
If you're preparing your portfolio for the short term, the allocation to cash should be high. As the horizon increases, allocation to cash should go down.
- Vanguard Readies Muni Bond ETF @ Investopedia - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 6:04 PM EDT
Vanguard is set to roll out a muni bond ETF, the firm's first.
- Who Wants to be a 401(k) Millionaire? @ Investopedia - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 5:58 PM EDT
Want to be a 401(k) millionaire? Here are some tips to get you on the right path.
- ETF Bubble Or No Bubble? @ Investopedia - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 5:45 PM EDT
ETFs might be the recommendation of choice for the unimaginative financial advisor, but that doesn’t mean that the industry is in a bubble.
- Louis Moore Bacon Upped Stake in a Snack Food Conglomerate GuruFocus.com - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 4:28 PM EDT
In this article, let's take a look at Mondelez International, Inc. (MDLZ), a $57.17 billion market cap company, which is a global snack food company.
- Energy Bonds Are Getting Killed -- so Big Names Are Buying Them @ TheStreet.com - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 4:14 PM EDT
Blackstone, Carlyle and Apollo are looking to buy energy assets on the cheap, and a few options appear to be available to retail investors looking to mimic their moves.
- Entrepreneurs Can Pay It Forward Through Angel Investing Entrepreneur - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 3:15 PM EDT
- Cushion Volatility With Bonds Market Realist - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 2:05 PM EDT
High yield bonds are becoming increasingly correlated with the S&P 500 and might increase your risk exposure instead of giving diversification benefits.
- Why Your Stock Of Cash Might Need A Little Help Market Realist - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 10:05 AM EDT
Reserves of cash, if kept idle, lose their value over time.
- Best Investing Apps for Smartphones and Tablets @ Kiplinger - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
Robinhood, Acorns, StockTwits and Openfolio can give mobile investors a leg up on the market.
- 5 Signs You Need a Financial Advisor US News - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 9:23 AM EDT
Some of the biggest advances for retail investors include: the ability to buy or sell securities for a very low cost, significant diversification from mutual funds and exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, in a variety of markets and more online tools and articles than you will likely every need. It's easy to see why investors …
- Here Are 7 Ways People Screw Up Their 401(k)s The Fiscal Times - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 9:00 AM EDT
The go-to method of retirement saving for most white collar American workers these days is the company-sponsored 401(k) plan. For four in 10 workers, 401(k) accounts represent their only retirement savings, according to Fidelity. Financial planners say workers should be saving at least 10 percent of their income for retirement. …
- Strategic Asset Allocation @ Investopedia - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 5:00 AM EDT
Strategic asset allocation is a portfolio strategy that involves setting target allocations for various asset classes, then periodically rebalancing the portfolio back to the original allocations when ...
- I Will Bet on Natural Resources Companies to Protect From Inflation Risk GuruFocus.com - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 6:39 PM EDT
In this article, let´s take a look at iShares North American Natural Resources (IGE). An ETF is a special type of fund that invests in a portfolio of stocks or bonds.
- Joel Greenblatt and Paul Tudor Jones Bet on Hasbro GuruFocus.com - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 5:20 PM EDT
In this article, let's take a look at Hasbro Inc. (HAS), a $7.64 billion market cap company, which is a company with a broad portfolio of toys, games and entertainment offerings includes brands such as ...
- Mutual fund trends: Big returns can lead to higher taxes Associated Press - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 4:22 PM EDT
Even the most pleasing ice cream on a hot summer day can result in a headache. Such is the pain mutual-fund investors are feeling as they prepare their taxes. Another year of sweet returns for stock funds ...
- Give Your Trades The Time Of Day (Or Season) For Active Volume Benzinga - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 4:06 PM EDT
The mechanics that drive the stock market are heavily influenced by time. Whether you're a short-term day trader or a long-term position trader, an understanding of how time affects the markets can help ...
- Before You Short A Stock, Read This StreetAuthority Network - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
Normally at StreetAuthority, we focus on the "long" side of the market, but today we're going to spend some time explaining the other side: shorting stocks. If shorting stocks isn't already
- Is Your Financial Advisor a Fiduciary? US News - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 9:01 AM EDT
President Barack Obama's recent endorsement of fiduciary standards for financial advisors could have significant implications for the investment industry. Said differently, the president is pushing to require financial advisors to put the client's needs before their own. Your advisor may not have your best interests in …
- 3 Chicken Ways to Rebalance @ Morningstar - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 7:00 AM EDT
While rebalancing in a pure form will do a better job of controlling risk, these strategies can help add a contrarian tilt to a portfolio.
- The Only S&P 500 Index Funds You Will Ever Need @ Morningstar - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 7:00 AM EDT
We highlight the five best funds in a crowded field.
- Penny Stocks, Options and Trading on Margin @ Investopedia - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 6:00 AM EDT
You may not be able to trade penny-stock options, but small-caps and micro-caps could be close enough. Here's a primer on accessing penny stocks.
- Betting on Emerging Markets Like Ray Dalio GuruFocus.com - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 5:22 PM EDT
Ray Dalio (Trades, Portfolio)’s Bridgewater Associates is one of the largest investors in iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Indx (ETF) (EEM) as it reported holding 78.54 million shares, down by 2% on the quarter....
- 4 Big Stock Gainers: Hold or Sell? @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 1:35 PM EDT
These four stocks saw big moves higher on March 17. Is it time to take profits or hold out for more. Here's what the charts say.
- What is the difference between diversification and hedging? @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 11:22 AM EDT
Learn what diversification and a hedge are, how investors can diversify and hedge their investments, and the main difference between the two.
- 5 Stocks Insiders Are Scooping Up Right Now @ TheStreet.com - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 11:04 AM EDT
Insiders at these companies have been buying shares of their own stock lately.
- What is a good interest coverage ratio? @ Investopedia - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 11:00 AM EDT
Learn the importance of the interest coverage ratio, one of the primary debt ratios analysts use to evaluate a company's financial health.
- Oppenheimer Sees Bullish Indicators In These 6 Tech Charts Benzinga - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 10:47 AM EDT
In a recent report, analysts at Oppenheimer took a technical look at the market and chose some of their favorite stocks in different sectors based on what they see in the charts. Analysts like what they ...
- Ordinary Investors Now Have an Advantage Over the Pros @ Bloomberg - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
Pigs still can’t fly and hell hasn’t frozen over, but interest rates have gone negative, and that’s weird enough. On March 9, six-month Germany Treasury bills—Unverzinsliche Schatzanweisungen—were auctioned to yield an annual rate of –0.22 percent. Keep those Unverzinsliche Schatzanweisungen in mind as you look for ways …