- Starboard offers to take RealD private for $12 per share Reuters - 6 minutes ago
Starboard offered $12 per share in cash, a premium of 29 percent to RealD stock price as of Wednesday close, valuing the company at about $540 million. RealD said in an emailed statement that it would review the offer. RealD's shares rose as much as 26.7 percent in extended trading. "The time frames and capital requirements …
- Hong Kong Government Seeks to Wait Out Protesters @ The Wall Street Journal - 13 minutes ago
Hong Kong has adopted a new strategy to marshal the city's widespread pro-democracy protests: allow the demonstrations to continue until the protesters tire or lose support from the wider public.
- Quantcast Acquires Ad Personalization And Retargeting Company Struq @ TechCrunch - 13 minutes ago
Quantcast is announcing that it has acquired Struq, a London-based company that offers cross-device retargeting and personalization for advertisers.Quantcast may be best known for its data about Internet traffic, but it seems to have built a thriving ad business as well.The company’s announcement emphasizes the ways in …
- Fab’s Jason Goldberg Talks Design And The Art Of The Pivot At Disrupt Europe @ TechCrunch - 13 minutes ago
TechCrunch Disrupt Europe is taking place from 18-21st October 2014 in London. You can grab your ticket right here. A free Hackathon kicks off the event, which you can apply for here.Then, on the following Monday and Tuesday, we’ll have Startup Battlefield and an awesome lineup of speakers and panels. Among them will be …
- Why Your Geography Does Not Control Your Destiny @ TechCrunch - 13 minutes ago
Editor’s note: Harley Finkelstein is the Chief Platform Officer at Shopify, the Canadian-based company behind the commerce platform that lets anyone sell online and in-store. Follow Harley on Twitter @harleyfNow more than ever, geography no longer controls your destiny in the tech world. While fashion centers around cities …
- USD/CAD Technical Analysis: Setting a Top Near 1.12? DailyFX - 28 minutes ago
USD/CAD Technical Analysis: Setting a Top Near 1.12?
- Al Baraka Bank issues first subordinated sukuk in Pakistan Reuters - 36 minutes ago
The Pakistani unit of Bahrain's Al Baraka Banking Group has raised 2 billion rupees ($19.5 million) via the country's first issuance of subordinated sukuk, or Islamic bonds, a bank official said. With Basel III global banking standards being phased in around the globe, several Islamic banks have issued subordinated instruments …
- Nine Entertainment Group Pty Ltd -- Moody's withdraws its ratings on Nine Entertainment @ Moody's - 39 minutes ago
Sydney, October 02, 2014-- Moody's Investors Service has today withdrawn its Ba2 Corporate Family Rating on Nine Entertainment Co Holdings Limited and Ba2 Senior Secured Rating on Nine Entertainment Group ...
- Korea Bonds Set for Longest Weekly Rally Since 2012 on Rate Bets @ Bloomberg - 42 minutes ago
South Korea ’s government bonds were set to advance for a sixth week, the longest rally in more than two years, as investors bet the central bank will cut borrowing costs to revive a slowing economy. The three-year yield fell to a record low, below the Bank of Korea’s 2.25 percent benchmark rate, after official reports …
- [video] My Umbrella Is Symbol for Hong Kong Protests: Zimmerman @ Bloomberg - 42 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Hong Kong lawmaker Paul Zimmerman discusses the Hong Kong protests with Angie Lau on "First Up." Zimmerman is also founder and CEO of Designing Hong Kong. (Source: Bloomberg)...
- [video] Australia's August Trade Deficit Better Than Expected @ Bloomberg - 45 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Paul Allen reports on Australia's August trade balance. He speaks on "On The Move Asia." (Source: Bloomberg)
- EM ASIA FX-Ringgit, Philippine peso and baht edge higher Reuters - 57 minutes ago
SINGAPORE, Oct 2 (Reuters) - The following table shows rates for Asian currencies against the dollar at 0130 GMT. CURRENCIES VS U.S. DOLLAR *China's financial markets are closed from Oct.1 to Oct.7 for ...
- Indian markets closed Oct 2-6 Reuters - 1 hour 0 minutes ago
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Indian markets will be closed from Thursday to Monday, with trading to resume on Tuesday. The Sensex fell 0.23 percent, or 62.52 points, to end at 26,567.99 on Wednesday. The broader ...
- Japan Investors Buy Most Foreign Stocks Since 2009 @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
Japanese investors boosted purchases of foreign stocks last week to the most since 2009 as bets the yen will weaken spurred buying outside their home market. Investors bought a net 393.1 billion yen ($3.6 billion) of shares outside Japan in the week ended Sept. 26, according to finance ministry data published today. Japan’s …
- [video] Taiwan Activists Rally to Support Hong Kong Protesters @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 3 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Rosalind Chin reports on the rallies being held around the world supporting the Hong Kong protesters. She speaks on "First Up." (Source: Bloomberg)
- Japan Companies Maintain Forecast for Sustained Inflation @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 18 minutes ago
Japanese companies forecast sustained price gains over the next five years, signaling progress in reflating the economy, albeit below the central bank’s target. Firms expect annual inflation of 1.5 percent in a year, unchanged from their projections three months ago, the central bank said in Tokyo . They see annual price …
- TABLE-Japan rubber stocks fall 4.7 pct to 14,251 tonnes Reuters - 1 hour 30 minutes ago
TOKYO, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Crude rubber inventories at Japanese ports stood at 14,251 tonnes as of Sept. 20, down 4.7 percent from 10 days earlier, data from the Rubber Trade Association of Japan showed ...
- Tech Stocks from Briefing.com Briefing.com - 1 hour 35 minutes ago
Tech Stocks from Briefing.com
- [video] Japan's $617B Trading Error Raises Controls Concern @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 45 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) – Bloomberg's Anna Kitanaka reports on Japan's massive trading error as $617B over-the-counter stock orders mistakenly flooded Japan's equity market, but were cancelled before being ...
- Risks to 'Abenomics' growing, whether Japan PM raises tax or not Reuters - 1 hour 46 minutes ago
If history is a guide, a string of disappointing economic reports in Japan would seem to argue against raising the country’s sales tax again. A recovery in the world’s third-biggest economy is faltering, despite Abe’s massive monetary easing and government spending over the past 21 months, and Japan may already be …
- Bloomberg Best: From Our Bureaus Worldwide - Oct. 1 (Audio) @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 47 minutes ago
Hosts Catherine Cowdery and Doug Krizner feature the best stories of the day from Bloomberg Radio , Bloomberg Television, and over 150 Bloomberg News bureaus around the world on Bloomberg Radio’s Bloomberg ...
- [video] Is China Losing Patience With Hong Kong? @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 55 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) – Bloomberg's Stephen Engle reports on Beijing's reaction to the protests that are now on their seventh day. He speaks to Angie Lau on "First Up." (Source: Bloomberg)
- [video] HK Protesters Threaten to Besiege Government Offices @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 59 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) – Bloomberg's Shery Ahn reports on Hong Kong students threatening to escalate the protests if their demands for free elections and the resignation of the city's top official aren’t met ...
- [video] This VC firm is upbeat on Kakao-Daum deal @ CNBC - 2 hours 1 minute ago
Osuke Honda, Partner at DCM, says the outlook for Kakao is promising because of its dominance in South Korea's mobile-centric market and ability to expand out of messaging.
- SINGAPORE PRESS-Visa to create 185 new technology jobs-Business Times Reuters - 2 hours 3 minutes ago
Visa Inc will expand its technology hub in Singapore, which will see it create about 185 new technology research and development jobs, the Business Times reported. It announced on Wednesday that it will ...
- Mexican Cartel Leader Beltran Leyva Said to Have Been Captured @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 10 minutes ago
Mexican authorities captured a suspect who they believe is drug cartel leader Hector Beltran Leyva, according to two people familiar with the arrest. The people asked not to be identified before a public ...
- [video] Ebola-Triggered Stock Selloff Will Reverse: Sri-Kumar @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 10 minutes ago
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Komal Sri-Kumar, founder and president of Sri-Kumar Global Strategies, discusses how U.S. equity investors are reacting to the Ebola threat and the Hong Kong protests. He speaks with ...
- Unfit Conclusion on CEO Fitness @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 10 minutes ago
A new study measuring the performance of companies with and without fit chief executives merits skepticism.
- [$$] Swedish Television Edits a Classic @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 11 minutes ago
Some Cuts to 'Pippi Longstocking' for Modern Audiences
- [$$] @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 11 minutes ago
Céline's models tramped around the runway in an enticing series of boxy sheaths, jumpsuits and giant-legged slacks that will be almost impossible to find in stores, if the past is any measure. In a season where designers embraced the shapes, colors and restive mood of the 1970s, Chanel's colorful models waving protest …
- [$$] Eurozone Woes Fuel Germany's Bond Bargains @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 11 minutes ago
Germany's funding costs fell to a record low at the 10-year bond auction with the yield dipping below 1%.
- Myanmar Awards Foreign Bank Licenses @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 11 minutes ago
ANZ, three Japanese banks and five others won coveted licenses to operate in Myanmar after decades in which foreign lenders were frozen out of the country.
- [$$] Financial Briefing Book @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 11 minutes ago
Bankers for the Israeli biotechnology company Vascular Biogenics Ltd., in a rare move, had canceled its initial public offering in the U.S. in August after several days of trading, citing the failure of ...
- PRESS DIGEST- Financial Times - Oct 2 Reuters - 2 hours 11 minutes ago
The following are the top stories in the Financial Times. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy. Headlines * Banks pull out of dozens of benchmarks after rate-rigging ...
- [$$] In Germany's Far East, Turning a Movie Set Into a Luxury Store @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 12 minutes ago
Why open a luxury store in one of Germany's poorest towns? Because it's on the eastern border and looking to tap big spenders from Poland and the Czech Republic.
- [$$] Daum Kakao Faces Questions Over Ability to Grow Outside South Korea @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 12 minutes ago
Daum Kakao will be a big player among South Korean technology companies, but it faces questions from investors about its ability to grow globally.
- [$$] New Pepsi Goes to Amazon @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 13 minutes ago
Pepsi True, made with sugar and stevia, will be sold exclusively through Amazon.com
- [$$] Notable & Quotable: Hong Kong's Protests @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 13 minutes ago
Sen. Robert Menendez sends a letter to Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying.
- [$$] What's at Stake in Hong Kong @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
Its people want democracy as a defense against Beijing's values.
- [$$] France 2015 Budget to Curb Spending @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
The French government presented a 2015 budget aimed at striking a delicate balance: shoring up France's finances without tipping an economy heavily reliant on public spending into recession.
- [$$] U.K.'s Cameron Promises Tax Cuts If He Wins Second Term @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron promised tax cuts and to fight for Britain's interests in Europe in a bid to woo crucial voters and assuage the rebellious right wing of his party ahead of May's general ...
- [$$] World Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
World Watch: News Digest
- MALAYSIA PRESS-Felda Global back in talks to buy New Britain Palm Oil-Business Times Reuters - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 2 (Reuters) - http://bit.ly/1rwJEia ---- NOTE: Reuters has not verified this story and does not vouch for its accuracy.
- [$$] World Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
President Ashraf Ghani ordered judicial authorities to speed up prosecution of those accused of committing fraud at Kabul Bank, Afghanistan's largest private bank. Investigators accused bank executives of giving fraudulent loans and other illicit payments of around $983 million to people, including government officials …
- [$$] Brazil Campaign Takes Twist, as Surprise Leader Silva Falls Behind @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
Marina Silva trails President Dilma Rousseff, who has targeted the Socialist Party candidate in an aggressive ad campaign.
- [$$] Hong Kong Protests Threaten Tourism @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
Pro-democracy demonstrations that have gripped Hong Kong could put a brake on some of the crucial, weeklong tourist splurge that China's National Day usually brings to the city.
- [$$] Between Beijing and Protests: Hong Kong's CEO @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 14 minutes ago
Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, who has never gained broad support among his constituents, has become a divisive character as protests have shut down part of the city.
- [$$] What's News: Business & Finance @ The Wall Street Journal - 2 hours 15 minutes ago
Pimco investors withdrew a record $23.5 billion last month from the bond firm's flagship fund, with the lion's share taking place after Gross announced his departure. Stocks tumbled on weak European economic ...
- [video] Can Japan cope with a second tax increase? @ CNBC - 2 hours 17 minutes ago
Peter Boardman, Managing Director of Tradewinds, explains what a second tax hike means for Japan's retail sector and outlines what the government could do to help firms.
- [video] Does China Need Hong Kong Too Much to Squash Protests? @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 22 minutes ago
Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Asia Society's Jamie Metzl, Cindy Fan, author of "China on the Move," and Bloomberg's Mia Saini discuss the Hong Kong protests with Pimm Fox on "Taking Stock." ...