- Cameco to Shut Down Top Uranium Mine After Talks With Union Fail @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 15 minutes ago
Cameco Corp. (CCO) said it failed to reach an agreement with unionized workers to avoid the shutdown of its McArthur River uranium mine in western Canada, the world’s largest. The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan-based uranium producer said in a statement it presented a final offer to the union bargaining committee yesterday and …
- China graft watchdog probes another exec at Volkswagen JV Reuters - 1 hour 37 minutes ago
China's anti-graft watchdog has said it is investigating a former senior executive at Volkswagen AG's Chinese venture, FAW-Volkswagen Automotive Co Ltd, for corruption, the latest target in a widening probe against the company. An Dewu, FAW's former deputy general manager, was investigated for "suspected serious violations …
- [$$] Australian Banks Warn Against Tougher Regulations @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
Australia's largest lenders defended their ability to withstand any future banking crisis and warned against further moves to strengthen the financial system, in submissions published to a government-backed ...
- [$$] Three Tools to Guard Your Calendar Priorities @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
Dan Ariely answers reader questions on crammed datebooks, free will and the world's best real estate.
- David Bowie and Quantum Mechanics @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
A British physicist and TV personality ponders the meaning of David Bowie's 'Life on Mars?'
- [$$] When the 'Internet of Things' Attacks @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
Joe Queenan wonders: What happens when our devices have minds of their own?
- Designs of the Year From the Design Museum in London @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
A floating school, a fuel-efficient concept car and other designs of the year from the Design Museum in London.
- [$$] Citic Deserves Bigger Conglomerate Discount @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
Citic Pacific's $37 billion asset injection has transformed the state-owned company into a hulking conglomerate. Investors should apply a hefty discount for a lack of diversification.
- [$$] Book Review: 'The Opium War' by Julia Lovell @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
In the Opium War, China won at most one battle—and even that was largely due to the weather.
- [$$] Children's Books: Seasonal Swoon @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
A picture book that makes the arrival of autumn positively refreshing.
- [$$] Pakistan Prime Minister Vows to Defend Democracy @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
Nawaz Sharif appears embattled a day after the country's powerful military intervened in the standoff between protesters and his government.
- [$$] The Grandma vs. The Leopard @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
When a big cat leapt at a 56-year-old rice farmer, she fought back with the sickle she uses to tend her fields.
- [$$] Tesco Issues Profit Warning, Slashes Dividend @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Tesco issued its third profit warning in as many years and said it would slash its interim dividend and reduce capital expenditure as the struggling grocery giant battles fierce competition.
- [$$] World Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Today's World Watch
- [$$] WORLD WATCH @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Today's World Watch
- [$$] Brazil Downturn Hurts Rousseff Election Hopes @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Brazil's economy fell into a technical recession and cut its growth forecast, delivering another blow to President Dilma Rousseff's re-election hopes.
- [$$] China State Banks Report Surge in Soured Loans @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 40 minutes ago
China's biggest state-owned banks reported a surge in soured and castoff loans in the first half of the year as China's slowing growth takes an increasing toll on its lenders.
- Key Minister Quits on Misconduct Allegation as N.Z. Ballot Looms @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 40 minutes ago
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key lost a senior cabinet minister today over “serious allegations” about her conduct, less than a month before his National Party-led government faces elections. Minister of Justice Judy Collins quit after allegations she undermined the then-director of the Serious Fraud Office in 2011 …
- Angry Birds Chief to Step Down @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 40 minutes ago
Finland's Angry Birds maker Rovio Entertainment has been struggling to refresh its lineup and change its revenue model.
- Ukraine Retreats in Effort to Isolate Rebel Stronghold @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 41 minutes ago
Kiev says its forces suffered a setback in trying to cut off one of the biggest remaining rebel-held strongholds as the separatists, backed by Russian forces, advanced in the east.
- [$$] Notable & Quotable: Business in China @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 41 minutes ago
Nicholas Lardy writes on China services reform in Caixin Online.
- What's News: Business & Finance @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 42 minutes ago
What's News: Business & Finance
- Macau casino dealers plan industrial action for first time Reuters - 2 hours 18 minutes ago
Casino dealers working in some of gambling hub Macau's most popular casinos are set to start industrial action on Saturday for the first time in the Chinese territory as discontent over salaries and working benefits spreads. A group of dealers working for SJM Holdings, the gaming stalwart run by the family of former Macau …
- A&E deal would price Vice at $2.5 billion @ CNNMoney.com - 3 hours ago
For Vice, it's finally paying off to cover the edgy news no one else will touch -- big time. Vice Media is in talks with A&E about a deal that would value it at more than $2.5 billion, according to a Vice ...
- Silva Opens 10-Point Lead Over Rousseff in Brazil Election Poll @ Bloomberg - 3 hours ago
Candidate Marina Silva opened a lead of 10 percentage points in a runoff vote over President Dilma Rousseff after Brazil’s economy dipped into recession, according to a Datafolha poll. Silva has 50 percent of voter support in an Oct. 26 second round vote against the incumbent, who has 40 percent, according to the Aug. …
- BRIC wall: Brazil's economy slips into a recession Associated Press - 4 hours ago
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 workers as part of $1.9-billion overhaul @ Los Angeles Times - 4 hours ago
Malaysia Airlines will cut 6,000 workers as part of a $1.9-billion overhaul announced Friday to revive its damaged brand after being hit by double passenger jet disasters.
- Ebola in Fifth Country as Sierra Leone Fires Health Chief @ Bloomberg - 4 hours ago
West Africa’s Ebola outbreak spread to a fifth country as a Guinean man tested positive for the virus in Senegal , a setback in efforts to contain the worst epidemic of the illness on record. In Sierra Leone, Miatta Kargbo, the country’s health minister and coordinator in the fight against the disease that has claimed …
- HTC's plasticky One E8 lands in the US courtesy of Sprint @ Engadget - 4 hours ago
Jonesing for a taste of the HTC One M8 lifestyle but don't have the cash to make it happen? Never fear -- Sprint has just started offering the fantastic-in-plastic HTC One E8 to customers who want M8 horsepower ...
- [video] Film Clip: 'Whiplash' @ MarketWatch - 4 hours ago
Watch a clip from the film "Whiplash," starring Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons, and Paul Reiser. Photo/Video: Sony Pictures Classics
- [video] Film Clip: 'A Walk Among the Tombstones' @ MarketWatch - 5 hours ago
Watch a clip from the film "A Walk Among the Tombstones," starring Liam Neeson, Dan Stevens, and Boyd Holbrook. Photo/Video: Universal Pictures
- Sequoia Fund Investor Day Transcript GuruFocus.com - 5 hours ago
- [video] Film Clip: 'The Drop' @ MarketWatch - 5 hours ago
Watch a clip from the film "The Drop," starring Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. Photo/Video: 20th Century Fox
- Insolvencies rise among elderly despite national decline @ Financial Times - 5 hours ago
The number of elderly people in the UK facing insurmountable debts has risen since the height of the financial crisis, countering an overall trend of declining insolvencies. While the total number of people ...
- IPhone 6 wallet may use NXP Investor's Business Daily - 5 hours ago
Apple (AAPL) is reportedly in talks with Dutch chipmaker NXP Semiconductors (NXPI) to add near-field communications technology to the iPhone 6; it would enable owners of the device to send money by wirelessly ...
- IPhone-Related News Propels Avago, NXP To New Highs @ Investor's Business Daily - 5 hours ago
A couple of foreign fabless chipmakers rallied to record highs Friday on Apple (AAPL) iPhone-related news. Avago Technologies (AVGO) gapped up and soared 8% in massive turnover, extending its gain to 26% ...
- Russia closes 12 McDonald's Investor's Business Daily - 5 hours ago
Sanitary violations have prompted Russian authorities to close a dozen McDonald's (MCD) restaurants and, reportedly, to inspect more than 100 locations of the fast-food chain. The firm said that it plans ...
- Why investment-grade debt issuance is declining Market Realist - 5 hours ago
Last week, weekly investment-grade bond (LQD) (AGG) (BND) issuance dropped sharply to just $6.16 billion over five issues. This was ~63% lower compared to the previous week. It was also the lowest weekly ...
- Brazil candidate Silva says recession a big worry Reuters - 5 hours ago
Opposition presidential candidate Marina Silva said on Friday that Brazil's recession is very worrying and her government would work to restore the credibility of the country's economic policies to recover investment and growth if elected. The Brazilian economy fell into recession in the first half of the year, a heavy …
- I.M.F. Board Backs Chief, Under Investigation in France @ The New York Times - 5 hours ago
Christine Lagarde is facing a criminal investigation in France tied to a political corruption inquiry dating from 2008.
- [$$] Bombardier's CSeries Has Setback @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Bombardier's CSeries jetliner has suffered another setback as Sweden's Braathens Aviation said it will step back from its role as the plane's first operator and may seek other changes to delivery plans....
- Swedish carrier backs out as first Bombardier CSeries operator Reuters - 6 hours ago
Bombardier Inc's troubled aerospace business faces more upheaval as a Swedish carrier backed out as the first customer to start commercial flights with its new CSeries jet and the Canadian firm said more senior aerospace executives will be laid off. Malmo Aviation, owned by Sweden's Braathens Aviation, was slated to be …
- Nasdaq stocks posting largest volume increases Associated Press - 6 hours ago
A look at the 10 biggest volume gainers on Nasdaq at the close of trading: Cadiz Inc. : Approximately 461,600 shares changed hands, a 682.6 percent increase over its 65-day average volume. The shares rose ...
- Despite Regulation, Transparency and Competition, Aetna Looks Competitive in the Industry GuruFocus.com - 6 hours ago
In this article, let's take a look at Aetna Inc. (AET), a $29.05 billion market cap company that offers a broad range of traditional, voluntary and consumer-directed health insurance products and related ...
- Cramer: As September looms, 3 stocks to watch @ CNBC - 6 hours ago
The market is moving into a time of year that's been difficult for bulls, historically. However, if the market does sell off, Cramer won't cry.
- U.K. Wants EU to Block Russia From SWIFT Banking Network Bloomberg - 6 hours ago
The U.K. will press European Union leaders to consider blocking Russian access to the SWIFT banking transaction system under an expansion of sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine, a British government official said. The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, known as SWIFT, is one of Russia's main …
- [video] Russian Troops Fighting in Ukraine Right Now: Gen. Clark @ Bloomberg - 6 hours ago
Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) –- Retired U.S. Army General Wesley Clark discusses President Obama’s strategy in dealing with the Islamic State in Iraq and the situation in Ukraine. He speaks on "Street Smart." ...
- Italy's Renzi tries new reform plan as economy sinks Reuters - 6 hours ago
Prime Minister Matteo Renzi on Friday presented a plan to quicken the pace of Italian justice and break down bureaucratic obstacles to investment as fresh data pointed to a further deterioration in Italy's recession bound economy. The 39-year-old prime minister, due to attend a European Union summit in Brussels on Saturday, …
- Small-cap Week, August 30 @ Financial Times - 6 hours ago
New World Resources, the Czech coal miner, rose 12.1 per cent on Friday after bondholders in the company approved a capital restructuring. Shareholders had already signed off on the deal, which saw the ...
- The internet of things requires connectivity first, but it needs people too @ Gigaom - 6 hours ago
The internet of things may make our homes smarter and our car insurance more variable, but it might not mean the end of human intervention in business processes as some fear.