- Mobile Marketplace Carousell Raises $6M Series A Led By Sequoia Capital @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
Carousell, a mobile app marketplace that lets sellers upload items with a few taps on their smartphones, has raised $6 million in Series A funding led by Sequoia Capital. The Singaporean startup’s existing investors, Rakuten Ventures, Golden Gate Ventures, 500 Startups, and serial entrepreneur Darius Cheung, also returned …
- European Parliament Backs Investigation To Split Google Search From Its Other Businesses @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
A little Thanksgiving message from the European Parliament today: they support the idea of breaking up Google.While the search giant was not mentioned by name, members voted 384 to 174 (with 56 abstentions) in favor of a set of measures encouraged to drive more tech growth across the European Union.Among those measures: …
- Zano Is A Sky Selfie Micro-Drone That Flies Itself @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
Holy autonomous micro-drones batman! Wondering how you’re going to line up your next dronie? Aka a selfie taken from up high by a passing UAV so you don’t get a photo of yourself remote controlling a drone… Well, never fear: a U.K.-based firm is building a micro-drone that flies itself so you can stand around looking n …
- Goldman Sachs Invests $36M In Korean Food Delivery App Baedal Minjok @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
Seoul’s startup industry has been awash with major funding news over the past few weeks. Earlier this month, Yello Mobile and game developer 4:33 Creative Lab Game Studio each disclosed that they had raised $100 million or more.Now Seoul-based startup Woowa Brothers, which operates food delivery app Baedal Minjok, has announced that …
- From The Farm To The Head Of Web Summit’s Table @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
Editor’s Note: Ping Wong is currently Secretary General of the Internet Society Hong Kong.Earlier this month I was at Dublin’s Web Summit, one of the largest global technology conferences in the world. Only four years ago the same event drew only 400 participants, and this year I joined more than 22,000 attendees for what …
- This Week On The TC Gadgets Podcast: BlackFriday! @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
We’re bringing this podcast to you a little early so you can arm yourself before going into Black Friday! Join Greg Kumparak, Matt Burns, and Darrell Etherington as we skewer Zelda and talk about the best laptops for your money! We invite you to enjoy our weekly podcasts every Friday at 3 p.m. Eastern and noon Pacific. …
- MOCAheart Makes Keeping Track Of Your Heart’s Vital Signs Easy @ TechCrunch - 6 minutes ago
MOCAheart wants to make keeping track of your cardiovascular health as easy as pressing a button.The device, which is currently on Kickstarter, was developed by a team led by Naama Stauber and Dr. Daniel Hong, who was a physician at National Taiwan University Hospital, one of the country’s top teaching hospitals, before …
- Japan inflation slows in October, highlights challenge facing Abe Reuters - 8 minutes ago
Japan's annual core consumer inflation slowed for a third straight month in October due to falling oil prices, highlighting the economic gloom facing Premier Shinzo Abe as he campaigns for a new mandate ...
- Australian Cricketer Phil Hughes Dies After Blow to Head @ The Wall Street Journal - 18 minutes ago
Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes died on Thursday, two days after being struck on the head by a cricket ball during a match in Sydney.
- ‘The Babadook’ Review: Pop-Up Paranoia @ The Wall Street Journal - 18 minutes ago
In Jennifer Kent’s directorial debut, a mother and her child share their fear of a monster from a pop-up book.
- ‘Penguins of Madagascar’ Review: The Culture of Cute @ The Wall Street Journal - 18 minutes ago
The breakout birds from the ‘Madagascar’ series get their own movie.
- ‘Imitation Game’ Review: Superb Acting, Scrambled Source Code @ The Wall Street Journal - 18 minutes ago
Benedict Cumberbatch portrays Alan Turing, the English mathematician who broke Nazi Germany’s Enigma Code.
- Mark Wahlberg Bets Big on ‘The Gambler’ @ The Wall Street Journal - 18 minutes ago
Mark Wahlberg prepared for the title role in the new film, ‘The Gambler,’ by dropping 60 pounds to portray a college professor who gets in over his head at the casino.
- There’s No Recession at Japan Inc. @ The Wall Street Journal - 19 minutes ago
Japanese companies have remained profitable despite a technical recession, a sign that Japan’s fortunes may not be as bad as they seem.
- OPEC’s Weapon of Mass Inaction @ The Wall Street Journal - 19 minutes ago
OPEC’s decision not to cut oil output targets lets Saudi Arabia squeeze rivals on several fronts—including within the cartel’s own ranks.
- Yes, Virginia, There Is a Stock Rally @ The Wall Street Journal - 19 minutes ago
Ahead of the Tape: December’s ‘Santa Claus rally’ appears to have gotten better with age, as the past five years have seen the S&P 500 gain nearly 2.5% on average during the month.
- China Close to Launching Bank Deposit Insurance @ The Wall Street Journal - 20 minutes ago
China’s central bank is readying a plan to set up a bank deposit-insurance system that would pave the way for eventually allowing banks to freely compete for depositors.
- Macquarie Group, Kuwait’s Sovereign-Wealth Fund to Buy E.On’s Spanish Assets @ The Wall Street Journal - 20 minutes ago
German power utility E.ON has agreed to sell its Spanish assets to Australia’s Macquarie Group and Kuwait’s sovereign-wealth fund in a deal worth $3.1 billion.
- U.K. Lawmakers Recommend Scotland Gains Power to Levy Income Tax @ The Wall Street Journal - 23 minutes ago
A panel of U.K. lawmakers has recommended that Scotland’s parliament be given new powers to levy taxes, a further step toward greater autonomy for the nation that only narrowly voted to stay in the U.K. ...
- World Watch: News Digest @ The Wall Street Journal - 23 minutes ago
Two Hong Kong student protest leaders were released on bail, a day after their arrest in a police operation to clear a protest site.
- Hamas Terror Ring Uncovered in West Bank @ The Wall Street Journal - 23 minutes ago
Israel said it uncovered a network of Hamas militants in the West Bank, part of what security authorities say is a push by the Palestinian Islamist group to revive attacks beyond the Gaza Strip.
- Corrections & Amplifications @ The Wall Street Journal - 24 minutes ago
Corrections & Amplifications for the edition of Nov. 28, 2014.
- Long-Lived Rock: AC/DC Persists @ The Wall Street Journal - 24 minutes ago
After more than 40 years of defiant, high-decibel rock, AC/DC is facing big challenges, just as the band is about to release a studio album, “Rock or Bust.”
- Good or Bad? Oil Slide Poses Conundrum as Japan Seeks Inflation Bloomberg - 24 minutes ago
When a country imports almost all its energy, a slide in oil prices to a four-year low should be helpful -- cutting costs for companies and households. For Japan, it may not be so simple. The reliance ...
- Bank shares gain; SBI jumps 4 percent Reuters - 43 minutes ago
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in banks gain ahead of RBI policy review due on Dec. 2. Traders say the gains are in anticipation of a rate cut. India's GDP growth to slow to 5.1 pct, but no rate cut yet, ...
- Dwi Soetjipto To Head Indonesia's Pertamina @ The Wall Street Journal - 47 minutes ago
Cement industry veteran Dwi Soetjipto will be named new head of Indonesia's state-owned oil and gas company Pertamina, entering the sector at a time when Indonesian oil production is at it lowest level ...
- EM ASIA FX-Ringgit near 5-yr low as oil plunges; Asia FX down in Nov Reuters - 48 minutes ago
* Ringgit may head to 3.4295/dollar * Malaysia intervention spotted to curb ringgit loss-traders * Won to see longest monthly losing streak since 2008 crisis (Adds text, updates prices) By Jongwoo Cheon ...
- Staff fear the chop in Samsung Electronics annual reshuffle Reuters - 57 minutes ago
- Malaysia's Sime Darby Q1 net profit rises 2.4 pct Reuters - 58 minutes ago
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Sime Darby Bhd, the world's largest listed palm oil producer, reported on Friday a 2.4 percent rise in first-quarter net profit driven by gains at its plantation business. ...
- Brent near four-year low after OPEC decides against output cut Reuters - 59 minutes ago
- Japan Will Reach 2% Inflation Target in 2017: Chan @ Bloomberg - 59 minutes ago
Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) –- NAB Private Wealth Advisory Investment Director Norman Chan discusses Japan’s economy, the country’s latest economic data, investing in India and how he’s advising his customers ...
- Staff fear the chop in Samsung Elec annual reshuffle Reuters - 1 hour 15 minutes ago
Insiders say staff at Samsung Electronics have never been so anxious ahead of the annual reshuffle, as a weak smartphone performance and its worst earnings in three years are expected to cost many jobs. ...
- China Deposit Insurance Risks Liquidity for Small Banks @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
China ’s plan to introduce a deposit insurance program may exacerbate a liquidity shortage at smaller banks and increase their chance of failure as savings shift to the biggest state-controlled lenders. ...
- Rupee falls, tracking broad dollar gains Reuters - 1 hour 33 minutes ago
Reuters Market Eye - The rupee is trading at 61.91/92, slightly higher compared with Thursday's 61.8750/8850 close. Month-end dollar demand from importers is likely to hurt the Indian unit. Gains in shares ...
- Sensex, Nifty hit record high ahead of GDP data, RBI Reuters - 1 hour 48 minutes ago
- JGBs capped by Nikkei gains, 2-year yield slips below zero Reuters - 1 hour 49 minutes ago
Yields on Japanese two-year government bonds fell below zero for the first time on Friday as the central bank continued to struggle to reflate the economy, while most other issues were steady, with gains ...
- Asian shares wither as OPEC's restraint hits oil Reuters - 1 hour 53 minutes ago
- Gold extends losses to third day as oil slumps Reuters - 2 hours 2 minutes ago
- China Overtakes Japan as World’s Second-Biggest Stock Market Bloomberg - 2 hours 2 minutes ago
China surpassed Japan as the world's second-largest stock market for the first time in three years amid growing investor confidence that policy makers in Beijing will revive the economy with monetary stimulus. ...
- Indonesian Bonds Head for Second Monthly Gain After Subsidy Cut @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 12 minutes ago
Indonesian sovereign bonds headed for a second monthly advance, pushing the 10-year yield to a one-year low, after the government cut fuel subsidies. Gasoline and diesel price rises took effect Nov. 18, ...
- Calls For India To Cut Interest Rates Grow Louder @ Barrons.com - 2 hours 21 minutes ago
The Indian economy likely slowed down in the third-quarter, according to economists polled by Bloomberg. The street forecasts a 5.1% growth, slower than the second quarter's 5.7%. India will report its ...
- Youth Don’t Have a Voice in Japan Politics: Saito @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 25 minutes ago
Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) –- Intecur President and CEO William Saito discusses Japan’s online debate between Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his political rivals and how they plan to attract young voters with ...
- China Solar Project Delays Mean Japan Could Be Largest Market @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
China risks being displaced as the world’s largest solar market as measured by annual installations after some project approvals were postponed. “There isn’t enough time to achieve the target,” Li Junfeng, ...
- RBI Won't Cut Rates This Year, Nomura's Subbaraman Says @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 32 minutes ago
Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Robert Subbaraman, chief economist for Asia excluding Japan at Nomura Holdings Inc. in Singapore, talks about India's economy and central bank policy. Subbaraman also discusses the ...
- China Surpasses Japan as #2 Equity Market @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 35 minutes ago
Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) –- For the first time in three years, China surpasses Japan as the world’s second-largest equity market. Bloomberg’s Yvonne Man reports on “On The Move.” (Source: Bloomberg)
- Tokyo Building Sale Shows ’07 Prices Return, Credit Suisse Says @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 41 minutes ago
Mitsubishi Estate Co. (8802) ’s 159 ($1.34 billion) sale of a building in Tokyo’s most expensive business district shows that commercial property prices have surpassed their 2007 peak, according to Credit ...
- Hollande to visit Ebola-hit Guinea @ BBC News - 2 hours 58 minutes ago
- Brazil's Pres Dilma Picks Market Friendly Economic Team @ Forbes - 3 hours ago
Ex-Treasury Secreteary Levy to replace Mantega as Brazil's Finance Minister. Central Bank governor remains at post.
- Toyota, Daihatsu Recall More Vehicles Over Airbags @ Bloomberg - 3 hours ago
Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) –- Japanese car makers have recalled more vehicles over faulty airbags, with Toyota and Daihatsu checking more than 100K cars between them. Bloomberg’s Craig Trudell reports on “On ...
- BAIC Motor to Test Appetite for IPO @ The Wall Street Journal - 3 hours ago
BAIC Motor Corp, a Chinese car maker partly owned by Daimler AG, is planning to start gauging investors’ interest next week in an initial public offering which could raise in between US$1.2 billion and ...