- Why acquiring Twitch would have made sense for Google Market Realist - 40 minutes ago
In the previous parts of this series, we discussed why Twitch agreed to sell itself to Amazon (AMZN). But Twitch was an attractive acquisition target for many companies.
- Biotech stocks buoyed by bullish broker UBS @ Financial Times - 2 hours 0 minutes ago
US biotech stocks were buoyed on Tuesday after brokerage UBS lifted price targets for a swathe of companies in the sector on its view that new medications and potential merger and acquisition activity ...
- 1-800-Flowers.com buys Harry & David for $142.5M @ USA TODAY - 4 hours ago
The flower-delivery firm's shares jump on the news.
- 1-800-Flowers to buy Harry & David @ Los Angeles Times - 4 hours ago
1-800-Flowers.com Inc. is adding more fruit to its floral gifting empire.
- Airlines Take Flight as Oil Falls; United Continental Named Top Pick @ Barrons.com - 4 hours ago
Stocks are falling today but that hasn't stopped airline stocks like American Airlines (AAL), Delta Air Lines (DAL) and United Continental (UAL) from taking flight. The reason: falling oil prices. WTI ...
- Google renames its commercial services in play for more corporate business @ San Jose Mercury News - 4 hours ago
Google says it sees big opportunity in selling online software and data-center capacity to business customers
- Luxottica's Del Vecchio eyes acquisitions upon his return @ Financial Times - 7 hours ago
Shake-up in sunglasses Leonardo Del Vecchio, 79-year-old founder and executive chairman of the global eyewear group behind Ray-Ban and Oakley, has acquisitions in his sights and plans to double the group's ...
- Norwegian Cruise Line to buy Oceania, Regent Seven Seas @ USA TODAY - 7 hours ago
The deal creates a cruise company with more than 20 vessels.
- Will Burger King shareholders benefit from the Tim Hortons merger? Market Realist - Mon, Sep 1, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
Burger King (BKW) shareholders will receive 0.99 of a share of the new company and “0.01 of a unit of a newly formed Ontario limited partnership, which will be controlled by the new parent company,” according ...
- Why Burger King and Tim Hortons customers shouldn’t dread a merger Market Realist - Mon, Sep 1, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
The Burger King (BKW) and Tim Hortons (THI) brands will each be managed independently and will also operate as standalone brands.
- Perform Group surges on offer from Access Industries @ Financial Times - Mon, Sep 1, 2014 7:29 AM EDT
Shares in Perform, the sports media group, surged 26 per cent on Monday after Access Industries announced its intention to buy all the shares in the FTSE 250 company that it does not already own at a valuation ...
- Wolverton: With wireless competition heating up, time to thank the FCC @ San Jose Mercury News - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 9:10 PM EDT
Over the past three years, opposition from the FCC has helped quash two potential megamergers in the cellphone industry, inspiring companies to compete ever harder for your business.
- Merger must-read: Why Burger King decided to acquire Tim Hortons Market Realist - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
The deal is structured as a “so-called tax inversion,” according to the Wall Street Journal. In a tax inversion structure, a company receiving significant income from its foreign operations will likely ...
- Fiat investor tally shows Chrysler deal on course Associated Press - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 7:49 AM EDT
ROME (AP) — Fiat says an ongoing tally of investors suggests there are not enough opposed to a merger with Chrysler to derail the deal.
- Bill de Blasio vs. Rahm Emanuel on Comcast-Time Warner Deal The Fiscal Times - Fri, Aug 29, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
The first deadline for interested parties to file formal comments with the Federal Communications Commission regarding the proposed $45 billion merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable passed earlier this week, and the roster of those who chimed in on the deal was impressive — and, in some regards, impressively divided. …
- Burger King and Tim Hortons investors react to acquisition news Market Realist - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 3:01 PM EDT
On Monday, August 26, Burger King closed 19.5% up at $32.40 from the previous close of $27.11 on August 22. Tim Hortons jumped 19%, closing at $74.72 from the previous close of $62.84.
- How Much Can RadioShack Expect to Get From Standard General? 24/7 Wall St. - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
RadioShack shares are still soaring on Thursday after reports that shareholder Standard General may offer rescue financing.
- Burger King Shareholders Can Dodge a Whopper of a Tax Bill @ Kiplinger - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
The Burger King/Tim Hortons merger is structured to let shareholders have it their way when it comes to taxes.
- Bouygues: Hang ups @ Financial Times - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 11:56 AM EDT
Bouygues, the French construction-to-telecoms conglomerate, faithfully reflects the dismal performance of its domestic economy. Adjusting for one-off gains, first-half operating profits collapsed by more ...
- Monitise signs partnership deal with IBM @ Financial Times - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 2:48 PM EDT
British mobile money company Monitise has signed a partnership agreement with IBM in the latest sign that technology groups are pushing further into the lucrative financial services sector. News of the ...
- Locals tap oil majors' Niger delta retreat @ Financial Times - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 1:57 PM EDT
Royal Dutch Shell's planned sale of some of its Nigerian oilfields to domestic buyers for $5bn highlights the rising importance of Nigeria's indigenous oil companies - one of the fastest-growing segments ...
- Tim Hortons' Canadian roots run deep @ Financial Times - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 1:39 PM EDT
Tim Hortons took out a double-page ad in Canada's largest national newspaper on Wednesday featuring two identical cups of coffee and the words, "before" and "after". Its aim was to ...
- Rivals raise the heat in Brazil telecoms @ Financial Times - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 1:11 PM EDT
The battle for Brazil's telecoms market is set to intensify after one of the country's largest phone companies signalled it may buy a stake in Telecom Italia's local mobile business. Oi, Brazil's biggest ...
- Brazilian telecoms: Oi vey @ Financial Times - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 12:32 PM EDT
Such a busy year for Oi, Brazil's second biggest phone company by market capitalisation. First it bought Portugal Telecom in May, funding that with a R$8bn rights issue. Then on Wednesday it announced ...
- Dollar General Earnings Preview: In the Shadow of Possible Mergers 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 11:20 AM EDT
Dollar General is set to report earnings on Thursday morning before the market opens.
- Nutanix raises $140 million as it readies for 2015 IPO @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 11:00 AM EDT
San Jose-based Nutanix announced a new round of funding Wednesday that pushes its value to more than $2 billion.
- Chain of Thrones: Burger King and Tim Hortons Stronger After Joining Forces @ Morningstar - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Merger agreement puts Canadian restaurant in the Top 3 and enhances its moat.
- Balfour Beatty public-private portfolio valued at more than £1bn @ Financial Times - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 4:41 AM EDT
Balfour Beatty has announced that its public-private portfolio has increased in value to more than £1bn in figures delayed by Carillion's failed takeover bid. The company had been expected to release a ...
- Will Burger King get burned by Canada move? @ USA TODAY - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 1:10 AM EDT
Burger King to merge with Tim Hortons in $11 billion deal.
- Warren Buffett is 'betting against America' on Burger King. Or is he? @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 4:15 PM EDT
Back in February, in his annual message to shareholders in his company Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffett said this:
- Why Burger King Is Really Buying Tim Hortons (It's Not About the Taxes) @ BusinessWeek - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 3:26 PM EDT
This is straight-up growth-by-acquisition, a favorite of the private equity firm that controls Burger King
- Food ETF Hits High On Merger News Benzinga - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 1:32 PM EDT
The United States' second-largest burger chain Burger King Worldwide (NYSE: BKW ) officially announced it would be buying Canadian coffee and bake shop Tim Hortons (NYSE: THI ) Tuesday morning. The acquisition ...
- Burger King: Doughnuts are sugary @ Financial Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 1:13 PM EDT
The Brazilian investment firm that owns most of Burger King (and acquired HJ Heinz last year), 3G Capital, is well known for its parsimony. After it took control of the burger chain in 2010 it cut corporate ...
- Buffett defends Burger King's tax deal @ Financial Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 10:19 AM EDT
Warren Buffett has defended his involvement in a controversial tax inversion deal that will transfer Burger King's headquarters to Canada, as part of its $11.4bn acquisition of coffee and doughnuts chain ...
- What You Need to Know About The Burger King/Tim Hortons Deal Benzinga - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 10:09 AM EDT
Fast food giant Burger King (NYSE: BKW ) is going shopping north of the border, buying Tim Hortons (NYSE: THI ), Canada's most popular coffee and doughnut chain. If the merger closes it will Tim Hortons' ...
- Tech Five: Amazon up slightly after Twitch deal @ USA TODAY - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 9:25 AM EDT
Company acquired streaming service for video game players.
- Navios’ presence in the container business supports its growth Market Realist - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
NMM currently has five container vessels of 6,800 TEU—namely Hyundai—in Hong Kong, Singapore,Tokyo, Shanghai, and Busan. The company's recent container ship acquisition provided it an acquisition deal ...
- Amazon gains valuable entertainment asset with purchase of Twitch @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 10:24 PM EDT
Amazon.com is already a go-to destination for shoppers, bookworms, and music and movie fans. Now it'll also be the virtual home for millions of hard-core video gamers.
- Burger King, Tim Hortons shares soar on deal talks @ USA TODAY - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 9:31 PM EDT
Company could shave tax bill by moving headquarters to Canada in tax inversion deal.
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons, move headquarters to Canada @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 9:13 PM EDT
Burger King Worldwide Inc. is looking north to expand, launching acquisition talks with Canadian coffee-and-doughnut chain Tim Hortons Inc. and rekindling the political debate over offshore tax shifting....
- Amazon to acquire Twitch for nearly $1 billion @ USA TODAY - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 5:49 PM EDT
Streaming site had been target of acquisition by Google.
- Amazon to buy video-streaming site Twitch for nearly $1 billion @ San Jose Mercury News - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 5:22 PM EDT
Google had reportedly sought to buy Twitch, which draws more than 50 million monthly viewers to chat and watch live webcasts of other people playing their favorite video games.
- JANA Partners adds new position in Charter Communication Market Realist - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 5:09 PM EDT
JANA Partners' 13F filing revealed a brand new position in Charter Communication (CHTR) that accounts for 1.64% of JANA's 2Q14 portfolio. Charter Communication is a cable operator that provides services ...
- Hard to swallow? Burger King may move to Canada Associated Press - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 4:55 PM EDT
- S&P 500 Hits 2,000 Milestone As Bullish Momentum Continues Benzinga - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 4:49 PM EDT
U.S. stocks were higher on Monday as the S&P 500 traded above the 2,000 mark for the first time ever, creating a new historical intra-day high of 2001.94. The S&P 500's milestone came on a relatively quiet ...
- Amazon Buys Twitch For $970M, Says Will Expand Offering To Gaming World Benzinga - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 4:42 PM EDT
Twitch Interactive will be acquired by Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) for $970 million in an all-cash deal. This announcement came as a surprise to investors after months of a rumored takeover by Google (NASDAQ: ...
- Amazon confirms it will buy Twitch for $970 million @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 4:36 PM EDT
Sorry, YouTube. Amazon.com is the winning bidder for Twitch, the hugely popular online platform for video gamers.
- Burger King and Tim Hortons soar on merger talks @ Financial Times - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 3:45 PM EDT
Shares in Burger King and Tim Hortons soared on Monday after the companies revealed they were working on a merger that would create a powerhouse in the fast-food industry. Burger King, which would use ...
- Amazon Traders Don’t Flinch on Rumor of $1B Twitch Buy StockTwits - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 2:45 PM EDT
Wall Street wasn\\\'t sure what to make of reports that Amazon has agreed to buy video gaming platform Twitch for more than $1 billion.
- S&P 500 climbs past 2,000 for first time, then falls back @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 2:01 PM EDT
The stock market hit a new milestone Monday.