- Investing: Get a little exotic with these funds @ USA TODAY - Fri, Jan 30, 2015 10:35 AM EST
Sometimes, exotic species do well.
- For Passive Funds, a Stronger Link Between Fees and Performance @ Morningstar - Wed, Jan 28, 2015 7:00 AM EST
When it comes to fund performance, you don't always get what you pay for.
- Buy the Unloved 2015 @ Morningstar - Tue, Jan 27, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Going against the grain of flows can be a profitable strategy.
- Alibaba Is A Favorite Holding Even For U.S.-Focused Funds Benzinga - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 2:22 PM EST
There's plenty of news coming from the World Economic Forum, taking place in Davos, Switzerland. On Friday, Jack Ma, executive chairman of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE: BABA ), speaking at a forum in ...
- Vanguard Convertible Securities Manager to Retire @ Morningstar - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 11:30 AM EST
A deep bench, a consistent process, and low fees should keep this Gold-rated fund on track.
- The Most Unloved Medalists of 2014 @ Morningstar - Mon, Jan 26, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Should investors be showing these funds more love?
- Announcing the Morningstar Fund Managers of the Year for 2014 @ Morningstar - Wed, Jan 21, 2015 1:00 PM EST
Success starts with teamwork for this year's winners.
- Virtus Investment's 'AlphaSector' Funds, Run With F-Squared, See Persistent Outflows @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 20, 2015 2:53 PM EST
Virtus Investment Partners' (VRTS) "AlphaSector" mutual funds suffered more outflows in December, a sign that investors have cooled on sub-adviser F-Squared Investments, which recently admitted ...
- Is My Target-Date Fund Layering On Extra Fees? @ Morningstar - Tue, Jan 20, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Some funds that invest in other funds charge additional fees, and here's how you can tell.
- Pale Yale: What the Yale Model Can't Teach You @ Morningstar - Sun, Jan 18, 2015 7:00 AM EST
The situations of the Yale Endowment Fund and most individual investors are worlds apart.
- Readers' Picks For Fund Managers of the Year @ Morningstar - Sun, Jan 18, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Many agree with Morningstar's picks--with a few notable exceptions.
- JPMorgan Cuts T. Rowe Price To Sell, Says Volatile Market Taking A Toll @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jan 16, 2015 1:05 PM EST
Shares of T. Rowe Price (TROW) were lower Friday afternoon, following a downgrade from JPMorgan. Analyst Kenneth Worthington cut his rating on the stock from Overweight to Underweight, and lowered his target price on the stock by $12, to $78. Worthington writes that he thinks investors should reduce their exposure to …
- Time for Tax Fairness for Fund Investors @ Morningstar - Fri, Jan 16, 2015 7:00 AM EST
The carried interest loophole for hedge funds should be closed, with the proceeds helping to pay for removal of the punitive taxes borne by fund investors.
- 5 things fund investors should know for 2015 @ USA TODAY - Thu, Jan 15, 2015 8:49 AM EST
Hot funds, bad funds, new funds for the new year.
- Oil, Cuba, and Russia, Oh My! @ Morningstar - Thu, Jan 15, 2015 7:00 AM EST
A surprising December capped off a decent year for most CEFs.
- 6 Consistent Mutual Funds You Can Count on @ Kiplinger - Mon, Jan 12, 2015 5:50 PM EST
In the world of mutual funds, slow and steady wins the race. By measuring for consistently good performance, along with factors that we always look for in good funds, such as a disciplined stock-picking ...
- Analyst Rating Changes for December @ Morningstar - Mon, Jan 12, 2015 7:00 AM EST
Three upgrades, five downgrades, and three new ratings.
- Barron's Recap: Mutual Fund Quarterly Benzinga - Sun, Jan 11, 2015 2:40 PM EST
This weekend in Barron's online: the latest mutual fund quarterly, why the bull run is not dead yet, as well as the prospects for Best Buy, Plum Creek Timber and more. Cover Story " Return of the ...
- Fund Costs: The Good and Bad News @ Morningstar - Fri, Jan 9, 2015 7:00 AM EST
The overall trend is great, but 401(k)s remain a problem.
- Fund Basics: Time to Ditch Your Fund? @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 7, 2015 6:30 PM EST
Learn to tell the difference between a fund that's hit a speedbump and one that's dropped out of the race completely.
- The Basics of Investing in Mutual Funds @ Kiplinger - Wed, Jan 7, 2015 6:30 PM EST
Learn how funds work and how to use them to set up a well balanced portfolio that's right for you.
- Bond fund giant Pimco has $150.3 billion in outflows in 2014 @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Jan 6, 2015 9:43 PM EST
Investors withdrew a record $150.3 billion from bond fund giant Pacific Investment Management Co. last year, lashing back against weak performance at the flagship Pimco Total Return Fund as well as management ...
- Close-ended funds show slower growth Market Realist - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 3:16 PM EST
The assets under management in close-ended funds nearly doubled from $147 billion in 1996. This is much slower than the growth of the asset management sector, which grew nearly 4.6 times in the same period....
- Close-ended funds: A niche product for wealthy investors Market Realist - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 3:16 PM EST
Close-ended funds are a cross between actively managed mutual funds and ETFs. But the cost of trading in close-ended funds is much higher.
- Show it: How mutual funds make money Market Realist - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 3:12 PM EST
In return for investing a client’s money, mutual funds charge a fee, generally an annual fee set as a percentage of the client’s assets. This fee is the only source of income for a mutual fund-focused ...
- The salient features of mutual funds Market Realist - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 3:12 PM EST
There are investors who are willing to take on higher risk to generate above-average market returns. For these investors, active funds offer the optimal investment avenue.
- What are mutual funds all about? Market Realist - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 3:11 PM EST
Globally, mutual fund assets totaled approximately $30 trillion at the end of 2013. The US accounted for $15 trillion of this amount, or 50%, making it the world's most important mutual fund market.
- 5 Great Load Funds for 2015 @ Kiplinger - Wed, Dec 31, 2014 10:30 AM EST
If you can invest in load funds without paying the extra charge, consider these picks from American and Franklin Templeton.
- Pimco fires fund manager after exchange fines him for improper trades @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Dec 30, 2014 5:06 PM EST
Pacific Investment Management Co. said it dismissed the money manager of two small funds after he was fined by a self-regulatory body for making improper trades.
- Understand Money Funds' Risks @ Kiplinger - Mon, Dec 29, 2014 5:20 PM EST
Shrink your chances of losing money by learning how to pick the best funds for you.
- More Winners and Losers Among Funds With Morningstar Analyst Ratings @ Morningstar - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 7:00 AM EST
A look at a few unusual performance and sales patterns among our Morningstar Medalists.
- Bill Gross, Pimco, and Everything Else in 2014 @ Barrons.com - Sat, Dec 20, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Fund Scope|Scoreboard This was a year of surprisingly salacious gossip in the mutual-fund industry. Early on in 2014, Mohamed El-Erian announced he was leaving Pimco, beginning a spiral of recrimination, ...
- 2 Funds Calling In With Top BlackBerry Ownership Benzinga - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:13 PM EST
It's not unusual for a stock to show obvious volatility on a daily chart. But even the weekly chart of BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY ) indicates a stock that's prone to wide price swings, and may be difficult ...
- Nearing the End of a Decent Year in CEFs @ Morningstar - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Falling oil prices buffet some CEFs, but many have turned out strong returns so far this year.
- T. Rowe Price Remains on Top @ Morningstar - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Departures of investment staff are worth watching, though.
- The SEC Targets Bond Funds @ Morningstar - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 1:00 AM EST
And it's about time.
- Manager Departures and Portfolio Shifts Meant Ratings Changes in November @ Morningstar - Mon, Dec 15, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Also, a target-date series cuts its fees.
- Target-Date Pros and Cons @ Morningstar - Fri, Dec 12, 2014 7:00 AM EST
All-in-one retirement funds offer convenience and professional money management, but they may not be for everyone.
- Whatever Your Portfolio Approach, These Funds Can Help @ Morningstar - Fri, Dec 12, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Whether you want an all-in-one fund or are worried about tax implications or volatility, we've got fund picks for you.
- 2020 Target-Date Funds Hang Tough @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 11, 2014 4:20 PM EST
These retirement funds lost less than the market during the recent downturn.
- ETFs Are Not Always Cheaper @ Morningstar - Wed, Dec 10, 2014 7:00 AM EST
On an asset-weighted basis, institutional mutual fund share classes are lower than ETFs' in all but one Morningstar Category.
- 4 Funds Whose 10-Year Records Really Are the Whole Story @ Morningstar - Tue, Dec 9, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These Morningstar Medalists are easy to read.
- Janus fund assets rise 100-fold since Bill Gross took over @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Dec 8, 2014 7:16 PM EST
In the realm of fixed-income investments, dethroned Pimco bond king Bill Gross still commands a healthy measure of respect as he settles in at a freewheeling Janus Capital mutual fund.
- Quant Funds' Strong Run Continues @ Morningstar - Mon, Dec 8, 2014 7:00 AM EST
But few proven choices exist.
- Beyond profits: Millennials embrace investing for social good @ Los Angeles Times - Sun, Dec 7, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Once she gets her MBA degree from UC Berkeley in May, Leigh Madeira's dream is to help find funding for young companies devoted to improving the lives of the world's poor.
- These Funds Have Transportation Stocks On Board Benzinga - Fri, Dec 5, 2014 10:27 AM EST
With lower oil prices in the headlines , stocks of various transportation sub-industries have been diverging. For example, trucking, airline and air freight stocks, on the whole, have been rising. Railroads, ...
- Don't Put Up With Big Capital Gains Payouts @ Morningstar - Thu, Dec 4, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Taxable investors: There is a better way.
- 2 Funds With Plenty To Tweet About Benzinga - Wed, Dec 3, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Shares of Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) were never able to take wing on the first trading day of the fourth quarter. The stock sputtered 6.47 percent on news that top executives, including CEO Dick Costolo ...
- 4 Small Funds That Are Worth a Look @ Morningstar - Wed, Dec 3, 2014 7:00 AM EST
We hunt down medalist funds with the ability to be nimble.
- Tiffany Shares Sprinkle Some Sparkle On These 2 Funds Benzinga - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 4:14 PM EST
Recessions or not, people keep buying stuff. And some of the stuff they buy glitters, sparkles, shines and carries a hefty price tag. Tiffany & Co. (NYSE: TIF ) has been steadily growing its sales and ...