- Don't Chase These Hot Performers @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These funds did well in 2013 but aren't poised to continue their streaks.
- Investors' miscues sap returns -- again @ USA TODAY - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Buying and selling at the wrong time means lower returns all the time
- Mind the Gap 2014 @ Morningstar - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Some investors get caught leaning the wrong way, again.
- Discipline Gives DFA Its Edge @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 25, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Focus and low costs set Dimensional apart.
- 8 Recent Changes in Analyst Ratings @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 24, 2014 7:00 AM EST
A host of factors drove these upgrades and downgrades.
- Retirement Q&A: 'To' or 'through'? @ USA TODAY - Sun, Feb 23, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Does your target date manage to retirement, or through it? There's a big difference.
- The Error-Proof Portfolio: For Near-Term Reserves, True Cash Isn't Trash @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 17, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Ultrashort funds come with limited upside and more risk than competing alternatives--at least for now.
- [$$] M&A Funds: Sexy and Steady @ Barrons.com - Sat, Feb 8, 2014 2:50 AM EST
Arbitrage has a risky—even sexy—reputation. In the 2012 film Arbitrage, hedge-fund magnate Richard Gere seduces a mistress, flies on a private jet, and defrauds investors, all in a day's work. Since there's no Merger Arbitrage for Dummies book out (yet), most investors are better off exploiting this trend via a mutual …
- Target-Date Pros and Cons @ Morningstar - Tue, Jan 28, 2014 7:00 AM EST
All-in-one retirement funds offer convenience and professional money management, but they may not be for everyone.
- ff Venture Capital Raises $52M Across Two Funds, With One Focused On New York State @ TechCrunch - Tue, Jan 14, 2014 5:29 PM EST
Together, the funds total $52 million, a little bit more than the $50 million that ffvc said it was planning.
- Recently Updated CEF Ratings @ Morningstar - Tue, Jan 14, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Highlighting recent revisions to our closed-end fund reports.
- MFS, Builder of the First U.S. Mutual Fund, Marks Another First @ Barrons.com - Fri, Jan 10, 2014 11:59 AM EST
But Jason Kephart of Investment News shows why one of this week's was unusual. MFS Investments, the first company to build a modern mutual fund in the U.S., is now "the first major mutual fund company to bring its stock-picking talent to exchange-traded funds," Kephart writes. Read here for the basics on the three ETFs …
- So Far, So Good With These Young Funds @ Morningstar - Wed, Jan 8, 2014 7:00 AM EST
They're not yet 5 years old, but these offerings are off to promising starts.
- Are Fund Managers Finally Going to Beat ETFs in 2014? @ Barrons.com - Tue, Jan 7, 2014 11:40 AM EST
The chorus on Wall Street is that conditions are finally right for stock pickers to beat the index in 2014, reversing several years underperforming indexes and ETFs. Morgan Stanley strategist Adam Parker has a useful idea.
- [$$] Stocks Continue to Party @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jan 4, 2014 12:01 AM EST
For the third quarter last year, active managers in the aggregate failed to harness the strength of the market and beat index funds tracking the Standard & Poor's 500 index. The 7,936 U.S. diversified equity funds posted an 8.76% gain in the fourth quarter, well behind the 10.36% increase of S&P 500 index funds. Only …
- Energy Funds Get New Cash in '13 --- But It's All About Yield @ Barrons.com - Mon, Dec 30, 2013 3:57 PM EST
Fund-tracker EPFR reports the energy sector's mutual funds are on track for full-year investor inflows for the first time since 2010. But this isn't a story about oil prices or Exxon Mobil (XOM). It's ...
- Don't Let a Subpar 2013 Sour You on These Superior Funds @ Morningstar - Wed, Dec 25, 2013 7:00 AM EST
Even Gold- and Silver-rated funds can have an off year.
- Discounted Muni-Bond Funds Rally @ Barrons.com - Mon, Dec 23, 2013 11:59 AM EST
Municipal-bond funds are among the best performers from our short list, up more than 2% this morning: The Invesco California Value Municipal Income Trust (VCV) is up nearly 2%. The higher yields reflect both the discount and the use of leverage." Such funds, he added, "are drawing fans ranging from Bill Gross, the bond …
- [$$] Buy MLPs at a Discount @ Barrons.com - Thu, Dec 12, 2013 3:31 PM EST
Five closed-end funds invested in master limited partnerships launched this year, and four trade for less than the value of the underlying assets. The underlying investments in these funds are master limited partnerships, or MLPs, which own energy infrastructure assets and boast attractive yields in the 6% range. To avoid …
- Morning Read: BlackRock, Vanguard In Bond-Fund Moves @ Barrons.com - Mon, Dec 9, 2013 10:14 AM EST
Charging 0.18%, the ETF will hold investment-grade fixed- and floating-rate debt securities with maturities of three years or less -- and the range of options will be wide. The ETF's mandate allows U.S. and non-U.S. government bonds, agency securities, mortgage-backed securities, ABS, structured or privately issued securities, …
- A Juiced-Up Junk Bond Fund Kiplinger - Tue, Nov 5, 2013 12:00 AM EST
Northeast Investors Trust's father-son team adds stocks and, sometimes, leverage to the mix.
- Why analysts are seeing a new market for hedge funds Market Realist - Wed, Oct 9, 2013 1:23 AM EDT
On July 10, 2013, the SEC voted 4–1 to lift a decade-old ban that prevents hedge funds and private equity firms from marketing their investments to the general public.
- Gundlach: This market is just 'fear and loathing' CNBC - Thu, Aug 29, 2013 12:23 PM EDT
- Target date funds dragged down by bond losses Consumer Reports - Tue, Aug 27, 2013 10:45 AM EDT
It’s no secret that U.S. stocks have continued to rally in 2013, up more than 15 percent for the year as of mid-August. Yet as many workers open their 401(k) statements, they may be disappointed ...
- How do I investigate 401(k) investment choices? Consumer Reports - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:00 PM EDT
My 401(k) is dropping a mutual fund in which I invested. The plan administrator has given me the option of a growth and income fund that is “managed exclusively for the fund.” There’s no ticker s...
- Bond exodus accelerates as yields creep near 3% CNBC - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:33 AM EDT
- What's the right investment mix of retirement funds? Consumer Reports - Sat, Aug 17, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
When choosing where to invest my 401(k), I put 70 percent in an index mutual fund that is tied to the S&P 500. The remaining 30 percent I put in index funds tied to international, small-cap, and ...
- How the Kip 25's Bond Funds Are Weathering the Storm Kiplinger - Mon, Aug 12, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Rising interest rates have wreaked havoc with bond funds. Most of our picks have held up better than the overall market.
- Pimco's Gross vows victory in 'bond wars' CNBC - Thu, Aug 8, 2013 9:12 AM EDT
- Mutual Fund Rankings, 2013 Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
U.S. stock funds lead our annual rankings of top-performing mutual funds in 11 categories.
- When to Sell a Mutual Fund Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
To sell or not to sell? Use these guidelines to help you decide.
- 4 Types of Investments to Avoid Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Watch out for darling stocks, hidden costs, overly complicated investments and a whole slew of bond funds.
- Muni bonds 'hemorrhage' $1.2 billion CNBC - Fri, Jul 26, 2013 2:38 AM EDT
- Investing in TIPS with Less Risk Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 26, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
A Vanguard fund that invests in short-term inflation-protection bonds looks appealing.
- 7 Best Large-Company Mutual Funds Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 16, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Our picks, including four members of the Kiplinger 25, are led by veteran managers who deliver consistent returns with low fees.
- 'Unprecedented' $80 Billion Leaves Bond Funds CNBC - Mon, Jul 1, 2013 2:55 AM EDT
- A Great Place to Stash Your Cash Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 1, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
FPA New Income offers a decent yield and it's one of the safest bond funds you can buy.
- Pimco Flagship Fund Loses Big on Bond Shock CNBC - Wed, Jun 26, 2013 5:16 AM EDT
- Bond Fund Outflows Hit Record Level CNBC - Mon, Jun 24, 2013 5:47 AM EDT
- 60% Chance of Recession: Pimco CNBC - Tue, Jun 11, 2013 11:18 PM EDT
- 'Dirty Dozen': 12 Worst Mutual Funds CNBC - Fri, May 17, 2013 11:35 AM EDT
- Pimco's Gross Turns Bullish on US Treasurys CNBC - Wed, Apr 10, 2013 6:01 AM EDT
The world's biggest bond fund manager Bill Gross has had a change of heart on Treasurys, raising allocations to U.S.government bonds, as the fund seeks to pre-empt an increase in buying from Japanese investors....
- ETF Premiums: No Worry—Until They Bite IndexUniverse.com - Wed, Nov 14, 2012 11:52 AM EST
Big flows recently out of junk bond funds like HYG point to lessons on how not to trade ETFs.Headlines today focused on big outflows from the iShares iBoxx High Yield Bond ETF .
- More Mutual Funds are Using ETFs ETF Trends - Tue, Oct 30, 2012 1:37 PM EDT
There is an emerging and overlooked user group of ETFs: mutual funds.ETFs have been seeing money move in the door while investors flee U.S. stock mutual funds. Also driving the inflows are mutual fund ...
- How to evaluate target-date mutual funds Bankrate.com - Mon, Oct 22, 2012 3:00 AM EDT
Target-date mutual funds sound like no-brainer investments.They have set target dates, usually matched to an investor's target retirement year. As the target date nears, say 2020, investment allocations ...
- How To Pick A Good Mutual Fund Investopedia - Fri, Jun 22, 2012 11:59 AM EDT
Learn how to evaluate mutual funds and find the right one for you.
- Facebook in your mutual fund? It could be soon AP - Fri, May 11, 2012 2:09 PM EDT
- Is It Time to Sell Your Stocks and Run For Cover? US News - Fri, Feb 10, 2012 9:14 AM EST
When it comes to investing, it's hard to know who to follow these days. Since September 2009, the Vanguard Total Stock Market index fund (VTSMX) is up 33.4 percent. The Dow is approaching 12,900, reaching ...
- Bill Miller And Active ETFs IndexUniverse.com - Fri, Nov 18, 2011 5:41 PM EST
Does the departure of a famous manager tell us anything about the outlook for active ETFs?Bill Miller’s value-oriented mutual fund had a great run, besting the S'P 500 for 15 straight years b...
- iShares Plans Broad Commodity Offerings IndexUniverse.com - Fri, Nov 18, 2011 2:18 PM EST
iShares continues push into more focused strategies, filing to market five broad commodity-focused equity funds.