- Bill Gross, Pimco, and Everything Else in 2014 @ Barrons.com - Sat, Dec 20, 2014 12:01 AM EST
Fund Scope|Scoreboard This was a year of surprisingly salacious gossip in the mutual-fund industry. Early on in 2014, Mohamed El-Erian announced he was leaving Pimco, beginning a spiral of recrimination, ...
- 2 Funds Calling In With Top BlackBerry Ownership Benzinga - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:13 PM EST
It's not unusual for a stock to show obvious volatility on a daily chart. But even the weekly chart of BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY ) indicates a stock that's prone to wide price swings, and may be difficult ...
- Nearing the End of a Decent Year in CEFs @ Morningstar - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Falling oil prices buffet some CEFs, but many have turned out strong returns so far this year.
- T. Rowe Price Remains on Top @ Morningstar - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Departures of investment staff are worth watching, though.
- The SEC Targets Bond Funds @ Morningstar - Tue, Dec 16, 2014 1:00 AM EST
And it's about time.
- Manager Departures and Portfolio Shifts Meant Ratings Changes in November @ Morningstar - Mon, Dec 15, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Also, a target-date series cuts its fees.
- Target-Date Pros and Cons @ Morningstar - Fri, Dec 12, 2014 7:00 AM EST
All-in-one retirement funds offer convenience and professional money management, but they may not be for everyone.
- Whatever Your Portfolio Approach, These Funds Can Help @ Morningstar - Fri, Dec 12, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Whether you want an all-in-one fund or are worried about tax implications or volatility, we've got fund picks for you.
- 2020 Target-Date Funds Hang Tough @ Kiplinger - Thu, Dec 11, 2014 4:20 PM EST
These retirement funds lost less than the market during the recent downturn.
- ETFs Are Not Always Cheaper @ Morningstar - Wed, Dec 10, 2014 7:00 AM EST
On an asset-weighted basis, institutional mutual fund share classes are lower than ETFs' in all but one Morningstar Category.
- 4 Funds Whose 10-Year Records Really Are the Whole Story @ Morningstar - Tue, Dec 9, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These Morningstar Medalists are easy to read.
- Janus fund assets rise 100-fold since Bill Gross took over @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Dec 8, 2014 7:16 PM EST
In the realm of fixed-income investments, dethroned Pimco bond king Bill Gross still commands a healthy measure of respect as he settles in at a freewheeling Janus Capital mutual fund.
- Quant Funds' Strong Run Continues @ Morningstar - Mon, Dec 8, 2014 7:00 AM EST
But few proven choices exist.
- Beyond profits: Millennials embrace investing for social good @ Los Angeles Times - Sun, Dec 7, 2014 8:00 AM EST
Once she gets her MBA degree from UC Berkeley in May, Leigh Madeira's dream is to help find funding for young companies devoted to improving the lives of the world's poor.
- These Funds Have Transportation Stocks On Board Benzinga - Fri, Dec 5, 2014 10:27 AM EST
With lower oil prices in the headlines , stocks of various transportation sub-industries have been diverging. For example, trucking, airline and air freight stocks, on the whole, have been rising. Railroads, ...
- Don't Put Up With Big Capital Gains Payouts @ Morningstar - Thu, Dec 4, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Taxable investors: There is a better way.
- 2 Funds With Plenty To Tweet About Benzinga - Wed, Dec 3, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Shares of Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) were never able to take wing on the first trading day of the fourth quarter. The stock sputtered 6.47 percent on news that top executives, including CEO Dick Costolo ...
- 4 Small Funds That Are Worth a Look @ Morningstar - Wed, Dec 3, 2014 7:00 AM EST
We hunt down medalist funds with the ability to be nimble.
- Tiffany Shares Sprinkle Some Sparkle On These 2 Funds Benzinga - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 4:14 PM EST
Recessions or not, people keep buying stuff. And some of the stuff they buy glitters, sparkles, shines and carries a hefty price tag. Tiffany & Co. (NYSE: TIF ) has been steadily growing its sales and ...
- These 2 Dodge & Cox Funds Are Big Hewlett-Packard Owners Benzinga - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 2:44 PM EST
When companies report earnings, big institutional owners such as mutual funds look for an opportunity to either add to or pare positions. Post-earnings price movements driven by funds are most evident ...
- Primecap: The Best Stock Pickers You've Never Seen @ Kiplinger - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 2:00 PM EST
The men who run the Primecap funds are so under the radar we couldn't even find their pictures. And that's just the way they want it.
- What to Expect From an Actively Managed Fund @ Morningstar - Tue, Dec 2, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Look for good fundamentals, not hot streaks.
- Mutual funds: Where the smart money is @ USA TODAY - Mon, Dec 1, 2014 6:27 AM EST
The investors you need to watch out for are on Wall Street.
- How To Add Portfolio Diversification With Long-Term Bond Funds Benzinga - Fri, Nov 28, 2014 8:16 AM EST
When considering fixed-income , investors often wonder whether it is better to buy single bonds or a mutual fund. Some bond funds seek to track the broad market, investing in short- and long-term fixed-income ...
- What We're Not Thankful for: Big Capital Gains Distributions @ Morningstar - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 1:55 PM EST
A roundup of the largest distributions from the big fund complexes.
- How to Set Up a Donor-Advised Fund @ Kiplinger - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 9:30 AM EST
You get a tax break in the year you contribute the money to a donor-advised fund but can decide which charities to support later.
- Catalyst Launches 2 New Alternative-Investment Funds Benzinga - Wed, Nov 26, 2014 8:19 AM EST
Investors who want to add alternatives to their allocation now have two more ways to accomplish that. The idea behind alternatives is to provide an investment that is not highly correlated to stocks, or ...
- Pimco's Post-Gross Outflows Only Halfway Over -- Wells Fargo @ Barrons.com - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 1:50 PM EST
The billions of dollars investors have withdrawn from Pimco since Bill Gross left the firm in September may only be halfway finished, with such outflows likely to remain elevated through the middle of ...
- 3 Funds To Watch For Intuit Exposure Benzinga - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 10:09 AM EST
Business and accounting software maker Intuit Inc. (NASDAQ: INTU ) closed at $92.56 on Monday, following a better than expected first-quarter earnings report last Friday. CEO Brad Smith said the move to ...
- Let's Make a Deal: The Outlook for Merger Funds @ Morningstar - Tue, Nov 25, 2014 7:00 AM EST
How increased merger activity shapes the risks and opportunities for this niche group of mutual funds.
- These 3 Funds Are Loading Up On Tesla Benzinga - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 1:45 PM EST
Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) has been one of the more popular IPOs of the past few years. The number of U.S. mutual funds and hedge funds owning the stock has steadily risen in recent quarters. With ...
- 3 Fund Trades That Will Save You Money @ Morningstar - Mon, Nov 24, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These low-cost Medalists are just what the doctor ordered.
- Big Investors Buying Stakes for Hedge-Fund Fees @ Barrons.com - Sat, Nov 22, 2014 12:03 AM EST
There have been headlines almost daily about hedge funds’ poor performance and hefty fees. The funds, which typically levy a 2% management fee and take 20% of returns, have gained less than 3% in 2014, ...
- Soros fund invests $500 million with Bill Gross at Janus @ Los Angeles Times - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 12:44 PM EST
A family fund controlled by legendary financier George Soros has invested $500 million with Bill Gross at Janus Capital, providing a critical vote of confidence for the onetime "bond king" after ...
- Top Fund Picks for the Risk-Averse @ Morningstar - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:00 AM EST
To get a handle on funds' downside risks, you need to step into the wayback machine.
- Top Fund Picks for Risk-Takers @ Morningstar - Fri, Nov 21, 2014 7:00 AM EST
A compact list of stock, bond, and allocation offerings that have been risky but worth it.
- The Stockpicker's Last Stand @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Capital Group goes public to plead the case for active management
- Fat Premiums Still Baked into Gross' Former Pimco Closed-End Funds @ Barrons.com - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Bill Gross' exit from Pacific Investment Management Co. in September triggered heavy selling in closed-end funds run by the firm's legendary co-founder. But most of those CEFs are back to trading at lofty ...
- Salesforce's Earnings Could Lead These Funds To Trim Their Holdings Benzinga - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 1:01 PM EST
Shares of salesforce.com, inc. (NYSE: CRM ) were down 3.4 percent recently amid the software maker's fourth-quarter sales and earnings guidance falling short of analysts' views. Salesforce.com is the top ...
- No Reprieve for Energy CEFs in October @ Morningstar - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:00 AM EST
As oil prices continued to tank, commodity and energy funds took a nosedive.
- An Early Look at the Contenders for Morningstar Fixed-Income Fund Manager of the Year @ Morningstar - Thu, Nov 20, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These funds have shone in a year that's offered some surprises for bond-fund investors.
- An Early Read on the 2014 Morningstar Alternatives Fund Manager of the Year @ Morningstar - Tue, Nov 18, 2014 7:00 AM EST
We are developing a pool of potential candidates.
- Are 401(k) Plans Setting Up Millennials for Pain? The Fiscal Times - Sun, Oct 19, 2014 5:00 AM EDT
Rob Arnott, one of the investment world’s Big Thinkers, has advanced a worrying argument: that an investing approach devised to help us more safely and sensibly steer toward retirement may actually backfire. The argument concerns target-date retirement funds, whose allocation shifts away from stocks and more in favor of …
- The CalPERS Decision and the Rise of Liquid Alts @ Morningstar - Tue, Oct 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
There's more than meets the eye to CalPERS' decision to jettison hedge funds.
- How To Get Growth And Income From The Same Fund Benzinga - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 12:43 PM EDT
Many investors, particularly those who are still in their working years, immediately gravitate toward growth investments. The idea of price appreciation, even when it means taking some extra risk, holds ...
- When Will Quality Bounce Back? @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 23, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
These funds' lackluster recent performance doesn't tell the whole story.
- For Safety and Yield, Where Best to Park Your Cash? @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Short-term bond funds offer better rates than many money markets but also may carry higher risk.
- CEF Update: News You Can Use @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 9, 2014 11:30 AM EDT
A slow week in CEF news.
- American Funds Adapts to Changing Markets @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Even the strongest have to evolve.
- A Target-Date Series Diversifies Its Way to a Medal @ Morningstar - Mon, Sep 8, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Principal's LifeTime funds make up most of the Morningstar Analyst Ratings changes in August.