- Don't let your 401(k) retire before you do @ USA TODAY - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
Target-date funds are popular but they may not be right for everyone.
- Active Versus Passive Is the Wrong Question @ Morningstar - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
The cost is what counts.
- South African money funds 'break the buck' @ Financial Times - Sun, Aug 24, 2014 2:35 AM EDT
At least 10 South African money market funds have "broken the buck" in the wake of a central bank-led bailout of African Bank Investments, the country's biggest provider of unsecured loans. Before ...
- Tech Names Dominate Mutual, Hedge Fund Top Holdings In Q2: Citi @ Barrons.com - Fri, Aug 22, 2014 3:36 PM EDT
Citigroup's Tobias Levkovich and his team have an analysis of second-quarter holdings among the top 50 actively managed US mutual funds and hedge funds. Longtime favorite Google (GOOG), which went unchallenged for a year and a half, had to share the top spot with Microsoft (MSFT), as the former saw a "significant downtrend" …
- Take control of your target date fund Consumer Reports - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 8:00 AM EDT
You may have thought that after you put your money into a target-date fund, it would stay there until you retire. But taking such an approach could be a bad idea. The reason: Fund managers tinker...
- SEC Taking A Closer Look At Alternative Funds @ Barrons.com - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 9:05 AM EDT
Alternative investments are growing in popularity, with predictions that these mutual funds will double their market share in the next year and account for 40% of the asset-management industry's revenues by 2020. Yet while investors are snapping them up, they've also caught the eye of the Security and Exchange Commission: …
- What to watch: SEC to survey alternative funds @ USA TODAY - Tue, Aug 12, 2014 5:21 PM EDT
Surveys are used for information gathering purposes and don't imply wrongdoing.
- What Could Go Right for Active Management @ Morningstar - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
A market bubble would be nice.
- Do Active Funds Have a Future? @ Morningstar - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
The question is serious.
- Investors Show Willingness to Buy Untested Funds @ Morningstar - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Looking at 10 years of fund flows through the lens of volatility.
- Are 401(k) Funds Second-Rate? @ Morningstar - Sun, Jul 20, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
These funds may have been second-rate but seem no longer to be.
- Investors Are Fleeing These 3 Funds, but Should They? @ Morningstar - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Weak relative performance has spurred outflows.
- Small-Cap Funds That Stand Up to the Bear @ Morningstar - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A handful of quality small-cap funds have shone brighter than their peers when the market has tumbled.
- CEF Update: News You Can Use @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 15, 2014 12:15 PM EDT
Ivy High Income Opportunities has a second manager change in less than a year.
- Calamos' New ETF: 'Industry is a Little Behind the Eight Ball' @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 3:07 PM EDT
Add Calamos Investments to the trend of mutual-fund purveyors venturing into exchange-traded funds -- and to the much shorter list of managers who are comfy ETF-izing their stock-picking strategies. Starting today, investors will be able to see what Calamos Focus Growth ETF (CFGE) owns each day, which isn't exactly earth-moving …
- Betting on a Rebound in Resource Stocks @ Morningstar - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Keep an eye on these Medalist funds that have hefty weightings in energy and materials.
- Large-Cap Funds for Those Who Fear the Bear @ Morningstar - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
When stocks have dropped, these funds tend to outperform their peers.
- The Target-Date Industry in 5 Charts @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Highlights from Morningstar's 2014 Target-Date Series Research Paper.
- Bank Loan Funds Have 'Design Problem,' Pose Risks: Moody's @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 1:38 PM EDT
Moody's Investors Service today joins the fund executives and analysts who warn of potential trouble in bank-loan mutual funds and ETFs. The firm says those funds suffer from a "structural design problem" that could result in "reputational risks" for their creators, such as Eaton Vance, Fidelity Investments and Invesco, …
- Manager Changes Spur Ratings Downgrades in June @ Morningstar - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
In all, we changed Morningstar Analyst Ratings on 15 funds in June.
- Barron's Recap: Quarterly Report On Mutual Funds Benzinga - Sun, Jul 6, 2014 3:25 PM EDT
This weekend in Barron's online: the quarterly report on mutual funds, as well as the prospects for Dish Network, Realogy and more. Cover Story " Target-Date Funds Are Taking Over " by Andrew ...
- [$$] Target-Date Funds Take Over @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jul 5, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
Target-date mutual funds are taking over the 401(k) market. Investors choose a fund closest to their expected retirement date, whether five, 10, or nearly 50 years out. Today, target-date funds have amassed $670.6 billion in total assets, more than four times the $160 billion at the end of 2008, according to Morningstar. …
- [$$] Target-Date Funds Are Taking Over @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jul 5, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
More Mutual Fund Quarterly Features Target-date mutual funds are taking over the 401(k) market. Investors choose a fund closest to their expected retirement date, whether five, 10, or nearly 50 years out. Today, target-date funds have amassed $670.6 billion in total assets, more than four times the $160 billion at the …
- Portfolio: The risks of floating rate funds Consumer Reports - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 5:30 AM EDT
Any yield-focused investor would be pleased with a portfolio that had no volatility, generated an annual return of about 4 percent and promised rising income in the years ahead. But all of the ne...
- Target-Date Funds Get Cheaper, Use Tactical Allocation Well @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 10:10 AM EDT
Morningstar's annual industry study points to Fidelity as the new price leader, replacing Vanguard.
- Evaluating Changes in a Multimanager Lineup @ Morningstar - Tue, Jun 24, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
It's not a simple task, but that's no reason to stay away from these funds.
- Quant Funds Are Hot Again @ Morningstar - Mon, Jun 23, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
But are they reliable?
- Bain Capital Ventures Raises $850 Million In Two New Funds @ TechCrunch - Wed, Jun 18, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
Bain Capital Ventures only needed two months to raise $850 million for its latest two funds. The firm began fundraising for its $650 million BCV 2014 investment vehicle and a $200 million coinvestment ...
- [$$] Top Holdings of Funds @ Barrons.com - Wed, Jun 4, 2014 12:37 PM EDT
As has been our practice for many years, we looked at first-quarter data, screening for the top-ten holdings of the largest 50 actively managed equity mutual and hedge funds by asset size with the goal of identifying large cap stocks that may be over or under -owned within the fund universe. Here are the results: ˖ For …
- 20 Highly Rated Fund Bargains @ Morningstar - Mon, May 26, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Don't let your portfolio get barbecued by high fees!
- Strategic vs. Tactical: What's the Difference? @ Morningstar - Tue, May 20, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Whether portfolio moves are temporary or long-term can help clarify the issue.
- Annuity Alternatives for Retirees @ Morningstar - Tue, May 13, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Funds with various goals fill this category.
- A Red Giant Engulfs the Long-Short Category @ Morningstar - Tue, May 6, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
But smaller funds with star potential lurk from afar.
- An Easy Way to Find the Right Medalist Funds @ Morningstar - Tue, May 6, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Our screener tool lets Premium Members search exclusively among funds rated Gold, Silver, or Bronze.
- Morningstar Medalists at the Top of Their Game @ Morningstar - Mon, Apr 28, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Here's what's behind some strong performance.
- Dear SEC @ Morningstar - Thu, Apr 24, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
About that target-date funds proposal ...
- Small Fund Firms, Strong Stewards @ Morningstar - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
They're not the biggest names in the fund world, but these small shops have proven track records of protecting investors' interests.
- Former Artio Managers Take It Slow in New Venture @ Morningstar - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
The same investment strategy, but a more-restrained business plan.
- Survivorship Bias @ Morningstar - Wed, Apr 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Surviving funds can overstate a category's performance.
- Recent Morningstar Analyst Rating Upgrades and Downgrades @ Morningstar - Mon, Apr 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A review of last month's ratings changes.
- Barron's Recap: The New Indexing Benzinga - Sun, Apr 6, 2014 6:08 PM EDT
This weekend in Barron's online: alternative indexing, the quarterly report on mutual funds, as well as the prospects for Hewlett-Packard, B/E Aerospace, Rio Bravo Restaurant and more. Cover Story " ...
- Four Great Actively Managed Vanguard Funds @ Kiplinger - Wed, Apr 2, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
A longtime Vanguard watcher says you don't have to rely on the firm's index funds to produce superior results.
- Lineage Matters: Strong Firms' Funds Stand Taller @ Morningstar - Thu, Mar 20, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
New Morningstar study of asset managers shows good stewards have produced better funds.
- Morningstar Medalists That Are Easy to Own @ Morningstar - Mon, Mar 17, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Six funds with modest volatility and outstanding Morningstar Investor Returns.
- Are Younger Managers Better--Or Younger Strategies? @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 11, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
The fourth in a four-part series.
- Blurred Lines for Funds a Mixed Blessing for Investors @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 11, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Pushing against borders allows more freedom and choice but complicates selection and evaluation.
- Don't Chase These Hot Performers @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These funds did well in 2013 but aren't poised to continue their streaks.
- Investors' miscues sap returns -- again @ USA TODAY - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Buying and selling at the wrong time means lower returns all the time
- Mind the Gap 2014 @ Morningstar - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Some investors get caught leaning the wrong way, again.
- Discipline Gives DFA Its Edge @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 25, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Focus and low costs set Dimensional apart.