- Small Fund Firms, Strong Stewards @ Morningstar - 17 hours ago
They're not the biggest names in the fund world, but these small shops have proven track records of protecting investors' interests.
- Former Artio Managers Take It Slow in New Venture @ Morningstar - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
The same investment strategy, but a more-restrained business plan.
- Survivorship Bias @ Morningstar - Wed, Apr 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Surviving funds can overstate a category's performance.
- Recent Morningstar Analyst Rating Upgrades and Downgrades @ Morningstar - Mon, Apr 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A review of last month's ratings changes.
- Barron's Recap: The New Indexing Benzinga - Sun, Apr 6, 2014 6:08 PM EDT
This weekend in Barron's online: alternative indexing, the quarterly report on mutual funds, as well as the prospects for Hewlett-Packard, B/E Aerospace, Rio Bravo Restaurant and more. Cover Story " ...
- [$$] The Trouble With Actively Managed ETFs @ Barrons.com - Sat, Apr 5, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
On the surface, active ETFs are exactly what their name implies: ETFs with all the transparency and trading advantages they're known for, but instead of hewing to an index or adhering to a rules-based approach, they're run by managers deciding what and when to buy and sell. Change the very nature of ETFs. Mutual fund …
- Four Great Actively Managed Vanguard Funds @ Kiplinger - Wed, Apr 2, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
A longtime Vanguard watcher says you don't have to rely on the firm's index funds to produce superior results.
- Most Money-Market Funds Set to Escape Floating Values: WSJ @ Barrons.com - Wed, Mar 26, 2014 9:23 AM EDT
Andrew Ackman of the Wall Street Journal has the goods on an apparent change of heart at the Securities and Exchange Commission on the subject of money-market funds. Ackerman writes that the commission is preparing to exempt a majority of funds from a rule requiring share prices to fluctuate in value, like other mutual …
- Lineage Matters: Strong Firms' Funds Stand Taller @ Morningstar - Thu, Mar 20, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
New Morningstar study of asset managers shows good stewards have produced better funds.
- Morningstar Medalists That Are Easy to Own @ Morningstar - Mon, Mar 17, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Six funds with modest volatility and outstanding Morningstar Investor Returns.
- Hedge-Fund Managers Love Apple, but Guess Who Loves Google @ Barrons.com - Wed, Mar 12, 2014 10:25 AM EDT
What does it mean that hedge-fund managers once again can't get enough of Apple's (AAPL) stock, while for mutual-fund managers, it's Google (GOOG)? Here's what the data suggests: Hedge-fund managers seem to think the good old days of 2011 and early 2012 could return for Apple. Mutual-fund managers, meanwhile, seem to …
- Are Younger Managers Better--Or Younger Strategies? @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 11, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
The fourth in a four-part series.
- Blurred Lines for Funds a Mixed Blessing for Investors @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 11, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Pushing against borders allows more freedom and choice but complicates selection and evaluation.
- Don't Chase These Hot Performers @ Morningstar - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 7:00 AM EST
These funds did well in 2013 but aren't poised to continue their streaks.
- Investors' miscues sap returns -- again @ USA TODAY - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Buying and selling at the wrong time means lower returns all the time
- Mind the Gap 2014 @ Morningstar - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Some investors get caught leaning the wrong way, again.
- Discipline Gives DFA Its Edge @ Morningstar - Tue, Feb 25, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Focus and low costs set Dimensional apart.
- 8 Recent Changes in Analyst Ratings @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 24, 2014 7:00 AM EST
A host of factors drove these upgrades and downgrades.
- Retirement Q&A: 'To' or 'through'? @ USA TODAY - Sun, Feb 23, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Does your target date manage to retirement, or through it? There's a big difference.
- The Error-Proof Portfolio: For Near-Term Reserves, True Cash Isn't Trash @ Morningstar - Mon, Feb 17, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Ultrashort funds come with limited upside and more risk than competing alternatives--at least for now.
- [$$] M&A Funds: Sexy and Steady @ Barrons.com - Sat, Feb 8, 2014 2:50 AM EST
Arbitrage has a risky—even sexy—reputation. In the 2012 film Arbitrage, hedge-fund magnate Richard Gere seduces a mistress, flies on a private jet, and defrauds investors, all in a day's work. Since there's no Merger Arbitrage for Dummies book out (yet), most investors are better off exploiting this trend via a mutual …
- Target-Date Pros and Cons @ Morningstar - Tue, Jan 28, 2014 7:00 AM EST
All-in-one retirement funds offer convenience and professional money management, but they may not be for everyone.
- ff Venture Capital Raises $52M Across Two Funds, With One Focused On New York State @ TechCrunch - Tue, Jan 14, 2014 5:29 PM EST
Together, the funds total $52 million, a little bit more than the $50 million that ffvc said it was planning.
- Recently Updated CEF Ratings @ Morningstar - Tue, Jan 14, 2014 7:00 AM EST
Highlighting recent revisions to our closed-end fund reports.
- So Far, So Good With These Young Funds @ Morningstar - Wed, Jan 8, 2014 7:00 AM EST
They're not yet 5 years old, but these offerings are off to promising starts.
- Don't Let a Subpar 2013 Sour You on These Superior Funds @ Morningstar - Wed, Dec 25, 2013 7:00 AM EST
Even Gold- and Silver-rated funds can have an off year.
- A Juiced-Up Junk Bond Fund Kiplinger - Tue, Nov 5, 2013 12:00 AM EST
Northeast Investors Trust's father-son team adds stocks and, sometimes, leverage to the mix.
- Why analysts are seeing a new market for hedge funds Market Realist - Wed, Oct 9, 2013 1:23 AM EDT
On July 10, 2013, the SEC voted 4–1 to lift a decade-old ban that prevents hedge funds and private equity firms from marketing their investments to the general public.
- Gundlach: This market is just 'fear and loathing' CNBC - Thu, Aug 29, 2013 12:23 PM EDT
- Target date funds dragged down by bond losses Consumer Reports - Tue, Aug 27, 2013 10:45 AM EDT
It’s no secret that U.S. stocks have continued to rally in 2013, up more than 15 percent for the year as of mid-August. Yet as many workers open their 401(k) statements, they may be disappointed ...
- How do I investigate 401(k) investment choices? Consumer Reports - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:00 PM EDT
My 401(k) is dropping a mutual fund in which I invested. The plan administrator has given me the option of a growth and income fund that is “managed exclusively for the fund.” There’s no ticker s...
- Bond exodus accelerates as yields creep near 3% CNBC - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:33 AM EDT
- What's the right investment mix of retirement funds? Consumer Reports - Sat, Aug 17, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
When choosing where to invest my 401(k), I put 70 percent in an index mutual fund that is tied to the S&P 500. The remaining 30 percent I put in index funds tied to international, small-cap, and ...
- How the Kip 25's Bond Funds Are Weathering the Storm Kiplinger - Mon, Aug 12, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Rising interest rates have wreaked havoc with bond funds. Most of our picks have held up better than the overall market.
- Pimco's Gross vows victory in 'bond wars' CNBC - Thu, Aug 8, 2013 9:12 AM EDT
- Mutual Fund Rankings, 2013 Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
U.S. stock funds lead our annual rankings of top-performing mutual funds in 11 categories.
- When to Sell a Mutual Fund Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
To sell or not to sell? Use these guidelines to help you decide.
- 4 Types of Investments to Avoid Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Watch out for darling stocks, hidden costs, overly complicated investments and a whole slew of bond funds.
- Muni bonds 'hemorrhage' $1.2 billion CNBC - Fri, Jul 26, 2013 2:38 AM EDT
- Investing in TIPS with Less Risk Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 26, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
A Vanguard fund that invests in short-term inflation-protection bonds looks appealing.
- 7 Best Large-Company Mutual Funds Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 16, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Our picks, including four members of the Kiplinger 25, are led by veteran managers who deliver consistent returns with low fees.
- 'Unprecedented' $80 Billion Leaves Bond Funds CNBC - Mon, Jul 1, 2013 2:55 AM EDT
- A Great Place to Stash Your Cash Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 1, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
FPA New Income offers a decent yield and it's one of the safest bond funds you can buy.
- Pimco Flagship Fund Loses Big on Bond Shock CNBC - Wed, Jun 26, 2013 5:16 AM EDT
- Bond Fund Outflows Hit Record Level CNBC - Mon, Jun 24, 2013 5:47 AM EDT
- 60% Chance of Recession: Pimco CNBC - Tue, Jun 11, 2013 11:18 PM EDT
- 'Dirty Dozen': 12 Worst Mutual Funds CNBC - Fri, May 17, 2013 11:35 AM EDT
- ETF Premiums: No Worry—Until They Bite IndexUniverse.com - Wed, Nov 14, 2012 11:52 AM EST
Big flows recently out of junk bond funds like HYG point to lessons on how not to trade ETFs.Headlines today focused on big outflows from the iShares iBoxx High Yield Bond ETF .
- More Mutual Funds are Using ETFs ETF Trends - Tue, Oct 30, 2012 1:37 PM EDT
There is an emerging and overlooked user group of ETFs: mutual funds.ETFs have been seeing money move in the door while investors flee U.S. stock mutual funds. Also driving the inflows are mutual fund ...
- How to evaluate target-date mutual funds Bankrate.com - Mon, Oct 22, 2012 3:00 AM EDT
Target-date mutual funds sound like no-brainer investments.They have set target dates, usually matched to an investor's target retirement year. As the target date nears, say 2020, investment allocations ...