- In One Simple Chart, Here's Where Investors Went During 2013 @ Barrons.com - 58 minutes ago
Fund flows reflected 2013 as it was -- a year of galactic stock-market gains and lots of fretting over the Federal Reserve. In an illustrative Bank of America Merrill Lynch chart of 2013's activity this ...
- Muni Fund Outflow Streak Hits 28 Weeks @ Barrons.com - 19 hours ago
It's now 28 straight weeks of investor withdrawals for municipal bond mutual funds and ETFs, which just reported an $875 million net outflow for the week ended Wednesday, per the latest Lipper data. That's ...
- Grounded in Bonds @ Barrons.com - Sat, Nov 30, 2013 12:01 AM EST
Meggan Walsh, who runs the Invesco Diversified Dividend fund, came up through the ranks as a bond manager. Like many dividend-themed funds, Invesco Diversified Dividend (ticker:ticker::LCEAX), which now has $8.7 billion in assets, does particularly well during downturns but may lag a bit in a frothier market. "We have …
- Capital Continued To Flow Out Of EM Bonds @ Barrons.com - Fri, Nov 29, 2013 11:05 AM EST
For the week ending November 27, $1.1 billion, or 0.4% of asset under management (AUM), flowed out of emerging markets bond funds. Local currency funds were particularly hard hit, seeing $0.9 billion, ...
- Record Highs Lure Investors Back to Stocks @ BusinessWeek - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 2:22 PM EST
Cash pours into equity mutual funds after five years of withdrawals
- Goldman + MLPs = Big Closed-End Fund Offering @ Barrons.com - Wed, Nov 27, 2013 11:30 AM EST
Goldman Sachs Asset Management made some waves in the market for closed-end funds this week with the biggest CEF offering since June. Goldman's name and clout plus the lure of yield-rich master-limited partnerships were the likely drivers behind the more than $800 million raised by Goldman Sachs MLP Income Opportunities …
- 11 Energy Picks From the Shale Gas Revolution @ Barrons.com - Tue, Nov 26, 2013 6:26 AM EST
Winsor "Skip" Aylesworth has been investing in natural gas since before it was cool. The former meteorologist turned portfolio manager runs the Hennessy Gas Utility Index Fund (ticker:ticker::GASFX), which holds the 64 dividend-paying members of the American Gas Association Stock Index. Aylesworth tweaks the portfolio's …
- Stewards of capital, not used-car salesmen @ Financial Times - Sat, Nov 23, 2013 7:26 PM EST
Asset managers are still in denial about the breakdown of public trust their industry has suffered since the global financial crisis, according to the chief investment officer of the world's second-largest ...
- Equity fund inflows hit record as rally grows @ Financial Times - Fri, Nov 22, 2013 2:52 PM EST
Rising investor confidence in a quickening global economic recovery has lifted global equity fund inflows to a decade high. In the year to date, global investment funds have attracted equity inflows equivalent ...
- Muni Fund Outflow Streak Hits Six-Month Mark @ Barrons.com - Fri, Nov 22, 2013 10:51 AM EST
Municipal bond mutual funds and ETFs posting their 26th straight weekly loss, bleeding away $770 million in investor withdrawals for the week ended Wednesday, per Lipper data, bringing their losing streak ...
- Capital Flowed Out Of EM Bonds Funds Again, EM Bond Outlook Not Bright @ Barrons.com - Fri, Nov 22, 2013 7:10 AM EST
For the week ending November 20, capital continued to flow out of emerging markets bond funds. A total of $1.4 billion, or 0.6% of asset under management (AUM), left, across local and hard currency funds. ...
- Morning Read: These Funds Are Pilotfish to Wall Street's Sharks @ Barrons.com - Thu, Nov 21, 2013 8:38 AM EST
Fund watch: S&P Capital IQ this week studies what you might term mutual-fund pilotfish: Funds that happen to own some of the same stocks as famous activist investors Carl Icahn and Dan Loeb. Just like ...
- EM Hedge Funds Q3 Report Card From HFR: Not That Impressive @ Barrons.com - Fri, Nov 15, 2013 11:02 AM EST
In aggregate, emerging markets dedicated hedge funds gained 3% in the third quarter and another 2.5% in October, bringing year-to-date performance to 4.7%, data from Hedge Fund Research shows. The gains ...
- [$$] The Case for Compact Funds @ Barrons.com - Sat, Nov 9, 2013 12:01 AM EST
When Bill Nygren launched Oakmark Select in 1996, a mutual fund with just 20 holdings defied the conventional wisdom on diversification. Yet, as Nygren saw it, most investors owned multiple funds, often within the same category, with too many holdings. Nearly two decades later, Nygren doesn't have to work so hard to educate …
- Twitter IPO Was a Non-Event for Fund Investors --- and That's a Good Thing @ Barrons.com - Fri, Nov 8, 2013 9:49 AM EST
Twitter's (TWTR) stock-market debut was a non-event for fund investors, which is how you, risk-averse investor, should want it. Other than the two investment funds we showed you on the blog yesterday, the closely watched Twitter offering passed over all but a handful of funds. The area with a reputation for fast trading …
- Source Capital Gets Morningstar's Gold @ Barrons.com - Tue, Nov 5, 2013 12:13 PM EST
The closed-end fund Source Capital (SOR) just pulled down some accolades from Morningstar, which touts the fund's "patient" stock picking and "sound" investment process. From Morningstar's Cara Esser, who awards the fund a "gold" rating: The fund's returns have been difficult to benchmark: Over the past decade, it has …
- A Juiced-Up Junk Bond Fund Kiplinger - Tue, Nov 5, 2013 12:00 AM EST
Northeast Investors Trust's father-son team adds stocks and, sometimes, leverage to the mix.
- Did Your Growth Manager Have a Great Year? See If He Owned Apple @ Barrons.com - Fri, Nov 1, 2013 3:10 PM EDT
Large-cap growth funds tracked by Morningstar are up a remarkable 26% this year, edging out the S&P 500 (SPY) total return. Before you shout "Genius!," check whether your manager owned Apple (AAPL). Here's what Lee writes about Russell 1000 Growth managers Friday morning: [M]ore funds are beating than missing (something …
- Surprise! Large-Cap Core Funds Love High-Flying Health Stocks --- And Loathe Utilities @ Barrons.com - Wed, Oct 16, 2013 2:37 PM EDT
Nearly half of large-cap core mutual funds are beating the S&P 500 (SPY) this year -- 46%. If that sounds lackluster, well, it is. But it's actually pretty good versus those funds' history. The 10-year ...
- Why analysts are seeing a new market for hedge funds Market Realist - Wed, Oct 9, 2013 1:23 AM EDT
On July 10, 2013, the SEC voted 4–1 to lift a decade-old ban that prevents hedge funds and private equity firms from marketing their investments to the general public.
- Gundlach: This market is just 'fear and loathing' CNBC - Thu, Aug 29, 2013 12:23 PM EDT
- Target date funds dragged down by bond losses Consumer Reports - Tue, Aug 27, 2013 10:45 AM EDT
It’s no secret that U.S. stocks have continued to rally in 2013, up more than 15 percent for the year as of mid-August. Yet as many workers open their 401(k) statements, they may be disappointed ...
- How do I investigate 401(k) investment choices? Consumer Reports - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:00 PM EDT
My 401(k) is dropping a mutual fund in which I invested. The plan administrator has given me the option of a growth and income fund that is “managed exclusively for the fund.” There’s no ticker s...
- Bond exodus accelerates as yields creep near 3% CNBC - Mon, Aug 19, 2013 2:33 AM EDT
- What's the right investment mix of retirement funds? Consumer Reports - Sat, Aug 17, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
When choosing where to invest my 401(k), I put 70 percent in an index mutual fund that is tied to the S&P 500. The remaining 30 percent I put in index funds tied to international, small-cap, and ...
- How the Kip 25's Bond Funds Are Weathering the Storm Kiplinger - Mon, Aug 12, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Rising interest rates have wreaked havoc with bond funds. Most of our picks have held up better than the overall market.
- Pimco's Gross vows victory in 'bond wars' CNBC - Thu, Aug 8, 2013 9:12 AM EDT
- Mutual Fund Rankings, 2013 Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
U.S. stock funds lead our annual rankings of top-performing mutual funds in 11 categories.
- When to Sell a Mutual Fund Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
To sell or not to sell? Use these guidelines to help you decide.
- 4 Types of Investments to Avoid Kiplinger - Tue, Aug 6, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Watch out for darling stocks, hidden costs, overly complicated investments and a whole slew of bond funds.
- Muni bonds 'hemorrhage' $1.2 billion CNBC - Fri, Jul 26, 2013 2:38 AM EDT
- Investing in TIPS with Less Risk Kiplinger - Fri, Jul 26, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
A Vanguard fund that invests in short-term inflation-protection bonds looks appealing.
- 7 Best Large-Company Mutual Funds Kiplinger - Tue, Jul 16, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
Our picks, including four members of the Kiplinger 25, are led by veteran managers who deliver consistent returns with low fees.
- 'Unprecedented' $80 Billion Leaves Bond Funds CNBC - Mon, Jul 1, 2013 2:55 AM EDT
- A Great Place to Stash Your Cash Kiplinger - Mon, Jul 1, 2013 12:00 AM EDT
FPA New Income offers a decent yield and it's one of the safest bond funds you can buy.
- Pimco Flagship Fund Loses Big on Bond Shock CNBC - Wed, Jun 26, 2013 5:16 AM EDT
- Bond Fund Outflows Hit Record Level CNBC - Mon, Jun 24, 2013 5:47 AM EDT
- 60% Chance of Recession: Pimco CNBC - Tue, Jun 11, 2013 11:18 PM EDT
- 'Dirty Dozen': 12 Worst Mutual Funds CNBC - Fri, May 17, 2013 11:35 AM EDT
- Pimco's Gross Turns Bullish on US Treasurys CNBC - Wed, Apr 10, 2013 6:01 AM EDT
The world's biggest bond fund manager Bill Gross has had a change of heart on Treasurys, raising allocations to U.S.government bonds, as the fund seeks to pre-empt an increase in buying from Japanese investors....
- Why Goldman Thinks You Should Dump Bonds Now CNBC - Fri, Jan 4, 2013 2:41 PM EST
Goldman Sachs strategists have issued a big warning to clients hiding out in bond funds: You're about to lose your shirt. The reason: interest rates began rising this week, and if they return to the historical ...
- Buyer Beware: Will Your Bond Fund Sting You? CNBC - Fri, Dec 14, 2012 6:55 AM EST
If you own a bond fund, dividend paying stock or ETF - and that seems to be everybody these days, especially those of us who are yield-hungry and aging - just remember: When rates go up, yields go down....
- ETF Premiums: No Worry—Until They Bite IndexUniverse.com - Wed, Nov 14, 2012 11:52 AM EST
Big flows recently out of junk bond funds like HYG point to lessons on how not to trade ETFs.Headlines today focused on big outflows from the iShares iBoxx High Yield Bond ETF .
- More Mutual Funds are Using ETFs ETF Trends - Tue, Oct 30, 2012 1:37 PM EDT
There is an emerging and overlooked user group of ETFs: mutual funds.ETFs have been seeing money move in the door while investors flee U.S. stock mutual funds. Also driving the inflows are mutual fund ...
- How to evaluate target-date mutual funds Bankrate.com - Mon, Oct 22, 2012 3:00 AM EDT
Target-date mutual funds sound like no-brainer investments.They have set target dates, usually matched to an investor's target retirement year. As the target date nears, say 2020, investment allocations ...
- How To Pick A Good Mutual Fund Investopedia - Fri, Jun 22, 2012 11:59 AM EDT
Learn how to evaluate mutual funds and find the right one for you.
- Facebook in your mutual fund? It could be soon AP - Fri, May 11, 2012 2:09 PM EDT
- Is It Time to Sell Your Stocks and Run For Cover? US News - Fri, Feb 10, 2012 9:14 AM EST
When it comes to investing, it's hard to know who to follow these days. Since September 2009, the Vanguard Total Stock Market index fund (VTSMX) is up 33.4 percent. The Dow is approaching 12,900, reaching ...
- Bill Miller And Active ETFs IndexUniverse.com - Fri, Nov 18, 2011 5:41 PM EST
Does the departure of a famous manager tell us anything about the outlook for active ETFs?Bill Miller’s value-oriented mutual fund had a great run, besting the S'P 500 for 15 straight years b...
- iShares Plans Broad Commodity Offerings IndexUniverse.com - Fri, Nov 18, 2011 2:18 PM EST
iShares continues push into more focused strategies, filing to market five broad commodity-focused equity funds.