- How To Get Growth And Income From The Same Fund Benzinga - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 12:43 PM EDT
Many investors, particularly those who are still in their working years, immediately gravitate toward growth investments. The idea of price appreciation, even when it means taking some extra risk, holds ...
- When Will Quality Bounce Back? @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 23, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
These funds' lackluster recent performance doesn't tell the whole story.
- CalPERS' Hedge Fund Exit: The Impact at Home and Abroad @ Barrons.com - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 3:57 PM EDT
Earlier today, we wrote about the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) announcing its breakup with hedge funds, a move that involves 24 hedge funds and six "funds of funds." ...
- For Safety and Yield, Where Best to Park Your Cash? @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Short-term bond funds offer better rates than many money markets but also may carry higher risk.
- CEF Update: News You Can Use @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 9, 2014 11:30 AM EDT
A slow week in CEF news.
- American Funds Adapts to Changing Markets @ Morningstar - Tue, Sep 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Even the strongest have to evolve.
- A Target-Date Series Diversifies Its Way to a Medal @ Morningstar - Mon, Sep 8, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Principal's LifeTime funds make up most of the Morningstar Analyst Ratings changes in August.
- Why Gilead Sciences, Inc. Is A Top Mutual Fund Holding Benzinga - Fri, Sep 5, 2014 9:27 AM EDT
The ongoing Ebola epidemic has refocused the world's attention on biotechs, as the ZMapp serum, from San Diego's Mapp Biopharmaceutical, helped treat two American infectees earlier this year. That's not ...
- Strategic-Beta ETFs Seeing Stars @ Morningstar - Wed, Sep 3, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
The Morningstar Rating shows that the past performance of these funds has been solid.
- Don't let your 401(k) retire before you do @ USA TODAY - Sun, Aug 31, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
Target-date funds are popular but they may not be right for everyone.
- Active Versus Passive Is the Wrong Question @ Morningstar - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
The cost is what counts.
- Tech Names Dominate Mutual, Hedge Fund Top Holdings In Q2: Citi @ Barrons.com - Fri, Aug 22, 2014 3:36 PM EDT
Citigroup's Tobias Levkovich and his team have an analysis of second-quarter holdings among the top 50 actively managed US mutual funds and hedge funds. Longtime favorite Google (GOOG), which went unchallenged for a year and a half, had to share the top spot with Microsoft (MSFT), as the former saw a "significant downtrend" …
- Take control of your target date fund Consumer Reports - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 8:00 AM EDT
You may have thought that after you put your money into a target-date fund, it would stay there until you retire. But taking such an approach could be a bad idea. The reason: Fund managers tinker...
- SEC Taking A Closer Look At Alternative Funds @ Barrons.com - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 9:05 AM EDT
Alternative investments are growing in popularity, with predictions that these mutual funds will double their market share in the next year and account for 40% of the asset-management industry's revenues by 2020. Yet while investors are snapping them up, they've also caught the eye of the Security and Exchange Commission: …
- What to watch: SEC to survey alternative funds @ USA TODAY - Tue, Aug 12, 2014 5:21 PM EDT
Surveys are used for information gathering purposes and don't imply wrongdoing.
- What Could Go Right for Active Management @ Morningstar - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
A market bubble would be nice.
- Do Active Funds Have a Future? @ Morningstar - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
The question is serious.
- Investors Show Willingness to Buy Untested Funds @ Morningstar - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Looking at 10 years of fund flows through the lens of volatility.
- Are 401(k) Funds Second-Rate? @ Morningstar - Sun, Jul 20, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
These funds may have been second-rate but seem no longer to be.
- Investors Are Fleeing These 3 Funds, but Should They? @ Morningstar - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Weak relative performance has spurred outflows.
- Small-Cap Funds That Stand Up to the Bear @ Morningstar - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A handful of quality small-cap funds have shone brighter than their peers when the market has tumbled.
- Calamos' New ETF: 'Industry is a Little Behind the Eight Ball' @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 3:07 PM EDT
Add Calamos Investments to the trend of mutual-fund purveyors venturing into exchange-traded funds -- and to the much shorter list of managers who are comfy ETF-izing their stock-picking strategies. Starting today, investors will be able to see what Calamos Focus Growth ETF (CFGE) owns each day, which isn't exactly earth-moving …
- Betting on a Rebound in Resource Stocks @ Morningstar - Mon, Jul 14, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Keep an eye on these Medalist funds that have hefty weightings in energy and materials.
- Large-Cap Funds for Those Who Fear the Bear @ Morningstar - Wed, Jul 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
When stocks have dropped, these funds tend to outperform their peers.
- The Target-Date Industry in 5 Charts @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 8, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Highlights from Morningstar's 2014 Target-Date Series Research Paper.
- Bank Loan Funds Have 'Design Problem,' Pose Risks: Moody's @ Barrons.com - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 1:38 PM EDT
Moody's Investors Service today joins the fund executives and analysts who warn of potential trouble in bank-loan mutual funds and ETFs. The firm says those funds suffer from a "structural design problem" that could result in "reputational risks" for their creators, such as Eaton Vance, Fidelity Investments and Invesco, …
- Manager Changes Spur Ratings Downgrades in June @ Morningstar - Mon, Jul 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
In all, we changed Morningstar Analyst Ratings on 15 funds in June.
- Barron's Recap: Quarterly Report On Mutual Funds Benzinga - Sun, Jul 6, 2014 3:25 PM EDT
This weekend in Barron's online: the quarterly report on mutual funds, as well as the prospects for Dish Network, Realogy and more. Cover Story " Target-Date Funds Are Taking Over " by Andrew ...
- [$$] Target-Date Funds Take Over @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jul 5, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
Target-date mutual funds are taking over the 401(k) market. Investors choose a fund closest to their expected retirement date, whether five, 10, or nearly 50 years out. Today, target-date funds have amassed $670.6 billion in total assets, more than four times the $160 billion at the end of 2008, according to Morningstar. …
- [$$] Target-Date Funds Are Taking Over @ Barrons.com - Sat, Jul 5, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
More Mutual Fund Quarterly Features Target-date mutual funds are taking over the 401(k) market. Investors choose a fund closest to their expected retirement date, whether five, 10, or nearly 50 years out. Today, target-date funds have amassed $670.6 billion in total assets, more than four times the $160 billion at the …
- Portfolio: The risks of floating rate funds Consumer Reports - Wed, Jul 2, 2014 5:30 AM EDT
Any yield-focused investor would be pleased with a portfolio that had no volatility, generated an annual return of about 4 percent and promised rising income in the years ahead. But all of the ne...
- Target-Date Funds Get Cheaper, Use Tactical Allocation Well @ Morningstar - Tue, Jul 1, 2014 10:10 AM EDT
Morningstar's annual industry study points to Fidelity as the new price leader, replacing Vanguard.
- Evaluating Changes in a Multimanager Lineup @ Morningstar - Tue, Jun 24, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
It's not a simple task, but that's no reason to stay away from these funds.
- Quant Funds Are Hot Again @ Morningstar - Mon, Jun 23, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
But are they reliable?
- Bain Capital Ventures Raises $850 Million In Two New Funds @ TechCrunch - Wed, Jun 18, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
Bain Capital Ventures only needed two months to raise $850 million for its latest two funds. The firm began fundraising for its $650 million BCV 2014 investment vehicle and a $200 million coinvestment ...
- 20 Highly Rated Fund Bargains @ Morningstar - Mon, May 26, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Don't let your portfolio get barbecued by high fees!
- Strategic vs. Tactical: What's the Difference? @ Morningstar - Tue, May 20, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Whether portfolio moves are temporary or long-term can help clarify the issue.
- Annuity Alternatives for Retirees @ Morningstar - Tue, May 13, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Funds with various goals fill this category.
- A Red Giant Engulfs the Long-Short Category @ Morningstar - Tue, May 6, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
But smaller funds with star potential lurk from afar.
- An Easy Way to Find the Right Medalist Funds @ Morningstar - Tue, May 6, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Our screener tool lets Premium Members search exclusively among funds rated Gold, Silver, or Bronze.
- Morningstar Medalists at the Top of Their Game @ Morningstar - Mon, Apr 28, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Here's what's behind some strong performance.
- Dear SEC @ Morningstar - Thu, Apr 24, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
About that target-date funds proposal ...
- Small Fund Firms, Strong Stewards @ Morningstar - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
They're not the biggest names in the fund world, but these small shops have proven track records of protecting investors' interests.
- Former Artio Managers Take It Slow in New Venture @ Morningstar - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
The same investment strategy, but a more-restrained business plan.
- Survivorship Bias @ Morningstar - Wed, Apr 9, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Surviving funds can overstate a category's performance.
- Recent Morningstar Analyst Rating Upgrades and Downgrades @ Morningstar - Mon, Apr 7, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
A review of last month's ratings changes.
- Barron's Recap: The New Indexing Benzinga - Sun, Apr 6, 2014 6:08 PM EDT
This weekend in Barron's online: alternative indexing, the quarterly report on mutual funds, as well as the prospects for Hewlett-Packard, B/E Aerospace, Rio Bravo Restaurant and more. Cover Story " ...
- Four Great Actively Managed Vanguard Funds @ Kiplinger - Wed, Apr 2, 2014 12:00 AM EDT
A longtime Vanguard watcher says you don't have to rely on the firm's index funds to produce superior results.
- Lineage Matters: Strong Firms' Funds Stand Taller @ Morningstar - Thu, Mar 20, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
New Morningstar study of asset managers shows good stewards have produced better funds.
- Morningstar Medalists That Are Easy to Own @ Morningstar - Mon, Mar 17, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Six funds with modest volatility and outstanding Morningstar Investor Returns.