- Are there publicly traded hedge funds? @ Investopedia - 1 hour 30 minutes ago
See why a privately arranged hedge fund may decide to take its fund public, and how the investing public at large can gain exposure to hedge fund value.
- Private Equity Gifts That Keep on Giving @ The Wall Street Journal - 6 hours ago
Santa Claus isn’t the only one handing out presents this season. Private equity firms are taking a turn in giving gifts to clients and portfolio companies, too.
- These 2 Hedge Funds Might Be Bruised From Yahoo's Recent Fall Benzinga - 6 hours ago
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd 's (NYSE: BABA ) price fall may have taken a toll on Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO ), which lost about 1.6 percent on Tuesday. Yahoo's overall performance for 2014 has been quite ...
- How Gilead And Johnson & Johnson's Tumble Could've Burned These Hedge Funds Benzinga - 8 hours ago
After a pretty good year, Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD ) is down significantly since the start of the week. The tumble was set in motion after Express Scripts Holding Company (NASDAQ: ESRX ), the ...
- Ackman, Robbins, Loeb score as hedge fund pay lags @ CNBC - 8 hours ago
A few billionaire investors have added to their fortunes with big takes in 2014, but the average hedge fund worker isn't likely to see a fat bonus.
- The Morning Leverage: Last-Minute Christmas Deals @ The Wall Street Journal - 8 hours ago
A roundup of private equity-related news.
- With crude fall, traders see opportunity here @ CNBC - 10 hours ago
The under-radar financial name that options traders are betting on.
- What does a hedge fund do? @ Investopedia - 10 hours ago
Read how hedge funds differ from other investment vehicles and how their investment strategies make them unique and potentially risky.
- A Bitter Fight for Caesars Assets @ BusinessWeek - 23 hours ago
Apollo and Elliott strike a tentative deal for the casino empire's assets, one that makes nobody happy
- Leon Black Takes on Paul Singer in Showdown Over $25 Billion in Casino Debt Bloomberg - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 6:57 PM EST
Leon Black and Paul Singer got rich by outsmarting other people. For much of this year they've been trying to outsmart each other. Black's Apollo Global Management LLC and Singer's Elliott Management Corp. ...
- Private equity’s gender gap isn’t going to change @ Fortune - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 2:10 PM EST
When it comes to women, most private equity investors don't have a clue.
- Ask Stacy: What the Heck is a Hedge Fund and How Do They Work? Money Talks News - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 11:35 AM EST
When people on Main Street hear the word “hedge,” they think bushes. Wall Street types, on the other hand, might picture something entirely different. Here’s this week’s reader question: What is a hedge ...
- Forget Tepper, hedge funds stay bullish @ CNBC - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 11:09 AM EST
"Trend bullish." That's how Bank of America Merrill Lynch describes hedge fund positioning into the end of 2014 in a new report.
- TGI Fridays sells UK franchise to Electra as private equity dines out Reuters - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 9:45 AM EST
LONDON (Reuters) - TGI Fridays, the casual dining restaurant chain known for its retro American-themed setting, has sold its UK franchise business to Electra Partners in the latest private equity buyout ...
- Learn From This New Low in Financial News US News - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 9:00 AM EST
I woke up on Dec. 14 to this stunning headline in the New York Post: "High school student scores $72M playing the stock market." It was a sensational story. The story was sourced to an original ...
- Triton sells German elevator parts maker Wittur to Bain Reuters - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 8:32 AM EST
U.S.-based private equity group Bain agreed to buy German elevator components maker Wittur from private equity groups Triton and Capvis, the companies said on Tuesday. The deal was valued at close to 600 ...
- Surprise ETF Losers From Oil’s Decline ETF Trends - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 8:20 AM EST
The United States Oil Fund (NYSEArca: USO) tumbled nearly 5% on Monday on volume that was about 50% higher than the daily average, bringing its three month loss north of 39%. As has been widely noted as ...
- Private equity hopes Petsmart marks a turn @ Financial Times - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 8:03 AM EST
BC Partners' $8.7bn buyout of Petsmart last week was not just this year's largest private equity transaction. Private equity executives say it could also signal the beginning of a period of heightened ...
- Why Big Corporate Buyouts Are No Longer Attracting Investors @ TheStreet.com - Tue, Dec 23, 2014 7:00 AM EST
The lack of big deals is expected to continue in 2015. It's not hard to see why: Investors are losing faith in private equity.
- Big Ocwen Bet Could Burn Hedge Fund Kingstown Capital @ Forbes - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 5:33 PM EST
Value-oriented hedge fund Kingstown Capital Management may have a problem after the firm rushed headlong into the shares of mortgage servicing giant Ocwen Financial Corp. amid the firm's regulatory troubles in 2014.
- Hedge fund industry's top performers mainly small, little-known Reuters - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 2:23 PM EST
The hedge fund industry's biggest performances in 2014 came from some of its smallest, least-known players, according to data from research firm Simplify. The results add heft to years of studies by industry ...
- 2015: The year hedge fund fees come down to earth? CNNMoney.com - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Sophisticated investors have this on their New Year's resolution list: Negotiate harder on hedge fund fees. At the moment, investors typically pay 2% just for the privilege of letting a hedge fund manage ...
- Private equity CEO raps in investor video @ CNNMoney.com - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Carlyle Group CEO David Rubenstein is a master deal maker in Washington, Wall Street and beyond, but his hip hop skills could use some work. In an ode to his firm's investment in Dr. Dre's Beats Electronics, ...
- Carlyle and Warburg Pincus to buy credit rating agency DBRS Reuters - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Carlyle Group LP and Warburg Pincus LLC said they would buy DBRS Ltd, the world's fourth-largest credit rating agency, in partnership with a consortium of Canadian investors including the firm's founder. ...
- Cuomo's Cap on Hedge Funds in Pensions Solves Only Part of the Problem @ BusinessWeek - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 9:54 AM EST
It just avoids making the existing underfunding worse
- The Morning Leverage: Webster Closes on $400 Million for Consumer and Health Deals @ The Wall Street Journal - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 9:43 AM EST
A roundup of private equity-related news.
- Jarden Equity up 3700% Plus in Last 10, 11 Years: Lillie @ Bloomberg - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 9:05 AM EST
Dec. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Jarden CEO Jim Lillie discusses the company’s performance and the challenges ahead on “In The Loop.” (Source: Bloomberg)
- Meredith Whitney’s Fund Said to Drop 11% @ Bloomberg - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 9:02 AM EST
Dec. 22 (Bloomberg) –- Meredith Whitney, who started a hedge fund after becoming one of Wall Street’s most famous analysts, is facing tough times. Bloomberg’s Max Abelson reports on “In The Loop.” (Source: ...
- Carlyle, Warburg Pincus Agree to Buy Canadian Credit Rater DBRS @ Bloomberg - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 7:56 AM EST
Buyout firms Carlyle Group LP and Warburg Pincus agreed to buy closely held DBRS, the fourth-largest credit rating company. Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed. Walter Schroeder, DBRS’s founder and controlling ...
- Oil Crash Wipes $11.7 Billion From Buyout Firms’ Holdings Bloomberg - Mon, Dec 22, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Oil's plunge makes energy a great investment for the coming years, according to Blackstone Group LP (BX)'s Stephen Schwarzman and Carlyle (CG) Group LP's David Rubenstein . For private equity firms, it's ...
- Investor in Meredith Whitney's hedge fund wants his money back-Bloomberg Reuters - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 4:57 PM EST
The biggest investor in Meredith Whitney's hedge fund has demanded his money back and two executives have left in the past month, Bloomberg reported, citing a person with knowledge of the firm. A fund ...
- Meredith Whitney’s Hedge Fund Said to Be in Turmoil @ Bloomberg - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 3:47 PM EST
The hedge fund Meredith Whitney started last year after she became one of Wall Street’s best-known analysts is in turmoil. Her biggest investor demanded his money back and two executives left in the past ...
- Meredith Whitney’s Hedge Fund Is in Turmoil Bloomberg - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 3:47 PM EST
The hedge fund Meredith Whitney started last year after she became one of Wall Street's best-known analysts is in turmoil. Her biggest investor demanded his money back and two executives left in the past ...
- Fed extends deadline for banks to divest from hedge funds @ MarketWatch - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 2:08 PM EST
A Dec. 18 story mistakenly said the Federal Reserve, not banks, would have until 2017 to divest from hedge funds. The article has been corrected.
- Icahn, Paulson Suffer Losses on Energy-Related Bets @ MarketWatch - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 11:13 AM EST
The recent slide in oil prices has caused sharp losses among some of Wall Street’s biggest names, the latest in a series of bad bets made by star investors during 2014. David Benoit joins MoneyBeat. Photo: ...
- Bumble Bee nets $1.51 billion for private-equity owner @ Fortune - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 7:46 AM EST
Thai Union Frozen Products purchasing the North America seafoods company, which generates about $1 billion in annual sales by selling seafood products.
- BlueCrest, Marshall Wace Build Short Positions in Oil Companies @ Bloomberg - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 6:28 AM EST
London hedge funds stepped up bets this month against European companies with the highest sensitivity to lower oil prices, speculating that share prices have further to fall. Firms including BlueCrest ...
- Credit-Rating Firm DBRS to Be Sold @ The Wall Street Journal - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:45 AM EST
Privately held credit-rating firm DBRS has reached an agreement in principle to sell itself to a group led by private-equity firms Carlyle Group and Warburg Pincus for more than $500 million.
- Oil’s Drop Hits Big Investors Hard @ The Wall Street Journal - Fri, Dec 19, 2014 12:42 AM EST
Carl Icahn and John Paulson, among others, have suffered large losses as their energy-related bets have soured.
- Leon Cooperman Raises Caesars Entertainment Stake Ahead of Debt Default GuruFocus.com - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 10:27 PM EST
Leon Cooperman (Trades, Portfolio) bought more shares of his existing holding Caesars Entertainment (CZR), according to GuruFocus RealTime Picks.
- Blackstone Ready to Wait 5 Years for Singapore Property Recovery @ Bloomberg - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:59 PM EST
Blackstone Group LP, which is taking part in the refinancing of luxury Singapore properties, is prepared to wait as long as five years for a turnaround in residential prices to see higher returns on the ...
- Farallon Capital starts new position in Time Warner Inc. Market Realist - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:39 PM EST
Farallon Capital Management initiated a position in Time Warner Inc. (TWX) during the third quarter of 2014. The position accounted for 2.85% of the fund’s 3Q14 portfolio.
- Stock Market's Two-Day Rally Has Bulls and Bears Wondering, What Gives? @ TheStreet.com - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:37 PM EST
Was the stock market move the past two days generated by short hedge funds caught leaning the wrong way?
- Private Capital Reduces Holdings in Healthcare Stocks GuruFocus.com - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Gregg Powers, who became CEO of Private Capital (Trades, Portfolio) Management when founder Bruce Sherman retired five years ago, began his career as a healthcare analyst at Raymond James Financial.
- Where we see opportunity: Blackstone's Schwarzman CNBC - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 5:16 PM EST
- Advent buys control of wholesale tech firm in 4th Brazil deal this year Reuters - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 3:55 PM EST
U.S. buyout firm Advent International Corp bought control of Brazilian wholesale technology products distributor Allied SA from rival One Equity Partners LLC on Thursday, on a bet that sales of mobile ...
- Farallon Capital’s important 3Q14 position changes Market Realist - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Positions sold by Farallon Capital Management during the third quarter of 2014 include Yahoo! Inc. (YHOO), Oracle Corp. (ORCL), and Weyerhaeuser Co. (WY).
- Blackstone’s Schwarzman Says Russia ’Too Complex’ for Investment @ Bloomberg - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 3:38 PM EST
Russia , which is contending with a slumping currency and falling oil prices, is too complex for foreign investors, Blackstone Group LP (BX)’s Stephen Schwarzman said. “Russia is too complex at the moment, ...
- KKR Takes Control of 1.2 Billion Euros of Greek Bank’s Loans @ Bloomberg - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 12:51 PM EST
KKR & Co. LP (KKR), the private equity firm run by Henry Kravis and George Roberts , agreed to take control of 1.2 billion euros ($1.5 billion) of loans made by Piraeus Bank SA (TPEIR), Greece’s second-largest ...
- TPG Capital nears first close on giant new fund @ Fortune - Thu, Dec 18, 2014 11:37 AM EST
TPG Capital continues to raise big dollars against a lackluster track record.