- [$$] Record Earnings Lift Whirlpool @ Barrons.com - 1 hour 6 minutes ago
With nearly $19 billion of sales in 2013, Whirlpool is the world's No. 1 manufacturer of home appliances. The 103-year-old Michigan company last Monday enhanced its quarterly common dividend by 20% and announced a new stock-repurchase plan worth $500 million. Citing its record 2013 earnings performance and margin expansion, …
- [$$] After Tech's Selloff, Earnings Lack a Big Impact @ Barrons.com - 1 hour 12 minutes ago
The abbreviated U.S. trading week was appropriately clipped: The four days saw the first earnings reports from tech land for March, and they were anything but memorable. The first earnings reports came from the underdogs of tech: Yahoo! (YHOO) and Intel (INTC) both performed better than expected, though their shares were …
- Providence, R.I., sues firms over stock trades @ USA TODAY - 3 hours ago
Stock exchanges, dozens of Wall Street banks and other financial firms sued over split-second trading.
- Venture capital funding soars to levels last seen in dot-com bubble @ Los Angeles Times - 5 hours ago
Investors pour $9.5 billion into U.S. start-ups during the first quarter of 2014, the biggest amount since the second three months of 2001, when the so-called dot-com boom was gasping.
- Venture Capital Investment Climbs to Dotcom-Era Levels The Fiscal Times - 11 hours ago
Venture capital partnerships invested $9.5 billion in 951 deals during the first three months of 2014, more than in any quarter since April through June of 2001, when dotcoms were turning into “dot bombs” at a record clip. That’s according to the regular MoneyTree Report produced by PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National …
- Zynga Or Groupon: Which Would You Rather? Benzinga - 14 hours ago
In recent years investors in the stock market, as well as institutional investors and private equity firms, have all been looking for relatively safe and high-return companies where they can park their ...
- A Chobani IPO: Is Now the Right Time? @ 24/7 Wall St. - 17 hours ago
Chobani, the top seller of Greek yogurt in the United States, reportedly is exploring its options to raise capital, perhaps by taking the company public or by selling a stake to a private investor. But ...
- Shares of Weibo soar on debut @ Los Angeles Times - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 9:36 PM EDT
The Chinese social network surges as much as 44% on its first day of trading.
- IPO market is casualty of stock market pullback @ USA TODAY - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 9:13 PM EDT
The once-booming IPO market has come down to earth after a stock sell-off cools speculation.
- Weibo Spikes 19.06% In Its Debut @ TechCrunch - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 4:24 PM EDT
This morning Weibo went public, offering fewer shares than previously expected, though the bloc was priced at $17, in line with yesterday's reporting.
- P&G, AT&T Among Citi's 'Bond Refugee' Yieldy Dividend Stocks @ Barrons.com - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 3:48 PM EDT
Citi equity researchers today updated their "Global Bond Refugees" screen, which they came up with last year to help investors dissatisfied by low bond yields but wary of stock volatility. Citi says its list highlights bond-like stocks with "premium" dividend yields and low drawdowns - a measure of price volatility - at …
- Sina Lifts Off on Weibo IPO, Bullish Comments from Stifel Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 2:47 PM EDT
On Thursday, Stifel Nicolaus lowered the price target for Sina Corp (NASDAQ: SINA ) from $80 to $100, which is still much higher than the current price of $56.27. Analyst Zim Yin maintained a Buy rating ...
- China's Twitter rival, Weibo, scores in IPO @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 1:35 PM EDT
Weibo's shares are rising in the Chinese social media company's debut in the U.S. Weibo provides a Twitter-like service that allows users to post up to 140 Chinese characters to share with others.
- D.A. Davidson Upgrades Universal Forest Products, Increases 2Q Estimates Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 1:21 PM EDT
Analyst Steven Chercover at D.A. Davidson & Co. on Thursday, April 17, 2014, upgraded the rating on Universal Forest Products (NASDAQ: UFPI ) from Neutral to Buy. Shares of the company are down $2.64 or ...
- Apple Likely to Increase Stock Buyback Plan, According to Bernstein Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 1:14 PM EDT
Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL ) will likely announce an increase in its stock buyback plan, according to Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi. The firm reiterated an Outperform rating and $575 price target on ...
- Weibo Opens, Moves Sharply Higher Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 1:02 PM EDT
Weibo (NASDAQ: WB ) issued a 16.8 million share IPO raising $285.6 million. Initial offering price is set at $17, at the low end of $17 to $19 expected range. Shares opened for trading at $16.27 and ...
- Weibo IPO Rises Above Drooping Expectations 24/7 Wall St. - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 12:55 PM EDT
Ahead of its IPO, Weibo both priced shares at the low end of its expected range of $17 to $19 apiece, and it reduced the number of shares offered. Shares opened even lower, before rising 13%.
- Pacific Crest Analyst Sees 47% Upside in Shares of Netflix Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 12:55 PM EDT
On Thursday, Pacific Crest upgraded shares of Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX ) from Sector Perform to Outperform and announced a $500 price target. Analyst Andy Hargreaves expects “international expansion to accelerate ...
- [$$] Netflix Reels In the Bulls @ Barrons.com - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 12:23 PM EDT
A funny thing is happening to Netflix ahead of Monday's upcoming earnings report. Some investors are buying bullish options in anticipation of a rally. In the past month, Netflix (NFLX) stock plunged 20% as investors dumped momentum stocks and began fretting that sky-high valuations were not sustainable. Netflix trades …
- An Alibaba IPO Will Shake Up E-Commerce Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 10:28 AM EDT
Alibaba.com is big. From a transaction volume standpoint, $240 billion big, according to Wall Street Journal sources. That’s twice the size of Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) and three times the size of eBay (NASDAQ: ...
- Stock Upgrades: Can Netflix, Its Development Recently Arrested, Stop Falling Like a House of Cards? @ Minyanville - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 9:25 AM EDT
Wall Street ratings agencies set the tone for today's stock market.
- Top Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades: Alcoa, BofA, Boardwalk, Netflix, NBG, SanDisk and More @ 24/7 Wall St. - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
These are this Thursday's top analyst upgrades, downgrades and initiations from Wall Street. They include Alcoa, Bank of America, Boardwalk, Netflix, NBG and SanDisk.
- Wednesday IPO Review & Sneak-Peek For Thursday, April 17 Benzinga - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 7:39 AM EDT
Three IPOs hit exchange floors Wednesday, Moelis & Co (NYSE: MC ), Opus Bank (NASDAQ: OPB ), and Trivascular Technologies (NASDAQ: TRIV ). Trading opened with mixed results, seeing Moelis & Company and ...
- Weibo’s IPO May Underwhelm, But Don’t Discount Other Chinese Tech Stocks @ TechCrunch - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 3:51 AM EDT
Weibo, the influential microblogging service owned by Sina, has reportedly raised just $285.6 million in its initial public offering, according to Bloomberg. The service's underwhelming IPO, however, should ...
- Alibaba plans IPO in U.S., not Hong Kong @ Los Angeles Times - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 8:57 PM EDT
Alibaba's IPO could raise $15 billion at an estimated valuation of up to $200 billion. It could be the largest tech IPO ever.
- Is the Financial Media Warding Off a Bubble? @ Barrons.com - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 7:22 PM EDT
Want some solid evidence that the overall stock market is not in bubble territory? Case in point is a fresh Bloomberg piece by Barry Ritholtz, the investor advisor and popular financial blogger.
- Investment bank Moelis' stock jumps after scaled-down IPO @ Los Angeles Times - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 6:51 PM EDT
Moelis & Co. climbed in its trading debut after raising less than planned in the first U.S. initial public offering of an investment bank since the financial crisis.
- Baylake Corp. Declares Dividend and Extends Stock Repurchase Program Benzinga - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 6:01 PM EDT
Baylake Corp. (NASDAQ: BYLK ), the parent company for Baylake Bank, is pleased to announce that its Board of Directors on April 15, 2014 declared a quarterly dividend of $0.07 per share on the Company's ...
- Bigger than Facebook? Chinese tech giant Alibaba plans U.S. IPO @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 5:23 PM EDT
The largest tech IPO of the year will come from a company that many Americans have never heard of. Alibaba -- the Chinese e-commerce behemoth that produces more sales and net income than Amazon and eBay ...
- JDSU Issues Restricted Stock Units in Connection With Acquisition of Time-Bandwidth Products Benzinga - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 4:30 PM EDT
JDSU (NASDAQ: JDSU ) today announced that, in connection with the acquisition of Time-Bandwidth Products, a provider of high-powered and ultrafast lasers for the industrial and scientific markets, which ...
- UPDATE: ADP Issues Release Recommending Holders Reject TRC Capital's Below-Market Price Mini-Tender … Benzinga - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 3:02 PM EDT
ADP® (Nasdaq: ADP ), a leading global provider of Human Capital Management (HCM) solutions, has been notified of an unsolicited "mini-tender offer" made by TRC Capital Corporation (TRC Capital) ...
- [$$] Goldman: Buy Amazon @ Barrons.com - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 2:06 PM EDT
Goldman Sachs is so bullish on Amazon.com that it is telling clients to buy Amazon's (AMZN) bullish calls in anticipation the stock surges in reaction to the release of first-quarter earnings on April 24. With the stock at $316.80, Goldman is advising clients to buy the May $320 call for $14.70. Goldman's conviction on …
- Medical Device Maker’s IPO a Modest Success 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 1:05 PM EDT
Some initial public offerings (IPOs) are considered a huge success if the stock appreciates more than about 20% on its IPO date. To some, though, that’s an unsuccessful launch from the company’s point ...
- Yahoo! Up 7%: Alibaba Upside in Focus; Street Likes Search, Display Trends @ Barrons.com - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 12:52 PM EDT
Shares of Yahoo! (YHOO) are up $2.14, or 6%, at $36.35, holding onto most of last night's after-hours gains, after the company beat revenue and earnings per share expectations for Q1, and forecast revenue this quarter in line with expectations, and disclosed a revenue increase for Alibaba Group Holding, in which it has …
- Full GE Earnings Preview @ 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 11:50 AM EDT
General Electric is expected to report earnings on Thursday morning before the open. GE's report likely will be dominated by more talk of the impending consumer finance unit spin-off.
- Two IPOs Show IPO Market Losing Luster 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 11:20 AM EDT
Of four initial public offerings (IPO) scheduled to begin trading on Wednesday, we have seen two and await the others. Both IPOs now trading priced below their expected range, and one offered fewer shares ...
- Pre-Market: Yahoo Shares Boosted Ahead of Alibaba IPO; Chinese Economic Growth Slows @ Minyanville - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 9:07 AM EDT
Earnings season is in full swing.
- Top Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades: Control4, Cree, NetApp, Twitter, Yahoo!, Yelp and More @ 24/7 Wall St. - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 8:55 AM EDT
These are the top analyst upgrades, downgrades and initiations from Wall Street on Wednesday, April 16, 2014. They include Control4, Cree, NetApp, Twitter, Yahoo! and Yelp.
- Cardica Prices Public Offering of Common Stock and Preferred Stock at $0.85 per Share Benzinga - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 8:02 AM EDT
Cardica, Inc. (Nasdaq: CRDC ) today announced the pricing of an underwritten public offering of 32,500,000 shares of its common stock, offered at a price to the public of $0.85 per share, and 191,474 shares ...
- Paycom Stumbles After Delayed Opening Benzinga - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 7:39 AM EDT
Paycom Software (NASDAQ: PAYC ) opened for trading shortly on Tuesday after 9:30 am EST, facing heavy selling pressure. Paycom quickly sold off, shedding 15 percent by 10:30 a.m. Trading was delayed since ...
- What Are Tech Shares Worth? Depends Which Side of the IPO You’re On @ BusinessWeek - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 5:56 AM EDT
Venture capital fundraising is on the rise in the first quarter, while stocks from Facebook, Twitter, and others have dropped in recent weeks
- Jamie Dimon’s Long To-Do List at JPMorgan Chase The Fiscal Times - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 5:15 AM EDT
Jamie Dimon may have believed that when he closed the doors on the financial crisis of 2007 and 2008, his toughest days as CEO of JPMorgan Chase (NYSE: JPM) were behind him. That “to do” list had become a long one over the last few years, as JP MorganChase and Dimon have come to displace Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS) and CEO …
- TriVascular Technologies 6.5M share IPO priced at $12.00 theflyonthewall.com - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 9:14 PM EDT
The IPO priced below the $13.00-$15.00 range. JPMorgan and Credit Suisse acted as joint book running managers for the offering.
- J.C. Penney Down 20% in the Past Week @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
The wariness about the turnaround at J.C. Penney Co. bubbled to the surface again in the past week. The wariness appears to have turned to outright fear on Tuesday.
- Bernstein Upgrades Citi To Buy Amid 'Increasing Confidence' In Its Execution @ Barrons.com - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 11:34 AM EDT
Citigroup (C) was gaining ground again Tuesday, following its Monday rally on better-than-expected first-quarter earnings, thanks to an upgrade from Sanford Bernstein. They write that the move comes as they have increased confidence in Citi's ability to improve core efficiency and get on track to achieve a 0.9% return …
- City Office, Paycom IPOs Get No Traction @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 10:55 AM EDT
Two initial public offerings delayed from last week priced on Monday and began trading Tuesday morning. Both priced well below their expected ranges, and neither looks to be off to a roaring start. City ...
- More Concerning Statistics About Twitter's User Base Benzinga - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 10:08 AM EDT
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR ) has a problem on its hands. More data now confirms that Twitter's user base probably isn’t as large as investors would like to believe. Citing a report from Twitter monitoring website, ...
- Four Post-IPO Quiet Periods End for Strong Analyst Initiations @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 10:05 AM EDT
Wall Street brokerage firms have to go through a quiet period after initial public offerings. In this time, the firms that participated in the underwriting syndicate cannot make analyst ratings and cannot ...
- Stock Upgrades: Do You Yahoo? It May Be Time To @ Minyanville - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 9:23 AM EDT
Wall Street ratings agencies set the tone for today's stock market.
- Jefferies Stocks to Buy That Could Jump From an Earnings Surprise @ 24/7 Wall St. - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 8:15 AM EDT
In a new research report, Jefferies highlights stocks that may exceed earnings estimates when the companies report in the next few weeks. These stocks could move up nicely on a surprise.