- [$$] Join the Money Crowd @ Barrons.com - 15 hours ago
Once the purview of the very wealthy, the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act allowed accredited investors—defined as those with $200,000 in annual income ($300,000 for couples) or a household net worth of $1 million or more, not including a primary residence—to provide angel investing. Prior to the act's implementation …
- Swiss startup creates a wearable chair so you can rest anywhere @ Engadget - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 9:17 PM EDT
Most of the wearable gadgets getting people hot and bothered either strap onto your face or your wrist, but Swiss startup noonee has cooked up a little something that straps to your legs instead. Well, ...
- Is Google Too Big for Pittsburgh? @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 6:20 PM EDT
Startups blame the company for stealing engineers and driving up wages
- This Is Y Combinator's Next Hot Area of Investment Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 1:06 PM EDT
For the first time, the accelerator program is actively recruiting startups outside the tech space.
- LG's L-series phones keep the flair but drop the specs @ Engadget - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 8:11 AM EDT
With its latest L-series devices, LG is sticking to its script of building low-spec devices that retain some of the design cues, features and software of its higher-end handsets. Like earlier models, both ...
- Big Business Meets the Startup World Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 11:47 AM EDT
- US investors pump funds into Europe's digital scene @ Financial Times - Tue, Aug 19, 2014 1:40 PM EDT
American venture capital groups are investing more into European technology start-ups, as US investors look to cash in on the rise of the continent's fledgling digital groups. New data show that Europe's ...
- Security software makers learn to counter-punch more @ USA TODAY - Sun, Aug 17, 2014 2:24 PM EDT
Successful intrusions into the computer systems of Fortune 500 companies are fast becoming routine.
- Google snags Instagram-scanning city guide startup Jetpac @ Engadget - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 8:28 PM EDT
Google's summer of startup acquisitions rolls on, ladies and gentlemen. In today's installment, the search giant snapped up a San Francisco-based travel startup called Jetpac for (you guessed it!) an undisclosed ...
- Transitioning From the Secure Corporate Nest to Entrepreneur Digs Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
- 5 Startups to Watch at Y Combinator's Demo Day Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
- Why Leveraging Sales to Finance Growth Is Better Than Wooing a VC Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 14, 2014 10:30 AM EDT
- 4 Tips From Experts on Hiring the People Who Make the CEO a Star Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 6:30 PM EDT
- San Francisco software company Lookout raises $150 million for mobile security @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 1:26 PM EDT
San Francisco mobile security company Lookout nabbed a $150 million investment, the largest funding round raised by a security company this year. The investment exceeds all previous funding rounds combined ...
- The 7 Due Diligence Basics for Investing in a Startup Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
- What's on your HDTV: Shark Week, 'Wilfred' series finale and 'Mission Blue' @ Engadget - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 6:43 PM EDT
This week sports fans can check out preseason NFL action, Little League World Series and the US Men's basketball team. Of course, it's also Shark Week and as usual, Discovery is trying to squeeze a few ...
- VC quarterly report: Looking a lot like the last dot-com boom @ San Jose Mercury News - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
Any way you slice it, the second quarter this year has been bigger and better for VCs and startups than any other quarter in about a decade -- and we may have the dot-com boom to thank for at least part ...
- BuzzFeed plans feature films, gets $50 million from Andreessen Horowitz @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 1:05 PM EDT
BuzzFeed, the website known for its humorous top-10 lists, is expanding into feature films.
- How Kickstarter Turned Into the Venture Capitalist's Best Friend @ BusinessWeek - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Crowdfunding didn't turn into a VC killer after all. Projects that raised more than $100,000 on Kickstarter have gone on to raise hundreds of millions from venture capitalists
- You'll never guess how much BuzzFeed raised from Andreessen Horowitz @ Financial Times - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 5:30 AM EDT
1. OK, maybe you will If you guess $50m. BuzzFeed's new investor is one of Silicon Valley's best-known venture capital firms, Andreessen Horowitz. This is literally what happens when you create an INSANELY ...
- BuzzFeed receives $50 million from Andreessen Horowitz @ USA TODAY - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 4:53 AM EDT
BuzzFeed gets a $50 million investment from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz.
- US venture fund Nyca Partners seeks fintech edge @ Financial Times - Sun, Aug 10, 2014 7:37 AM EDT
A new venture capital fund seeks to bridge the divide between Wall Street banks and Silicon Valley entrepreneurs by bringing together seasoned bankers and tech executives to support start-ups aiming to ...
- Coax the Right Tech Nerd to Partner With at Your Startup Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 8, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
- General Electric Wants to Act Like a Startup @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 7, 2014 7:55 PM EDT
Its FastWorks project aims to roll out products faster and cheaper
- Arrogance Is Good: In Defense of Silicon Valley @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 7, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
The tech industry’s elite have a reputation for arrogance. Do they deserve it?
- Have a Burning Business Question? Ask the Expert: Alex Katz. Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 1:30 PM EDT
- Which 'Senior' Startup Founder Is The Smarter Investment? Benzinga - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 10:35 AM EDT
If you're a venture capitalist, your office is typically swarmed on a daily basis with startup founders of archetypal fashion: college students and recent grads in their “signature Mark Zuckerberg hoodie ...
- 20 Somethings vs. 50 Somethings Which "Senior" Startup Founder is the Smarter Investment? (Top 10 Attributes … Benzinga - Mon, Aug 4, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
If you're a Venture Capitalist, you're office is typically swarmed on a daily basis with startup founders of archetypal fashion... ...college students and recent grads in their “signature Mark Zuckerberg ...
- 5 Essential Reads for Startup Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 1, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
- Investments in L.A. tech more than triple since 2009 @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 1:20 PM EDT
It turns out Snapchat, Tinder and Oculus Rift are not the only hot tech companies in Southern California. There’s so much startup action in the Los Angeles and Santa Monica that the region has become a ...
- An Insider's Perspective on Wooing Investors to Your Startup Entrepreneur - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 10:30 AM EDT
- 4 Reasons Why Your Startup May Never Be Successful Entrepreneur - Wed, Jul 30, 2014 11:30 AM EDT
- Manatt, ICM, Originate launch O Labs, new investment arm for startups @ Los Angeles Times - Wed, Jul 30, 2014 11:21 AM EDT
A law firm, a marketing agency and a software development company have formed a joint venture based in Los Angeles to incubate startups building products and services in line with the needs of major businesses, ...
- Thinking of Joining an Incubator? Check Off These 5 Things First. Entrepreneur - Tue, Jul 29, 2014 4:30 PM EDT
- A Reality Check for Anyone Eager to Work for a Startup Entrepreneur - Tue, Jul 29, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
- How Much of Your Company Should You Give to New Co-Founders? Entrepreneur - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
- 5 European Startups That Google Should Fund Benzinga - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 2:33 PM EDT
Google (NASDAQ: GOOG ) (NASDAQ: GOOGL ) recently announced that it will begin investing in European startups. The company's venture fund, Google Ventures, already assists local startups, including Flatiron ...
- Funding Flash: a new firm in town, and $500 million available for biotech @ San Jose Mercury News - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 2:03 PM EDT
In case Silicon Valley’s venture pool wasn’t frothy enough for you, there’s a new VC firm in town. PointGuard Ventures, started by VC veterans Krish Panu and Pete Thomas, announced on Thursday their new ...
- Knicks star Carmelo Anthony invests in SF kitchen-tech startup @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Jul 24, 2014 4:32 PM EDT
Basketball All-Star Carmelo Anthony just placed a big bet — off the court. Anthony, a forward for the New York Knicks, has invested in a San Francisco kitchen-tech startup through his new venture capital ...
- Finding the Right Angel Investor for You Entrepreneur - Wed, Jul 23, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
- The 10 L.A. startups that raised the most money this spring @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Jul 22, 2014 2:12 PM EDT
Led by Swagbucks’ $60 million round of fund-raising, 35 Los Angeles County startups raised more than $330 million from April through June in what was a booming second quarter for startup investment nationwide....
- Will laid-off Microsoft workers end up at startups? @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Jul 22, 2014 1:49 PM EDT
Flexible work arrangements and better prospects to grow their skills could attract thousands of recently laid off employees at Microsoft to jobs at startups.
- Dot-com Bubble Déjà Vu for Venture Funds? Think Again The Fiscal Times - Fri, Jul 18, 2014 12:45 PM EDT
A report issued Friday, finding that venture capitalists poured more money into start-up firms in the second quarter of 2014 than in any three-month period since 2001, put some people in mind of the dot-com bubble of the late 1990s. According to the MoneyTree report, issued by PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National Venture …
- Silicon Valley venture investments continue to set records @ San Jose Mercury News - Fri, Jul 18, 2014 12:01 AM EDT
Venture capital firms in the valley invested $7.1 billion in private tech firms and startups in the second quarter this year, a 45 percent increase over the first quarter -- which, until now, had been ...
- 3 Tools Your Startup Needs to Raise More Money Entrepreneur - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
- Valley venture capital investments continue at record pace @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 10:23 AM EDT
Silicon Valley investors poured more money into health care startups and hot consumer apps such as Uber and Airbnb during the second quarter of this year, making the spring months the biggest in dollar ...
- The Excessively Networked VC Behind SherpaVentures @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 3:00 AM EDT
An Iranian-born entrepreneur is using his vast connections to start his own VC firm, SherpaVentures
- Shervin Pishevar And Scott Stanford’s SherpaVentures Closes $150 Million For Its First Fund @ TechCrunch - Thu, Jul 17, 2014 12:25 AM EDT
SherpaVentures, the venture firm founded by former Menlo Ventures partner Shervin Pishevar and former Goldman Sachs banker Scott Stanford, is finally ready to be less vague about what it’s doing. After ...
- Balderton Injects $6.5M Into Crowdcube’s Funding Platform @ TechCrunch - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 7:00 PM EDT
Balderton Capital is leading an investment into investment crowdfunding platform Crowdcube. Yes, things really have got that meta in the startup investment world.
- Investors Cash Out Of Payment Technology Startups @ TechCrunch - Wed, Jul 16, 2014 5:11 PM EDT
Even as a clutch of new payment technology companies including Zooz Mobile and Plastiq announce new financing rounds today, it seems like investors are no longer paying out for payment companies. Over ...