- What Do Snoop Dogg, Marc Andreessen and Peter Thiel Have in Common? Reddit, Y'all. Entrepreneur - 4 hours ago
- Reddit community braces for change after site raises $50 million @ San Jose Mercury News - 6 hours ago
Social news site Reddit has raised $50 million from celebrities such as rapper Snoop Dogg and actor and musician Jared Leto, raising concerns among the loyal Reddit community that changes may be ahead ...
- Beats sues headphone startup CEO for saying he's a co-founder (updated) @ Engadget - 7 hours ago
Beats isn't happy that ROAM CEO Steven Lamar is taking credit for co-founding its headphone business and demanding extra royalties -- it's firing back with a lawsuit of its own. The Apple-owned company ...
- Anworth Announces Increase to Series B Preferred Stock Conversion Rate Benzinga - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 4:06 PM EDT
Anworth Mortgage Asset Corporation (NYSE: ANH ) announced that in accordance with the terms of Anworth's 6.25% Series B Cumulative Convertible Preferred Stock, or Series B Preferred Stock, the conversion ...
- Blackstone, PAAMCO Funding Hedge Fund Startup Raveneur @ Barrons.com - Tue, Sep 30, 2014 4:00 PM EDT
Mark S. Black's Raveneur hedge fund has already lined up nearly $400 million in assets, largely from deep-pocketed Blackstone Group (BX) and Pacific Alternative Asset Management (PAAMCO), according to sources close to the low-profile startup. PAAMCO sank $150 million into the fund, with Blackstone expected to follow shortly …
- Quinn: Listening to the VC dog whistle @ San Jose Mercury News - Mon, Sep 29, 2014 8:48 PM EDT
Key figures in the venture capital world are starting, in a very subtle way, to raise hints that some air may soon be taken out of the Silicon Valley economy.
- Quoted: Marc Andreessen predicts big-spender startups will go poof @ San Jose Mercury News - Fri, Sep 26, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
“New founders in last 10 years have ONLY been in environment where money is always easy to raise at higher valuations. THAT WILL NOT LAST. When the market turns, and it will turn, we will find out who ...
- Online survey company Qualtrics nabs $1 billion valuation @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Sep 24, 2014 7:07 PM EDT
Qualtrics is the latest software company to join the $1 billion club with a mega investment from Silicon Valley venture firms Sequoia Capital and Accel Partners. The online-survey creator on Wednesday ...
- 3 Hard Choices That Can Boost Your Odds of Startup Success Entrepreneur - Wed, Sep 24, 2014 1:15 PM EDT
- Behind the Venture Capital Boom: Public Pensions @ BusinessWeek - Tue, Sep 23, 2014 12:52 PM EDT
Public pensions, responsible for the retirement of nearly 20 million Americans, have been the biggest source of venture capital funding for at least two years
- When Your Big Business Idea Stalls, Ask These 3 Questions Entrepreneur - Mon, Sep 22, 2014 12:00 PM EDT
- Secrets of Silicon Valley @ Financial Times - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 7:34 PM EDT
The silicon road Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future, by Peter Thiel with Blake Masters, Virgin Books, RRP£16.99/Crown Business, RRP$27, 224 pages How Google Works, by Eric Schmidt ...
- On topic: Tech news to know now @ San Jose Mercury News - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 12:53 PM EDT
Once again, we’ve got your tech news links right here. Well, that didn’t take long. Google announces that its next-generation Android OS will have encryption turned on by default, just like Apple’s iOS. ...
- What Co-Working Spaces Can Teach You about Morale and Engagement Entrepreneur - Fri, Sep 19, 2014 10:15 AM EDT
- Want to Get Your Startup Into an Accelerator? Try These 5 Things. Entrepreneur - Thu, Sep 18, 2014 1:30 PM EDT
- Which Is a Better City for Startups, San Francisco or New York City? Entrepreneur - Wed, Sep 17, 2014 4:15 PM EDT
Entrepreneurs, investors and executives weigh in.
- UC plans VC fund to finance startups @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 6:52 PM EDT
The University of California on Monday announced plans for a $250 million venture capital fund to finance startups created by students and faculty, signaling a growing interest to cash in on companies ...
- Mark Cuban Explains What Separates Silicon Valley From Everywhere Else Benzinga - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 5:03 PM EDT
Mark Cuban knows a thing or two about investing. Over the past two decades, he has built up a net worth of $2.6 billion and turned around an NBA franchise. Mark Cuban's appearances on ABC's "Shark ...
- UC proposes $250 million venture fund for faculty- and student-led startups @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 2:07 PM EDT
The University of California has announced plans for a venture-capital fund to finance startups created on campuses, offering financial resources to the university-housed enterprise projects that VC firms ...
- University of California announced plans to create new venture fund for startups @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 11:15 AM EDT
The University of California announced Monday plans to create a $250 million independent venture fund to pursue investments in enterprises funded by UC research, subject to approval by its Board of Regents....
- UC proposes $250 million venture fund for faculty- and studet-led startups @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Sep 16, 2014 2:09 AM EDT
The University of California has announced plans for a venture-capital fund to finance startups created on campuses, offering financial resources to the university-housed startups that VC firms often steer ...
- 25 Reasons I Will Not Invest in Your Startup Entrepreneur - Mon, Sep 15, 2014 1:15 PM EDT
What’s the point in losing money on purpose? Here are some telltale clues that your business is not a sound proposition.
- Go Fund Yourself Entrepreneur - Fri, Sep 12, 2014 1:15 PM EDT
- Google buys an online polling startup to help improve Google+ @ Engadget - Thu, Sep 11, 2014 9:03 PM EDT
You know what Google+ really needs, more than anything else? Polls. Right, maybe not, but Google did just acquire a startup (yes, another one!) called Polar that specialized in crafting buzzy online polls ...
- Digital Realty Trust, Inc. Returns 40% YTD And Has More Great News For Investors Benzinga - Thu, Sep 11, 2014 3:40 PM EDT
Data center REITs provide investors an innovative way to cash in on the exponential growth of big data and the cloud computing revolution. Industry pioneer Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: DLR ) has increased ...
- BMW reveals all-new 2 Series convertibles @ Los Angeles Times - Wed, Sep 10, 2014 8:00 AM EDT
BMW’s cheapest coupe lost its top Tuesday as the automaker unveiled the all-new 2 Series convertible.
- BMW introduces topless 2 Series @ USA TODAY - Tue, Sep 9, 2014 6:01 PM EDT
The cloth top can be opened or closed in 20 seconds in speeds up to 30 miles per hour
- Diageo Asks Tech Startups to Solve These Boozy Problems @ BusinessWeek - Mon, Sep 8, 2014 2:23 PM EDT
Diageo is offering to fund pilots by tech companies to help reduce irresponsible drinking and theft
- salesforce.com, inc. Launches $100 Million Venture Fund Benzinga - Mon, Sep 8, 2014 2:02 PM EDT
salesforce.com, inc. (NYSE: CRM ) launched a $100 million venture fund to invest in companies developing mobile apps related to the Salesforce products. The San Francisco-based customer relations and cloud ...
- A New Program to Support Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur - Mon, Sep 8, 2014 12:45 PM EDT
- Salesforce Launches $100 Million Fund to Invest in Entrepreneurs Building Apps On Its Platform Entrepreneur - Mon, Sep 8, 2014 11:58 AM EDT
- 4 Ways Large Companies Can Rediscover Their Inner Startup Entrepreneur - Fri, Sep 5, 2014 5:15 PM EDT
- Angel Investor Ali Partovi joins food-tech startup Hampton Creek @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Sep 4, 2014 7:59 PM EDT
Ali Partovi, a top tech angel investor, has joined food-tech startup Hampton Creek to pioneer the company’s growth, becoming the latest in a wave of Silicon Valley leaders to latch onto a movement that ...
- Your Startup Can Thrive Without VC That it Will Probably Never Get Anyway Entrepreneur - Thu, Sep 4, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
- The Largest VC Fund ($500M) Raised by Majority-Female Partners Quietly Closed in June Entrepreneur - Wed, Sep 3, 2014 4:16 PM EDT
- Google's health startup forges venture with AbbVie Associated Press - Wed, Sep 3, 2014 2:09 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Google's ambitious health startup is teaming up with biotechnology drugmaker AbbVie in a $500 million joint venture that will try to develop new ways to treat cancer and other diseases such as Alzheimer's.
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Joint Ventures Entrepreneur - Tue, Sep 2, 2014 3:45 PM EDT
- When Picking a Startup to Join, Think Like an Investor Entrepreneur - Tue, Sep 2, 2014 10:15 AM EDT
- Recent equity developments and management outlook Market Realist - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
Safe Bulkers' management believes that it doesn't want to over leverage the company. It wants to maintain a controlled debt level of ~50%. Also, it doesn't want to issue shares at this point and dilute ...
- Top 50 Universities for VC-Backed Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 3:35 PM EDT
- Why Carmelo Anthony Is Funding SeatGeek @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
Call it the Kayak of sports and concert tickets
- Jessica Alba's Startup Raises $70 Million as It Prepares to Go Public Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 4:06 PM EDT
- 7 Illusions to Shed in the First 100 Days of Your Startup Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 3:00 PM EDT
- Quoted: on startups and changing the world @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 12:17 PM EDT
“I’d love to create more meaningful products that have a significant impact on the world, but how can I if I can’t afford to pay my own rent first?” — Pieter Levels, 28, whose goal is to launch 12 startups ...
- Nutanix raises $140 million as it readies for 2015 IPO @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 11:00 AM EDT
San Jose-based Nutanix announced a new round of funding Wednesday that pushes its value to more than $2 billion.
- Honest Co. hauls in $70 million from investors as it eyes IPO @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 9:45 PM EDT
As the Jessica Alba-founded start-up Honest Co. eyes a listing on the stock market, it's picking up an additional $70 million in funding.
- 3 Unconventional Tips on Building a Startup Entrepreneur - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
- Quoted: on Russia’s startup environment @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 12:14 PM EDT
“The chances of any startup working are already low, and if you add up the corruption risk and legal and political risk, it’s insane to start a company [in Russia] if you could move it to California or ...
- USC, UCLA, Caltech get joint grant to fuel tech start-ups in L.A. @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 12:10 PM EDT
With funding from the National Science Foundation, three of the top universities in Southern California are teaming up to supply instruction, events and research aimed at helping technology start-ups flourish ...
- Job listing service ZipRecruiter raises $63 million @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 11:34 AM EDT
ZipRecruiter, a Santa Monica start-up that tries to simplify tasks for recruiters, has raised $63 million in initial venture capital funding as the 4-year-old service races to keep up with growing demand....