- Recent equity developments and management outlook Market Realist - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
Safe Bulkers' management believes that it doesn't want to over leverage the company. It wants to maintain a controlled debt level of ~50%. Also, it doesn't want to issue shares at this point and dilute ...
- Top 50 Universities for VC-Backed Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 3:35 PM EDT
- Why Carmelo Anthony Is Funding SeatGeek @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 28, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
Call it the Kayak of sports and concert tickets
- Jessica Alba's Startup Raises $70 Million as It Prepares to Go Public Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 4:06 PM EDT
- 7 Illusions to Shed in the First 100 Days of Your Startup Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 3:00 PM EDT
- Quoted: on startups and changing the world @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 12:17 PM EDT
“I’d love to create more meaningful products that have a significant impact on the world, but how can I if I can’t afford to pay my own rent first?” — Pieter Levels, 28, whose goal is to launch 12 startups ...
- Nutanix raises $140 million as it readies for 2015 IPO @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 27, 2014 11:00 AM EDT
San Jose-based Nutanix announced a new round of funding Wednesday that pushes its value to more than $2 billion.
- Honest Co. hauls in $70 million from investors as it eyes IPO @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 9:45 PM EDT
As the Jessica Alba-founded start-up Honest Co. eyes a listing on the stock market, it's picking up an additional $70 million in funding.
- 3 Unconventional Tips on Building a Startup Entrepreneur - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 2:00 PM EDT
- Quoted: on Russia’s startup environment @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 12:14 PM EDT
“The chances of any startup working are already low, and if you add up the corruption risk and legal and political risk, it’s insane to start a company [in Russia] if you could move it to California or ...
- USC, UCLA, Caltech get joint grant to fuel tech start-ups in L.A. @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 12:10 PM EDT
With funding from the National Science Foundation, three of the top universities in Southern California are teaming up to supply instruction, events and research aimed at helping technology start-ups flourish ...
- Job listing service ZipRecruiter raises $63 million @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Aug 26, 2014 11:34 AM EDT
ZipRecruiter, a Santa Monica start-up that tries to simplify tasks for recruiters, has raised $63 million in initial venture capital funding as the 4-year-old service races to keep up with growing demand....
- Wickr butts into conversation on Wall St chatroom @ Financial Times - Mon, Aug 25, 2014 12:20 PM EDT
firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @hannahkuchler , Funded by investors including Gilman Louie, founder of the CIA's strategic venture fund, Silicon Valley venture capitalist Jim Breyer, funded by investors ...
- European media bet on tech start-ups @ Financial Times - Sun, Aug 24, 2014 12:25 PM EDT
European media companies are committing hundreds of millions of dollars to investing in digital start-ups, as they look for ways to diversify away from stalling growth in their core businesses. In the ...
- [$$] Join the Money Crowd @ Barrons.com - Sat, Aug 23, 2014 1:36 AM EDT
Once the purview of the very wealthy, the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act allowed accredited investors—defined as those with $200,000 in annual income ($300,000 for couples) or a household net worth of $1 million or more, not including a primary residence—to provide angel investing. Prior to the act's implementation …
- Swiss startup creates a wearable chair so you can rest anywhere @ Engadget - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 9:17 PM EDT
Most of the wearable gadgets getting people hot and bothered either strap onto your face or your wrist, but Swiss startup noonee has cooked up a little something that straps to your legs instead. Well, ...
- Is Google Too Big for Pittsburgh? @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 6:20 PM EDT
Startups blame the company for stealing engineers and driving up wages
- This Is Y Combinator's Next Hot Area of Investment Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 1:06 PM EDT
For the first time, the accelerator program is actively recruiting startups outside the tech space.
- LG's L-series phones keep the flair but drop the specs @ Engadget - Thu, Aug 21, 2014 8:11 AM EDT
With its latest L-series devices, LG is sticking to its script of building low-spec devices that retain some of the design cues, features and software of its higher-end handsets. Like earlier models, both ...
- Big Business Meets the Startup World Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 20, 2014 11:47 AM EDT
- US investors pump funds into Europe's digital scene @ Financial Times - Tue, Aug 19, 2014 1:40 PM EDT
American venture capital groups are investing more into European technology start-ups, as US investors look to cash in on the rise of the continent's fledgling digital groups. New data show that Europe's ...
- Security software makers learn to counter-punch more @ USA TODAY - Sun, Aug 17, 2014 2:24 PM EDT
Successful intrusions into the computer systems of Fortune 500 companies are fast becoming routine.
- Google snags Instagram-scanning city guide startup Jetpac @ Engadget - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 8:28 PM EDT
Google's summer of startup acquisitions rolls on, ladies and gentlemen. In today's installment, the search giant snapped up a San Francisco-based travel startup called Jetpac for (you guessed it!) an undisclosed ...
- Transitioning From the Secure Corporate Nest to Entrepreneur Digs Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
- 5 Startups to Watch at Y Combinator's Demo Day Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 15, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
- Why Leveraging Sales to Finance Growth Is Better Than Wooing a VC Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 14, 2014 10:30 AM EDT
- 4 Tips From Experts on Hiring the People Who Make the CEO a Star Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 6:30 PM EDT
- San Francisco software company Lookout raises $150 million for mobile security @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 1:26 PM EDT
San Francisco mobile security company Lookout nabbed a $150 million investment, the largest funding round raised by a security company this year. The investment exceeds all previous funding rounds combined ...
- The 7 Due Diligence Basics for Investing in a Startup Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 13, 2014 9:30 AM EDT
- What's on your HDTV: Shark Week, 'Wilfred' series finale and 'Mission Blue' @ Engadget - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 6:43 PM EDT
This week sports fans can check out preseason NFL action, Little League World Series and the US Men's basketball team. Of course, it's also Shark Week and as usual, Discovery is trying to squeeze a few ...
- VC quarterly report: Looking a lot like the last dot-com boom @ San Jose Mercury News - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 3:10 PM EDT
Any way you slice it, the second quarter this year has been bigger and better for VCs and startups than any other quarter in about a decade -- and we may have the dot-com boom to thank for at least part ...
- BuzzFeed plans feature films, gets $50 million from Andreessen Horowitz @ Los Angeles Times - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 1:05 PM EDT
BuzzFeed, the website known for its humorous top-10 lists, is expanding into feature films.
- How Kickstarter Turned Into the Venture Capitalist's Best Friend @ BusinessWeek - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
Crowdfunding didn't turn into a VC killer after all. Projects that raised more than $100,000 on Kickstarter have gone on to raise hundreds of millions from venture capitalists
- BuzzFeed receives $50 million from Andreessen Horowitz @ USA TODAY - Mon, Aug 11, 2014 4:53 AM EDT
BuzzFeed gets a $50 million investment from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz.
- Coax the Right Tech Nerd to Partner With at Your Startup Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 8, 2014 3:30 PM EDT
- General Electric Wants to Act Like a Startup @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 7, 2014 7:55 PM EDT
Its FastWorks project aims to roll out products faster and cheaper
- Arrogance Is Good: In Defense of Silicon Valley @ BusinessWeek - Thu, Aug 7, 2014 6:00 AM EDT
The tech industry’s elite have a reputation for arrogance. Do they deserve it?
- Have a Burning Business Question? Ask the Expert: Alex Katz. Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 1:30 PM EDT
- Which 'Senior' Startup Founder Is The Smarter Investment? Benzinga - Wed, Aug 6, 2014 10:35 AM EDT
If you're a venture capitalist, your office is typically swarmed on a daily basis with startup founders of archetypal fashion: college students and recent grads in their “signature Mark Zuckerberg hoodie ...
- 20 Somethings vs. 50 Somethings Which "Senior" Startup Founder is the Smarter Investment? (Top 10 Attributes … Benzinga - Mon, Aug 4, 2014 9:00 AM EDT
If you're a Venture Capitalist, you're office is typically swarmed on a daily basis with startup founders of archetypal fashion... ...college students and recent grads in their “signature Mark Zuckerberg ...
- 5 Essential Reads for Startup Entrepreneurs Entrepreneur - Fri, Aug 1, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
- Investments in L.A. tech more than triple since 2009 @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 1:20 PM EDT
It turns out Snapchat, Tinder and Oculus Rift are not the only hot tech companies in Southern California. There’s so much startup action in the Los Angeles and Santa Monica that the region has become a ...
- An Insider's Perspective on Wooing Investors to Your Startup Entrepreneur - Thu, Jul 31, 2014 10:30 AM EDT
- 4 Reasons Why Your Startup May Never Be Successful Entrepreneur - Wed, Jul 30, 2014 11:30 AM EDT
- Manatt, ICM, Originate launch O Labs, new investment arm for startups @ Los Angeles Times - Wed, Jul 30, 2014 11:21 AM EDT
A law firm, a marketing agency and a software development company have formed a joint venture based in Los Angeles to incubate startups building products and services in line with the needs of major businesses, ...
- Thinking of Joining an Incubator? Check Off These 5 Things First. Entrepreneur - Tue, Jul 29, 2014 4:30 PM EDT
- A Reality Check for Anyone Eager to Work for a Startup Entrepreneur - Tue, Jul 29, 2014 7:00 AM EDT
- How Much of Your Company Should You Give to New Co-Founders? Entrepreneur - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
- 5 European Startups That Google Should Fund Benzinga - Mon, Jul 28, 2014 2:33 PM EDT
Google (NASDAQ: GOOG ) (NASDAQ: GOOGL ) recently announced that it will begin investing in European startups. The company's venture fund, Google Ventures, already assists local startups, including Flatiron ...
- Funding Flash: a new firm in town, and $500 million available for biotech @ San Jose Mercury News - Fri, Jul 25, 2014 2:03 PM EDT
In case Silicon Valley’s venture pool wasn’t frothy enough for you, there’s a new VC firm in town. PointGuard Ventures, started by VC veterans Krish Panu and Pete Thomas, announced on Thursday their new ...