- What $100 Million in New Funding Means for Ipsy, Michelle Phan's Beauty Box Startup Entrepreneur - Fri, Sep 18, 2015 7:00 PM EDT
- Why This VC Is Bullish on Detroit Building the Internet of Things Entrepreneur - Fri, Sep 18, 2015 1:30 PM EDT
- In-home tech-support provider HelloTech expanding beyond L.A. with new funding @ Los Angeles Times - Fri, Sep 18, 2015 11:43 AM EDT
In-home tech-support company HelloTech has quickly added $12.5 million in funding to expand to Orange County and across the country from Los Angeles.
- To Encourage Crowdfunding, Change the Definition of an Investment Company Entrepreneur - Thu, Sep 17, 2015 11:15 AM EDT
- Venture capitalists' top policy priority: Immigration reform @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Sep 15, 2015 8:00 AM EDT
The No. 1 issue that politicians must tackle now? According to a survey of venture capitalists based in the U.S., it’s immigration reform.
- Inside the Smart Game of Late Fundraising Rounds Entrepreneur - Mon, Sep 14, 2015 12:00 PM EDT
- Didi Kuaidi ups ante in China with $3-billion funding round @ Los Angeles Times - Wed, Sep 9, 2015 1:04 PM EDT
Uber may have deep pockets, but its largest rival in China is proving two can play at that game.
- Have a Burning Business Question? Ask the Expert: Venture Capitalist Tony Conrad. Entrepreneur - Wed, Sep 2, 2015 12:15 PM EDT
- Quoted: How about a bottle of tech bubbly? @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Sep 1, 2015 12:50 PM EDT
“I think we are absolutely in a condition that you would qualify as bubbly by any stretch of the imagination. This is hubris, chest-bumping behavior: Bigger. Better. Wider. Me.” —
- Mobcrush raises $11 million to get people watching others play mobile games @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Sep 1, 2015 10:43 AM EDT
More than 100 million people flip on the Twitch app to watch videos of other people playing video games, devoting nearly two hours a day to the habit.
- What Types of Companies Is Peter Thiel's Founders Fund Actually Investing In? Entrepreneur - Tue, Aug 25, 2015 4:00 PM EDT
- BT outbowls Sky to show England's next Ashes series @ Engadget - Mon, Aug 24, 2015 3:50 AM EDT
The 2015 Ashes series may only have concluded yesterday (with England retaining the urn), but broadcasters are already focusing their attention to the next round of tests in two winters' time. After stealing ...
- Google Just Invested $100 Million Into This 3-D Printing Startup Entrepreneur - Thu, Aug 20, 2015 12:13 PM EDT
- The Do's and Don'ts of Asking for an Intro to a Venture Capitalist Entrepreneur - Wed, Aug 19, 2015 3:00 PM EDT
- NBCUniversal invests $200 mln in BuzzFeed Reuters - Tue, Aug 18, 2015 9:26 AM EDT
Comcast Corp's NBCUniversal said on Tuesday it had invested $200 million in online publisher BuzzFeed, the latest move by the media conglomerate to tap into a younger audience. NBCUniversal invested $200 ...
- Jessica Alba's Honest Co. raises $100 million to expand @ Los Angeles Times - Fri, Aug 14, 2015 4:09 PM EDT
Actress Jessica Alba was looking for healthful baby-care products when she launched Honest Co. in 2012, but the business now sells much more than diapers and baby formula.
- At Silicon Valley Bank, risky tech startups are lucrative business @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Aug 13, 2015 9:34 AM EDT
Part lender, part consultant, part cheerleader and part investor, Silicon Valley Bank has been a nursemaid to countless startups -- Airbnb, Fitbit, Pinterest and TrueCar, to name some recent ones -- as ...
- Meet The Man Looking To Change The Face Of The Detroit Startup Scene Benzinga - Tue, Aug 11, 2015 3:17 PM EDT
Mark Alhermizi has always followed his passion to be an entrepreneur. He graduated from both the University of Michigan Business and Law Schools, founded and sold Gas Station TV and is already working ...
- It's Every Entrepreneur's Responsibility to Invest in Other Startups Entrepreneur - Tue, Aug 11, 2015 9:30 AM EDT
- Quoted: Tim Draper’s new startup reality series @ San Jose Mercury News - Mon, Aug 10, 2015 10:36 AM EDT
“The thing we try to teach them is that startups come from the heart. . . . You have to be ready to fail.” –Tim Draper, renowned venture capitalist and
- 'Startup U': San Mateo's Draper University is focus of reality series @ San Jose Mercury News - Mon, Aug 10, 2015 1:15 AM EDT
ABC Family shines spotlight on ambitious young entrepreneurs
- New aerospace program to help El Segundo start-ups @ Los Angeles Times - Sat, Aug 8, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
A European program specializing in aerospace innovation has chosen the city of El Segundo, next to LAX, to be its first U.S. location.
- UC to fund early-stage life science startups @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Aug 4, 2015 8:04 PM EDT
Startups created at the University of California can compete for funding during a first-of-its-kind UC competition. The university system will give one $150,000 award and three $50,000 awards to early-stage ...
- Venture capital investing stays hot @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Aug 4, 2015 7:15 PM EDT
A new report out this week shows that last quarter was the largest for venture capital investments in Silicon Valley since 2000 -- an astonishing $9.1 billion -- refuting, for the time being, any murmurs ...
- VC firms pledge more diversity, but accountability remains loose @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Aug 4, 2015 6:41 PM EDT
In one of the most public and unified admissions that the venture capital world is too male and too white, VC firms Tuesday pledged to bring more women and minorities into the industry.
- Venture Capital Confidence Hits Two-Year Low Entrepreneur - Tue, Aug 4, 2015 4:46 PM EDT
- Kapors to spend $40 million on tech diversity initiatives @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Aug 4, 2015 12:08 PM EDT
Mitch Kapor, one of the co-founders of Lotus, and his wife, Freada Kapor Klein, have been a force in recent years in the effort to diversify the tech industry. Today,
- Venture Capital Isn't Partying Like 2000 Entrepreneur - Mon, Jul 27, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
- Silicon Valley's financial tech boom: When your tablet becomes your adviser @ San Jose Mercury News - Thu, Jul 23, 2015 9:00 AM EDT
Technology made by Silicon Valley startups is giving the banking industry a run for its money.
- VC report: Flipboard seeking to raise $50 million; ag tech gets another boost from Google @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Jul 22, 2015 1:47 PM EDT
Flipboard, the mobile news app, is raising $50 million in a new round of funding, according to a new financial filing. Flipboard has authorized the sale of 22.7 million shares
- Engadget giveaway: win a TCL Roku TV Color Series! @ Engadget - Tue, Jul 21, 2015 11:00 AM EDT
TCL has just launched its Roku TV Color Series, which might be what you need to really tie the room together. Sure, the display has 16.7 million colors, but now the outside has a splash green, pink or ...
- Medallia announces unicorn status with $150 million funding round @ San Jose Mercury News - Tue, Jul 21, 2015 7:30 AM EDT
A little-known — but quickly growing — tech company in Palo Alto has announced a monster funding round that propels it to unicorn status. Medallia, a Palo Alto firm that
- Venture Capitalists Pouring Money Into Bitcoin Benzinga - Tue, Jul 21, 2015 6:50 AM EDT
A recent study by Mattermark showed that venture capitalists have become increasingly interested in bitcoin companies. Since 2012, more than $800 million has been invested in digital currency startups ...
- Venture capital investment stays robust across U.S., in Los Angeles @ Los Angeles Times - Thu, Jul 16, 2015 9:17 PM EDT
Despite concerns that some start-ups are getting more investment than their business plans merit, venture capitalists don't appear ready to slam the brakes.
- 'The Last Starfighter' is getting a TV series with VR scenes @ Engadget - Wed, Jul 15, 2015 1:55 PM EDT
The Last Starfighter tested the limits of early computer-generated movie graphics, and it's about to explore uncharted waters once again. Original writer Jonathan Betuel is developing The Starfighter Chronicles, ...
- How the Top VCs Want to Be Pitched Entrepreneur - Mon, Jul 13, 2015 9:00 AM EDT
- 10 Companies That Are Probably Going Public in the Next Year Entrepreneur - Fri, Jul 10, 2015 6:00 AM EDT
- VC firms raise $10 billion in second quarter @ San Jose Mercury News - Wed, Jul 8, 2015 1:50 PM EDT
U.S. venture capital firms raised more than $10 billion during the second quarter this year, the largest quarter of fundraising since 2007, signaling the investment boom in tech startups will continue at ...
- An 8-Point Checklist to Help You Find the Startup Partner of Your Dreams Entrepreneur - Wed, Jul 8, 2015 1:30 PM EDT
- Lenovo LaVie Z series review: super light, super compromised @ Engadget - Mon, Jul 6, 2015 11:00 AM EDT
The Lenovo LaVie Z series is a winner. Or at least it was before I tested one for this review. The HZ550, as it was originally called, captured our attention at CES for being the lightest-ever 13-inch ...
- Anatomy of a VC Deal: How One Seattle Startup Raised $12.5 Million Entrepreneur - Sun, Jul 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT
- Quinn: SF tech firms too focused on solving problems for First World elite @ San Jose Mercury News - Sat, Jul 4, 2015 3:39 PM EDT
San Francisco, as the new tech capital, may not have the gravitas to foster companies that want to change the world.
- 6 Steps to 'Dancing' Through Conversations With Your Business Partners Entrepreneur - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 6:30 PM EDT
- 3 Ways to Find the Right Investor for Your Business Entrepreneur - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 6:30 PM EDT
- Berlin: The Startup City That's Still Starting Up Entrepreneur - Mon, Jun 29, 2015 7:30 AM EDT
- How a Developer Boot Camp Marched Its Way to Millions Entrepreneur - Sat, Jun 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT
- Qwilt Raises $25 Million To Lead Video Intelligence, Will 'Strive' For IPO Benzinga - Thu, Jun 25, 2015 3:35 PM EDT
Qwilt is frequently cited for providing detailed information about the world's leading streaming video platforms, including Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX ) and Hulu . Today, the firm is gaining some attention ...
- The Magic of New York for Startups Entrepreneur - Thu, Jun 25, 2015 3:30 PM EDT
- 5 Definitive Laws First-Time Entrepreneurs Must Adopt Entrepreneur - Tue, Jun 23, 2015 6:00 PM EDT
- CrossCut Ventures raises $75 million for fund targeting L.A. start-ups @ Los Angeles Times - Tue, Jun 23, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
CrossCut Ventures, one of Los Angeles’ most prolific venture capital firms, has raised a $75-million fund that would enable it to invest in about 20 additional start-ups over the next two years.