Video technology company Unruly Media has published new insights into the life cycle of branded viral videos. According to Unruly's research, the most critical days in a video's lifetime are those immediately following its launch:
Unruly's Social Diffusion Curve measures a video's virality by graphing its average daily number of shares. The chart shows a strong positive correlation between number of shares in the first three days and number of all-time shares.
Other data from the research show that:
- 10% of video shares occur on day 2
- 25% of shares occur in the first 3 days
- 50% occur in the first 3 weeks
- 66% occur in the first 3 months
Sarah Wood, Unruly's COO and co-founder, explains that such a focus "increases the likelihood of creating a viral cascade in the crucial first days of a campaign and ... leads to increased views and shares over the longer term."
The current Social Diffusion analysis is based on its Viral Video Chart. Unruly has been tracking the Internet's most successful viral videos for seven years, offering brands social analytics and video tracking capabilities.
More From Business Insider
- AD OF THE DAY: Rhett And Link Make The Strangest Chiropractor Commercial You'll Ever See
- This Is David Beckham's Most Viral Video Of All Time
- 15 Jarring Ads That Will Keep You From Texting And Driving