SAN CARLOS, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 5, 2013) - Check Point® Software Technologies Ltd. (
For a full copy of the new report, The Impact of Mobile Devices on Information Security, please visit:
From smartphones to tablets, mobile devices continue to cause ongoing concern for IT teams responsible for information security. Sensitive corporate information can be easily transported, leaked, or lost while the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) movement has dramatically increased the number of expensive security incidents. Even so, corporate information, including sensitive customer information, are increasingly stored on personal mobile devices and not managed by corporate IT.
Based on a survey of nearly 800 IT professionals, the report quantifies the dramatic growth of BYOD, exposes the frequency and cost of mobile security incidents, and identifies the main challenges faced by businesses of all sizes. Key findings include:
- Surge in Personal Mobile Devices Connecting to the Corporate Network - Among companies that allow personal mobile devices, 96 percent say the number of personal devices connecting to their corporate networks is growing, and 45 percent have more than five times as many personal mobile devices as they had two years ago.
- Mobile Security Incidents Common and Costly for Businesses Large and Small - More than half (52%) of large businesses report mobile security incidents have amounted to more than $500,000 in the past year. Even for 45 percent of SMBs with less than 1000 employees, mobile security incidents exceeded $100,000 in the past year.
- Mobile Platform with the Greatest Perceived Security Risks - Android was cited by 49 percent of businesses as the platform with greatest perceived security risk (up from 30 percent last year), compared to Apple, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry
- Corporate Information Not Managed on Mobile Devices - Despite costly mobile incidents, 63 percent of businesses do not manage corporate information on personal devices, and 93 percent face challenges adopting BYOD policies.
- More Mobile Devices Store Sensitive Customer Information - More than half (53%) of all businesses surveyed report there is sensitive customer information on mobile devices, up from 47 percent last year.
"Without question, the explosion of BYOD, mobile apps, and cloud services, has created a herculean task to protect corporate information for businesses both large and small," said Tomer Teller, security evangelist and researcher at Check Point Software Technologies. "An effective mobile security strategy will focus on protecting corporate information on the multitude of devices and implementing proper secure access controls to information and applications on the go. Equally important is educating employees about best practices as majority of businesses are more concerned with careless employees than cybercriminals."
Check Point has been a leader in mobile information protection for more than twelve years. As organizations continue to face challenges with mobile threats, the Check Point Mobile Access Software Blade provides a safe and easy solution to connect to corporate applications over the internet with smartphones, tablets, or PCs. The solution provides enterprise-grade remote access via both Layer-3 VPN and SSL VPN, allowing for simple, safe and secure connectivity to email, calendar, contacts, and corporate applications.
For more information about Check Point's complete range of mobile and information security solutions, visit: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/index.html#endpoint
About the Report:
The report, The Impact of Mobile Devices on Information Security, surveyed almost 800 IT professionals in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan. This is the second survey on this topic, and the report evaluates differences in responses to similar questions asked one year ago. The goal of the survey was to gather data to quantify the impact of mobile devices on corporate information security.
To read the full report, please click here: http://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/products/check-point-mobile-security-survey-report2013.pdf
About Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.
Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. (www.checkpoint.com), the worldwide leader in securing the Internet, provides customers with uncompromised protection against all types of threats, reduces security complexity and lowers total cost of ownership. Check Point first pioneered the industry with FireWall-1 and its patented stateful inspection technology. Today, Check Point continues to develop new innovations based on the Software Blade Architecture, providing customers with flexible and simple solutions that can be fully customized to meet the exact security needs of any organization. Check Point is the only vendor to go beyond technology and define security as a business process. Check Point 3D Security uniquely combines policy, people and enforcement for greater protection of information assets and helps organizations implement a blueprint for security that aligns with business needs. Customers include tens of thousands of organizations of all sizes, including all Fortune and Global 100 companies. Check Point's award-winning ZoneAlarm solutions protect millions of consumers from hackers, spyware and identity theft.
©2013 Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Technology & Electronics
- Check Point
- Mobile Devices
- Information Security