NEW ORLEANS, May 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Shell Oil Company has once again sponsored CHILDREN AT RISK to take a deeper look at high school performance in math and science education. Each year, CHILDREN AT RISK ranks the top STEM High Schools when ranking the Top High Schools across Texas. This year, in recognition of Shell's large demand for a skilled STEM workforce in Louisiana, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Texas, CHILDREN AT RISK has ranked the Top 10 STEM High Schools in Louisiana.
Sponsoring STEM School Rankings is just one of the ways that Shell is working in the community to promote STEM education. A few weeks ago, the 4th Annual Shell STEM Showdown was held at the University of New Orleans. More than 100 high school students were challenged to build a geodesic dome from plastic straws and masking tape. The competition was described as "fierce." "From our work with business partners in the community like Shell, it's apparent that STEM education is essential as we prepare students for a workforce that is increasingly reliant on skills in these areas," said Dr. Bob Sanborn, president and CEO of CHILDREN AT RISK.
Compiling and Analyzing the Data
High schools were measured on a set of math and science specific indicators that capture both performance and engagement in these areas. The indicators include performance on math and science standardized tests and college entrance exams, and offerings and enrollment in advanced math and science courses.
Top 10 STEM High Schools in Louisiana
- Benjamin Franklin High School (Orleans Parish)
- Haynes Academy School for Advanced Studies (Jefferson Parish)
- Baton Rouge Magnet High School (East Baton Rouge Parish)
- Lusher Charter School (Orleans Parish)
- LSU Laboratory School (LSU Laboratory School)
- Caddo Parish Magnet High School (Caddo Parish)
- Mandeville High School (St. Tammany Parish)
- New Orleans Charter Science and Mathematics High School (Orleans Parish)
- Fontainebleau High School (St. Tammany Parish)
- Zachary High School (Zachary Community School District)
CHILDREN AT RISK hopes these rankings bring awareness to the importance of making STEM education a priority.
Media Contact: Rashena Lindsay Flagg, 713.301.4577
- Personal Finance - Career & Education
- Investing Education
- Shell Oil Company
- CHILDREN AT RISK