SAN JOSE, Calif. & CAMBRIDGE, UK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
CSR plc (LSE: CSR; NASDAQ: CSRE) is making it far easier for device manufacturers to deliver multi-room networked home audio products thanks to the VibeHub platform, launched today at CES 2014. The platform, available now to developers, will enable consumers to enjoy synchronized multi-room audio around the home using its SyncLock technology. This technology enables products to take content from any local or cloud-based source and create an unparalleled multi-room audio experience over an existing home Wi-Fi® network.
The VibeHub platform gives developers a way to create whole home audio systems that are quick and easy to bring to market. CSR’s industry proven technology can be easily integrated and gives developers flexibility to differentiate their designs and determine the end-user experience.
The fully featured VibeHub platform can be used to build wireless speakers, intelligent audio adaptors, networked audio amplifiers and a wide range of other consumer audio products. These devices can simultaneously pull content from multiple sources including digital media servers, Internet radio or cloud services and distribute around the home autonomously. VibeHub’s extensible networking capabilities enable interoperability with a wide range of today’s popular wireless streaming protocols, including Apple’s AirPlay, which means that consumers aren’t limited to buying into a specific ecosystem.
The platform’s Bluetooth® capabilities enable consumers to stream audio from a wide range of mobile devices, making it easy to share music over the home network to any room without the Bluetooth audio source device having to join the home Wi-Fi network.
“Consumers want networked audio products that accommodate any input and music source they want to use, and allow them to listen to different content in different rooms without any effort,” says Anthony Murray, Senior Vice President, Business Group at CSR. “Building on CSR’s strong audio heritage, we have developed a flexible platform that enables manufacturers to offer consumers cost-effective whole home audio systems that ‘just work’ - giving them the experience they desire.”
- Access point agnostic: VibeHub does not rely on special features in a home’s access point so there is no need for end users to purchase additional equipment
- Most extensive connectivity functionality: The SyncLock technology inside VibeHub enabled products allows for more connectivity options than any other solution on the market, including Bluetooth, Bluetooth Smart, 802.11n, Ethernet, SPDIF as well as analogue jacks
- Interoperability with a wide range of devices: Common music sources including Windows PC, Android, as well as Apple iOS and OSX devices are interoperable. The system allows bridging into a network via existing protocols which lowers the cost of entry for the consumer as they can use existing music sources in the home
- Consumer experience: The VibeHub takes advantage of CSR aptX® coding technologies for high-quality audio over a Bluetooth connection and a higher bitrate version with forward error correction (FEC) for IP networks. This high quality IP network variant is supported by SyncLock technology, which has been developed for broadcast Audio Over IP applications. SyncLock distributes audio over the network and enables tight synchronization between speakers, meaning there is no noticeable time-lapse experienced by listeners in different rooms. The system can also support multi-user scenarios, giving users the option to listen to different music in different rooms, from a variety of different sources
- Intuitive system control: CSR has developed Android and iOS apps to control the system which can be easily reskinned by end brands to fit with their look and feel. Many controllers can be used concurrently, enabling a true multi-user, multi-room audio experience
CSR is a global provider of innovative silicon and software solutions for the location-aware, media-rich, cloud-connected world. Our platforms are optimized for the automotive navigation and infotainment, digital cameras and imaging, connected home infotainment and wireless audio markets. We provide solutions to complex problems in the audio-visual, connectivity and location technology domains across a broad range of markets, with a technology portfolio that includes GPS/GNSS systems, Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi®, FM, NFC, aptX® and CVC™ audio codecs, JPEG, MPEG, H.264 imaging, PDL printing, microcontrollers, DSPs and broadband receivers. CSR's technology solutions and market platforms enable its customers to deliver a superior user experience and are adopted by leaders in the auto, computer, home and mobile markets. More information can be found at www.csr.com. Keep up to date with CSR on our technical blog or CSR people blog, YouTube, Facebook or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CSR_plc.
CAUTIONARY NOTE ON FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS
This press release contains certain statements (including statements concerning plans and objectives of management for future operations or performance, or assumptions related thereto) that are not historical facts and constitute ‘forward looking statements’ within the meaning of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 in relation to CSR’s VibeHub™ platforms, and their performance characteristics in consumer electronic products, and other future events and their potential effects on CSR. These forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as ‘will,’ ‘can deliver,’ ‘offers', 'allows', 'to enhance,’ ‘enables,’ 'designed to' and other similar expressions regarding the performance characteristics of CSR’s VibeHub™ platforms,and their performance characteristics in consumer electronics products, and their potential effects on CSR. Any future release of CSR’s VibeHub™ platforms or consumer electronics products containing such technology, related products or modifications to such products’ capability, functionality or features are subject to ongoing evaluation by CSR and its customers, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by CSR or its customers and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. Such forward-looking statements represent the current expectations and beliefs of management of CSR, and are based upon numerous assumptions regarding CSR’s business strategies and the environment in which CSR will operate and therefore involve a number of known and unknown risks, contingencies, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are beyond the control of CSR, including, but not limited to, those detailed from time to time in CSR’s periodic reports (whether under the caption Risk Factors or Forward Looking Statements or elsewhere), which are available at the SEC’s web site http://www.sec.gov. Each forward looking statement speaks only as of the date hereof. CSR does not undertake to release publicly any updates or revisions to any forward looking statements contained herein, otherwise than required by law.
Bluetooth® and the Bluetooth logos are trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and licensed to CSR.
Wi-Fi®, Wi-Fi Alliance®, WMM®, Wi-Fi Protected Access®, WPA®, WPA2®, Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ and Wi-Fi Multimedia™ are trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
Other products, services and names used in this document may have been trademarked by their respective owners.
- Technology & Electronics
- Audio Technology