SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwire -03/01/12)- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO - News) today announced that du, a leading integrated telecommunications service provider in the UAE, is deploying a nationwide mobile broadband network enabled by a Cisco mobile Internet solution to deliver highly secure, high-speed 4G long-term evolution (LTE) mobile data services to its customers.
du will use the Cisco ASR 5000 Series as its mobile Internet evolved packet core (EPC) platform to provide greater network performance and intelligence. This will enable du to develop and deliver innovative new mobile services and enhanced experiences to its five million mobile customers.
- Designated as a 4G mobile specification, LTE is designed to provide multi-megabit bandwidth, more efficient use of the radio network, latency reduction and improved mobility. This combination aims to enhance the user's interaction with the network and further drive demand for mobile multimedia services.
- LTE 4G will allow du's five million mobile customers to even more readily access their Internet services, providing an effortlessly fast service with speeds up to 150Mbps. This opens up online opportunities like never before, allowing for HD video streaming on mobile devices, seamless gaming experiences, quicker than ever social networking and an overall enhanced connectivity experience that takes mobile internet and Internet on the go to the next level.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is purpose-built for the complexities of the mobile network. It is a robust, multimedia services platform that brings a new level of network and customer intelligence to the mobile network. Such intelligence is critical to delivering real-time, personalized mobile services.
- The Cisco Mobility Management Entity (MME), a key component of the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, is critical to the network function of the 4G mobile core network, known as the evolved packet core (EPC). The Cisco MME manages multiple back-end functions, including authentication, paging, and mobility -- with 3GPP, 2G and 3G nodes, roaming and other functions.
- The Cisco Serving Gateway (SGW) and the Cisco Packet Data Network Gateway (PGW) are two essential elements to du's LTE core network. The Cisco SGW provides superior throughput and processing, while the Cisco PGW acts as policy enforcement and manages quality of service (QoS). The Cisco solution will enable du to provide an initial aggregate capacity of up to 10 Gbps.
- By combining multiple functions into a single, carrier-class platform like the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, du can reduce signaling overhead, distribute session management and take full advantage of the network's control and user plane capabilities. As network demand grows, the Cisco ASR 5000 enables du to multiply network capacity with minimal investment.
- du's customers will also benefit from additional mobile security as provided by the Cisco ASA 5585 firewall, ensuring highly secure mobile communications and transactions.
- Cisco Advanced Services is working closely with du to commission the network and prepare for the launch. Cisco will also offer managed services to operate the packet core network for the first year allowing du to speed new services to market at lower cost and with high reliability, offering a lower total cost of ownership and a greater return on investment.
- According to the Cisco® Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2011 to 2016, worldwide mobile data traffic will increase 18-fold over the next five years, reaching 10.8 exabytes per month -- or an annual run rate of 130 exabytes -- by 2016. The expected sharp increase in mobile traffic is due, in part, to a projected surge in the number of mobile Internet-connected devices, which will exceed the number of people on earth (2016 world population estimate of 7.3 billion; source: United Nations).
The Cisco Next-Generation Internet (NGI) architecture aims to make service provider networks more mobile, more virtual and more visual. By investing in the Cisco NGI architecture, du can scale its 4G mobile broadband network to meet the explosion in mobile data traffic resulting from the rapid adoption of smartphones and mobile Internet services by consumers.
- Hatem Bamatraf, executive vice president, Network Development and Operations, du
"This new 4G LTE network ensures that du will continue to deliver the most advanced, innovative mobile services to mobile customers across the country. Our internet users will experience speeds like never before, giving them a seamless online experience, making connectivity on the go even more convenient. Cisco's Mobile Internet solutions not only greatly improve the performance of our mobile network, but help us provide a reliable, safe and secure mobile experience to our customers."
- Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president and general manager, Mobile Internet Technology Group, Cisco
"The Cisco mobile Internet solutions we provide, along with the support of our advanced services organization, will help deliver the performance and intelligence du needs to quickly and efficiently launch new, advanced mobile services like video and mobile Internet with the level of quality and reliability its subscribers have come to expect."
- Fady Younes, client director, Cisco UAE
"This deployment today extends on Cisco's long-standing collaboration with du and adds to the history of successes in the UAE. The LTE network is a clear demonstration of du's commitment to deliver the best services to its customers.
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco Mobility Solutions
- View the full Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast for 2010-2015
- Keep up with Cisco's news by visiting the company's Platform Blog
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit SP360 or Twitter @CiscoSP360 and @CiscoSPVideo
- To join the conversation on Mobility: Cisco Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 Feed
Tags/keywords: Cisco, Aggregation Service Routers, ASR, ASR 5000, ASR 9000, Next-Generation Internet, mobile Internet, 4G, LTE, long term evolution, mobile video, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, Kelly Ahuja, du
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO - News) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1905011
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1905017
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1905014