SALT LAKE CITY, Aug. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- According to an Overstock.com (OSTK) survey, nearly 25 percent of all back-to-school shopping will take place online this year, with electronics purchases leading the way.
The survey also showed:
- 49 percent of back-to-school shoppers intend to spend the same amount as last year, while 19 percent expect to spend more and 32 percent expect to spend less.
- 27 percent expect to purchase electronics.
- 65 percent of electronics purchases will take place online.
- Parents will spend $308 on electronics for their students.
- 60 percent of respondents plan to buy clothing for their students, mostly in brick and mortar stores.
- Parents will spend $210 on clothing for girls and $166 on clothing for boys.
- 20 percent of respondents' children wear uniforms to school.
The survey took place between July 30 and Aug. 7, 2013 and included 408 respondents.
Overstock.com (OSTK) is an online discount retailer based in Salt Lake City, Utah that sells a broad range of products including furniture, rugs, bedding, electronics, clothing, jewelry and cars. Worldstock.com, a fair trade department dedicated to selling artisan-crafted products from around the world offers additional unique items. Main Street Revolution supports small businesses across the United States by providing them a national customer base. The Nielsen State of the Media: Consumer Usage Report placed Overstock.com among the top five most visited mass merchandiser websites in 2011. The NRF Foundation/American Express 2011 Customer Choice Awards ranked Overstock.com #4 in customer service among all U.S. retailers. Overstock.com sells internationally under the name O.co. Overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com and http://www.o.co) regularly posts information about the company and other related matters under Investor Relations on its website.
Overstock.com®, O.co®, Worldstock Fair Trade® and Club O Rewards® are registered trademarks of Overstock.com, Inc. O.info™, Club O™, Club O Dollars™ and Your Savings Engine™ are trademarks of Overstock.com, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding future online purchases. Additional information regarding factors that could materially affect results and the accuracy of the forward-looking statements contained herein may be found in the Company's Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2013 which was filed with the SEC on July 25, 2013, and any subsequent filings with the SEC.
- Consumer Discretionary