The bulls returned to Wall Street last week as the European Central Bank finally quenched the stimulus hopes of many. President Draghi announced the “open monetary transactions” plan which aims to ensure the financial stability of debt burdened member nations by giving the ECB flexibility when it comes to buying government bonds. This effort was well received all over the globe and the pressure is now on Chairman Bernanke to act; investors will keep a close watch on the Fed press conference this Thursday in hopes of an additional round of stimulus on the home front [see also ETF Technical Trading FAQ].
Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- WisdomTree Dreyfus Chinese Yuan Fund (CYB): Markets overseas could experience volatile trading overnight as the latest China new yuan loans data comes out. CYB could gap in either direction Tuesday morning; analysts are expecting for $600 billion in new loans versus the previous reading of $540 billion.
- Rydex CurrencyShares Euro Currency Trust (FXE): The euro will come into focus on Wednesday morning as the European Union announces details regarding the proposed banking union. German CPI data may also tip the currency in either direction; analysts are expecting for inflation to come in unchanged at 2%.
- iShares MSCI New Zealand Investable Market Index Fund (ENZL): This ETF may experience a volatile open on Thursday morning following the overnight reaction to the Reserve Bank of New Zealand interest rate decision. Analysts are expecting for the benchmark rate to remain steady at 2.5%, however, the economic commentary issued after the rate decision itself will likely offer more insights and potentially increase trading volumes for ENZL on the day.
- State Street SPDR Gold Trust (GLD): The precious yellow metal could become the center of attention on Thursday if Chairman Bernanke leaves markets hanging onto stimulus hopes. The FOMC rate decision will surely come under criticism following the ECB’s commitment last week to continue its massive bond-buying initiative.
The S&P 500 Index has crossed major resistance and the benchmark now sits at highs for 2012. Traders should be aware however that the Volatility Index has retraced back below the 15 mark, and as such, it may be due for a bounce higher which could spark a brief correction on Wall Street. For the S&P 500 Index, near-term support comes in at the 1,400 level, while a break below this level would likely welcome accelerating selling pressures. Gold will also come into the spotlight this week as the precious metal looks to hold its head above $1,700 an ounce and resume its longer-term uptrend.
Below, we have highlighted three fundamental trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Long DXJ
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading To continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 7-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 45+ All-ETF model portfolios . Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF. Our ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition.
- ETF Analyzer allows investors to compile and download custom analysis reports, comparing any number of potential investments on the basis of cost, dividend yield, portfolio diversity, and historical performance, among other metrics.
- ETF Edge , the monthly Pro newsletter, delivers the latest ETF news and commentary, along with investment ideas, industry news, and reviews of new exchange-traded products.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged.
- Get high quality analyst research with 60+ ETFdb Category Reports that highlight price drivers, factors to consider, and intriguing ETF options for every asset class and strategy.
- Enhanced ETF Screener download capabilities , including the option to export results from this proprietary tool to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
- ETF Insider: More Earnings, More Volatility
- ETF Insider: No Rest For The Bulls
- ETF Insider: Volatility Is Still Lurking
- Ten Unexpected Observations On YTD ETF Returns
- ETF Insider: Bullish Abroad, Defensive At Home