Ex-CBOT chief accused of fleeing U.S. to avoid $18 mln bill -report


CHICAGO, Oct 5 (Reuters) - Former Chicago Board of TradeChairman Patrick Arbor is accused of fleeing the United Statesto avoid paying millions of dollars to his ex-wife, the ChicagoSun-Times reported on Saturday.

A judge in Cook County, Illinois, which includes Chicago,issued a bench warrant on Tuesday that calls for Arbor to bejailed until he pays $288,983 to his ex-wife AntoinetteVigilante, according to the Sun-Times.

Arbor, who turns 77 on Friday, has repeatedly ignoredjudge's orders in his divorce case, the newspaper said. He hasbeen ordered to pay Vigilante, 56, more than $18 million and isthought to have moved to Italy or Switzerland, according to thereport.

"I can't talk about it," Arbor told Reuters on Saturday whenreached on his cellphone.

Asked where he was, Arbor said: "I'm in Europe. I'm anItalian citizen."

Arbor was chairman of the Chicago Board of Trade, now ownedby CME Group Inc, from 1993 to 1999.

A Cook County judge issued an arrest warrant for him onApril 10 for contempt of court and set his bail at $24,887,according to the Cook County Sheriff's Office website.

County court records show that Vigilante filed for a divorcefrom Arbor last year and that a final judgment was entered onTuesday. Vigilante could not be reached for comment.

View Comments (0)

Recommended for You