A couple years ago, 4chan founder Chris Poole gave a speech arguing that Facebook and Google "degrade our humanity."
He said this because Facebook and Google do not allow users to be anonymous.
Poole's argument was that by forcing users to go be their real names online, Facebook and Google force these users to live a single version of themselves online – the public-friendly version.
Poole believes people actually have many versions of themselves offline – one for the office, one for home, one for the family, one for strangers. He believes people should be able to live as richly online as they do offline.
Edited by Justin Gmoser. Originally published in July 2013.
More From Business Insider
- How Every Square Foot Of An Apple Store Is Designed To Make You Spend More Money
- All The Different Ways That 'iCloud' Naked Celebrity Photo Leak Might Have Happened
- Nude Photos Of Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Ariana Grande Leak In Massive Hack
- This Is How Google Finds Its Floating Internet Balloons When They're Ready To Land
- Here's Another Sign That Samsung May Be Moving Away From Android
- Information Technology
- Arts & Entertainment