According to an article published on Yahoo! Shine, a woman spends around $13,000 on cosmetics from age 16 to age 65. The article explains that the average woman shops for makeup five times a year, and spends around $39.45 on each trip.
This article got me thinking about how much more personal upkeep costs me than my husband. I always pay special attention to my family's budget, and where our money goes, so I'm quite often reminded that I spend more. Not only do my products have higher price tags, but I also use many more. This is how my husband's personal care costs compare to mine.
When I think about all the things I buy throughout the year just to maintain my appearance it's shocking. There is an entire list of products that I use on a regular basis that includes, but isn't limited too;
- Hair cuts: $20 a month, or $240 a year
- Concealer: $10 every two months, or $60 a year
- Waterproof mascara: $15 twice a year, or $30 a year
- Shampoo: $15 a month, or $180 a year
- Hair coloring: $20 every two months, or $120 a year
- Do-it-yourself manicure: $5 a month, or $60 a year
- Body lotion: $20 every two months, or $120 a year
- Moisturizer: $25 every three months, or $100 a year
- Hair styling spray: $20 a year
Just the products listed here are projected to cost me $930 a year; however, the prices are based on the retail prices of the items I use on a regular basis. The actual amount I spend can vary greatly depending on special deals I find with sales and coupons.
My husband's costs
After looking at what my husband spends each year for personal care, I am a bit jealous. He always looks and smells nice, but doesn't spend close to what I spend. Here is a list of his personal care expenses.
- Shampoo: $2 a month, or $24 a year
- Hair trimmers: $50 a year
- Cologne: $25 twice a year, or $50 a year
- Hair cuts and shaves: Free (DIY)
All told, his well-groomed, great smelling look costs him around $124 a year.
In the end, you can see that I spend at least $806 a year more on personal upkeep than my husband. Also, while the article from Yahoo! Shine only focuses on makeup alone I still wanted to compare my number to that $13,000 average. If I were to spend $930 a year from age 16 to age 65 I would spend $45,570, and quite frankly that number astounds me.
*Note: This was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Do you have a personal finance story that you'd like to share? Sign up with the Yahoo! Contributor Network to start publishing your own finance articles.More from this contributor: