CHANHASSEN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
There’s a new fitness craze sweeping the nation: Alpha Training. Developed exclusively by Life Time – The Healthy Way of Life Company (NYSE: LTM), Alpha Training is a progression-based program created to maximize the impact of workouts for all fitness levels, and is designed to emphasize strength, power, endurance, speed, agility, coordination, balance and flexibility. Consisting of three offerings — Alpha Try-Outs, Alpha Fundamentals and Alpha Training — the training program is based on a “controlled chaos” format using Functional movement patterns to improve overall fitness levels.
“At Life Time we want to continue to challenge our members with the best new programs that help them achieve their total health objectives,” said Jason Stella. “Our Alpha Training, which is along the lines of CrossFit, is for anyone looking to change things up, try something new and take their fitness to the next level.”
Top Alpha performers have the opportunity to compete in Life Time’s annual Alpha Showdown competitions, which begin at the local level with winners progressing to Regionals throughout September & October. The top male and female winners from each of those regional competitions will receive, a cash prize and a travel voucher for the opportunity to be crowned Alpha Male or Alpha Female at the National Alpha Showdown on Nov. 16 in Atlanta, GA. Anyone that is interested in competing in the national showdown can do so, regardless of them qualifying at regionals.
Whether driven to compete or not, the goal of Alpha Training is to challenge personal fitness abilities and mental stamina. For those who want to be their own Alpha, Life Time Trainers offer these top tips.
- Learn the fundamentals: Think about the movements you do every day. Whether new to exercise or already an elite athlete, the movements you do daily involve functional movement patterns such as picking things up and pressing things above your head. These movements provide the foundation to becoming an Alpha.
- The battle is won within: Don’t underestimate yourself. Alpha Training is about unleashing the athlete in you. Focus less on those sweating and pushing themselves beside you and more on challenging yourself. Alpha provides a great opportunity for people to see where they are, where they can go, and what goals they may achieve along the way.
- Constantly test yourself: Alpha Training constantly changes to challenge participants as no two days are the same. Step outside of your comfort zone and go beyond the weight room or treadmill. Try a high intensity interval workout or learn how to properly perform Olympic lifting movements.
- Equip yourself: Equipment such as medicine balls, kettlebells, ViPRs, sandbags, battling ropes and prowler sleds are designed to blend strength training with functional training and movement. Many of the basic movements involved with these tools mimic real world activities and engage the entire body at once.
- Achieve, rest and recover: Alpha status means fighting through it. Alpha training will tax every energy system and exhaust every muscle group. Always take time to rest and focus on recovery, sleep well and eat cleanly. Most importantly, stay focused. Being an Alpha challenges our bodies in a way that always leaves us wanting more.
About Life Time Fitness, Inc.
As The Healthy Way of Life Company, Life Time Fitness (LTM) helps organizations, communities and individuals achieve their total health objectives, athletic aspirations and fitness goals by engaging in their areas of interest – or discovering new passions – both inside and outside of Life Time’s distinctive and large sports, professional fitness, family recreation and spa destinations, most of which operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Company’s Healthy Way of Life approach enables members to achieve this by providing the best programs, people and places of uncompromising quality and value. As of September 18, 2013, the Company operated 106 centers under the LIFE TIME FITNESS® and LIFE TIME ATHLETIC® brands in the United States and Canada. Additional information about Life Time centers, programs and services is available at lifetimefitness.com.
- Health Care Industry
Lauren Flinn, 952-229-7776